User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
The Year of the Second Circum

What, you might ask is the Second Circum? Well, itís a circumnavigation ofÖ.in this case, the United States by me, solo, on a BMW R1200RT. Iím starting from my home in Indian Harbour Beach, Florida the day after my 70th birthday and riding up to Canada where Iíll ride the Trans Canadian Highway (or other more scenic routes) from St. Johnís,NL, to Victoria, BC. After that Iíll ride the Pacific Coast Highway to San Diego, and then across the southern US border and around Florida to return home some 2 months later. Grandiose Plans? I think not. Just an excuse to get out of Florida during part of the hurricane season. And, since Iíve already visited a National Park in all 49 states this just seemed like the logical next step. There will be numerous diversions, such as The Polar Bear Express to Moosomee. And, I hope many of you will keep up with me. Iíll have SPoT tracking and lay down a position report every 20 minutes at my http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...CVL85IXzZokDvh[/FONT]

Now, the First Circum. Itís different. Two years ago my wife and I set out from home on our 32 foot Nordic Tug in April and cruised North through the Chesapeake Bay to the Delaware, then up the Hudson to the Erie Canal System and across LakeOntario into Canada where we cruised the lakes and canals to Chicago. She jumped ship at that point (I would have too, if I had 2 herniated disks like she did). So I was solo again, South down various rivers to Mobile, AL, where I followed the coast to Marathon Key and North to the house, 9 months later.

The adventure begins tomorrow, July 6th. More to follow (MTF).
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
'06/'07....What a year it was! 49 States, 5 Provinces, AND New Zealand, North and South Island

cberry screwed with this post 05-25-2014 at 03:30 PM Reason: change URL for SPOT
cberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:15 AM   #2
Jedediah
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Happy 70th Chuck!

Best wishes on number 70. A milestone for sure! Ride safe and keep the report coming. That's quite a "Circum" you have planned.

We look foward to more,

Jed.
09 BMW R1200GS ADVENTURE

"We are all going to die of something if we live long enough!." My Father
Jedediah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:04 AM   #3
dawggawn
Nihilist . . . maybe

Oddometer: 1,282
Damn, you gotta Nordic Tug! C'mon, links to that adventure please. I head on up to Skipper Cress and dream every couple years.

Have fun on your current adventure.
dawggawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,666
Happy 70th and best wishes for a safe 2nd Circum!!
Old 07-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,948
Happy Birthday, and safe riding! Can't wait to see the pics and read the report!

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
gregg
gregg

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedediah
Best wishes on number 70. A milestone for sure! Ride safe and keep the report coming. That's quite a "Circum" you have planned.

We look foward to more,

Jed.
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
faylo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Good luck! You're gonna have a blast!
faylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:49 AM   #8
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Year of the Second Circum

Preface: This is a WORD document into which I have pasted some pictures, then copied the whole thing to the ride report. I’ve not tried this before, and if it doesn’t work I’ll do it another way next time.

Many thanks to those wishing me fair winds and calm seas for this trip.

ate month="7" day="5" year="2008">July 5, 2008ate>
Here are a couple of shots from the “KickStart” birthday bash/send-off party:
Yours truly, plus some guest’s bikes….ALL BMWs

The cake was a work of art!

The tour bike as the centerpiece at the party
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
'06/'07....What a year it was! 49 States, 5 Provinces, AND New Zealand, North and South Island

cberry screwed with this post 01-05-2009 at 07:04 PM
Old 07-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Second Circum, RR restarted

The Rock in Seven Days

To summarize my 7 day visit to Newfoundland and Labrador doesnít do it justice. But, these are the highlights, day by day..

Tuesday, ate year="2008" day="15" month="7">7/15/08ate>, Day 1. After a brief sleep in Placentia I set out to do the Avalon Peninsula and Irish Loop but the weather was terrible, zero-zero visability and very strong winds, an unusual combination in the States. All I could see was telephone poles. I was able to get a picture of Cape St. Maryís Light to start my hunt for Lighthouses.

I cut the ride short by not going to Trepassey Bay. and instead, rode from Salmonier to Signal Hill, where Dougger met me and shepherded me to Cape Spear and dinner that evening. Old and New Cape Spear Lights were captured, albeit poorly, again due to the weather. It was a 300 km day.
Signal Hill

New Light

Old Light

Wednesday, ate year="2008" day="16" month="7">7/16/08ate>, Day 2. On my own today for the Great Lighthouse Hunt.. I may get the names wrongÖ.how would I know? From Brigus I think I got a long shot of the Brigus Head Light. Then I stumbled upon what I believe to have been the Trinity Cove Light, down a long gravel road. But the real lucky stumble was an iceberg sighting in Dunfield. Overnighted at Bonavista, for another Lighthouse. A 400km day today.

Brigus Head Light

Iceberg

Bonavista Light

Thursday, ate year="2008" day="17" month="7">7/17/08ate>, Day 3. All this time Iím seeing wonderfully scenic coves and mountains, which I canít even begin to describe. But today is billed as a transit day to get me to the West Coast. With my SPoT beacon Hot, anyone watching my tracking website can see where I am, and wonder of wonders, in pops Rod while Iím catching a bite to eat near Gander. Some steady rain today did not dampen my visits to Terra Nova and Gros Morne National Parks. Overnighted in Rocky Harbour, and got another Lighthouse. Todayís ride was 410km.

Rocky Harbour Light

Gros Morne NP

Friday, ate year="2008" day="18" month="7">7/18/08ate>, Day 4. Transiting north today. Overnighted at Flowerís Cove and nabbed another Light. Before shutting down for the night I visited the National Historic and World Heritage Site of Líance Aux Meadows. Have you noticed that Iím trying to get all the corners of the island (The Rock)? 317km today.

Flower Cove Island Light

Líance aux Meadows, where the Vikings landed

Saturday, ate year="2008" day="19" month="7">7/19/08ate>, Day 5. From Flowerís Cove I rode to met the early ferry to Labrador in St. Barbe. While there I rode up to Red Bay, the end of the paved road, and visited the Red Bay National Historic Site. On the way back to the ferry I bagged another lighthouse, the Point Amour Light. Spent the night in Port au Choix. 194km today.

Point Amour Light, Labrador

Sunday, ate year="2008" day="20" month="7">7/20/08ate>, Day 6. Leaving town I pictured the Port au Choix, or Port Riche, Lighthouse and visited the Port au Choix National Historic Site. I rode through the southern branch of the Gros Morne NP to reach the end of that road.. I found the Woody Point Lighthouse along the way. Spent the night in Corner Brook. 257km today.

Port Riche Light, Port au Choix

Woody Point Light

Land Fault, Lush Green on Left, Parched Brown on Right (2nd shot)

Monday, ate year="2008" day="21" month="7">7/21/08ate>, Day 7. Midnight ferry tonight, all day to ride! Rode the Port au Port loop and tried to ride out to the lighthouse on Long Point, but the road became unsuitable for anything but an ATV so I didnít get to that lighthouse. The highlight of the day was a surprise meeting with CoolHand in Stephenville. It was a privilege meeting Ďda Boss of the ďRide the RockĒ website and we shared some quality time. The ride to the ferry through Table Mountain territory was beautiful and very windy.

Table Mountain

So I did get all 4 corners plus Labrador. It was not just all about lighthouses, either.

Tonight I'm in Quebec, and tomorrow I move to Montreal for a few days. I'll post here again when I start west and you can track my SPoT progress around the USA. I'm going to try to keep this as near to real time as web access and fatigue permit. The bike's to be serviced andnew tires put on in Montreal. I got about 8K out of my Pilot Road II's. I had hoped for better.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Old 07-23-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
Coolhand
Puck slapping maplesucker

Oddometer: 545
Good Stuff Chuck, good meeting you, and good luck with the rest of the trip. ill be checking in on the ride report and spot page.
There is always something new to discover when you Ride The Rock! - Ridetherock.com
Coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:20 PM   #11
Jedediah
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Wow Chuck,

You just started a following of the ADV community. Nice prose and photos. Looking forward to your thread.

Ride safe,

Jed.
09 BMW R1200GS ADVENTURE

"We are all going to die of something if we live long enough!." My Father
Jedediah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #12
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,948
Looks as though you're having a great ride, Chuck!

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #13
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Taking a Break

I'm in Rawdon, a far suburb of Montreal, and trying to catch up on this paperwork. Plan to back track tomorrow to Quebec and play Tourist. For you IBA guys, I've posted a Canadian National Parks Challenge on their site for those interested in a National Parks Tour similar to the one sanctioned in the US at http://www.ironbutt.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2118.

I'll start moving westward in a few days. No pictures of the ride from Newfoundland to here. Maybe some tomorrow when I go to Quebec.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Old 07-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #14
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
First class ride report, Chuck. Bravo, my friend!

We missed you on the West Coast of Newfoundland by just one day...

Doh!

Here's a photo of our bikes, taken at Flowers Cove, just 24 hours after you were parked at the very same spot...

My Photos In Google Earth

DRZ400SK4 screwed with this post 07-26-2008 at 09:53 AM
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:32 AM   #15
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sightseeing in Quebec

Yesterday was a quick trip to see Quebec City. I walked the Old city and took a few pictures. It was a beautiful day.

Buskers always draw a crowd

Vieux Quebec
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL