ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2008, 06:35 AM   #1441
pfestus1
Slasher

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishl
Found the Plowscrew, up the southern face of Salt Pond Mountain.

Next up, moving 'er south.
Dammik, Krish! I was afraid this would happen! I'd a beat you to this one IF the Mill Mtn Coffee in B-burg had FREE WiFi. I was there at 07:50 trying to get on line to post, but they charge, and I thought maybe I'd make it home rather than set up and account....etc...

Let me know if you want some company when you go to set the next TAG

2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation,
Gotta get my post count up
pfestus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:42 AM   #1442
Riparian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfestus1
Dammik, Krish! I was afraid this would happen! I'd a beat you to this one IF the Mill Mtn Coffee in B-burg had FREE WiFi. I was there at 07:50 trying to get on line to post, but they charge, and I thought maybe I'd make it home rather than set up and account....etc...

Bruced twice in one day... good try, man. The game moves fast out here!
Riparian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:42 AM   #1443
krishl
Rocket Engineer

Oddometer: 80
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfestus1

Hank, sorry I missed you, but you know you gotta get a wideband tablet pc comm system if you're going to play this game so far from home! If I'd only looked at the thread yesterday afternoon, I'd have gotten it last night after visiting Craig Creek's swinging bridge and Sinking Creek's covered bridge.

Alas, I have to work all day long today and have an evening appointment to work on an early 80s motorcycle that I'm planning to make into a cafe racer or something.

So, I found the next tag this morning before coming back to work. It's well within a day's ride of Plowscrew
Old 08-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #1444
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,882
well, we got it SW, now to try and second guess n00bs
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:53 AM   #1445
krishl
Rocket Engineer

Apologies for the blurry font on the Plowscrew photo, but those pocket cameras don't have much for depth of field.

So, as advertised, I moved 'er south (though not that far).

This baby obelisk was Erected and Dedicated on Independence Day in 1916 (same year the Clover Hollow Sinking Bridge was constructed), by the Alleghany Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, marking the site of an Indian Fort c. 1756.

You'll find it on a short but curvy road named after a lake, in Toms Creek Valley near Brush Mountain. The "lake" road connects a road named after both a meadow and a brook to a road named after a glade.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:00 AM   #1446
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT
well, we got it SW, now to try and second guess n00bs
I hope they keep it SW for a little while...just to see if I recognize anything.

...but if it does go back North.....somebody should find this place and "tag" it....

....it's definitely worth the ride to find it...

btw....if that "plowscrew" tag had shown up on Friday I may have had a chance..........
Old 08-05-2008, 07:09 AM   #1447
Riparian
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishl
Apologies for the blurry font on the Plowscrew photo, but those pocket cameras don't have much for depth of field.

So, as advertised, I moved 'er south (though not that far).

This baby obelisk was Erected and Dedicated on Independence Day in 1916 (same year the Clover Hollow Sinking Bridge was constructed), by the Alleghany Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, marking the site of an Indian Fort c. 1756.

You'll find it on a short but curvy road named after a lake, in Toms Creek Valley near Brush Mountain. The "lake" road connects a road named after both a meadow and a brook to a road named after a glade.
Pretty cryptic on the road names, there krisl! That is in the heart of my college stomping grounds (brush mountain)... Damn this job.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:28 AM   #1448
DSKYZD
R1150R.net

Oddometer: 143
At least I tried.

Oh Well...

Going for the high irk factor...a n00b AND a scooter. If only I were faster. There about 8:30. May have waved to pfestus1 on the way out and maybe tallbob on the way in, both on 460. I figured the TVR guys would beat me to it.

Still beats working.

DSKYZD
DSKYZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:34 AM   #1449
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSKYZD
Going for the high irk factor...a n00b AND a scooter.

SCOOTER TAG-O-RAMA THREAD NOW!!!

pssssst....go back out and get the oblisque...so we can see more scooter pics

Old 08-05-2008, 07:38 AM   #1450
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,040
Jack pot!!! Found it now I just have to run the 300 mi and back before any locals snag it. (great clues!!!)
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:42 AM   #1451
krishl
Rocket Engineer

Hard for me to believe there wasn't a motorcycle accident with all this traffic on that little road. Heck, I almost had 3 accidents myself:

1. on 460, heading west past pandapas pond, i was coming up behind a medium-sized truck carrying about half of a fair-sized house on a trailer sized for a really big lawn mower. the trailer was wobbling a good bit, and the house was spitting insulation out of several orifices, so i opted to hang way back rather than sneak around it. coming down the west side of Gap/Sinking Creek Mts, i was still hanging way back when the left rear trailer tire split in half and the loose half went rolling across the median and smacked a pickup truck with little effect. the trailer and its house continued on down the road shredding the rest of the tire, with the wobbling getting worse. i turned off onto 42 before the wreck occurred (i'm assuming it wrecked eventually, though i couldn't find the crash site later to confirm my suspicions; otherwise, i would have documented the great house wreck of '08).

2. on narrow little 1.3-lane Clover Hollow Road, coming 'round a right-hand curve, well on my side of the road, a late-for-work commuter approached, at speed, also well on my side of the road. i considered my ditch, and he considered his. fortunately for me, he went into his, but as near as i could tell, he pulled out and continued on his way.

3. a beaucoup-point buck and his two petite girlfriends trotted across the road in front of me. actually this one wasn't close, as i saw them before the commenced the 10-meter mosey.

krishl (used to be "cdhall")
Old 08-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #1452
Riparian
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
At least I tried.

Oh Well...

Going for the high irk factor...a n00b AND a scooter. If only I were faster. There about 8:30. May have waved to pfestus1 on the way out and maybe tallbob on the way in, both on 460. I figured the TVR guys would beat me to it.

Still beats working.

DSKYZD
Nice scoot! Can't wait for Freak to see it! I think we should inundate this forum with scooters!

How long was the ride from Bluefield? If i'm not mistaken, there's a Husq dealer there -- How is that place, anyway?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:08 AM   #1453
DSKYZD
R1150R.net

Oddometer: 143
Thanks, it's the perfect ride for my wife.

120 miles round trip from my house.

Yes, Swampfox deals in Husky's but I haven't seen any there in a while. Lots of ATV stuff. He's a Can Am dealer and has sold several Spyders. Most recently he picked up Kawasaki from a small dealer in Pounding Mill so that isn't going to help my KLR itch.

knybanjo, I'm sure that tag has been nabbed. I've lost the element of surprise now though.
DSKYZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #1454
Retro OP
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,277
Quote:
Going for the high irk factor...a n00b AND a scooter.
We're really glad you're playing, but we've already got our fill of noobs on scooters. You'll have to find another niche.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #1455
vtstrm0709
n00b

Oddometer: 5
This one's for Hank...

Obelisk on Shadowlake Rd, 5 minutes from Virginia Tech's main campus.

Next one up early evening...moving NW, but only slightly...
vtstrm0709 is offline   Reply With Quote