User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
rich021150rt OP
sticky side down

Oddometer: 86
back from Gillette, Wyoming

we made it back last sunday (trailered from eastern PA) out to wyoming and back. Unbelievable roads out there, we clocked about 1,500 miles going up to montana (custards battlefield) and also east to mt rushmore and the crazy horse memorial then over to the beartooth pass and chief joseph's trail into yellowstone park. Great weather, only one threatening storm on our way back to the hotel in moorcroft (that was the first day of the rally). Was a big and violent storm from what i heard (quarter size hail) but we missed most of it and just got the rain. 4 of us went including myself. 2 LT's, 1 GSAdv (1200 series) and my FJR.

pics below:

http://skylandsnjbmwriders.smugmug.com/gallery/5487564_5xXES#335597964_iXwpC

Cobalt Blue 2006 Yamaha FJR1300
Silver 2002 BMW R1150RT (sold)
rich021150rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Wrathchild
Ogri Rules!

Oddometer: 161
Thumb Great ride! errr drive?

Nice pictures, they bring back some memories. Truly spectacular roads! I include on of the shots I took from the seat when Ive been in that area. In 05 with my GF on her HD on the way back from CA (we took southern route to West Coast, via AZ, came back through NV, ID, WY on my 87 K75S about 9k in 5 weeks) and again in 06 on the recon mission of Black Hills (3 days of scouting the area and partying my ass of in Sturgis ) and back road assault on Mid-West (NE, KS, ID, IA, MO, IN, IL, OH - much more enjoyable than superslab miles on GFs 03 H-D Softail Night Train for somewhere between 5-6 k in 10 days; yes, Im working on both reports, but it cuts into my riding time). Youre right about the WY roads, especially by Yellowstone. I enjoyed every mile. Missed the Beartooth Pass, though. Oh well, got to leave something for the next time, right? MT and Glaciers are still on the to-do list (maybe this Aug, got couple of weeks off).
I enjoyed your pix, please post more if you have.
I especially liked the shot with the WY sign on the guard rail and the comment about it: riding Harleys?!?! Thats unheard of! Those big touring bikes can't be all that comfy on the open road. Dont those usually travel on a trailer hooked up to some gas guzzling truck, or motor home?!?

Err I'll shut up now.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
You covered a lot of ground!! Thanks for the link to your great pics
Old 07-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,278
Yuppies Without a Cause

I was there. I came up with a group through Utah, and we went to Cody and saw the museum of the West there. Then went to the MOA National. I joined the MOA in the late 80's. This was the first National I have been to since 1998. I must say that this outfit seems to have gone down hill. The seminars seemed to be from the same people who were doing them 10 years ago, or worse, were infomercials by tour companies. It used to be that everyone would be there as a vendor - for example all the tire co's were there. But this year it was just Metzler. One got the impression that the people who run the MOA were excluding people with new ideas, and as a result stiffling the organization. Further there were a lot of stuck up people there. You could say good morning to them, and they would stare back at you like they were saying, "who the fuck are you." So my description for the event in it's present form is Yuppies Without a Cause. Dave
Old 07-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
The Gillette rally isn't typical of MOA rallies held in the east. There weren't as many vendors as usual and you gotta figure the price of gas and the cost of lodging in Gillette has something to do with it.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
rich021150rt OP
sticky side down

Oddometer: 86
gillette

just saw that only 5,103 attended, that's the lowest tally in about 5 years no doubt due to the location and more probable the high cost of fuel to get out there. I added more pics tonight to that link (about 40 more) and they'll be coming from other members in our little group. Even got a pic of me on the beartooth pass.

Cobalt Blue 2006 Yamaha FJR1300
Silver 2002 BMW R1150RT (sold)
rich021150rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
zadok
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Great trip and pics, Rich.

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbu...4275.html?sl=z
zadok is offline   Reply With Quote