User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
wigge OP
Time traveler

Oddometer: 28
Trips and troubles in southern Sweden

While we were going through and copying files for the Cape North report Necron mentioned that he had almost figured out where that road was located. He's been talking about this little road for more than a year and complaining that he only found it by accident and didn't know if he would be able to find it ever again (face it, he was lost at the time )

So, at the weekend we started out in a light drizzle knowing it would soon be better. This time equipped with both GPS and maps, we should at least be able to get into the vincinity of the exit point and that should hopefully trigger some memory.

As we were trying to stick to gravel when we could, we had to double back a few times when we missed the road we were supposed to take. At one of these Necron's bike stop dead in the middle of the road.

So he manage to start on the wrong gear, I think.
He fire it up and it dies within seconds. Ok, so something has got stuck in the sidestand switch.
He fire it up and it dies within seconds, again. Here I start to suspect something is amiss and get off my bike to see if he needs some help.

It turns out that as soon as he turn the handlebar left, it's as if the ignition switch is turned off. We push the bike to the side of the road so we can assess the problem and see what we should do. We're not even halfway to the lost road, and at the moment finding it again seems to be something that will happen another day.

As we stand there and probe the cable trunks the problem seems to escalate. There's not a chance to ride it home in it's current state (not being able to take too sharp left turns becomes not being able to drive straight). So he calls for a ride, but telling them that it's no rush as we'll try to fix it.

I'd started to strip the right side of Necron's Dakar while he's making the call (good thing he brought almost all his tools with him) so we have easy access to the cable trunks that we've pinpointed the fault to.

Necron finds something suspicious pretty quick, inside the trunk from the ignition switch we can actually feel the end of a cable. Without a knife or something else sharp it takes a while to make a hole in the tough material, but once the hole is made we can see the two ends of a cable, very neatly cut and also some damage on another cable.

I don't think I have any tool that would make such a neat cut...

Once located it was only a matter of minutes until it was fixed, and the bike was acting as it should again. A little electric tape and a few straps and it's hard to see the difference from when we started.

Confident that we got it all sorted out we called off the ride, packed all tools..

..and the search for the lost road continue on roads like this:

We also rode on some typical Swedish gravel roads (usually hard as concrete) softened by two days of rain and really fun to ride on (unfortunately I was having so much fun on these parts that I forgot to stop for some photos..).

We actually found the road that Necron lost some time ago, but the first part was not really accessible...

If our bikes hadn't weight 200kg+ we might have got them under the main trunk of the fallen tree.

Fortunately for us we could take a bigger gravel road less than a km around this obstacle and enter the road there without jumping or crawling under trees.

Is the amount of dirt on the bike a meassure of how much fun we had?

Is this a warning for snakes/eels or twisty road? Well, it was not one that we took so we won't know for sure..

We took gravel roads back home and at least I enjoyed every minute of the sun (that did break through the cloud cover), the roads, and the surroundings.

Lesson learned: I really need to get my tooltube built.. 'cause I had no tools with me today , and you (obviously) never know when you need them..

/w - out'n'ridin
wigge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,557
Fantastic ride, report and pics.. thanks for posting
Old 11-19-2008, 03:36 AM   #3
necron__99
Grrrrravel, nice.

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigge
(face it, he was lost at the time )
Ah, but I found it, didn't I.

Welcome on board mate.

Don't forget to post the trip we did after.

Ad augusta per angusta
- To high places by narrow roads
necron__99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
wigge OP
Time traveler

Thanks GB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by necron__99
Ah, but I found it, didn't I.
Indeed we found it. It'll have got to be included in some trip next year.

Quote:
Welcome on board mate.

Don't forget to post the trip we did after.
Thanks, no worries there mate.

So, one week after the last trip I had returned from Linköping early in the afternoon and was itching to ride some more and something different (300km tarmac on a big BMW R1200ST is nothing in one day after all). So with a few roads in mind I called Necron again and he wasn't the one to say no. And it was a good thing he was with me this time it turned out.

Our first destination was a grass-covered trail that I had found on one of my first solo-rides with my Tenere when I was scouting the gravel roads in general to see how many small/fun/... trails we had around home. I chickened out that time because I was riding solo, but most because I had a pair of sirac on the bike.

I'm not sure it shows on the pictures but the first part of the trail wasn't really flat, so for a newbie like me it was only to take it slow and try to stay in one tyre track.

It was also season for blackberries, yummy!

It became a little better after the first 300m, and we could continue beneath a roof of branches.

Of course we both had GPS-units mounted, but at least mine more or less told me to 'turn around to a get to the nearest road' so I quickly made a wrong turn, up on a hill and promptly ended up in the middle of this:

At least the GPS had good coverage here so it didn't take long before we figured out that we should have turned left and not gone straight through the last crossing. Ah well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. It was an interesting experience to get out of there and continue.

I figured that this is a track where they ride horses.. Very nice, but one that I'll probably use rarely (if at all).

The other road I had planned to check out was one that I face-planted on last time I rode on it (I blame my sirac's on that one! Lucky me that I had mounted my crashbars one week earlier...). We turned around because of our tyres that time, so now we had no excuses. This one is actually one of my favourite roads to ride on..

I had hoped that the little puddle would have shrunk a bit since last time, but no such luck.

Necron figured that his feet was going to be wet anyway and voluntered to check out the depth and surface. The road was actually really good, even if the water would reach our engines.

Necron goes first...

I go second...

I have watertight boots and was dry up till this point where the engine stalled and I had to put down my feets...

And of course the road turn out to be a dead end and we had to go through it on the way back as well. This time I made it all the way through before it stalled again, and Necron just breezed through..

Both safe on the other side I try to get my bike running again. It runs on idle, but give it a little gas and it dies... I learned a lot where the different part on my bike are and how high and relatively well-protected the air intake and exhaust is. I still don't know what happened but running on idle for a while solved it. And in the middle of all Necron notice my flat tyre...

This trip I had my tools with me. Necron pulls out a tube that I should be able to use and I start digging around for the 22mm spanner that I need to remove the rear axel... Not there...
Not much to do in that case, the rear wheel is not coming off so we pack our tools and I start driving on my flat. Once that seems to be going ok Necron zips away to get a bottle of slime so I could limp home in more than 5km/h.

Is it supposed to do this?

At least I made it home without too much trouble.

A tad longer than the 1-2 hours I initially though this trip would be.

Many thanks to Necron for beeing there with me.

The good thing with this mishap was that I now know that I have no problem changing a the rear tyre (a MT21) so if there is a chance that I need to change the tyre the next long trip I'll set out with spares strapped on my bike from the start.
Strangely enough I think I was pretty lucky that I got the idea to ride some more and managed to lure Necron on the ride. The flat was due to a fold in my all too big tube (after changing the tyre in Bodö) and was going to happend sooner or later anyway. Probably on my way to work or on the way to the service the next Thursday. So it was probably in the best company and time to get the flat.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
talltony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
The Dakars do have a few problems with the wiring,the loom to the switch(as you found out!)and also next to the rear suspension adjuster the wiring can chafe and short.BMW dealers are aware of this and will 'fix' it free.Take a look here:

http://f650.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=223089
and
http://f650.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Tony
Old 11-20-2008, 05:27 AM   #6
necron__99
Grrrrravel, nice.

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Many thanks to Necron for beeing there with me.
Any time mate.

Need to get away from my desk sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talltony
The Dakars do have a few problems with the wiring,the loom to the switch(as you found out!)and also next to the rear suspension adjuster the wiring can chafe and short.BMW dealers are aware of this and will 'fix' it free.Take a look here:

http://f650.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=223089
and
http://f650.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Tony
Thanx mate. I will check it out.

Ad augusta per angusta
- To high places by narrow roads
necron__99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:18 AM   #7
Andres A
FINDING NEMO

Oddometer: 242
Fantastic places, thanks for share
Old 11-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Both safe on the other side I try to get my bike running again. It runs on idle, but give it a little gas and it dies... I learned a lot where the different part on my bike are and how high and relatively well-protected the air intake and exhaust is. I still don't know what happened but running on idle for a while solved it. And in the middle of all Necron notice my flat tyre...
Check the tubing connected to carburator breathers : you will probabily have a breather tube that is routed down : it fills with water and stop the engine (no-suction : no gasoline in engine...)
solution :
connect it with a "T" juction to another tube fixed down the saddle in a high point.
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
King Frolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468

Beautifull pics. Are the roads somewhere in Småland?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #10
straight cut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Cool2

Superb Shots And Scenery
straight cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:59 AM   #11
snowbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Thanks!

What pretty forest roads. They look wet! (Not just the giaganto puddle.)

rw
snowbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #12
wigge OP
Time traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT
Check the tubing connected to carburator breathers : you will probabily have a breather tube that is routed down : it fills with water and stop the engine (no-suction : no gasoline in engine...)
solution :
connect it with a "T" juction to another tube fixed down the saddle in a high point.
You're absolutely right! There is a long tube from the carburator that ends well below where the water level was when it started to misfire.
I'll put that mod on my todo list right away! Thanks!
Old 11-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #13
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,218
That's some magical forest there...how pleasing to go exploring!
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #14
wigge OP
Time traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Frolic

Beautifull pics. Are the roads somewhere in Småland?
Pretty much in the middle of Bleking actually, only a few minutes ride from where both Necron and I live.
Make a square with Ronneby-Karlskrona the south side, that's the area where these two trips have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpeebles
What pretty forest roads. They look wet! (Not just the giaganto puddle.)

rw
It had been raining pretty constant for a few days prior to the first ride. So yeah, the gravel was soft, the forest roads slippery, but the dust stayed down. Nice
Old 06-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
wigge OP
Time traveler

Sometimes you never learn.. Last weekend the weather was better than in a long time, cloudfree, 25C+. I did a short solo-ride and had a blast, but realised 1/4 on the way that I forgot to bring my camera along so no pics

After teasing Necron with a poor quality photo from my mobile we decided to go on a ride this weekend. Can there possibly be a better way to celibrate the national day doing what you love most, seeing the country from its best side? This time I didn't forget my camera..

Loaded and ready to go, just waiting for Necron to arrive.

He arrived only a few minutes later

The first contact with the gravel was along a ridge, and what followed didn't disspoint us.

Knowing that Necron wasn't using knobbies I wanted to have a look on this road on foot before entering it on bike as it just became better and better the further we rode.

This didn't deterred us at all..

But here it was starting to get a bit wet so at this point we decided to take another road.

We decide to have a look at the road I had to turn around on last week due to a fallen tree, lucky for us the road was cleared now so we didn't have to take the long way around.

We continued through a reserved area for fishing and walking (yes, some of the roads were allowed with motorized vehicles).

The only explanation for this construction we could think of at the time was that the salmons should to be able reach the place where they play.

Tar-snake? Nope, iron-snake.

As we were still within the borders of the reserved area we just enjoyed the surroundings, weather, and the road.

Guess which one is used for motorized vehicles?

Once out of that beautiful area we could open up the throttle a little more without worrying about complaints. The constant sipping of water is finally catching up, and we stopped to decide which way to take from here among other things.

More gravel and we were arriving at what appears to be a dead end at a house. The owner was outside and approached us as we waved and removed our helmets. A really nice chap (he also know who my dad is ), and it doesn't take long before he says If you want a little more challenging ride I can give you a tip ... There are a few trees laying across it, but with your bikes you shouldn't have any problem at all. Turns out he was absolutely right..

But what he probably didn't know about was the tree that blocked the road further down.

We just built a ramp and continued..

As we were closing in on the place for our lunch we passed this guy.

A suitable parking spot was located, we got permission of the locals, and ate our lunch on the beach.

Anyone else that get the opening theme to The Simpsons in their head?

I admit, my maps said this road would be small, but this size?

Another dead end it seems.. Or is it? Time for another recce.

After going through the gate we found this old ramp lined with stones.

Another dead end that turns out to be ok, even if the gate at the end is closed (after a chat with the owner of the house at the end of the official road). I think everyone we were talking to during this trip had been riding earlier in their life. It was a nice road and the gate was open so we could just breeze through.

One last serious stint before going back to civilization.

Civilization...

8.5h, 150km. It's not the quantity of miles that matters, it their quality. A day well spent.

All photos here.