Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #76
jantarek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
Excellent, good luck on your ride!

BTW, I hate to tell you, on a long run like that you will certainly encounter rain somewhere. Cannot avoid it! I would not worry about the Wednesday forecast, just get the rain gear out and go!

It seems like you are going to be doing a blitz run as well, allowing also 10 days for the ride - you will have to "press on regardless", to borrow the rallying motto. No weather considerations, then...
Thanks, I've been trying to get out there for past two years, but no planning that is why I'm starting with trans lab , I can always turn around lol, anyway. no hotels for me, well maybe one or two, i'm hoping to stay in tent most of the time,. It would be nice to get cabin on ferry but only if I find someone to share it with, otherwise I won't cry about it, ( hey I'm cheap). I had a big toss-up between going there or sturgis, but after reading about all the changes they are about to do to trans-lab. it seams like this is last chance to pure adventure out there.

thanks for your posts it will help
My SpotWala
jantarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:40 AM   #77
pmrphoto
pmrphoto

Oddometer: 16
awesome trip information...

I'm planning on heading up there this summer and I'm outfitting an 05GS that I just bought. It's pretty sad to think my biggest concern is my FD!!! This baby has 48K on her clock already so I'm going to see if I can get any repair information from a dealership. Not sure if they do that but I'm going to check.

All that dirt/gravel looks wonderful. Can't wait to get out there and kill black flies with my windscreen!

pat
pmrphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:09 AM   #78
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Awesome ride report Robert, thank you. I'm hoping to do the trip in the same direction as you; starting out from Saint John, New Brunswick. I worked in Goose Bay and flew all over the north and the south coast of Labrador, and I'm itching to see it from the back of a bike. Ride reports like yours just keep me inspired.

Off the top of your head what was the furthest distance between gas stations? Is it the Goose Bay to Churchill Falls leg? 300kms?

I'm also planning to ride the railway trail on the island from Port Aux Basques to St. John's.

Cheers
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:15 AM   #79
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,819
Hopefully doing this trip next summer!! Awesome info, awesome RR!!
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #80
dusty308
wanderer

Oddometer: 444
just stumbled across this. great report! im heading up there for round two this june
cheers
josh
Old 04-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #81
knecht
Pain Killer

Oddometer: 46
Thumb

I enjoyed the read. Nice report.
knecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:33 AM   #82
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 465
cool ride report, cant wait to see where are you going next, robert!
also, a good motivator to get up there myself.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #83
Hulked Up
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Thumb

Great ride report, totally dymystifies the trip. For those of us on the East Coast who can't go to Alaska, this may be the next best thing.
Hulked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #84
wolvertone
Save a mile-Kill a metre!

Oddometer: 171
100% Newfie here! Been living in Louisiana since '94.

Miller, do you recall the Joey Smallwood song "Like ya would"? ,,,,"And when I woke my head was jammed between the bed and wall... Like ya would! ... I dies at you!!!!"

It IS really great to see the roads from a new visitor's eyes, and makes me realize you always take your home for granted. I now complain that all my roads are flat and straight, and people from home say "Yeah, but you see alligators on the road, that's amazing!"

It's all based on your point of view. There's always something good about where you are.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmiller92
As 1/2 Newfie, who spent many summers (even some college in St. John's), it's a delight to see Newfoundland through the eyes of an American landed there for the first time! It's really an amazing place to visit, though, as you can well imagine, a tough place to live. My grandfather was a Labrador fisherman (as opposed to a "banks fisherman") who lived in an outport village 50 miles from St. John's.

I have visited every inch of the TCH many times. I have taken the Newfie "Bullet," the train that used to run the tracks on the right-of-way you have identified as abandoned. I grew up knowing Joey Smallwood (the premier after whom your ferry was named) personally, since he was a family friend.

I grew up in New York City!

Great log. Great story. Great pictures. Thank you for sharing.

Curt

1966 Chang Jiang 750 M1M
1977 Harley Ironhead
1979 BMW R100RT
1990 BMW K100LT (parting out)
1996 Beta Techno
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650
wolvertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #85
hcmiller92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Aye's the bye

No, but I sing a few bars of "Squid Jiggin' Ground." We used to eat squid by the barrel when I was a kid - as well as codsids, brewis and all the other treats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolvertone
100% Newfie here! Been living in Louisiana since '94.

Miller, do you recall the Joey Smallwood song "Like ya would"? ,,,,"And when I woke my head was jammed between the bed and wall... Like ya would! ... I dies at you!!!!"

It IS really great to see the roads from a new visitor's eyes, and makes me realize you always take your home for granted. I now complain that all my roads are flat and straight, and people from home say "Yeah, but you see alligators on the road, that's amazing!"

It's all based on your point of view. There's always something good about where you are.

Steve

BMWMOA #125912
BMWRA #31609
'08 BMW K1200GT
'07 G650 X-Challenge

http://curt-mobile.blogspot.com/
hcmiller92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #86
wolvertone

You mean "Fish and brewis and fat an dat"? Cod tongues, rabbit, Stompin' Tom Conners, Mummers, Ches' Fish and Chips with dressing, gravy and onions. Skipper and Company, OZ FM Radio, NTV. Memories, man, memories!

Man, I gotta go home and visit da kin!

Lard, jumpin dyins me son, shut ya mout!

Steve

Quote:
No, but I sing a few bars of "Squid Jiggin' Ground." We used to eat squid by the barrel when I was a kid - as well as codsids, brewis and all the other treats.

1966 Chang Jiang 750 M1M
1977 Harley Ironhead
1979 BMW R100RT
1996 Beta Techno
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650
Old 04-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #87
hcmiller92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
You got it bye!

And don't forget the scruncheons!

No wonder my ancestors all died of artereiosclerosis at the age of 50. :-)

Where you from, bye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolvertone
You mean "Fish and brewis and fat an dat"? Cod tongues, rabbit, Stompin' Tom Conners, Mummers, Ches' Fish and Chips with dressing, gravy and onions. Skipper and Company, OZ FM Radio, NTV. Memories, man, memories!

Man, I gotta go home and visit da kin!

Lard, jumpin dyins me son, shut ya mout!

Steve

BMWMOA #125912
BMWRA #31609
'08 BMW K1200GT
'07 G650 X-Challenge

http://curt-mobile.blogspot.com/
hcmiller92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #88
wolvertone

Quote:
And don't forget the scruncheons!

No wonder my ancestors all died of artereiosclerosis at the age of 50. :-)

Where you from, bye?

scruncheons!!! OH YEAH!!! I also have two jars of bakeapple jam in my fridge.

I was born in Gander, also lived in Appleton, Carmanville, and St. John's, Mt. Pearl and Corner Brook. My family still lives in central NF (Little Burnt Bay. Lewisporte area)

HiJACK Over!!

1966 Chang Jiang 750 M1M
1977 Harley Ironhead
1979 BMW R100RT
1996 Beta Techno
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650
Old 06-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #89
Mr Kite
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Trans Lab Question

Robert - I'm riding the Maritimes and Trans Lab in late July and I'm very grateful for your excellent posts. On the Trans Lab: I assume you turned your ABS off? (Perhaps a very obvious question.) I've never turned the ABS off on my '04 R1150 GS even though I ride on dirt roads with some regularity (although never more than 10 miles or so). I tried to turn my ABS off following the procedures in the manual but it didn't work. Perhaps I didn't hold the button down long enough. -- I don't have any real dirt riding experience (although I just ordered an instructional DVD from AeroStitch) so I'm going to take it slow for sure. Any other pointers you might offer are much appreciated (...although I've read and re-read all your posts and they seem pretty all-inclusive). THANKS!!!!
Mr Kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #90
rdwalker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kite
Robert - I'm riding the Maritimes and Trans Lab in late July and I'm very grateful for your excellent posts. On the Trans Lab: I assume you turned your ABS off?..
Mr. Kite:

I did try to keep the ABS turned off - but I kept forgetting at times.

My dirt experience was probably very much like yours at the time (took the BMW school this April, so that I am more bold now).

The key, regardless, is to keep your speed down in the loose stuff. I have been fooled by stretches of hard-packed dirt and went up in speed, only to be surprised by the lose stuff again. In other words, be prepared for the marbles at any time. Especially in turns. Although, July is late in the season and the roads should be more settled by then. But, the bugs will be out.

Trying to keep speed down, in my case, resulted in low average speeds: made Goose to Wabush in some 8 hrs, then Wabush to Baie Comeau in about 11h. Many other riders break that run into smaller sections, but then camping is required since hotels are only in Wabush, Lab City and Fermont.

Still, do not be overcome by doubts. Do the run, it is one of the greatest adventures in North-Eastern America.

Regarding ABS: it is a long time since I last rode an 1150, but as far as I remember, you are supposed to hold down the ABS button while you are turning the ignition on. Are you doing that? Or, when firing the bike?

By the way, turning ABS off will not automatically guarantee that you become a gravel-riding hero. You still need to match your speed to conditions and your skill. Slower is better.

The purpose of turning ABS off is to avoid situations during HARD BRAKING, when wheels will naturally slip and the ABS computer cuts the brakes off. At such time, without ABS, you might be able to modulate the brakes yourself.

If you need more organizational info, PM me and I'll reply or call you. I'll gladly help out: Maritimes and Lab/Quebec are just wonderful destinations. I am out of town now (enjoying motorcycling in the Pyrenees, as a matter of fact), but will be back in the US by middle of June.

rdwalker screwed with this post 06-07-2009 at 03:38 PM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote