Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #16
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
gear indication??
errr no there is a rather interesting plug looking thingy under that faux tank that I'm just about ready to pull my hair out figuring what it is.... and it is not the canbus accessory connector.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #17
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie
errr no there is a rather interesting plug looking thingy under that faux tank that I'm just about ready to pull my hair out figuring what it is.... and it is not the canbus accessory connector.
blackie I was answering the orginal question "what does the onboard Computer add" I did not see anyone mention "gear indication".
Old 07-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #18
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
blackie I was answering the orginal question "what does the onboard Computer add" I did not see anyone mention "gear indication".

You see that big N on the display there, HighTech? Here's a hint: it doesn't stand for N00b!

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly

WoodWorks screwed with this post 07-10-2008 at 03:20 PM
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:15 AM   #19
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Thanks Ed...
Dang ... don't take offense but I hope you are wrong on the coolant temp... that is the ONE thing I would really like to keep an eye on ....

I'll hit the website for the "roving pack of bikes" schedule....

Dealer is showing the status of mine is: "produced but not shipped" so I guess that's means several weeks at least transit time from Germany to port of entry to dealer?

Jim
Just to kinda close out my own thread here, I talked to my sales guy today at local BMW dealer and he very confidently assured me that coolant temp was part of the standard "INFO" screen and not part of the OBC upgrade; so for me at least lack of OBC is not a show stopper, although I would order it / like to have it.

Alas, the demo tour is not coming anywhere close to me, and the F650GS that has my name on it is STILL in "produced but not shipped" status while F800GS units (but not the one with my name on it...) have moved ahead in the shipping schedule to "in transit" ... WTF?

Ok ... no more whining for today....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #20
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Just to kinda close out my own thread here, I talked to my sales guy today at local BMW dealer and he very confidently assured me that coolant temp was part of the standard "INFO" screen and not part of the OBC upgrade; so for me at least lack of OBC is not a show stopper, although I would order it / like to have it.

Alas, the demo tour is not coming anywhere close to me, and the F650GS that has my name on it is STILL in "produced but not shipped" status while F800GS units (but not the one with my name on it...) have moved ahead in the shipping schedule to "in transit" ... WTF?

Just hang in there.....
Old 07-17-2008, 09:54 PM   #21
gordo5
Roadkill

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
I took a quick look in the manual and I think the diff is that if you have the obc you have a larger lcd that accommodates the little temp bar graph, otherwise there is a slightly smaller screen that will provide a warning indicator if too hot.
gordo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:32 PM   #22
gordo5
Roadkill

Well, I don't think I was quite right on that. I took another look and it appears you still get a bar graph, just a smaller one. To clarify, I quickly scanned a couple of pages. I hope it's not too hard to read, I had to reduce it to upload it. The second page that I included I really just added to illustrate the obc, which except for mileage numbers only really seems to provide a larger screen with a couple of bar graphs and a ridiculously huge gear indicator. I don't mind having it but only got it because it was on my pre-ordered bike. It doesn't appear to be that big a deal not having it. Enjoy the RIDE!

Name:  manual5.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  110.8 KB
Old 07-18-2008, 05:05 AM   #23
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks!

Thanks Gordo5

See if I've got it:

Pg. 44 - with the OBC option, the display is taller and thus allows the middle section for the extra OBC variables to be displayed and then big honking gear indicator and taller bar graphs on each side of it for fuel & temp.

Pg. 24 If no OBC you get this shorter size display and when flipped to the correct "INFO" screen you would still get a bar graph on each side of it for fuel & temp. ... just squashed down in size?

If that's how it works I'm OK with not having OBC, I'd really just like something better than an over temperature "idiot light"
Old 07-18-2008, 06:26 AM   #24
WoodWorks
House Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo5
Well, I don't think I was quite right on that. I took another look and it appears you still get a bar graph, just a smaller one.
Hm, reading the text on that scanned page (thanks gordo5!), it appears that the temp gauge symbol on the non-OBC display is just a static warning, not a temperature indicator. It reads: "Warning symbols 1 and 2 can appear..." which to my mind means no gauge, just an idiot light.

But then, my mind has been called an idiot light. And a pretty dim one at that.

David

--Curly
Old 07-18-2008, 06:48 AM   #25
gordo5
Roadkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Hm, reading the text on that scanned page (thanks gordo5!), it appears that the temp gauge symbol on the non-OBC display is just a static warning, not a temperature indicator. It reads: "Warning symbols 1 and 2 can appear..." which to my mind means no gauge, just an idiot light.
Ya, that's why I got confused and I'm still not 100%, which is why I decided to just scan it. At the top left of page 24 it says "the horizontal bars above the temperature symbol indicate the coolant temperature". If you look at the symbol on p25 (symbol 2) I *think* they are referring to the lines on the right of the verticle bar. Still not sure though.... I wonder if it just shows up as an idiot light if you have the obc?

JR, again, I *think* you're correct except I don't think you have an 'info' button without the obc but a static display.

Unfortunately the manual is typically vague and lacking detail.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #26
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cry Sigh............ no joy in mudville

Thanks for trying to help

I'll have to wait and see.......

I'll also post this to the 650/800 thread-fest but here is the word I just got from my dealer:

"Just got an update on the release of the F650 GS…

It has been delayed! Problem with the heat shield in the Berlin factory and we now won’t get the bikes until August."

I would "speculate" that this will push back the 800 as well....

I am going to call him and figure out this mess... seems like since there are many 650/800 on the streets in other places now there will be a recall?
Sigh.......................
Old 07-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #27
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer

Question Wtf? ;-/

I just talked to the sales guy and he swears that the display is the same size on the OBC and non-OBC bikes and the on the non-OBC bikes the only difference is that the part of the display in the middle that would flip around to show the different stuff with OBC is just blank space on the non-OBC bikes.

I guess we'll just have to wait until some non-OBCer gets here?
Old 07-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #28
WoodWorks
House Ape

Quote:
I just talked to the sales guy and he swears that the display is the same size on the OBC and non-OBC bikes and the on the non-OBC bikes the only difference is that the part of the display in the middle that would flip around to show the different stuff with OBC is just blank space on the non-OBC bikes.
I'm afraid your sales guy is seriously OTL on the OBC, JR.

David

--Curly
Old 07-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #29
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks David

I e-mailed the sales guy a copy of the pic. and a WTF,O type note ...

I gotta say on a bike this expensive it seems a little cheesy to just slap an overlay bezel on the LCD to "mini-size" the screen for bikes without OBC.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 07-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #30
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Quote:

Altho none of us out here in Lotusland have heard the "in Transit" report, it would be welcome news to me. I checked on the status of my 800 yesterday and I thinks the answer was something like "around Christmas"
Toadride is offline   Reply With Quote