User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #46
97Octane
Defining Mediocrity

Oddometer: 664
Keep at it man.

I understand you wanted to begin an 'Adventure motorcycle guide service' at one point.

Mexico is a great place, and contrary to popular opinion, it is safe enough to explore without a constant fear of being jacked up by everyone you encounter. You will need to ensure to the best of your ability that your paying clients, experience absolutely none of the problems you had.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #47
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Octane
Keep at it man.

I understand you wanted to begin an 'Adventure motorcycle guide service' at one point.

Mexico is a great place, and contrary to popular opinion, it is safe enough to explore without a constant fear of being jacked up by everyone you encounter. You will need to ensure to the best of your ability that your paying clients, experience absolutely none of the problems you had.
That will be a few years off... unfortunately...
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:49 PM   #48
TJ Willy
ADV, this, I crave.

Oddometer: 345
OUtback

Just catching up on this. I would love a Mexico ADV. I will admit that I don't think I would have undertook my first trip alone. So Kudos. I tend to over prepare and sell myself short sometime doing that. Being an IT nerd, I over analyze things too much and get bogged down in the simplest of details. Something I am just now able to overcome.

I am glad you posted ALL of this report. As someone mentioned earlier... there ARE those of us that learn from this sort of thing. I tend to soak up these kinds of reports.

You mentioned going in October. We have a mini-TAT (AR, OK) ride then. At some point, I would like to hook up with someone and make that trip. As I said, I don't think I want to go it alone the first go round... I would enjoy the solitude, but I'd rather learn from a grizzled ADV'er.

SmugMug Goodness Coupon Code (GZnn7vYHaHJjg)
TJ Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:23 AM   #49
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Check out the Mex-Trek trip on the TWTex forum. Thats when I was halfway planning to go... but it looks like we are moving and I have a job interview next week. I don't know what my fall is going to be like.

I would be interested in going down with someone who is committed. I had a guy that was supposed to go with me down there.... got to his house and he didnt feel like going.... The same as this morning when he called saying he didnt feel like riding this weekend after planning all week. Prick. So I am at home for now

Give me a call if you think you want to meet up this evening for the ride. We can get together at one of the campgrounds in NE Texas. Let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Willy
OUtback

Just catching up on this. I would love a Mexico ADV. I will admit that I don't think I would have undertook my first trip alone. So Kudos. I tend to over prepare and sell myself short sometime doing that. Being an IT nerd, I over analyze things too much and get bogged down in the simplest of details. Something I am just now able to overcome.

I am glad you posted ALL of this report. As someone mentioned earlier... there ARE those of us that learn from this sort of thing. I tend to soak up these kinds of reports.

You mentioned going in October. We have a mini-TAT (AR, OK) ride then. At some point, I would like to hook up with someone and make that trip. As I said, I don't think I want to go it alone the first go round... I would enjoy the solitude, but I'd rather learn from a grizzled ADV'er.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #50
ChangoGS
Banned

Oddometer: 305
Wichita Falls to Del Rio then Mexico.... U are not too far away.
ChangoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #51
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,513
Could be an amazing trip

Hey compadre !
e-mail me and I can ride with you from the border till you get to the good roads (lets say 100 miles) so you feel more confortable and secure buddy.

I do leave on Reynosa and have my gorgeous 2008 KLR 650. I just sold my old 1999 Model and got this new one.
I have done few amazing trips on my loved Mexico and you'll be surprises how beautiful our land is.

I'd really like to meet all the adventurer that cross by here so I could ride at least some distant with them, since I have my butt pretty bussy on my job (Industrial maintenance) so don't have much time to ride.

cheer up!
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #52
Andres A
FINDING NEMO

Oddometer: 243
Apology (bad Time In Mexico)

Hi Laoutbacktrail:

#1 Sorry my friend, i'm Mexican and i live in Reynosa, right, you have a very bad experience, not all the Mexicans in Reynosa are bad people, if you comeback some day to Mexico and cross the border in Reynosa, send me a pm and let me be your host, you are wellcome to Reynosa and to all Mexico, BIENVENIDO AMIGO.

#2 yea is right we have many problems with the people over the bridge, but is impossible take off of the bridge thanks to the authoritys, when i go to Mcallen in my bike had the same problems.

But the most important, back to Mexico (Reynosa) and let us change the bad image of my twon and of my country, we are honest people, have many friends in U.S.A and we respect all the foreigner people when visit us, my friend let me tell you again SORRY, this is a invitation for you and all the Americans to Know the other face of Mexico, my home is your home, sorry for my english.

Andres A.

Phone 011 52 8999 25 70 63
Mobile 011 52 8991 32 45 17
Nextel 62*174639*1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail
My list of mistakes......

So, what not to do. Don't forget to do your paper work. Don't listen to the guys that wave you through. Don't drive into Mexico without insurance. Don't forget to go to a casa de cambio to get your pesos. Dont trust Mexicans in Reynosa. DONT get off the main streets. Dont pull over for a federale unless he's pointing a gun at you.... DONT do the speed limit if the traffic is going faster than you. Don't pull out a wad of money infront of a bunch of poor people....

So here's my story about Mexico. While I was going through Edinburg and into Pharr, I noticed the bike making the clunking noise. I pulled over to check it out... chain was loose. Ok, tighten her up. Get going again.... this time, I'm actually pulling into the border. Well.... I get to the gate that you drive through... I get a bell and there is a guy to the side that waves me through... ummmm ok.... I get to the check station and the guys are eating lunch.... they wave me through. I get to the Military check point.... they wave me through... wait, wasnt I supposed to do some sort of paperwork???? Where was I supposed do this? I had heard somewhere that there was another place to do paperwork several miles at the official checkpoint outside of the border zone... was this what I was supposed to do? NOPE! Where the first guy was waving me through, was where I was supposed to park and go do the paperwork.

So, if you cross at Pharr, when you get to the border gate, go to the nice new building to your right. Park and go in to do the paperwork.

After I was waived through the border.... I exclaimed "I'm in Mexico! Whoo hoo!" A couple miles later, while on Hwy 2 going to Hwy 40, my whoo hoo definately turned to "Oh no." The clunking became incredibly worse but I noticed it didnt clunk at speed. I continued to Hwy 40 but after several stop lights, I noticed the clunking becoming steadily worse until I stopped at a PeMex to check it out... couldnt see anything. I didnt know what to check and I didnt know what to do besides turn back.

I had 6 delimas. 1) I had not properly immigrated 2)I had not purchased Mex insurance since it was sunday and no offices that I passed were open. 3) I had no Pesos. 4) I was almost out of gas. Gas is cheaper in Mex, and I had timed it to fill up on hwy 40. 5) My bike's clunking was getting continually worse. 6) I had no cell service to try and call anyone to see what to check.

I turned back. Driving through the heart of Reynosa, following signs for el Puente Internacional. I eventually didnt make a turn... and went through a bad-ish neighbor/shanty town..... I didnt see any more signs.... So I stopped and asked a federale. He pointed me back to my missed turn and then tried to stop me... im guessing for a tip.... wanting some spare change or something. I have no idea... but I didnt stop. He followed me a few blocks, with his lights on, maybe he was making sure I got going the right way? Eventually he turned around and I'm now at the border again.

So, now my mexico pictures....

Notice that I am on the Mexican side of the line? and looking at the US side of the Rio Grande. My only proof that I was in Mexico besides my GPX tracks and SPOT tracks.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #53
Andres A
FINDING NEMO

Oddometer: 243
?

Hey Arte, yo vivo tambien en Reynosa, tengo una KLR 2007, te envie un pm.

Saludos.

Andres A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte
Hey compadre !
e-mail me and I can ride with you from the border till you get to the good roads (lets say 100 miles) so you feel more confortable and secure buddy.

I do leave on Reynosa and have my gorgeous 2008 KLR 650. I just sold my old 1999 Model and got this new one.
I have done few amazing trips on my loved Mexico and you'll be surprises how beautiful our land is.

I'd really like to meet all the adventurer that cross by here so I could ride at least some distant with them, since I have my butt pretty bussy on my job (Industrial maintenance) so don't have much time to ride.

cheer up!

Andres A screwed with this post 07-29-2008 at 11:10 AM
Andres A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #54
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres A
Hi Laoutbacktrail:

#1 Sorry my friend, i'm Mexican and i live in Reynosa, right, you have a very bad experience, not all the Mexicans in Reynosa are bad people, if you comeback some day to Mexico and cross the border in Reynosa, send me a pm and let me be your host, you are wellcome to Reynosa and to all Mexico, BIENVENIDO AMIGO.

#2 yea is right we have many problems with the people over the bridge, but is impossible take off of the bridge thanks to the authoritys, when i go to Mcallen in my bike had the same problems.

But the most important, back to Mexico (Reynosa) and let us change the bad image of my twon and of my country, we are honest people, have many friends in U.S.A and we respect all the foreigner people when visit us, my friend let me tell you again SORRY, this is a invitation for you and all the Americans to Know the other face of Mexico, my home is your home, sorry for my english.

Andres A.

Phone 011 52 8999 25 70 63
Mobile 011 52 8991 32 45 17
Nextel 62*174639*1
Gracias por la invitacion. I very much enjoy the Latin American culture and can't wait to give it another go. I just had bad luck this time and was unprepared. I had decided to go down el martes antes de!

I was only really scared when I was on Hwy 2 between the puente internacional a Pharr y Reynosa... Mainly because I didnt want my bike breaking down in that neighborhood.

I just wish I had been better prepared.

I know border towns arent the same as interior Mexican cities. I know that some of the worst and poorest people are attracted to the border cities in hopes of crossing into the US. I understand that and knew that before I went down. I was not turned off to what I saw. It only made me want to get to the Sierra Madres that much faster!

Gracias Andres.

Scott
Old 07-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #55
huicho
n00b

Oddometer: 1
another Back UP!!

geee Laoutbacktrail:

i'M sorry to hear about That...
I'm from Reynosa too and i'm feel Dissapoint to hear That about my city in this Kind Of Forum.

So please Continued With This thread and tell To Everybody that you decide To came Back For the Revenger And the People Of Mexico is nice people. and Of Course you will enjoy the Best Beer and the Best BBQ.

Regards

KLR650 '07
huicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #56
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by huicho
geee Laoutbacktrail:

i'M sorry to hear about That...
I'm from Reynosa too and i'm feel Dissapoint to hear That about my city in this Kind Of Forum.

So please Continued With This thread and tell To Everybody that you decide To came Back For the Revenger And the People Of Mexico is nice people. and Of Course you will enjoy the Best Beer and the Best BBQ.

Regards

KLR650 '07
I was tempted by the man "barbacoa" stands close to the road... but being unprepared, I had no pesos!

I do not wish to discourage people from visiting Mexico or Reynosa for that matter. I just didnt have the ideal experience. I would do it again though and would enjoy meeting you guys very much!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:21 AM   #57
worldrider
Adventure & Discovery

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:

Problem number one.

I knew I smelt something burning...... Well... i did a bad packing job. I used my bike cover as a backrest... well, when it became uncomfortable... i flipped it up.... and onto the exhaust. I reckon it sat on the pipe for 2 hours...: I'm just glad it didnt catch fire.
This reminds me of a hilarious but scary story a few years back when I was riding back to California from a few weeks in the Gros Ventre and Grand Tetons then down through Escalante in Utah... I split off from the friends I rode with (we had trailered the bikes to Wyoming and I rode off the trailer in Salt Lake to head south to Escalante) with soft luggage on my old non-Dakar GS650 I was on the slap making time back to LA in the late night when out of the corner of my eye I kept seeing flashing lights, i thought must be cops or fire trucks heading in the eastbound lane, until when I craned my head back just a little bit more and notice there was a 4 foot flame shooting out the back of my bike... i looked like a top fuel biker going 70mph outa vegas... scared the f**k out of me... the story goes on but I won't bogart this thread any longer... just made me laugh and remind myself of what was a near disaster due to those hot pipes!

so sorry to read of the non-adventure... this bureaucratic minutiae traveling in other countries can be taxing to one's patience and frustrating to one's schedule and dampening to one's morale... no fears... there are plenty more adventures on your journey ahead..!

'05 F650GS Dakar

My WorldRider Journey ADVrider Thread
worldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:59 AM   #58
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrider
so sorry to read of the non-adventure... this bureaucratic minutiae traveling in other countries can be taxing to one's patience and frustrating to one's schedule and dampening to one's morale... no fears... there are plenty more adventures on your journey ahead..!
Thanks for the words Allan.

I'm sure I'll have a few things up my sleeves..... tengo veintiuno anos.....
Old 08-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #59
worldrider
Adventure & Discovery

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
tengo veintiuno anos.....
siempre... amigo, siempre!

'05 F650GS Dakar

My WorldRider Journey ADVrider Thread
worldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #60
Hltoppr
GS Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Just had the chance to read the whole thread...sometimes the best adventures are those you have whilst learning what not to do! There are many folks who wouldn't have attempted the trip at all!

Maybe you can hook up with our group when we head down next time...I'll let you know when we've got a schedule...

Cheers,

-H-

2003 BMW R1150GS Adventure
Overland Certified
www.OverlandTraining.com
Hltoppr is offline   Reply With Quote