Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #61
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
So, I am sitting here at the freaking South Pole in the middle of Antarctica in the austral winter. It's been deadly dark (except when the moon is up) for four months. ADVrider has been a great resource to get myself stoked and prepared for what I hope will be six months of traveling, studying Spanish and teaching English in Central America and Mexico in 2009.

I agree that getting to hear of the problems of people's experiences are as beneficial if not more so than the perfectly-executed tales by the uber-experienced global riders out there. Both have their place. And, it takes testicular fortitude to come in here and admit errors in this harsh crowd.

I've logged 125K< miles on two wheels, but I've yet to do a solo crossing into Mexico (excepting 4-wheel trips). When I as 21, I was proud as hell that I had survived Pennsylvania --> California PCH --> PA on a 650. I am impressed as hell that LAOutback did it, learned from it, came back and told the tale here. I'm sure that next time he hits it, he'll hit it hard and properly. And it's good info for me and maybe a few others doing their first.

As we all know, things happen fast on the bike. You hope that your instinct is right, and you stay on the balance point. I'm glad that my errors haven't killed me or anyone else. And part of acquiring that wisdom is sharing it when it might help other n00bs.

Anyway, hoist your favorite beverage and dry everything out. Tomorrow is another ride.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien

bouldergeek screwed with this post 08-24-2008 at 04:12 PM
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:57 PM   #62
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Howdy Bouldergeek,
Forget my thread here, I want to know WHY you are in Antarctica?

Back to your comments, thanks for the compliments. I'm unsure when I'll take another whack at Mexico. There is a group going down in a couple of months and I want to go with them, but starting a new job and being in school keeps the schedule tight. My wife has already given me permission to go if my schedule works out.

I just put another 2000 miles on the bike In the name of work - ADVrider (in 33 hours of riding time)

That puts me at ~23,000 motorcycle miles in a little over 3 years of riding. 6000 miles in the last 6 months. I reckon thats pretty good.... no record, but I'm not trying to make one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek
So, I am sitting here at the freaking South Pole in the middle of Antarctica in the austral winter. It's been deadly dark (except when the moon is up) for four months. ADVrider has been a great resource to get myself stoked and prepared for what I hope will be six months of traveling, studying Spanish and teaching English in Central America and Mexico in 2009.

I agree that getting to hear of the problems of people's experiences are as beneficial if not more so than the perfectly-executed tales by the uber-experienced global riders out there. Both have their place. And, it takes testicular fortitude to come in here and admit errors in this harsh crowd.

I've logged 125K< miles on two wheels, but I've yet to do a solo crossing into Mexico (excepting 4-wheel trips). When I as 21, I was proud as hell that I had survived Pennsylvania --> California PCH --> PA on a 650. I am impressed as hell that LAOutback did it, learned from it, came back and told the tale here. I'm sure that next time he hits it, he'll hit it hard and properly. And it's good info for me and maybe a few others doing their first.

As we all know, things happen fast on the bike. You hope that your instinct is right, and you stay on the balance point. I'm glad that my errors haven't killed me or anyone else. And part of acquiring that wisdom is sharing it when it might help other n00bs.

Anyway, hoist your favorite beverage and dry everything out. Tomorrow is another ride.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #63
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Hwy 87

Finally edited the vid last week...
Old 08-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #64
pachovilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I´m sorry to read that your tripp down to México didn´t turned as planned. I´m mexican and something that really makes me mad is when someone has a non good experiences in my country. Now is not the best time to get a bike tripp down here, things are getting a bit rough with drug cartels and goverment hasn´t done his job wouldn´t say good, but at all.

In my experience, with more than 10 years traveling in México, never had a bad days, now, I´m ridding bikes and isn´t easy at all, but it is worthy. North México has more narco activitie, central México is great, south has a few non active armed movements and southeast has some troubles at the guatemalas border specially with centralamerican migrant coyotes, but at the end is not as bad as it seems, Policia Federal is the road police and they are, with some exceptions, a good Institution, The Army sometimes has checkpoints for drug and paperles inmigrants, never had problems with them, Policia Judicial is the bad guys Institution, the stereotypical mexican corrupt mexican cop from Tarantino is almost always a Judicial.

Anyway, what I´m trying to say is that it´s really not a bad place for ADV ridding, just with the proper planning and always with communsence.
If someone is planning a tripp to México, please let me know and will gladdly help.

Thanks and greetings

06 XR 650r "La Bête"...
pachovilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:33 AM   #65
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachovilla
I´m sorry to read that your tripp down to México didn´t turned as planned. I´m mexican and something that really makes me mad is when someone has a non good experiences in my country. Now is not the best time to get a bike tripp down here, things are getting a bit rough with drug cartels and goverment hasn´t done his job wouldn´t say good, but at all.

In my experience, with more than 10 years traveling in México, never had a bad days, now, I´m ridding bikes and isn´t easy at all, but it is worthy. North México has more narco activitie, central México is great, south has a few non active armed movements and southeast has some troubles at the guatemalas border specially with centralamerican migrant coyotes, but at the end is not as bad as it seems, Policia Federal is the road police and they are, with some exceptions, a good Institution, The Army sometimes has checkpoints for drug and paperles inmigrants, never had problems with them, Policia Judicial is the bad guys Institution, the stereotypical mexican corrupt mexican cop from Tarantino is almost always a Judicial.

Anyway, what I´m trying to say is that it´s really not a bad place for ADV ridding, just with the proper planning and always with communsence.
If someone is planning a tripp to México, please let me know and will gladdly help.

Thanks and greetings
Thanks for the comment Pacho. Like I said before, my bad experience was really only due to the bike problem and not crossing the border correctly.

I can't wait to have another go at it and tour Mexico. Latin people are so much more friendly than most of the jackasses here in America!!

Thanks PV.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 AM   #66
pachovilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
When you do your tripp, feel free to pm or mail me (rico_francisco at hotmail) and will help, if you are planning to stay or pass trough México City will be happy to give you a tour, get you a place to stay or taking you out for a beer.

06 XR 650r "La Bête"...
pachovilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #67
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
¡Que cortés han demostrado los mexicanos en este thread! En lugar de regañar al joven por sus propias tonterias, los mexicanos demuestran lo más amable y lo invitan a regresar.

¡Bien hecho!

GWW

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #68
GB007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Hey George W. I am mexican and Spanish is my first language. I don't think it's very nice to write things in Spanish on an English language thread. I personally don't like talking behind people's backs. I think it's kind of rude and of poor taste.

LAOutback, thanks for sharing your experience. It's a good learning lesson. I'm heading to Michoacan this weekend, will see how it goes....
GB007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #69
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB007
Hey George W. I am mexican and Spanish is my first language. I don't think it's very nice to write things in Spanish on an English language thread. I personally don't like talking behind people's backs. I think it's kind of rude and of poor taste...
My first language too. Well to each his own. There's plenty of Spanish in this thread which is why I wrote in Spanish, and my post was very complimentary of the Mexicans who posted here and there is nothing in the post anymore inflammatory than anything else that was posted before. I am not sure what you are getting at. The OP also speaks Spanish, or at least enough to understand the note (judging from the dialog we've had at the TWT forum).

But here's the translation for those of you in doubt:

What a courtesy the Mexicans in this thread have demonstrated! Instead of scolding the young man on these silly errors the Mexicans have been most kind in inviting him to return.

GB007 If you have a problem take it to the mods.

GWW

Pedro Navaja screwed with this post 10-15-2008 at 04:43 PM
Old 10-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #70
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
If you want to attract readership to your thread, posting in English is advised. We've had a few Spanish language threads in the past, as we have in other languages as well.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #71
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

I got the general IDEA George. I read better than I speak.... but didnt know some of the conjugations... I could have used an online translator if necessary.

It is perfectly acceptable to post something in the language of the country being visited!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to get back. I'd be going this coming weekend if I didnt start a new job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Los Mexicanos tienen mi respecto! Mucho respecto.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #72
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail
I got the general IDEA George. I read better than I speak.... but didnt know some of the conjugations... I could have used an online translator if necessary.

It is perfectly acceptable to post something in the language of the country being visited!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to get back. I'd be going this coming weekend if I didnt start a new job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Los Mexicanos tienen mi respecto! Mucho respecto.
Planeo cruzar el 27 de octubre en Cd. Acuña . Hopefully you've got the gist on the paperwork now. The guys over at TWT can give you the exact procedure, and you can even do the vehicle registration online now thru the Banjercito website. So cool!

Saludos,

GWW
Old 10-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #73
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
I think your 2 current choices in bikes are great for Latin America. The XT225 especially because it is used for law enforcement and parts/repairs won't be trouble.
you did the right thing getting back into the US when you found you were having a serious bearing failure going down. Don't let any of the negativity get you down. Better to find you got problems on the border than 180 miles down the desert highway!
I recommend doing a future ferry out to Baja from Topo or Mazatlan. You will most likely run into other bikers going the same way and it is verrrry cool. Baja is something special for sure.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #74
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Thinking back on this trip today... good times.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #75
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
First I'll admit to not reading all the posts but.....

I understand you had a few issues to learn and sort but after having the wheel bearings replaced why did you head north and not south as planned?

I have been to Baja many times and something always goes sideways (forgot something, didn't bother to do something or couldn't fined something) crossing either direction a the US/Mex boarder. May have left me a little uneasy but never bailed on the trip, just part of the adventure.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote