User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2004, 08:42 PM   #1
Dysco OP
Whackaducker

Oddometer: 16,013
Eh? Denver winter commute

Being the night guy has its advantages, the biggest being the complete lack of traffic on the freeways home. Last night was no exception. Of course most nights it isn't snowing. Basically the storm came out of nowhere and dumped on us all night. The trouble was that at 30F, it wasn't cold enough out to beat CDOT and stick to the roads so I got to ride home in a genuine slushfest. Given that I have a new rear studder (front coming soon, Wayne) I kept my speed as close to the limit as I could stand (which is usually not close enough for people with RADAR and ticketbooks.

After 20 miles I started getting chills which is unusual unless the temps are close to 0. After 30 miles I exited the freeway and pulled the front brake lever back to the handle..... nuthin'. Since my studded rear tire hadn't been properly broken in yet, the rear brake clicked away on the ABS and I started to think about soft landing spots before coming to my senses, releasing the brakes, slamming the Battle-Thumper into first gear, and dropping the clutch. After the knife-on-toast skid of studs on slick concrete and a little wiggle of the tail, I pulled my best Fred Flintstone stop job. The cager next to me stared while I leaned over for a brief visual inspection of my stopping apparatus and I discovered why he looked so worried- my front end was a block of ice... and so was I! Apparently my front brake wanted to stop me but couldn't. Whether it was the ice encasing the caliper or the ice on the disc I still don't know but it worked fine on the way to work this afternoon. As I sat up, I felt the popping of my frozen jacket- 3/4 inch thick in places and realized why I was feeling a bit chilly. After 5 more red lights with little conventional braking ability I was home and decided to document the occasion:

Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 08:58 PM   #2
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,221
brrrrrrrrrrr

Glad you got home safe.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 09:27 PM   #3
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,938
Jeebus, that looks miserable!
Old 03-05-2004, 10:55 PM   #4
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
Where do you get your studded tires?
It's obvious that they work quite well-there's an ice covered bike that doesn't look like it's fallen over a lot. I figure that if you can wheel a F around, I should be able to run the Peg year round.
Cool pix, too. I'd rather ride in cold and dry than 30F-40F and wet, that area around freezing just plain sucks. Onya
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:21 PM   #5
Dysco OP
Whackaducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL5A
Where do you get your studded tires?
I Make 'em. info HERE, but it needs to be updated since I'm on my third set and I pretty much have the system down now. PM me if you have any questions and I'll get ya ridin' snow in a hurry.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:31 PM   #6
porterfish
Debaser

Oddometer: 2,530
you sir, are a badass.
porterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:46 AM   #7
JED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
I don't think there are any soft landing spots. At my age they all seem to hurt. Glad you landed at home ok.
JED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 01:25 PM   #8
Stevil
Envoy to Strongbadia

Oddometer: 243
"Studding motorcycle tires is a BAD IDEA. Do not install studded tires on a motorcycle unless you are prepared to crash. Prepare or update your last will and testament and tape or otherwise securely fasten a waterproof copy of your emergency contact information to your bike AND your helmet before rolling an inch on studded tires. This is no joke." (quoted from Dysco)
A friend asked me why I refer to Advrider as 'the asylum'. Next time I will just direct them to this post. You rock Dysco, you rock!
IBA#19925
Stevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 02:09 PM   #9
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709

fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:00 PM   #10
Wayne Weber
why are we stopping?

Oddometer: 3,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco
Given that I have a new rear studder (front coming soon, Wayne) I kept my speed as close to the limit
Cool. Hey, I only need the front, I was dumb and thinkin the Buff had a 17 rear but it's 18", so that won't work. I walked friday (wanted to bar hop on the way home) so riding wasn't happening. Nice Ice Block, Dysco. Frozen brakes, that's a new one! haha! you must have laughed when you looked down and saw that much ice on the front end.

How long was your commute?

04 KTM 950 S
93 KTM 550
93 XT225 Adventure Serow!
00 Weber Rally Twin (www.rallytwin.com)
Gas Gas 270
2 Waterbuffalo's (Sold!)
Wayne Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:48 PM   #11
GregInBoulder
Jerry rules. Get over it.

Oddometer: 2,411
WOW Dysco. I drove my 4X4 PU from DTC to Boulder about 8 that nite. A very spooky 90 minutes on the rode. On a bike? No f'ing way!!!!

"Stupid should be painfull" - FatChance
GregInBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 11:57 PM   #12
Dysco OP
Whackaducker

Fish- that's one of my favorites, too. It's hard to get a photographer when it's cold out.

Weber- 32 miles, Broomfield to Aurora. Front tire ought to be off before the weekend but you're gonna want traction in the rear. If'n ya order the right sized Kenda Trackmaster II 760, (~$50 at Performance) I'll show you the process firsthand- takes about 2 hours if the tire shop is quick. And, yes, I was laughing my ass off.

Greg- the difference is you can go up in the canyons and dice with a Duschmatti- I have 2 rear-use studded knobbies. There is no dicing in winter for Dysco.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:43 AM   #13
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish

""

is right.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 08:08 AM   #14
Ostrich
Jaded and Happy

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish

Beats shoveling the driveway.

Just because it's a zoo out there doesn't mean you have to view it from a cage!

Don't be an impulse buyer... afterall you have time..
Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:41 PM   #15
Pawk

Oddometer: 598
um,

Glad you made it home.

And today it was 70, the weather sucks here.