User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #1
tessalino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
My bike fell over yesterday.

Or, I dropped it. Or I fell over on my bike. However one says it.

I'm a new rider with less than 2200 miles on my bike/riding time. I was moving at walking pace in a complicated parking layout on a slop with both feet on the pegs trying to turn ~250 degrees. It just got away from me.

I was holding onto the throttle as the bike was going down and as I was trying to keep from going down under it. The engine really revved.

I stayed on my feet and discovered I can (it that particular situation: parking lot; in gear) lift my bike up by myself. It's a Triumph Scrambler = 506 pounds empty.

I bent the clutch lever and scarred up the left mirror. I'll get it in the daylight and look for other damage.

I'm just worried about those high rpms. As the bike went down my hand stayed on the throttle.

Has that ever happened to anyone here? Dropping your bike, I mean?

I was depressed for the rest of the day.
tessalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
I think that's happened to just about everybody.
Earth Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #3
TheNorthernMonkey
Clueless n00b

Oddometer: 232
Dropping your bike sucks big hairy balls. Everyone has done it at some time. Chalk it up as expierience
TheNorthernMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,675
Remember that the clutch makes the bike go. . ..

The throttle just makes the bike go faster. . ..

The high RPMS tells me you had the clutch squeezed in fully. . .. I doubt you damaged the bike. For what it is worth, slow speed stuff is all about clutch control, with a good dose of head and eyes up and looking where you want to go tossed in for good measure!
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
WolvesLower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Who hasn't dropped there bike?
It is best when you have an audience.
WolvesLower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
backpain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
The revs - don't worry. That's what the limiter is for. Although you felt like it was a long time, momentarily is no big deal.
backpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
We all have had this happen at one time or another. I have many years and tens of thousands of miles under my belt and it happened to me last summer....

I wouldn't worry about the hi rev. If its a late model bike it probably has a rev limiter on it. Even if you were over the red line I imagine it was too brief to do any damage.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #8
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
if you are around bikes enough, and ride 'em enough, they will fall now and again. don't blame yourself and be mindful. but bikes are big, tippy things. especially at a standstill or low speed. sometimes they are going to go over

know how to pick one up (of any size). i had a drop (or two) of my bike when i transitioned from scooter. i did not have the right technique and needed assistance both times lifting it. the third time i "dropped it" (thats right, THREE times in almost as many months) was a creeping affair in my carport. it got past the "tipping point" and down it went. i just picked it back up, easy as can be. i had watched some videos since and employed the "walk it back up" technique. it didn't really bother me, seeing it lying there, knowing i could just pick it up easy as a bicycle

i prefer it didn't fall, though

well i hope not much damage to your bike, and if so you get it sorted out. no use saying "be careful" or anything like it. its not like folks mean to let bikes fall. but once its down, its down. its in the past until next time. "if and when"....as they say

might be never, might be next week. the throttle thing? its just a new rider thing. a "mistake," i would say. if and when your bike is falling, if gripping the throttle, do no twist it toward you. period. sooner or later you just won't do it if the bike goes down again. even if gripping the throttle

this is why many advise starting on small(er)cc, lightweight bikes. ones that "won't get you into to much trouble." if you have never rode before. or i should say, operated a motorbike of some kind

its fine. don't be depressed, and ride safe. if not park safe

DudeClone screwed with this post 11-05-2014 at 07:54 AM
DudeClone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #9
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,910
Nope.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #10
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessalino View Post
trying to turn ~250 degrees
I bent the clutch lever and scarred up the left mirror.
Why were you turning 250 degrees left instead of just turning right?
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #11
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 429
If you haven't dropped a bike, you're not a rider. I won't go so far as to say its inevitable, but it will probably/has happened to every rider. Usually its like you describe, or you don't see the gas spill as you put your foot down at the gas pump (my last dump several years ago), or the hole in the pavement when you stop, or, or, or, ...

Bikes are inherently unstable at very slow speeds (physics...no gyroscopic stabilizing forces at slow speed, rider input error, etc.)

Agree with others. The high rev most likely didn't do any damage. Glad you weren't hurt! Don't worry about it, just use it as a learning experience. :)
dwestly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
motosikel
nopickles

Oddometer: 25
Be more scared of your bike dropping you. That can hurt more than your pride
motosikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #13
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Old 11-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #14
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,812
If you didn't get trapped under it you missed out on all the fun.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #15
tessalino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Thanks for all the responses. Misery loves company and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxyRdr View Post
Why were you turning 250 degrees left instead of just turning right?
This is the most idiotic parking lot layout on earth. It's a series of randomly placed eateries and a Starbucks with drive thru all built on a corner with already limited space. To park, one has to drive through a narrow corridor barely wide enough for a single auto. I can't explain it. One must see it. More suitable for pedestrian traffic IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolvesLower View Post
Who hasn't dropped there bike?
It is best when you have an audience.
Which, I did. Maybe the adrenaline from that fact helped me pick the bike up. At least I still had my full face helmet on and nobody could get a good look at me.
tessalino is offline   Reply With Quote