ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,492 76.87%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.79%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.28%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 185 9.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1941. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2009, 10:54 PM   #166
pterry
Desert rider

Oddometer: 586
Cali lane splitting

I am glad in Cali it's legal to lane split. A cager cut me off at the last 100 ft to get the first position at the light. I simply did a lane split and got back in front of him- I hope it pissed him off!
pterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #167
laukkanen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
yes for lanesplitting with restrictions

My vote goes to lane splitting being legal so long as traffic is moving at a slow pace (hard #s would have to be come up with after a few hundred million in govt funds is spent on studies to determine the appropriate speed) and the difference in speed between splitters and traffic is limited. Going 60mph through the middle of 10mph traffic is not a good idea, 10-20mph faster than the traffic is good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig
I've recently start splitting illegally (since the Texas house sat on their asses with SB506 that flew through the senate), and I will print and carry this picture with me in my jacket. If I ever get pulled over, I'll just show the cop that.

...my life is worth a hundred bucks.
I also split in Texas when the traffic calls for it, I've been rear ended (while in a cage) in stop and go traffic three times- twice in town cars on business and once in my own car- a few bucks is worth more than my hide and the repairs I'd have to shell out to fix my bike :)
laukkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #168
jsteele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by laukkanen
My vote goes to lane splitting being legal so long as traffic is moving at a slow pace (hard #s would have to be come up with after a few hundred million in govt funds is spent on studies to determine the appropriate speed) and the difference in speed between splitters and traffic is limited. Going 60mph through the middle of 10mph traffic is not a good idea, 10-20mph faster than the traffic is good to go.
There should be restrictions with lane splitting. I'm not from CA, but I've been told that you can only go 5 mph faster than the flow of traffic. That makes sence to me be cause the biggest argument I have heard against lane splitting is cagers being caught off guard when bikes come so close. Besides, even modern watercooled bikes need airflow trhough them. Lane splitting is illegal in WA an it really sux when traffic is at a stand still for 10 miles on 4th of july weekend in 95F plus.
jsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #169
JimIowa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I'm not at all sure, since just last night on Entertainment Tonight I watched Brad Pitt hit the mirror on a parked car and dump his custom Harley while splitting lanes.
JimIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #170
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimIowa
I'm not at all sure, since just last night on Entertainment Tonight I watched Brad Pitt hit the mirror on a parked car and dump his custom Harley while splitting lanes.
That's what happens when he doesn't use a stunt double. Real life is hard for some of those actor types.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #171
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,811
In the UK lane splitting is called 'white-lining', so I believe. It is legal but only if done with care. Careless driving/riding is illegal.

It would be weird to not do it and although accidents must happen I have never seen or had one. Some cagers get out of the way others will deliberately block your path. But none seem to mind if a bike gets to the front & accelerates away. A lot of bikers do it at speed too.......

And our roads are narrower and busier than most of yours... my vote wne to make it legal.
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #172
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,911
I voted yes to all, but I, like several others in this thread, think the bigger issue is getting cagers in every state to tolerate it. My biggest problem with anyone wanting to lane split in a state other than CA is not the legal implications, but the fact that splitting is not socially accepted or tolerated. Try to split here and many other states and some douche will crunch your ass, open a door in front of you, or run you off the road, or just go freakin' cager rager on your ass. People take very unkindly to it most places in the US.

I beleive it would require a huge scale PSA campaign and would take at least a year before things started to change.

And obviously, that is not going to happen any time soon. Keep dreamin'...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #173
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog
I voted yes to all, but I, like several others in this thread, think the bigger issue is getting cagers in every state to tolerate it. My biggest problem with anyone wanting to lane split in a state other than CA is not the legal implications, but the fact that splitting is not socially accepted or tolerated. Try to split here and many other states and some douche will crunch your ass, open a door in front of you, or run you off the road, or just go freakin' cager rager on your ass. People take very unkindly to it most places in the US.

I beleive it would require a huge scale PSA campaign and would take at least a year before things started to change.

And obviously, that is not going to happen any time soon. Keep dreamin'...
It's up to the motorcycling community to fundraise, produce videos, and buy the airtime. It's really that simple.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #174
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills
It's up to the motorcycling community to fundraise, produce videos, and buy the airtime. It's really that simple.
We still have people here who drive without their headlights after dark or in the rain. They must not have gotten the word.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:45 AM   #175
shikataganai
moof

Oddometer: 348
i live outside NYC. when i ride towards Manhattan i lanesplit in traffic on the parkways. i'm careful to pick my battles, so to speak, by only doing it when traffic is moving slower than 30 or so, by not going much faster than the adjacent cars, and only doing it when the roads are congested such that drivers aren't switching about between lanes madly.

i won't lanesplit around town where i live as drivers aren't as accustomed to the practice or where there's a chance i might see the same car that i lanesplit past again (such as at the next stoplight). i have no doubt as to the depth of stupidity and rage that being in a car in traffic can incite and if i get by someone by lanesplitting i want to never see them again.
shikataganai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #176
warregl
Part-time Hooligan

Oddometer: 21
I'm sure I'm not the only one here whose had this happen, but just yesterday a cager tried to cut me off as I went right on him to an off ramp. Traffic was stopped and the exit was less than 20 feet away but he pulled into the emergency lane as I approached (at less than 20 mph). And he wasnt even exiting, just didn't want me to get out of the jam before him. Misery loves company.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #177
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteele
I'm not from CA, but I've been told that you can only go 5 mph faster than the flow of traffic.
No, it's up the the officer's discretion as to what he/she thinks is safe.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #178
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,571
I had a cager move over on me as I passed his front fender. he pushed a bit on my Jesse. I ignored him and rode away. These little motorcycles are very hard to see. Particularly when they are off the front fender. What with all the pretty check engine lights and low oil warning lights and ABS failure lights, DVD's on the pop-up screen, texting and latte' drinking a driver can't really be bothered to notice all those tiny motorcycles outside the vehicle.

Little bike:

See? Very hard to see that bike. Maybe it should be orange?

Any way, the motor officers I've spoken with, (while enjoying a cup of coffee, not on the side of the road), have all said that yes perception of stupidity while splitting lanes is up to the observing officer, but their rule of thumb is 30mph top speed, with the differential between cars and the bike at 5 mph.
For whatever reason the GS Adventure seems to provide a greater margin when being "observed".
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:18 AM   #179
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,233
I spent a couple of hours on LA freeways yesterday (in a rental car). I don't think I have the nerve for lane splitting.

-dod
Old 10-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #180
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD
I spent a couple of hours on LA freeways yesterday (in a rental car). I don't think I have the nerve for lane splitting.

-dod
You sort of have to work up to it. Particularly if you happen to be a somewhat mature and semi-rational adult.

It took me a while, but commuting for 60 miles and more per day begins to bring any advantage to bear, when dealing with traffic. Riding from Downey home would take two to three hours without splitting. Splitting I could be home in a little over an hour.
Interstate 5 through LA is narrowed, (to below the minimum for such a road by federal standard, but I understand they got special dispensation to do so.), and splitting through there is tough.
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote