ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,544 77.05%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 96 4.79%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 222 11.08%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 192 9.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2004. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #181
Oilybimmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Filtering has not always been totally legal here in the UK, a mate who had an accident actually needed to take the Police riders manual to court with him back in the 70s after a filtering accident, back then some motorists used to pull stupid stunts like blocking the lane, swerving etc (R100 rocker covers put a series of really nice pinstripes down the side of more than one ) These days the driving public has become used to us filtering by and will actually often move over a little, believe it or not Vans and Trucks are often the best for this, the aggressive behaviour you pioneers are experiencing over there is probably going to die out over the next twenty years once they realise that letting you pass costs them no time they get the idea. Once you get to the front of the line just dont dawdle and hold em up.

Stewart
Old 10-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #182
MarkN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,958
I've just been reading Spitfire's post on page 11 and think that it's a well written article.

Here in the UK we have a organisation called the "Advanced Institute of Motorists" of which, I'm a motorcycle member. You have to learn to ride to an "advanced" level before taking a test with a Class 1 (normally a police motorcyclist) licence holder. The theory is based on the police system of riding here in the UK and even they spend a lot of time teaching the "correct" way to filter.

They suggest that it's only done when the traffic is slow moving, when you, the motorcyclist is doing less than 25mph and where it's legal to do so on the road.

Personally, I don't do it if there are gaps between the cars as drivers don't tend to look or do shoulder checks and will just pull over in to the faster moving lane, you're then the meat in the sandwich. I also tend to look for clues as to what another driver is doing etc, watch what they're doing, look at the wheels on the car etc.

I will also give way a bit if approaching a junction or roundabout. If I've filtered past a lot of cars etc at a junction or roundabout, I won't go straight to the front but will pull into the queue a couple of cars from the front, this allows drivers to see me and it doesn't p*** them off too much after waiting in the queue for ages.

On the other hand, while filtering on motorways, normally between lanes 2 and 3 most drivers will pull over slightly to let us bikers through. On the odd occasion when I've had an idiot pull over to block the gap I've either tapped on the window and politely asked them to let me through or I've waited for my chance to get level with their wing mirror and then given it a fair thump downwards, which normally knocks it off, as most mirrors are £150+ they don't know whether to give chase (which they can't as they're sitting in traffic) or to get out and pick it up off the floor! They won't be a twat again though
Old 01-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #183
oldturtle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
IMO lane splitting on freeways if done responsibly is usually safer than sitting behind some cage in line. Do not lane split at over 30 mph. Do not pass with open lane on either side but only between two vehicles. Do not block faster lane splitting motorcycles. Keep your lights on high beam. Keep front brake lever covered.
2009 Suz DR650
2011 Kaw 650Versys
oldturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #184
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Should be legal everywhere in the world...

Or at least ignored by all LEO. (Like straight pipes, cell phone talkers, and all the other laws that are broken on a regular basis.)
Lane "sharing" is safer on the freeways, and in town. (Getting rear-ended on a bike sucks!)
I'm glad this got bumped since I dun missed it the first time 'round.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #185
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldturtle
IMO lane splitting on freeways if done responsibly is usually safer than sitting behind some cage in line. Do not lane split at over 30 mph. Do not pass with open lane on either side but only between two vehicles. Do not block faster lane splitting motorcycles. Keep your lights on high beam. Keep front brake lever covered.
Yep, over 35 MPH, lane splitting is dangerous. Other than that, I agree it should be allowed everywhere.

Now, what about passing slow cars across the double yellow when you have ample power, space, and visibility to do so...?
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #186
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r
Now, what about passing slow cars across the double yellow when you have ample power, space, and visibility to do so...?
Legal or not, I pass when it is safe to do so.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #187
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r
Yep, over 35 MPH, lane splitting is dangerous. Other than that, I agree it should be allowed everywhere.

That 35mph 'limit' depends on where ya are. I've done it up to about 55mph in/on the freeways of Sandy Eggo 'cause EVERYbody is moving about that speed and its no big deal.

I've also had my ass pucker to the seat in San Fran at speeds slower'n that.

Depends on where ya are.

I rolled up between 1 and 2 last week 'cause I was late. Got about 3 cars behind deputy dawg in his cruiser who evidently saw me and took offense. Moved right on over to the Bott's dots. I found a MC lane all the way across to the right, then back over and once outta sight, kept on sharing. Yeah, I was still late, but WTF?! I had a good ride.

One of the things that constantly amazes me about Tucson is that people drive exactly the speed limit or slightly slower. Not that I'm a speed demon, but c'mon! Press harder on the pedal on the right dammit!

M
Old 01-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #188
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
I wanted to vote yes in any conditions, but can't seem to get there.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #189
lulo
Cochino Aventurero

Oddometer: 1,153
i grew up in south america and been riding for about 15 years, lane splitting is as natural to me as riding, i have been living int CNJ/NYC area for some years now and even tough its illegal i do it i regularly split lanes but on that note, i have never split lanes at over 25mph or in otherwise very congested traffic situations, sometimes ill respectfully come up to the front on really congested traffic lights but ill slowly creep my way around cars , nothing against fellow bikers but there are some aholes out there who will split lane on bumper to bumper traffic at over 45mph and that just plain stupid and scary for the cagers, this is something that only stirs up more adverse ideas againds us prudent bikers, i think the bottom line is that its not the lane splitting thats dangerous but the manner in witch we do so, thats just my 2 nickles
Old 03-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #190
meanrider
Banned

Oddometer: 55
lane splitting is one of the benefits of motorcycles. it should be a right.
meanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:59 PM   #191
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
I love LA but I couldn't live here if I couldn't lane split. I hate having to drive a car out here, I'm just pissed off the whole time.Now if I could just get rid of the busy body's who give me sh-it for having my dog off the leash when I'm hiking in the mountains.

A riot is the language of the unheard MLK
jamin_mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #192
meanrider
Banned

Oddometer: 55
i have lane splitted even though it's not legal. just couldn't sit there when i could split easily through.
meanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:44 PM   #193
Bear Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
After an incident in which I was changing lanes, only to have a Darwin Award wannabe begin lane splitting at the car behind me and accelerate until he was alongside me DESPITE MY TURN SIGNALS, I don't think that lane splitting has any place in moving traffic. It's diffcult enough to track several cars ahead of you, the two lanes to each side of you, and a couple of cars back without adding to the traffix mix a vehicle that doesn't have to stay in a relatively fixed path at a predictable speed.
Bear Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:08 AM   #194
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
texting while driving

Not lane splitting (so maybe I should post it elsewhere) but here's some news on texting-while-driving. I note that the relevant authority introduced the legislation as a temporary measure, and is only now looking to make it permanent. Once it is permanent for lorries and buses, the next move would be to introduce it "as a temporary measure" on other vehicles. Sometimes I don't like this creeping legislation. When it comes to texting while driving, if creeping legislation is the only way to get there, it's a good thing.

From http://skunkpost.com/news.sp?newsId=2017

brief description

Uncle Sam is sending this message: "no more"

story

KEN THOMAS,Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Transportation Department on Wednesday proposed a ban on text messaging at the wheel by interstate truck and bus drivers, following up on its call to reduce distractions that lead to crashes.
The proposal would make permanent an interim ban announced in January by Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, applying to drivers of buses and commercial trucks over 10,000 pounds. The drivers could face civil or criminal penalties.
The proposal "keeps our commitment to making our roads safer by reducing the threat of distracted driving," LaHood said.
As navigation systems, cell phones and mobile electronics have become ubiquitous in cars and trucks, safety advocates and the government have pushed for restrictions. The Transportation Department reports that 5,870 people were killed and 515,000 injured in 2008 in crashes connected to driver distraction, often involving mobile devices or cell phones.
Trucking and bus industry officials support the texting ban and many companies already have policies in place against texting behind the wheel. The government prohibition doesn't apply to onboard devices that allow dispatchers to send text messages to truck drivers, but industry officials say most of the devices have mechanisms preventing their use while a truck is moving.
Clayton Boyce, a spokesman for American Trucking Associations, said his trade group was analyzing the proposal but has supported LaHood's efforts. "Texting while driving is a serious safety hazard, which is why ATA also supports texting bans for drivers of automobiles," he said.
Twenty states and the District of Columbia already prohibit all drivers from texting behind the wheel, according to the Governors Highway Safety Association. Another nine states restrict texting by novice drivers.
The government, industry and safety organizations have found common ground on texting and driving, concerned that typing out a message on a mobile device can take a driver's eyes off the road for a dangerous number of seconds.
Research by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration shows that drivers who send and receive text messages take their eyes off the road for an average of 4.6 seconds out of every 6 seconds while texting. At 55 miles per hour, that means the driver is traveling the length of a football field without looking at the road.
Texting has grown exponentially in recent years and become a favorite form of communication among teens. The wireless industry association CTIA reported that the number of text messages sent by its members' customers increased from 32.6 billion in the first six months of 2005 to 740 billion in the first six months of 2009.
John Walls, a CTIA spokesman, said the group supports a ban on texting for all drivers: "Those are two completely incompatible behaviors — texting and safe driving."
The public has until May 3 to comment on the Transportation Department's proposed ban, and after reviewing comments the department can issue its new rule.
President Barack Obama signed an executive order directing federal employees not to use text messaging while driving government-owned vehicles or with government-owned equipment, effective at the end of last year.
Congress has also shown interest in curbing distracted driving. Democratic Sens. Charles Schumer of New York and Robert Menendez of New Jersey have introduced legislation to urge states to pass laws banning texting by all drivers. The bill would reduce federal highway aid by 25 percent to states that fail to enact bans.
___
On the Net:
Transportation Department: www.distraction.gov

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:12 AM   #195
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireTriple
Not lane splitting (so maybe I should post it elsewhere) but here's some news on texting-while-driving..

Ya think?