ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,544 77.05%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 96 4.79%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 222 11.08%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 192 9.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2004. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2010, 08:10 AM   #196
JimboX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Jersey is one of those states that has no specific statute regarding "splitting". This leaves you at the mercy of any individual LEO. I know quite a few, and their feelings on the practice runs the entire spectrum. Personally I do it when I feel it is warranted. To answer the second question DAKEZ posed: Yes, I will crank it across the double yellow to get around slow pokes. I ronically, many times the "slow poke" is some rider in "parade" mode, flags a flappin' in the breeze, and the feet up on the fold down pegs on the crash bar. I try to be courteous.
JimboX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #197
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,602
I'm voting no in protest of the badly written survey choices. "NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal"? Talk about push polling!

How about a middle ground. Each state should decide whether to allow lane splitting / sharing / filtering -- whatever you want to call it -- based on whether it makes sense for that state.

Lane splitting in traffic-congested California? Makes sense.

Lane splitting in New Mexico? Responsible riders wouldn't benefit all that much as there simply isn't the need. 95% of lane splitters would probably be hooligans doing something stupid and endangering themselves and others. So no, I wouldn't support it here.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #198
Rajah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
In case you haven't seen it:

http://jalopnik.com/5502943/the-phoe...re-preventable
Rajah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #199
IceBeard
a hack at most things

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajah
I looked at this and found this definition: Lane splitting — the practice of carefully riding through stationary or very slow moving traffic.

Yeah, right. The last time I was in CA some idiot thought the definition was riding the line at 75plusMPH between a pickup and a big rig. Now, I don't like any of the nanny-state laws we suffer under. I figure if I'm stupid enough to ride without a helmet, that's my stupid choice and I should pay the consequences, including not getting the big bucks in a law suite, or having my insurance company refuse to cover me if I don't wear one.

But lane splitting is one of those things that affects others. First of all, it encourages cagers to come into our lanes beside us and squeeze us over. Secondly, for everyone "saved" in the scenario in the link above, many more will be injured or killed by cages who don't see them coming up betwen the cars. I ride therefore I "see motorcycles," and still I've had several times driving a car that I almost pulled into a bike I didn't see coming up between the lanes. Of course living in the portland area we have a problem with special bicycle lanes. Everyone always thinks the nasty person in that gas guzzling environment destroying automobile is at fault. But that just aint the case.
IceBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #200
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBeard
Secondly, for everyone "saved" in the scenario in the link above, many more will be injured or killed by cages who don't see them coming up betwen the cars.
This is a wrong assumption. It is far safer for riders to share lanes in CA and that is why it is allowed there.

I was being a little facetious when I started this thread as there are many places where lane sharing is absolutely unnecessary. (like Montana for instance) WA, OR, TX GA,... there are many places where it could be and should be legal.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #201
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboX
Jersey is one of those states that has no specific statute regarding "splitting".
Sure about that? How are the relevant law(s) phrased?
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #202
peanut_gallery
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
If your main system for getting around the city is the freeway, or if it just plays a large part in traffic flow then I think it should be allowed during times of congestion. And filtering at stop lights is nice too.

Ive only been in Cali for 6 months and I split and filter every time I'm on the bike. I love it! And I admit that I have been that idiot that splits while traffic is flowing moving normally (only once in awhile though). I will say the mojority of cagers either don't mind or are courtious enough to give you some more space as you pass by, which I always acknowledge with a wave, or some of them i guess are scared you'll hit them and give you a ton of space. You do get the asshats that will pinch you in but you either find away around them or just wait till you can squeeze by.

It would be a massive ad campaign to educate the cagers, commercials, billboards, signs, maybe even some LEO enforcement (let 'em split or ticket), but it would still take a lot of time in some areas to get drivers to understand. Most people have the "if i can't, then they can't either" mentality.

There is a natural human reluctance to abandon ones entire life and start over somewhere else - Jeff Lindsay
peanut_gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:58 PM   #203
IceBeard
a hack at most things

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
This is a wrong assumption. It is far safer for riders to share lanes in CA and that is why it is allowed there.

I was being a little facetious when I started this thread as there are many places where lane sharing is absolutely unnecessary. (like Montana for instance) WA, OR, TX GA,... there are many places where it could be and should be legal.
I knew when I posted I was going to get called on this. You say that it is far safer--do you know of any studies?

I do lane split in places where I'm allowed, and I have to admit I've done it when it's not, too. And I think there are some place where there is a reason for it. But at full speed on the super slab is just plain dumb. Someone in a previous post said it should be left up to the states. Radical! Almost sounds like our founding fathers or a southern agratian thing.
IceBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #204
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
... for everyone "saved" in the scenario in the link above, many more will be injured or killed by cages who don't see them coming up betwen the cars.
You got any proof for that statement? I'll save you some time and provide your answer: "No". Living as I do in a country where slow or stationary car drivers expect to be overtaken by motorcyclists, and having as I do a feel for the relevant accident statistics, I can tell you that this is a non-issue. Actually, that's not entirely true, I overstate my case; If a rider is not careful, and if a car driver is negligent, filtering accidents can happen. But nowhere in Britain do I see the ridiculous waste of life that results when stationary riders are rear-ended by careless car-drivers. And that's separate from the ridiculous amount of time American motorcyclists are prepared (or legally forced) to waste, sitting idly in traffic jams.

Changing the subject slightly, perhaps the Americans who constitute the bulk of this thread will allow a non-American to comment on something:

What's with the obsession with making law state-to-state? Sure, I can understand that some states will be more heavily populated than others, and would benefit more from allowing filtering (I make no apologies for calling it that, it's a more positive word that lacks the pejorative associations of "lane-splitting"). But are there any US states where a queue of stationary traffic is never encountered? I thought not. Surely, if we can agree that filtering/lane-splitting saves lives, (and time) then it should be allowed everywhere? Why pay 50 sets of bureaucrats to do a job if you can pay just one set?

SpitfireTriple screwed with this post 04-03-2010 at 07:13 AM
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #205
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I knew when I posted I was going to get called on this. You say that it is far safer--do you know of any studies?

I do lane split in places where I'm allowed, and I have to admit I've done it when it's not, too. And I think there are some place where there is a reason for it. But at full speed on the super slab is just plain dumb. Someone in a previous post said it should be left up to the states. Radical! Almost sounds like our founding fathers or a southern agratian thing.
I knew you were going to ask... I have been looking for it but so far I have come up empty. It was some study done by the CHIP's. It was not the most scientific study but it was done in response to a request by the legislature to get an idea of the bennifets to the public.

Heck I even read it here on ADV but now can't find it.

Like you I do not think lane sharing should be allowed when traffic is flowing at normal speed.

Love the radical States rights comment.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #206
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireTriple
What's with the obsession with making law state-to-state? Sure, I can understand that some states will be more heavily populated than others, and would benefit more from allowing filtering.
But are there any US states where a queue of stationary traffic is never encountered? I thought not. Surely, if we can agree that filtering/lane-splitting saves lives, (and time) then it should be allowed everywhere? Why pay 50 sets of bureaucrats to do a job if you can pay just one set?

We are a republic here made up of 50 states. Our government was set up this way so that the things New Yorkers like would not be shoved down the throat of the people in places like Montana, Wyoming, the Dakota's....(just an example)

You made the word never bold & italic. I would say that there is almost never the need for lane sharing in many places here. Idaho, Eastern WA, Eastern OR, All of Montana, Wyoming, the Dakota's, Much of Nevada, Utah,.... I could go on. It should be allowed along the I-5 corridor from Canada to Mexico for example.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #207
Rajah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
You can always take something generally good and find an example of someone making it bad.
Rajah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #208
widebmw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by widebmw
You can't lane split in Nevada because, most of the roads are 2 lane.
The ones that are 4 lanes don't have enough traffic that you can find 2 cars to go between.
(Except Vegas, and thats not Nevada anyway)
I posted the quote above before but I don't think the anyone got it.
Most of the highways in Nevada are 2 lane, (one in each direction)
US-6, US-50, US-93, US-93.
If you go around a car its "passing"

The longest Interstate is I-80 from California to Utah.
Outside of the Reno area it would be hard to find 2 cars that are next to each other to go between.

The big exception is during "Street Vibrations" when the "Bikers" come to Reno.
There is a lot of lane splitting on the Interstste and on city streets.
The police ignore it. It's about the money they bring in.
widebmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #209
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireTriple
What's with the obsession with making law state-to-state? Sure, I can understand that some states will be more heavily populated than others, and would benefit more from allowing filtering (I make no apologies for calling it that, it's a more positive word that lacks the pejorative associations of "lane-splitting"). But are there any US states where a queue of stationary traffic is never encountered? I thought not. Surely, if we can agree that filtering/lane-splitting saves lives, (and time) then it should be allowed everywhere? Why pay 50 sets of bureaucrats to do a job if you can pay just one set?
Nothing would ever get done if we had to get everyone to agree, were a very big and diverse country. Take a look at the EU and how hard it is to get all you guys to use the same currency or to agree on who should even be in the EU. It's the same reason we have a hard time with social programs, would the UK or Germany want to pay Poland's unemployment. Pot could soon be finally legal in California but that would never happen if Kansas had a say in it. (I love Kansas I lived there when I was a kid so please don't take offense it's just not a pot smoking kind a state.) Hope I'm not Hope that helps.

PS. I'm going to go run to the pot store right now and Legally buy pot and I'm going to Lane split on my way there, I love L.A.

A riot is the language of the unheard MLK

jamin_mathis screwed with this post 04-03-2010 at 07:43 PM
jamin_mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #210
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Back from the dead

A riot is the language of the unheard MLK
jamin_mathis is offline   Reply With Quote