ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,544 77.05%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 96 4.79%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 222 11.08%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 192 9.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2004. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #226
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
You betcha it should.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #227
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,465
There's a 102 "AdvRiders" that needs to be perma banned!

Yes, I'm serious!!!! Off to Camp Banned where you will be reprogrammed from a car loving idjit to a real motorcyclist Finals will be held in NYC where you're not allowed to do anything that doesn't involve filtering or you're heading right back to Camp Banned!

Offblnz screwed with this post 07-09-2010 at 03:14 PM
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #228
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offblnz

Yes, I'm serious!!!! Off to Camp Banned where you will be reprogrammed from a car loving idjit to a real motorcyclist Finals will be held in NYC where you're not allowed to do anything that doesn't involve filtering or you're heading right back to Camp Banned!
Here is the list:

*dusty*, AirForceDirt, alansean, Allgo, AndyCap, angrypeppers, Angus McGee, Basso, begeberg, Bern, bikefree, bimmerboy, BLZ2DWL, bomber1965, brian81, Buddha135, Calibre, CGChief, Crack Monkey, craigincali, cube_zombie, Delawarerider, Desertman, dirt missile, Dolanator, drakehouse, drewhbend, Drifter, dugmar, Durden, Edgy Drifter, endurorazor, Fast55, FBF, flyahawk, FotoTEX, GGD, gragg2001, Green427, gsuser, GTStromer, hammerfer, hamrag, Hold-on, hwyrider, Iron Horse, JakeCWU, jms969, JRP, jwumpus, Kauker, kawalaser, kbuckey, kdxkawboy, kendives, klrobins, kodiakfrank, krellheat, KSJEEPER, LarryC, Le Barge, M a v e r i c k, massiveH, mb90535im, Messorius, Motor31, motorfiveo, mrprez, mtsabbath, NativeSon, Navy Chief, Nightrunner, okie1, ottoman, PapaSuave, peckerwood, PSS, Quick_1911, RickE, ride2live, sandmar, scblock, scottbed, Shatrat, smilin jack, space, tbirdsp, Teager, Texspeleo, TheOtherSteve256, thestickman, the_gr8t_waldo, Thurman, Toto, trturnerfamily, truax, vagt6, WanderingNewYorker, woodworker, WSikorski, yeroc40, ZONKR

Get busy

Forget Angus McGee. He has been converted.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #229
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offblnz

Go ahead, I couldn't care less. BTW, I was riding when you were still in diapers. I dare you to come down here and try to lane split! You wouldn't last half a day.
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #230
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez
Go ahead, I couldn't care less. BTW, I was riding when you were still in diapers. I dare you to come down here and try to lane split! You wouldn't last half a day.
California drivers aren't exactly know for being good drivers only slowing down for a stop sign a is often called a "California stop" in other parts of the country.

A riot is the language of the unheard MLK
jamin_mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #231
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Go ahead, I couldn't care less. BTW, I was riding when you were still in diapers.
Self banning is allowed you know... If you truly "couldn't care less" then... Well, you know that saying about the door hitting you is the A$$.

Quote:
I dare you to come down here and try to lane split! You wouldn't last half a day.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #232
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,294
Quote:
In the video above to who and why is the rider waving? Is this in response to single finger salutes?
mrprez, As a Southern California regular commuter and lanesplitter, the wave the guy is doing, is a courtesy wave whenever a cage driver makes the effort to pull over a bit to give you room to get by. It's a nice gesture by the driver and a little wave to thank them.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #233
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
How could it be done in stages?

Granted, places like Montana have no need for lane splitting. (well there is Reserve street in Missoula... but other than that???)
maybe somthing like you're only allowed to split stationary vehicles. That would only allow splittng at lights and dead stopped traffic jams. Then have the particular provision sunset in a few years.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #234
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb I like this idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka
maybe somthing like you're only allowed to split stationary vehicles. That would only allow splittng at lights and dead stopped traffic jams. Then have the particular provision sunset in a few years.

I would be down with this. Dead stopped traffic is the only time I am truly tempted to lane share anyway.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #235
steve3b3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Of Course!
steve3b3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #237
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Why are you here when you're such a bore?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #238
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka
+ another one. Not a bad idea at all Now we just have to get the AMA, MSF any and all of the moto mags to start pushing the legislature through and then we'll probably see the first tests in, oooh, I don't know, 20 to 30 years time
Old 05-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #239
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Hells yes.

I'd even start it off with just controlled intersections, to get people used to it. The risk is pretty much zero, so long as the statue reads that you must merge back into traffic as soon as the light turns green, whether you are at the front yet or not.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #240
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Of course it should be LEGAL. I know from experience that when you are sitting in stop and go traffic or unable to filter to the front at stop lights, that is when you are very vuknerable to an inattentive driver plowing into you from behind or trying to occupy the lane you are in.

When I lived in California I split lanes all the time whether it was on the freeway or around the city. I cannot do this now where I currenlty live RI, although there is no helmet law for operators of motorcycles, so I don't understand the logic here)and always feel extremely vulnerable in stopped/slow moving traffic. I'd rather take my chances splitting than wait around for someone to drive right into me while I am a sitting duck.

And those of you who said it is too dangerous and should stay illegal, I am just baffled by this. If you are uncomfortable doing so, noone is going to make you.