ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,544 77.05%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 96 4.79%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 222 11.08%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 192 9.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2004. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #526
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,852
Well, I have been seeing on the news that traffic is absolutely horrible in the northeast due to a lack of mass transit after Sandy. You guys that live in the NYC and NJ areas that commute by bike, I know some of you are going to start filtering. Do it safely please, and show people that it is a safe and viable option for transit (just like in London). Don't make us all look like hooligans any more than we are already stereotyped.

And as Dakez would say, have Fun!
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #527
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
I thought traffic was already bad in NYC, and that being on a good day, before the storm.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #528
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
This video just came out today. It's not scientific, but a good discussion from guys with different upbringings in the mot world.

I'm originally from PA, and I realize how anti we all were, but that's probably more just due to having been raised in an area that it was illegal.

Up in Toronto it took my buddies and I some time to catch on to what was happening around us, but it worked on the times we got the hint from the motorcyclists going around us.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 04:01 PM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #529
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Every time I heard Wes talk I imagined it was your voice.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #530
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696

DAKEZ screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 07:54 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #531
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,610
With regard to the "traffic opening up for you like magic", of course it does. When sitting in a car, you observe the accordion effect, when traffic bunches up, then opens up, then repeats. This is due to people speeding up and slowing down, rather than just rolling at a slower pace. It just happens. When you are splitting, you tend to be between lanes through the bunched up sections, and in the open and moving sections when they appear. You don't notice the accordion effect nearly as much because you are able to defeat it by splitting or filtering.

FSMdamn, is it good!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #532
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Cool2

Jeezzzz, everyone in Europe does it all the time!!!!!!! One great advantage of riding a motorcycle, is getting to the front of stationary traffic..... Canadian and USA laws are in some respect out dated. Safety first always , but it is possible to do it carefully.....
Import
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #533
aterry1067
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
I wish it were legal and accepted here. My experience in other countries with this style of riding is mainly in SE Asia. I loved it and it was almost a necessity if you want to get anywhere. If there is an accident, medical care is adequate at best, and good medical care can usually be found if you can provide the money. And this leads to one thing I have noticed in many other countries that is different from here in the US and other first world countries, although I wish it were that way here. And that is, is many other places in the world, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!!! Legal or not, you probably won't get much flak for minor traffic infractions, but if you screw up and get hurt, them that's on you. If you hurt someone else in the process, then you're really screwed. It's a bit of encouragement to be safe with your decisions. My $0.02.
aterry1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #534
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by aterry1067 View Post
I wish it were legal and accepted here. My experience in other countries with this style of riding is mainly in SE Asia. I loved it and it was almost a necessity if you want to get anywhere. If there is an accident, medical care is adequate at best, and good medical care can usually be found if you can provide the money. And this leads to one thing I have noticed in many other countries that is different from here in the US and other first world countries, although I wish it were that way here. And that is, is many other places in the world, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!!! Legal or not, you probably won't get much flak for minor traffic infractions, but if you screw up and get hurt, them that's on you. If you hurt someone else in the process, then you're really screwed. It's a bit of encouragement to be safe with your decisions. My $0.02.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #535
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Well, I have been seeing on the news that traffic is absolutely horrible in the northeast due to a lack of mass transit after Sandy. You guys that live in the NYC and NJ areas that commute by bike, I know some of you are going to start filtering. Do it safely please, and show people that it is a safe and viable option for transit (just like in London). Don't make us all look like hooligans any more than we are already stereotyped.

And as Dakez would say, have Fun!
Traffic in north Jersey and NYC is ALWAYS shit. To the point that if I'm going to the city I just take a train into Philly and then take the express line. The tickets are about the same price as all of the damn tolls from an hour south of Trenton, AND I can bring booze.

Either way, I have a good friend that works for NJDOT and is a rider, they aren't going to allow us to split in Jerzystan any time soon.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #536
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #537
go2cnavy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
It should not be legal nor illegal - like California. Leave it up to the discretion of an observing police officer to whether or not your lane splitting was putting other's lives in danger. I lane split - even in RI. However, there are times when I do not because it is not safe - not because it is illegal.

990A / 450 EXC R/ 250 EXC/ 450R - for sale
go2cnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #538
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by go2cnavy View Post
It should not be legal nor illegal - like California. Leave it up to the discretion of an observing police officer to whether or not your lane splitting was putting other's lives in danger. I lane split - even in RI. However, there are times when I do not because it is not safe - not because it is illegal.
It's not illegal until you're caught... :)

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #539
vaara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post

This was the product of years of hard work, wheedling, cajoling, etc. by several members of BARF (among others) who have finally gotten the CHP on board.

1 down, 49 to go!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #540
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
As mentioned before, I'm from the UK, have always done it and in fact, was trained to. I even needed to do it, in order to get to the test centre in time for my motorcycle test, due to a traffic jam we encountered on the way there! To me, it seems hilarious that any motorcyclist of any sort of reasonable level of competence would be against legally being able to choose to do it, when conditions permit doing it safely.

This video pretty much demonstrates my own attitude/approach to filtering, when in a large city like London, where filtering is commonplace.

I was riding there, not ATGATT (as I was only riding 2 miles), in below freezing conditions earlier this week. I was still filtering, albeit more cautiously than normal.

To those who don't do it and think it shouldn't be legal: I think the single greatest factor is your fear based on your perception (put bluntly; your uninformed opinion) of the risk associated with doing it.