ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,492 76.87%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.79%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.28%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 185 9.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1941. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #616
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Actually pretty sure that there are a 5-6 other states that don't have specific prohibitions about lane splitting. I'm also really sure that you don't want to try it in front of a cop in any of them.
I can tell you that Maryland State Patrol is not amused if you pass them while lane splitting and they are stuck in the traffic jam, I am guessing that he did not get my license plate number as I never got any awards in the mail, but he did flash his lights at me after I went by...
Navy Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #617
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,387
I have no doubt that here in SC MOST drivers would be out to get a rider if they thought the rider gained an advantage. Many would chase the bike down. If that sounds like fear, it is.

Education? Right, can we get them out of the left lane first?

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #618
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Actually pretty sure that there are a 5-6 other states that don't have specific prohibitions about lane splitting. I'm also really sure that you don't want to try it in front of a cop in any of them.

http://blogs.findlaw.com/injured/201...ing-legal.html
Old 04-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #619
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Repaired.

Lane Splitting Legal in California

California is the only state that specifically provides for legal lane splitting. According to the California Highway Patrol, lane splitting is legal if it is done in a "safe and prudent manner."
Old 04-28-2014, 10:54 PM   #620
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

California is the only state that specifically provides for legal lane splitting. According to the California Highway Patrol, lane splitting is legal if it is done in a "safe and prudent manner."
Indeed its glorious.

I still feel dirty when I do it, but damn if I don't do it.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:10 PM   #621
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Even better was when lane splitting and some asshat tried to cut me off... had to really slam the brakes and almost dropped the bike.

Unknown to both of us, there was a CHP motorcycle cop right behind me!

"You in the white Sierra, pull to the shoulder. Now. BMW rider, take care and be safe."
Rgconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:15 AM   #622
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
i marvel somewhat at the amount of drivers that try to impede me daily. i mean, seriously folks. what kind of person is so miserable and resentful they think to block a motorcycle? i wish it was simply dumb on their part. but its not. its dangerous and they have no business doing it

now, we pass hundreds, even thousands of cars a day. many never see us passing, and so many more are courteous rather then dangerous to us. the amount of people who "make room" is astounding. and as a rider i really do appreciate it

but you know what? their are enough people who move over and try to block to notice. and its like i used to say about people in cars even when i drove a car. people are so brave when in their cars. these people i can assure you have quite serious issues with life

trying to stop a motorcycle from passing, and putting the rider at danger. someone tried to swipe me the other day. two SUV's rode inward on me as i split between them. BOTH of them

i would not bring it up if not for this thread and discussion. but i tend to look past these things when riding sometimes. because it happens a lot and is part of riding. and that is not going to ruin lane splitting for me. but honestly trying to hit or block a motorcycle on the road is an act of a sick mind. and WE always have to remember a few people are trying to hit us out there. with intent. and that is serious enough to consider every once in a awhile

i don't get mad, really. i hardly give it a thought now when riding because it happens. i don't question it. but sometimes i do think who are you in there, and what is your problem? i've been yelled at by some of these maniacs, too

wtf?
Old 04-29-2014, 01:18 AM   #623
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,834
I had someone actually pass, slow down, and then obstruct me yesterday....

I shouted, flashed my lights, beeped my pathetic horn, gave him the ADV salute, shook my head in a disparaging way..

and then I looked down...

stupid non-cancelling indicators.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:06 AM   #624
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,516
Sitting in rush hour traffic yesterday, made worse by the fact that every single effing road is under construction now, I dearly wished for the ability to split lanes. There was so much room, just a perfect little private freeway right up the middle of the two lanes everyone was stuck in, and my air-cooled DR wasn't particularly enjoying just idling at a standstill. Fortunately, I got out of the jam before I started overheating, but if that had happened, I'd have probably just rolled up slowly to the front of the line. I'm not wrecking my engine just because everyone else is driving a cage and can't stand to be passed.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #625
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

CHP guidelines are not law.
"Lane splitting in a safe and prudent manner is not illegal in the state of California." From: http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

Note the CHP does not claim that the practice is legal (there is a very real difference between being legal, and not being illegal (yay lawyer talk)).

California statutes still do not address the legality of lane splitting. There is no law specifically addressing the practice. If you ride smartly, and in accordance with the CHP guidelines, you won't be hassled over it. But if you violate the guidelines you will cited for reckless riding, or not riding within the lane, or any number of other applicable moving violations.

As a practical matter lane splitting is legal in CA; as a legal matter it isn't.

Also of note: Local and county police forces are under no obligation to follow CHP guidelines.

k-moe screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 04:00 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #626
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
well lane splitting may not be legal, exactly. but law has been implemented against those who try to hurt us. they even have violation codes, so its official

Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400).

Opening a vehicle door to impede a motorcycle is illegal (CVC 22517)

and that is written into the lane splitting"guidelines" and is addressing the practice, specifically. and it means a lot because when we say "legal" it means whereas before if a car door swung open and smashed our bike, a big gray area could very well be there. who was responsible? but those specific violations change that and mean splitters are doing something that is OK. hit us and try to blame us and those who are not smart enough to know the rider will win in court may lose their license and have other big surprises coming

so, that is a ton on our side. the fact they have made it illegal to block us, or open a door on us. and when the insurance company gets word of the violation and....you get the picture.

so "legal?" nope. but who needs them, anyway? this is a freedom issue and riders are free to do it within reason in California. we all understand that. their are road rules and guidelines for everything and everyone and every action on the road, including riders who lane split. lane splitting is not a violation of law, but blocking us legally is.

sounds like we are free to split and are legally protected if someone hurts a rider splitting. its good no law exist in favor of it, because then it could be taken away. its best the way it is. its just done. and don't think you can rightfully hit me with your car. the state of California says you will pay. it does not have to be "legal" for the law to be squarely on our side. thats a good thing imo

DudeClone screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 04:55 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #627
Kent Glasscock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Read the article and they reference the LaneSplittingIsLegal.com website. I checked it out and there was a part in there I didn't know about, and thats the AMA now starting to push for legislation in favor of lane splitting. Before, they were very quiet about the issue. I see this as a good thing.
Kent Glasscock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #628
infinityedge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Note the CHP does not claim that the practice is legal (there is a very real difference between being legal, and not being illegal (yay lawyer talk)).
That is not how law works.

If there isn't a law making something illegal, then it is legal.

Quote:
http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=892
illegal
1) adj. in violation of statute, regulation or ordinance, which may be criminal or merely not in conformity.
If there is no statute, regulation or ordinance with regards to lane splitting, then it is legal.
infinityedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:59 PM   #629
Squidbrah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityedge View Post
That is not how law works.

If there isn't a law making something illegal, then it is legal.

If there is no statute, regulation or ordinance with regards to lane splitting, then it is legal.
But you'd be damn sure some cop would give you a careless driving ticket if he saw you splitting in a state where there's no statute.

It looks dangerous to people who aren't used to seeing it.
Squidbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #630
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidbrah View Post
But you'd be damn sure some cop would give you a careless driving ticket if he saw you splitting in a state where there's no statute.

Exactly my point.