ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,490 76.84%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.80%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.29%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 185 9.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1939. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #631
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
i understand its a non issue for those who live in less populated towns and cities, and many fall of the side of "illegal" because laws it would seem are hard to change. and with such a small amount of motorcyclists on the road what would be the motivation of any politician to push for this? it might even be unpopular where its proposed

This sums it up nicely DudeClone!

A proposed bill to allow lane-splitting has come up a few times in the Texas Legislature in the past.
The bill actually passed the State Senate, but never made it to the floor in the House, it died along with several hundred other bills which is typical when they get hung up on more important issues, like school finance and redistricting, same issues they get hung up on every session.

I called my State Senator and she said she would vote for it , which she did. She had no feelings on it one way or another, and she had not even heard of it, as I was the only one who had called on it.

Same with my State Rep, she said she would vote for it if it came up which it never did, she also didn't care one way or another.
Too many other issues and this one is far under the radar, I don't think it will ever get changed here, and not because of any opposition to it. The Texas political process makes it damn near impossible to get any bill passed, good or bad.

That being said up until 2 years ago I used to split everyday on my commute, morning and afternoon. Every once in a while a truck would try to block me, and more often someone would honk their horn to express their displeasure, and once someone took video of me with their cellphone, maybe they were amused, or maybe they were going to turn it into the POPO. I seen other bikes split along this route too (I35W North FW), most didn't but it was starting to get fairly common before I moved.

I have since moved, and with my new commute, I couldn't lane-split if I wanted to, not enough traffic. I tend to avoid crowded cities especially at the wrong time of day, but I will not hesitate to split again should the opportunity come up.

Some laws are unjust, and I have given up trying to change them, we are a minority here in TX <5% in a sea of F250's. I think the only way to get it changed is for everybody to just start doing it, to get cagers used to it. I have seen a lot more riders doing it in the past few years in DFW, and as traffic gets worse and to the point of total congestion, I think you will see it more. The State Senator that wrote the bill cited that everyone was already doing it in Dallas, Austin Etc..., and there was no need to make lawbreakers out of these riders, he also said it would improve traffic flow. We are not as bad as LA yet, but since that is where it all started, I think that is how and why it started, riders just saying fuck the law I 'm not going to sit here till I have heat-stroke. I bet on a hot August day In Phoenix, Dallas, or Atlanta with a major wreck or traffic tie-up others have done the same. OK I am stepping down off my soapbox now!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:25 AM   #632
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Encouraged here.

In Thailand, here I live at present, motorcycle filtering / lane splitting / call it what you like is legal, the norm, and encouraged. In Japan it is the same, as I recall. It makes sense, and helps the traffic flow, especially where there are a large number of motorcycles.

Some light controlled intersections have a box for motorcycles to filter into.

At those that don't, riders filter anyway.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #633
Squidbrah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
It's legal everywhere in the world except USA.

Protect mah freedomz
Squidbrah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #634
sdmichael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
The most issue I have with lane-splitting here in California aren't the people that don't give room. It is with those that do give room. Most people seem to keep their lane and space. The ones that swerve as I arrive to "make room" are the ones I wonder about. How am I to tell the difference between this person "making room" and the other swerving due to phone/debris/coffee spill/...? It then makes it more difficult to tell if they actually saw me and won't just swerve back. I'd prefer drivers just stay where they are. Some of the ones that swerve just start driving in the shoulder... which only pushes more debris into the roadway! Simply put - I don't trust the "wavers" and those that "make room". Having been hit by someone else that was "waved out"... I tend to think it is a very unsafe and dumb move.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #635
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
well if they are swerving that is one thing, but i think its mostly safe to say if you are approaching, traffic is tight, and cars are just creeping along....if someone "moves over" right before you reach them they have "seen" you and are being courteous. you never want to count on this, of course, but most of the time its likely the case. i find a car moving out for me much better then one moving in, intentionally or not
Old 05-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #636
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,832
I love lane splitting. When it gets hot in Las Vegas, you want to stay in motion. After a cop harassed me for doing it I stopped doing it all of the time. Now I only exercise it if people are dilly dallying.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #637
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
So much for the land of the free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidbrah View Post
It's legal everywhere in the world except USA.

Protect mah freedomz
As stated on a poster for the film Easy Rider:

Two men riding across America looking for freedom….. and they didn't find it anywhere.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #638
sdmichael
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
well if they are swerving that is one thing, but i think its mostly safe to say if you are approaching, traffic is tight, and cars are just creeping along....if someone "moves over" right before you reach them they have "seen" you and are being courteous. you never want to count on this, of course, but most of the time its likely the case. i find a car moving out for me much better then one moving in, intentionally or not
Where I find this "courteous" being odd is when the car in front of this person is much farther to the right, making any move this person made rather moot. I just assume everyone stays where they are and I'll figure things out. "Being nice" tends to end in problems on the road. A "nice" driver moving over on one side might end up squeezing another rider or colliding with another car, neither of which is beneficial for anyone.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #639
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
As a rider living in the tri-state area of the northeast, I could not vote for legal lane splitting. We are all to agressive and insane as a group of people to be able to deal with motorcylese legally allowed to split lanes. They would simply be killed out on the roads here.
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #640
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmichael View Post
Where I find this "courteous" being odd is when the car in front of this person is much farther to the right, making any move this person made rather moot. I just assume everyone stays where they are and I'll figure things out. "Being nice" tends to end in problems on the road. A "nice" driver moving over on one side might end up squeezing another rider or colliding with another car, neither of which is beneficial for anyone.
you know this makes some sense. it is something i will always consider now when riding. i learn something everyday, it would seem

however i still like it when they move. it makes me feel good. but with my new, more balanced outlook i will let it go so far, and never assume anything. after all no matter what i think i have no control over what they do. i can only SEE and react whatever i think
Old 05-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #641
Kent Glasscock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Moved to the Boise area about 5 months ago. I commute on my WR250, coming back today from work, there was a wreck, and traffic was backed up. I was sitting there and two guys in Harleys rode past me. So... I followed. Didn't go very far. Only one car honked. What was weird was when the 184 connected to 84, they both stopped doing it. And so did I. Though maybe they saw a cop or something. But no. I'm honestly still hesitant to want to do it mostly because of what was discussed here concerning ticketed for reckless driving (possibly), or the angry driver. I'll admit there is a nervousness. But damn, it's awesome. Being that there are many who move here from Cali, I think they won't mind (hopefully but no guarantee). The police on the other hand, may.
Kent Glasscock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #642
khager
Studly Adventurer

As stated in my previous post, I have split every day for years on my commute, usually 2-4 miles to get to my exit. In that time I have never been pulled over by the police. Now I don't intentionally go by them, I usually duck in a few cars back when I spot one, but I have gone by them on occasion, when I didn't see them in time or I couldn't find a space. On of them did blip his lights/siren at me. Yes I know they are stuck with everyone else and they can't really chase me in a traffic jam, but there have been a few times where they could have made me pull over and didn't. One of those I was following another lane-splitter from a good distance, and as we came up on the wreck he pulled over and dismounted at the wreck site, well as I got closer I noticed he was a Moto-Cop, (it was dark and he wasn't running his lights) damn, and there was nowhere to go, the freeway was totally shut down and no one was getting thru, well instead of motioning me to pull over so he can write me a ticket, he waves me thru between the concrete barrier and the wrecked vehicles and squad cars, but there wasn't enough room for cages to squeeze thru. Now I have the freeway to myself

Once I did get pulled over for riding on the shoulder, and the cop told me not to do that anymore, that is THEIR lane for emergency vehicles only. He was nice about it though and did not give me a ticket. I asked about lane-splitting and he said it didn't bother him, but other Cops well it may, and they could write you up for something. So needless to say I don't ride the shoulder anymore.

Granted I have been lucky to some degree, and I don't know how much a fine for lane-splitting would be, I have heard some people in TX getting wrote up for improper lane usage or something like that.

As much time as I have saved even if I did get a ticket it would be well worth it, and I am prepared to suffer the consequences. Long as I don't get them too often.

How many people here never break the speed limit? I mean it is against the law!
Old 05-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #643
sdmichael
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
Once I did get pulled over for riding on the shoulder, and the cop told me not to do that anymore, that is THEIR lane for emergency vehicles only. He was nice about it though and did not give me a ticket. I asked about lane-splitting and he said it didn't bother him, but other Cops well it may, and they could write you up for something. So needless to say I don't ride the shoulder anymore.
Riding the shoulder is stupid and unsafe... and highly illegal. If nothing else, where do you think all the debris on the roadway gets blown/shoved/...? You wouldn't drive the shoulder, why ride a motorcycle there? Thankfully, here in CA, where it is legal to split, that sort of idiotic behavior is only rarely seen. Shoulders and bicycle lanes aren't lanes you "split" regardless of the legality of splitting in the first place.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #644
khager
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmichael View Post
Riding the shoulder is stupid and unsafe... and highly illegal. If nothing else, where do you think all the debris on the roadway gets blown/shoved/...? You wouldn't drive the shoulder, why ride a motorcycle there? Thankfully, here in CA, where it is legal to split, that sort of idiotic behavior is only rarely seen. Shoulders and bicycle lanes aren't lanes you "split" regardless of the legality of splitting in the first place.

Yeah, yeah, I know my bad, but you do see a lot of it here. Maybe because lane-splitting is illegal.

And you will see cages doing it too in the areas with wider shoulders.

Also you will see pickups driving thru the medians. Welcome to Tejas!
Old 05-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #645
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
It would take a lot of education.

No, nothing is being taken away from the car & trucks stuck in the traffic.

No, filtering/splitting does not mean riding 80 between cars creeping at 20.