User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
daveg OP
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 787
Texas to Tierra del Fuego

I will be leaving Houston on Saturday! I’ve more excited than nervous, but barely. I have two days left at home to do the final preparations (like canceling internet service, my cell phone, last minute maintenance, and the actual packing of the bike.

Later tomorrow I will be editing the packing list with my final gear list. Yes, I will be bringing a towel. Also tomorrow in addition to an oil change on the Mini (which did great on my 3 weeks of road trips), I will change the oil on the bike, top off the battery, change coolant fluid, adjust chain tension, and loctite appropriate bolts (like luggage rack). There seems to be tons to do and I’m a bit overwhelmed, but I really want to start the trip on Saturday.

My proposed route is:
Houston -> Cuidad Victoria, Mexico -> Villahermosa -> somewhere on the beach in the Yucatan. I’ll spend a few days going down the coast trying to find cheap lodging and good diving. I want to check out some of the diving in Belize and some mayan ruins.. then head to NW Guatemala.

For those of you in Houston tonight, I’m going to hang out at the Onion Creek from 9+ for steak night. What a better way to leave the USA than a traditional meal of Steak and Potatoes.

I'm going to be riding my 2006 F650gs. Somehow I convinced work to allow me to induldge on an extended vacation until the middle January. People at work kept describing my trip as a mid-life crisis. How can it be if I'm only 29?

As for overall plan, my only firm date is Ushuaia for christmas =]
Old 07-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
GreenRiverRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Good luck and happy travels, Dave! I leave for an as of yet undecided destination somewhere in South America on September 1st. We'll be almost 2 months behind you, but who knows? Maybe our paths will cross.

Cheers,
Shannon

Asheville_to_Panama_(or_further) ~ My travel website.
GreenRiverRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
moderndaydrifter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Godspeed!

I'm envious. I hope to leave sometime in September, pretty much the same trip as you, so I hope to see you for Christmas. Godspeed and be safe, Ill be watching you close, being your a couple months ahead of me.
Daniel
moderndaydrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
smeghead
b00b

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg
ow me to induldge on an extended vacation until the middle January. People at work kept describing my trip as a mid-life crisis. How can it be if I'm only 29?
Well - strictly arithmetically speaking that would mean you will only live to 58-60

See you in Los Ebanos.

-smeg
smeghead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
jfink
Can't get there from here

Oddometer: 109
Good luck dude, be safe, keep posting. I am like 4 years behind you, when I retire. If 29 is mid-life crisis I must be having an end of life crisis. I am located here in Houston but obviously missed your going away party. But I plan to attend your coming back party.
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:10 AM   #6
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,397
Dave,

Por favor, take as many photos as possible and post 'em up. I'm particularly interested initially on your run down the east coast of Mexico. It's a great area. Carry lots of water and drink often - it will be toasty and humid through there.

Buena suerte...

Bob

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Good luck dave. I kind of messed up my mexico trip..... but i did get to ride in Mex for a little while....

Cant wait to see the pics!
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
Chakaron
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I'm curious... how are you planning to handle the Darian Gap, in southern Panama. I understand there is no road linking southern Panama to Columbia. I have looked into boat or plane transportation, for me and my bike, with no success. Any ideas?

Chakaron
Puerto Escondido, Mexico
Chakaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,358
Argh! Lucky bastage.

What a great trip, and a solid bike to ride it, and a heck of a lot of time to enjoy it fully. Looking forward to your reports.

Ricka-frigga-ranken-rickity-rack! Some people get all the fun!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
2uprtw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
You are going to have a blast! It all gets easier the minute you leave the driveway and there's no turning back!
I'm killing time in Bolivia with my wife and wish we were back in Central America. The distances are less mind numbing and it's a hell of alot warmer!

You must go to Colombia. Great riding and even greater people!

Quote:
I'm curious... how are you planning to handle the Darian Gap, in southern Panama. I understand there is no road linking southern Panama to Columbia. I have looked into boat or plane transportation, for me and my bike, with no success. Any ideas?
If I might answer this, there is now only one plane carrier that will take motorcycles; Girag which flies out of Panama. They will charge you 550$ US for the bike. The only prep required is to disconnect the battery (they don't always ask for this) and to make sure the fuel tank is near empty. There are mixed reviews on using this company but the majority have had no problems (took 2 days for us, the bike was flown to Bogota).
If you want to take a boat you will need to sail it across (as in sailboat). Many boats can take on a motorcycle and they charge around 300$ (?) for the bike.

Have a great trip!
2uprtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
Tico
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Costa Rica

When you are for coming to Costa Rica, write in the forum and we will see in that we can help you.
In advance to say to you that already you have friends for what you need.
Oscar
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #12
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,695
Wish I could go

Your a lucky man. Take your time and enjoy, savour, take pictures of this event. You may never make it back again to some of these places so dont rush through and capture them on film.

Really wish I could talk work and the wife in to an extended vacation. I am really having a mid life crissis. 32 yrs and counting and I feel like Im missing out on chasing my deam of all the way around this globe.

Good luck Good bless and have a blast!

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,077
good luck mate!
I'm in Managua, Nicaragua if you need help.
I have a big house where you can relax a couple of days if needed.
Enjoy the trip south!
S.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
sperkins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
good luck on your trip!!! but it sounds like it is going to be amazing!
Old 07-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #15
Hobiesan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
godspeed

Look forward to reading more!
Hobiesan is offline   Reply With Quote