User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2002, 08:34 AM   #1
freaking RT OP
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,706
Fatality Facts: Motorcycles

We have had how many BBS brothers and sisters go down so far this year??? Boyscout, Chopperman, Chadhargis, Denisesewa and ???

Pep had a recent close call. Steve had a close call up on Shenandoah Mountain one day. I had a close call on some slick stuff in KY.

this is from Highwaysafety.org

http://www.highwaysafety.org/safety_...s/motorcyl.htm

be careful out there boys and girls!!!

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama

freakingRTrider screwed with this post 05-20-2002 at 04:22 AM
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 08:57 AM   #2
Baldy
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,924
Great article. Made me wince to read it. I added it to the hall of wisdom.

I didn't realize 41% of deaths come from running off the road on our own.... And the next biggest was riding at night drunk.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:37 AM   #3
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
Another Ray of Sunshine

From the person that brought is Death Row Vittles!

Good find Freak. So wear a helmet, don't drink , and don't ride between 6 PM and 3 AM Friday to Sunday. That will increase your odds of not getting killed while riding.

I love statistics.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 09:45 AM   #4
Dutchman
Diskussionsleiter

Oddometer: 814
Cry Ouch..................

Good article, Freakmeister..................

DUTCHMAN

Dutchblog
Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 09:50 AM   #5
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,457
Yep;

The whole thing is a bummer..This is just the start of the spring fever riding season here around the bay area and we have already lost 5 in a 50 mile circle around the area..

God speed and peace be with your loved ones you left behind..

Joc
jocflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 09:53 AM   #6
AJ2
Master of the Universe

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally posted by Baldy

I didn't realize 41% of deaths come from running off the road on our own.... And the next biggest was riding at night drunk.
Hmmm, 41% runs off road, it doesn't specify if some cellphone-toting Excursion-driving piece of shit runs you off the road. It's actually somewhat comforting that many of the fatalities involve DWI and/or unlicensed(I'm assuming this implies either lack of experience or lack of ability to keep a license) riders.
I'm more concerned about accidents caused by others' carelessness and incompetence. If I have a dozen beers and go ride in the rain in the dark and crash into a tree, well, don't shed any tears.
I find the NHTSA stats to generally demonstrate that reasonably responsible riding is safer than most non-riders I know believe.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:14 AM   #7
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,170
Quote:
Originally posted by Baldy

Bald one, you are right on. I find the trend very disturbing because both of these are totally preventable. I find I can't stress this enough when I teach the MSF basic course.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 10:21 AM   #8
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
well I want to see that 41% broken down further.

As mentioned, how many are run off the road?
how many run off due to panic amneuvers in an emergency situation?
how many due to fatigue?
how many due to squid factor?

as usual the whole story sin't presented.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:44 AM   #9
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,293
Thumbs down

Well, I guess I kind of fit that chart pretty good(even though it wasn't a fatality, thank goodnes). Here I am a daily commuter in SoCal, and I was sure my big crash was gonna be from some cellphone SUV driver on the way to work, but no, my "big" crash 2 years ago was a single vehicle accident, where I ran off the road on a Saturday, on a road that I have traveled hundreds of times with no problem. Trying to push the limit on my latest wammy-jammy race replica sportbike. In other words total "squid factor".
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 11:09 AM   #10
Arbey Canuck
Ageless Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Thanks for the fact ... Freak.

Not surprising at all. I imagine if one was to look at totals over the last 20 yrs ... the trends and percentages would be pretty much the same.

Motorcycling is a RISK taking proposition ... PERIOD!!!!! While circumstances outside a riders control add to fatality numbers ... we the riders ... are the number one contributor!!!!!!

Speaking personally ... having been on the roads for 30+ yrs ... I'd like to think common sense, an ever increasing trend of wisdom & maturity and meticulous upkeep of my bikes are the major reasons I'm still riding. However ... considering it only takes one single moment in time to put you onto the fatality list ... and my potential moments over the years ... to numerous to count (though the 3 positive points have always dominated my approach) ... it is with gratitude that I understand quite simply ... that my number has not come up yet ... end of story!!!!!!!

It is with this understanding that I ride on ... even more motivated to do all I can to make the difference in any given situation ... always learning & experiencing in the pursuit of greater riding wisdom and maturity!!!!

Finally ... every time I throw a leg over ... I accept the fact that ... no matter how wise and mature I've become ... motorcycling is STILL ... a risk taking proposition!!!! I'm okay with that however. Riding one of fundemental processes that provides oxygen to my blood ... and to not do so ... I would be half dead already!!!!!!!!!!

Riding is always a good day
Arbey Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 09:26 PM   #11
Killen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Thumb Thank you Freak!

It only takes one mistake.

Good information to read before the weekend and all the summer riding. It could happen any day and any way. With or without a motorcycle. We all take risks by riding...but we all have passion for the ride. It helps define our FUN and recreation. I'm a confident but conservative rider and the one quote that Eddy gives me shit about has kept me safe for many miles.

"It's not about Speed"....Killen

Ride Safe
Killen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 10:36 PM   #12
Vic'ious
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Yup

Nothing like cold hard facts to help keep Complacency at bay...YMMV:):

Ride Safe
Vic'ious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 11:34 PM   #13
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 61,229
It would be interesting to have access to the raw data to do some number crunching. It looks like if you make it past age 44, wear a helmet, don't ride much at night, avoid DUI, and spend most of your time on freeways and minor roads, your odds increase quite dramatically. Too bad there aren't figures by brand of bike, use of protective gear (beyond a helmet) and graduation from safety school. I'd be willing to bet one could get the odds down quite close to the auto average with the right profile. (Sound of knocking on wood.)

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 12:02 AM   #14
Baldy
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,924
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
...I'd be willing to bet one could get the odds down quite close to the auto average with the right profile. (Sound of knocking on wood.)
I do believe there is an upside to this... Since I resumed motorcycling over the last few years, 3 of my dearest friends (all fathers) died in car wrecks. That and the horrible statistics with motorcycles have driven me to read the books, take the classes, think about traffic patterns, visibility, etc., and I believe I'm a far safer cage pilot than I ever was before.

I was a driver for UPS for a few years and they made us take some defensive driving classes at the time, but I didn't take them seriously. Now I do.

Like kurt, I've tried to figure out the odds and I think I'm even with cars now on a bike, and far better behind the wheel.

Ben and I were taking a Taxi in Stavanger, Norway, in frenentic traffic and as usual I struck up a conversation with the driver. He was 65 and had been driving a cab 47 years--two of them in England on the wrong side of the road. No accidents. Nada. Zip. Not a fender bender. I asked how he did it. His answer: I back off.

It can be done.
Old 05-18-2002, 11:43 PM   #15
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Re: Fatality Facts: Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally posted by freakingRTrider
We have had how many BBS brothers and sisters go down so far this year??? Boyscout, Chadhargis, Denisesewa and ???
What happened to Chadhargis?
fish is offline   Reply With Quote