User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
Louis OP
Been off road... on a K12

Oddometer: 170
This summer's long ride to the Rockies

Packed the bike, the gear and the boy and we're off to see the world.
Left Montreal on Tuesday and aimed the big GS to Toronto.
Heavy downpours greeted us as we enterd the city at the end of rush hour and traffic slowed to a crawl as visibility was drastically reduced. Took the shortest route and made it to the safe house in Richmond Hill by 8:30pm.
Rumrunner had steaks the size of my sneakers, baked potatoes, corn on the cob and salad waiting for us and my 11 year old kid tried as hard as he could but was stuffed halfway thru the meal.
As dessert was announced the host kids, 11 year old Sierra and 9 year old Jett finally got what they had been waiting for all evening... their share of the cake!
After a day spent in TO, meeting more new friends, sharing a fantastic meal of dry rubbed ribs, that were nearly better than sex, says Mike, we headed for Detroit the next day and made it without a hitch to Motor's house where we were once again treated to a royal reception. He even prepared for us his homemade famous Chicken lemon rice greek soup.

Time to head for Chicago.

Cheers

Last summer's long ride to the Rockies

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over !!

This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,736
Sounds good. How about some pics ?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
Louis OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet
Sounds good. How about some pics ?
Hade some time to catch up.
This better?
Can't seem to be able to put more than 1 pic...

Chicago was the pits of the pits.
Worse… it was a pit stop!
Planned on getting there for 1:30PM or so. Just in case they had some leftover lunch traffic.
Got there little before two and it took me like $6.50 in tolls and 3 hours and 20 min to get to Hoffman Estates just on the west side of the windy city.
Well it wasn’t windy and it was sweltering hot.
ATGATT and all… Good thing my Camelback had been filled up just prior to hitting Chicago. The kid didn’t complain once. Musta been in awe with the skyscrapers…
Not too many of those tall suckers in St-Georges de Beauce!
Last time I ever ride thru this place in broad daylight. Maybe I’ll consider passing thru at 7:30am on a Sunday morning…
Man I hate traffic…
Finally, I hooked up with Jim, my 75 year old buddy from FL with whom I’ll be drinking scotch and Robert also from Ft. Lauderdale and doing this ride.
We traded horror stories on the clogged city.
All agreed that this place is the above qualifyer…
Next day we went into the IL farmland. Fields and fields of ridiculous ethanol producing corn. Hope they use it for human or animal consumption… Maybe we should triple the price per bushel and compete with opec.
Food for gas… hummm...
What a flippin’ concept!
Stayed at Jim’s cousin in a splendid old farmhouse. Warm reception and home fixins. This is America.
The boy caught a butterfly in the grass. Unfortunately, broke the tail sectin a bit. Couldn't fly away.

Hit the road the next AM with my goal for the day was to make St-Paul MN and hook up with my new friend Robert and his wife Marie. He had given me many suggestions as to which roads to take to get up there and they were great.
I took IL 20 to 78 to Gratiot in WI. Saw this round barn around Stillman Valley. It was a tiled one too. Not too many of those. Pix are below.
Then headed north on 23 all the way to Mineral Point.
Took a few CR, I remember CR-G as being pretty memorable. Smoked a few Harleys in a leftie as they kept braking in the middle of the previous curves… They had tested my patience. And I am a patient man. Remember, I got six kids! 5 of them boys!!!
Can’t believe how many HD’s have apehangers there…
Must be the heat!
BWAHAHAhahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
When I got to Spring Green, I took 14 to scenic 60 which follows the Wisconsin river to Wauzeka the CR-N to Eastman. Nice backroads there.
Anywhose, followed the Great River Rd on 35 in WI, crossed over the bridge after LaCrosse and hit the MN side of the Mississippi on 14 till Winona. Great views of huge bluffs all along but must be going North as the river is on your right and it’s a four laner.
Back in WI followed #35 Great River Rd again, all the way to St. Paul, and again the scenery was stunning.
Had a chance to tour the city with my guides. Pretty impressive…

Will need to come back and dig in to this more.

Cheers
Attached Images

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over !!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #4
Louis OP

Try more pix...
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
Louis OP

And again...
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Louis OP

Last one...
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Louis OP

St Paul to mid SD was ordinary to say the least.
Speed limit is good though in SD, 75mph.
Saw a huge windmill farm just before Pipestone MN, musta been 500-600 of'em. Tried counting them outta boredom, route was straight alright, but there were just too many.
Once I past the Missouri river in Oacoma, the scenery became livelier. Rolling hills all over. Sun was going down so the contrasts were impressive.
The last section was a bit hairy as I thought there would be gas at the exit before heading down rte 47 towards Winner SD. The warning lamp turned on and there was 46 miles to destination. GPS showed nuthin' in between...
Didn't feel like turning back so pushed on. Nobody was travelling that road and only very few farms dotted the horison...
Finally made it and put in 5.27 gallons in the tank!
Isn't the capacity 5.1 ??

Sorry no pix today.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
Louis OP

Keep going West.
Found some great roads. Tops had to be 34 in ID.
Historicly significant also.
Another one was Fairview canyon to Huntingdon UT. Rte 31.

Some pix
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
Louis OP

More pix
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
Louis OP

Spent a week in Utah.
Awesome state.
Such stricking scenery.
So many contrasts.
Stopped by one if my buds in Mt. Pleasant. Promptly dropped off the kid there since Paul had one of the same age. They got along famously. It forced him to work on his english as he can always get the translation from me when I'm around!
But he hasn't been complaining. Abouy anything...
We have put in many 8 and 9 hour riding days without a peep.
So I left with Jim and Robert to explore southwestern Utah and then down to Escalante as we were trying to meet up with Ara. Had I known that his base camp was a camper, I woudda made plans for him to cook us some food as the stuff we had in Escalante for supper was pretty ordinary to say the least...
And I've had Ara's cooking before (at Gareth's in Naples FL) and it is worth travelling great distances!
Anywhose, we had a good time at supper as Ara was entertained by my to old riding buddies. They do poke at each other quire a bit but hey, when your nearing your 76th birthday you might just be set in your own ways.
Hell I would... uh... I am !
But as I keep reminding them, wait till you're my age then you'll see how tough it really is!
Back to yhe ride, 12 is an awesome road. The burr trail in Boulder even better! Not only the scenery is spectacular but the curves just keep comin' !
Fairview canyon road to Huntingdon and Mt Nebo loop, both just south of Provo off 89, were highly entertaining! I did both many times over a few peg scraping days.
Funny the diff between the K12 and the GS.
The K just sorta rails the corners...
As for the GS, it seems to dive into the corners!
The kid is having a great time, litterally yelling Youhoooooooooo! as we drag'em thru the turns. But I am being careful not to go to far as the flippin' crash bars are sometimes draggin' also... Can't lever the bike that way, just might run outta room....
The Tourances are doing a fantastic job at keeping us glued to the tarmac and have also done a pretty decent job on the desolate mountain dirt roads we have taken to bridge the gap when time was a factor.
First time I went two up thru a wash with all the mud hidden from view by the rushing water, I must admit I did have one of those famous ''pucker'' moments ! Couple of fishtails later and we were safely on the other side.
Mind you, I woudda rathered having one or two other bikes with me on some of these crossings but the old guys don't do dirt... Still it's quite the thrill doing all this in the middle of nowhere, not seeing anything alive as far as we can see for what seems like an eternity when in fact it's only a few hours at a time.
Before you ask...
Tried to convince the boy to take off his boots and roll up his pants to cross it as best he could but to no avail... This was going to be a big honkin' deal !
And it was!
Shoudda taken his picture afterward. His smile was as big as the desert around us.
Going next to Colorado.

Here are some pix
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2008, 08:39 AM   #11
Louis OP

More pix
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #12
Louis OP

I gotta learn how to put multiple pix...
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Great report

For the pix, host them somewhere else then past the BB code links into the box where you type (bb code for pix will be automatically generated by any decent picture hosting site and willl look like [img ]www.yoursite./yourpic/jpg[ /img] only without any spaces (had I left the spaces out you'd have seen a red x).

www.photobucket.com is really easy to use and free
www.smugmug.com is a bit more fancy and not so free
www.picasaweb.google.com works really well if you like to use the picasa2 application, but you've gotta use a 3rd party site for automatically generated bbcode. I use picasa2html.com for that.
www.postwhore.biz is free and allows virtually unlimited file sizes. It also automaticaly creates "click fo biguns" which is pretty cool.

There are lots of others as well:)

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:52 AM   #14
Louis OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Great report

For the pix, host them somewhere else then past the BB code links into the box where you type

There are lots of others as well:)
Not sure I wanna post them for anybody.
Here is good, my folks, my type.

Will see...

Thanx

Working on my ride from UT to Denver.
Might be of interest.

Cheers

Old 08-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #15
Louis OP

Man whatta day.
Chose rte #65 to Mesa NF. Canyon carving at it’s best. Passed a tricolor K12S on the outside of a rightie, thought he’d bite, he did, left him panting for breath after half a dozen turns. Thought he’d catch up in Mesa and that we’d talk about the site but he never showed up.
Didn’t see him again.
No fun there…
Always said there ain’t but a small bunch of riders that can master that steed.
Was smooth sailing till I caught up with a LER in the NF. Had to slow down considerably. Well… a lot!
Followed him, cringing, for 20 gorgeous miles filled with twisties and hairpins or so and he finally caught my drift and turned around. Got back in my groove till I came to a lookout. Had to stop a take a pic or more.
Two Harleys from Illinois are parked there. One of the jerks, mid 40’s, his head clean shaven, all dressed in black icon denim and black titanium icon top walks up to me and asks if I got any hotdogs in them.
-In them what???
Says they look like hotdog boxes…
I tell’em the’re big honkin’ coolers and that if he was to be polite he might just have some of whatsa coolin’ in there but on the other hand if he were some real badass instead of some slick used car salesman or an orthodontist, he wouldn’t need to. Second thought didn’t look intelligent enough to be a dentist… Prolly was a bonehead life insurance salesman…

Also told him that iffin he had the vaguest as to what a curve was, he wouldn’t be tryin’ to impress other bikers with that shit he rode and wore. The arrogant bastard became more polite and asked what Hepco Becker was and told him it was the Canadian equivalent to Oscar Meyer…
Fawkin’ posers… Don’t even know what they ride for.

Then later back down the mountain as I’m weaving my way outta Cedaredge, cop pulls me over.
Damn… Those ultrathin light racks are getting harder to spot… Especially on an older truck…
Comes outta the car, his overly tattooed arm pointing to the hand crisped on the grip of his piece. The other hand on his mic as he spells out my plates.
They know how to read ???
He says outright that I wasn’t speeding but my weaving had disturbed the other drivers who, unfortunately, had to move over to let me back in…
-Iffin I had been speeding, which I wasn’t, that wouldn’t have happened… Right boss?
Uh…
Caught him really off guard there
-They were really going slow.
Yes, they were but…
-And I didn’t really cut them off, did I?
But they did go to the side of the road.
-Had lots of room though…
Well you are advantaged by the size of the bike, it is more nimble… They’re just not used to that….
-So, officer, am I in trouble here?
No, no… just wanted to tell you to be wary of the others.
-Thank you sir, appreciate the advice.
Drive carefully.
-Bye Bye

Yeah, right !!!

Hopped on rte 133 north after 92 which isn’t worth a mention and proved to be pretty scenic and amusing.Passed the trap and RJ parking in Aspen, finally hit more mountain roads and Independence pass. This was interesting…
While going up to the 11 or 12,000 ft. Independence Pass, the road ain't wide, hell it's narrow... Sign said loose gravel on road, no biggie, so keep going at same pace and end up in a 15 miler lefty and come to realise that there's a hell of a lot more loose gravel than pavement...
Bike starts a two wheel drift and Armco is coming up fast...
Other side of the guard rail is down... a long way down...
At one point, I'm thinking of raising my right leg so that it doesn't get caught in the damn thing before I go overboard.
Not really overjoyed with that idea…
Finally tyres catch on what little pavement there was with not much to spare and come out of with just a very tight ass#*%.
Had I been riding dirt, wouldn’t have even had this moment as I woudda been prepped for it… Still it was different as it was more like ball bearings than anything else.
Thinking back at all my times slippin' and slidin' in the stuff, don't think I woudda been so level headed (very strong term... ) in that situation or others (less freaky) that I have encountered.
Mind you an upcoming truck in a rightie is just as effin scary...
Over to 91 north towards Copper Mtn was definitely an enjoyable route. Not to much traffic made for an efficient run.
Less efficient is I-70 to Denver with tons and tons of cars. Real bottleneck.
Worse is getting outta Denver as it was packed for miles.
100,000 ft rally next!

Cheers
Attached Images