Dude, that is soooo cool!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2011 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #77
Hektoglider OP
Expedition Style ADV

Oddometer: 2,465
I ride back to the Sandspit ferry and catch a ride back to Graham Island.The big ferry back to the mainland leaves at 11:00 pm so I have time before it leaves to ride a bit.

I ride up 16 again and stop at Balance Rock.

I go up to the Jungle Beach tower for a bit,then decide to take a break from eating campstove food and hit a nice place in town and have Salmon and Halibut.

Moss on Car

I figure I may as well eat a big supper, I plan on sleeping on the overnight boat ride which will arrive in Prince Rupert at 7:ooam.

THe Charlottes has been an incredible place, no fastfood chain places, no big city stuff, just cool island laid back exploring....mucho bueno!
next: the mainland BC and cruisin cheap on the KLR!

Hektoglider screwed with this post 07-16-2008 at 11:03 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:25 AM   #78
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,518
really enjoying your report - great photos

thanks

Mark
Old 07-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #79
mtndragon
Traveler

Oddometer: 295
Thank you for this report. Amazing travels done with true KLR style and integrity-
Dave
mtndragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #80
SgtMarty
Retired, baby!

Oddometer: 1,540
Very nice, Kari.

More places for me to look for the next time I'm up there.

COHVCO #6391 AMA #2800236
SgtMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #81
jeckyll
Kneedragger

Oddometer: 587
Great stuff, it's now at the point where I check in every day to catch the updates! :)

Edit: Big difference between "now" and "not". Spelin counz!

jeckyll screwed with this post 07-17-2008 at 10:15 PM
jeckyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #82
Advdave
Toolbox Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
QCI good move

Kari,

Glad to see you kept with the QC plan...what a place and of course, you land on your feet, find the best free camping, accomodations and fishing/clamming....it just shows that adventure happens when you open up a few paths and see what comes next.

No flea markets or fried bread sales in Queen Charlotte City? I'll bet you found a few bargains there, still.

Enjoying the report...ride on...

Sander is probably in Dease Lake today, headed south.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #83
detour3
n00b

Oddometer: 2
You Are With Out A Doubt My New Hero! Incredible Travel Story From Someone With Incredible Balls.keep It Coming.
detour3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #84
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,054
Very awesome ride report amigo.

Graham Island looks like a place I could go chill!!!!

Keep it up. I can't wait for more!... and i'm usually not a fan of RR's from north of the northern border!
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #85
Hektoglider OP
Expedition Style ADV

Read all about it.

I sleep poorly on the boat ride but get some rest .At 700 am I am rolling east out of Prince Rupert in the rain and just keep on riding. I stop in Terrace at the Kawa shop and it pours hard, while I get some oil and a filter. Further up the road its not raining and I do an oil change at a highway rest area, using my 1 gallon jug that was my water jug. At this time I spot 3 missing rollers on my chain and decide to do the sprockets and chain at the next good opportunity. I heard and felt it for quite some time, but ignored it til now. I need a grinder and an impact wrench to do it. I ride some more and loop through a side road into the very small towns near Hazelton and Two Mile, and that’s where I spot a small engine repair shop with the big door open. I do a U-turn and pull in. The mechanic is in a wheel chair and all the workbenches are low and so is his toolbox. I tell him I want to work on my bike and need just a few tools. I swap out both sprockets and then go to install the chain that I had been carrying with me and find out the master link will not fit. I end up putting the old chain back on and riding into Smithers and the guy in the wheelchair told me what shop to go to but I forgot by the time I arrived. I saw all the Harleys and pulled in. I asked the guy at the counter is this the only bike shop in town? He says yea, we are the only place. Ok I hafta correct this chain situation right here. I had a 520 chain, but when I first opened the box I knew it was too wide. The guy at the counter had no 520 chain but gave me a section of chain the same as the wide stuff I had. Great, I can make a link and be on my way. I remove the chain again, and check the clearance at the countershaft with the short piece he gave me. It will rub the motor, this chain is unusable on this KLR, they have no 520 at the only bike shop in town….

I must get resourceful now, so I ask the HD mechanics if they know anybody in town who is racing dirt bikes or anybody else who may have a 520 chain around. The mechanic was real straight forward and good. He told me I may source one at Canadian Tire store or go down the road to Eye Candy Customs, or the shop next to them. I was stunned.WTF? So the guy who owns the place told me we are the only shop in town. He figured maybe that would get me to spend $300 on chrome do-dads to glue onto my KLR at the shop rate of XX$ per hour. What a knob head! Not a motorcycle person whatsoever. I re-installed the crapped out chain once again. I could tell the guy didn’t even want me on the property, as he told me yea we try and help everybody out. For some reason the door to the washroom was mysteriously locked up so I couldn’t even wash my hands. It was getting close to closing time for many businesses so I got going down to the end of town and walked into Eye Candy and it’s a small shop. Perfect. I see chain and tell the guy about my experience up the road with the only shop in town. I make a deal that involves him getting my wide chain and me getting a D.I.D. O-Ring 520 at a reduced price. I roll my bike in through the front door and am working on it myself in his shop, this is the way real bike shops treat someone who is traveling and needs to do something. The place is geared towards the V-Twin scene but he carries tires to fit the KLR and Gold Wings etc. As soon as I got to it I realized that this was the place that the wheelchair mechanic guy was trying to send me to. ”The only shop in town” as I see it.
So today I got the oil change done and the chain and sprockets done, hardly no sleep the night before and there was maybe 2 hours of daylight left. I ride on and am threatened by a nasty storm cloud. I keep rolling down the Yellowhead east and am still not sure of where I will camp out.
Suddenly I go past a motel. Its obviously abandoned and the weeds are growing high. Maybe I can camp behind it. I pull around back and then ride around front, parking behind a bush. Maybe I can “check in”? I walk into one of the rooms and shut the door. It has been ransacked, the porcelain is busted, but the bed sure looks good and the clouds outside look bad. I roll the KLR inside and fire up my camp stove. I relax and listen to my radio, trying for a forecast. I felt kinda worn out from the ferry ride and all the crap dealing with the chain. The only motel room so far………..

Next morning "checking out"

Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #86
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,697
awesome camping.! never mind behind the old building if you can sleep inside...
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #87
Hektoglider OP
Expedition Style ADV

Hittin a backroad

I could see on the map that I could avoid Prince George and take a shortcut from Vanderhoof to Quesnel on the Blackwater.I stop in at a tourist info place and they have the Backroads Mapbook there to look at. I saw the route and found out that there is some good stops along the way. I usually shower every day but the last 2 nights had me unable to do so. I could see the lakes on the map and planned to stop for a good break at one of them, where I had a nice swim. I pulled the stove out for tea and whatever else for lunch. The swim really fixed me up.

Wonder whats in here for fish. I can see them surfacing. I nail one and it puts up a decent fight, I dunno what it even is.

I get back on the bike feeling much better. I know that if you eat good, sleep well, and can get yourself cleaned up....those 3 things are the key. If one of them gets out of whack, you can no longer enjoy the journey. Did I say I feel much better? and this backroad is great. No traffic really and nice riding. Perfect road for this bike.

I stopped in Quesnel for a bit then ended up finding a great camping spot in behind Lac la Hache at Helena lake.The mosquitos were bad. Next day I kept rolling south, stopping to look at Chasm near 70 mile House.

I had some good stuff coming up and was looking forward to it.I kinda skimmed through this whole area without taking a bunch of photos.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #88
Hektoglider OP
Expedition Style ADV

Just south of there I stopped at a fruit stand and grabbed some fresh cherries. I talk to the guy and he said business was slow for a while because the road was closed for a while due to an RV crash that started a big fire.I talked some more and he started giving me tomatos and the stuff that was bruised and he did not sell. I asked him about the backroad...

from Clinton to Pavillion over a cool dirt road....Downing PP

into the nice weather again...

A great bit of dirt along the way down to Lilloet. I stopped at the Library for some web-time and then attempted to fill my waterjugs there.All I could get was hot water, not cold. I went back to the bike and grabbed my solar shower and filled it up, not having to wait for the sun to heat it up. I left town and found a back road and hung it in a tree and had a quick shower.I climbed up the back road a bit and then returned to the highway.

This is great, no time frame just puttin along. I don't care how far I go today.Or tommorrow.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #89
Hektoglider OP
Expedition Style ADV

Great riding

I take 12 down to Lyton then decide if I should go to Boston Bar and try the ride over to Merrit from there.I have no clue what that would be like on a loaded bike, so instead opt to go up to Spences Bridge and then 8 down to Merrit. Cabin along hwy 8

I get to Merrit and quiz some one at a bike shop about the KVR and hows the best way to get onto it. I can see the rail on my gps but don't know where to begin. I ride Summerland road for a while which follows Coldwater Creek and parallels #5.

Great riding! I get on the rail near Brookmere and go the wrong way and follow some old pipeline ATV trails. I get discouraged a bit and then use the gps to navigate my way and see the loop corner of the rail line. It doubles back! I ride some dead ends(washouts) then decide to follow the ATV tracks up some gnarly hill and over a few rough spots and finally get on the good ride-able part of the Kettle Valley Railway. I shoulda looked at the GPS more.......
Pipeline wrong way...

The KVR

So I am finally on it and the ATV's have it chewed , I can't go much faster than 40 km per hour for. This pic doesnt show it well, but it had a whoop de doo all the way here and the loaded KLR had to keep the speeds down. It was well marked to who is allowed on it. (picture of motorbike with red line)
I continued onwards.......bicycles and ATV's ? hmm
Old 07-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #90
mesaliving
Making it happen

Oddometer: 311
I'm all in!! Great trip