ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #5176
JBXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I am good for any day too

Work is not so crazy now. Lets get together.

— Hunter S. Thompson
JBXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #5177
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,429
Some have suggested Malibu_Wifey and I make an appearance at a fare-thee-well dinner ride, as we are moving to the Middle Tennessee area after next week. Okay. I'll call it then...

Tuesday, Oct 8th - Cheffie's Cafe 6:15pm (someplace different than our usual grub)
http://www.cheffies.com/index.cfm

It's kinda in the middle and yet out of the way.

Awww, are you feeling sad? Hey, we're only three hours away--but may i point out three hours closer to the best riding in the South (over in east TN in the Smokies you ninny). I might also point out that while shopping for a house to rent yesterday I found that the roads have lots of road signs with bent arrows! I'm not sure exactly what they mean, but I'm thinking maybe my next set of tires won't have a big flat spot in the middle of the tread. And no, Josh, taking on-ramps at double the posted speed in Memphis does not qualify as twisties.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #5178
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu_dan View Post
Some have suggested Malibu_Wifey and I make an appearance at a fare-thee-well dinner ride, as we are moving to the Middle Tennessee area after next week. Okay. I'll call it then...

Tuesday, Oct 8th - Cheffie's Cafe 6:15pm (someplace different than our usual grub)

Awww, are you feeling sad? Hey, we're only three hours away--but may i point out three hours closer to the best riding in the South (over in east TN in the Smokies you ninny). I might also point out that while shopping for a house to rent yesterday I found that the roads have lots of road signs with bent arrows! I'm not sure exactly what they mean, but I'm thinking maybe my next set of tires won't have a big flat spot in the middle of the tread. And no, Josh, taking on-ramps at double the posted speed in Memphis does not qualify as twisties.
sorry i'm gonna miss it, i'm outta town till the 18th
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #5179
hencini
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Putting it on the calendar. :
1983 R65LS No intention of modding it, don't know how to maintain it
hencini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #5180
JBXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I'm there

Quote:
Originally Posted by hencini View Post
Putting it on the calendar. :
See ya'll there.

— Hunter S. Thompson
JBXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #5181
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
curious out-of-towner

Wondering what the riding is like in the "Memphis area"??

I've only been there on short trips to visit my parents who moved there later in life (and are now long deceased) and more recently to visit my father's grave in the veterans' cemetery there. All I saw was relatively flat country, interstates and arterials that ran straight from traffic light to traffic light. That and I always drive past that strip club with the horse statues on the roof.

You guys probably have better stuff you go ride on?
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #5182
ZGirl
Girly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:

Dang, that is fast! You just told me last weekend.....

We'll be there.
ZGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #5183
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post

I've only been there on short trips to visit my parents who moved there later in life (and are now long deceased) and more recently to visit my father's grave in the veterans' cemetery there. All I saw was relatively flat country, interstates and arterials that ran straight from traffic light to traffic light. That and I always drive past that strip club with the horse statues on the roof.

Not much for twisties around these parts. Flat is right. Not Florida flat, but very nearly so.

There are a handful of sweepers and minor twisties north of the city along the Mississippi River, and a few short curvy sections to the east and in northern Mississippi.

Road conditions are generally pretty good and there are quite a few interesting country roads to be found, but again, none too curvy. In northern Mississippi there are some cool gravel forest roads.

What we do have is fairly close proximity to some great riding. A few hours from northwest Arkansas and half a day from East Tennessee. Both regions contain some of the best roads in the nation.

And food. Memphis is known for good regional food.

You can generally ride year round here. Winters are pretty mild. Highs during December and January will often go into the 40s and 50s.

Summers are brutal, though this past summer wasn't too bad. Hot and dripping with humidity.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #5184
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Good breakfast in/near Bartlett ?

Good morning all!

Any recommendations for a good breakfast place in or near Bartlett? Thinking something small, locally owned....

Any ideas?
dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #5185
stinkfinger
Chickenfat dirtbiker

Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post

20 mi SE of Memphis is Holly Springs Nat Forest. Its about a 300 SQ mi area
with decent riding (for a flat delta area) and, as Jamie said, youre a few hours away from NW Ar or Mid Tn

Tony
stinkfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #5186
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillr View Post
Good morning all!

Any recommendations for a good breakfast place in or near Bartlett? Thinking something small, locally owned....

Any ideas?
The two places you hear talked about for breakfast in Memphis are Brother Junipers (near campus) and the Pancake Shop (closer to Bartlett). I've had Brother's, never tried the Pancake Shop.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #5187
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
The two places you hear talked about for breakfast in Memphis are Brother Junipers (near campus) and the Pancake Shop (closer to Bartlett). I've had Brother's, never tried the Pancake Shop.
Mmm... Pancakes...

Thanks!
dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #5188
TigerFire
Klr guy

Oddometer: 3
The pancake shop is the fire!!!! Summer ave area is kinda rough, but hey, strength in numbers eh?
Old 10-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #5189
ZGirl
Girly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFire View Post
The pancake shop is the fire!!!! Summer ave area is kinda rough, but hey, strength in numbers eh?

It's very eclectic.

The service is friendly, the food is good and it has a LOT of atmosphere.

Had breakfast there a couple of weeks ago....

Yum!

ZGirl screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 01:02 PM
ZGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #5190
JustinT
I will ride my whole life

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillr View Post
Good morning all!

Any ideas?
Bryants Breakfast...But not in bartlett...just west on summer another 2 miles. from the pancake house. only open Mon-Sat 5:30am-1:30pm