ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2014, 11:02 PM   #5491
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,902
I can't do Monday or Tuesday. I
I'm out this weekend too. Gotta work.

Might could do the following infamy or Tuesday Jamie.

Sent using smoke signals

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:43 PM   #5492
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
New/Returning Rider here

Hey guys and gals, I am currently in Lawrenceburg Ky, and have decided to move back to the Memphis area in the next couple years.

I am from the big town of Bolivar, spent my first 37 years there. Back in 2009 I decided to seek greener pastures, thus the move to Kentucky. Although there is some awesome riding in this area, well, it ain't home.

I am looking at the Collierville area to reside in until my children are out of school. They are seven, six, and four at the time. A good public school system has to take priority.

I would be able to transfer with the job I currently have, and my wife is going to school for nursing, thus the time delay on moving back.

What are some of the better school systems in the general area that I can check out? I don't mind a long commute, I don't have to be a few blocks from work. From my place in Bolivar to Memphis was 65 miles, and I have considered places that are further out than that. I am open to Mississippi, and even crossing the river to Arkansas.

Thanks for any input you might have.
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #5493
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconstructed View Post
Hey guys and gals, I am currently in Lawrenceburg Ky, and have decided to move back to the Memphis area in the next couple years.

I am from the big town of Bolivar, spent my first 37 years there. Back in 2009 I decided to seek greener pastures, thus the move to Kentucky. Although there is some awesome riding in this area, well, it ain't home.

I am looking at the Collierville area to reside in until my children are out of school. They are seven, six, and four at the time. A good public school system has to take priority.

I would be able to transfer with the job I currently have, and my wife is going to school for nursing, thus the time delay on moving back.

What are some of the better school systems in the general area that I can check out? I don't mind a long commute, I don't have to be a few blocks from work. From my place in Bolivar to Memphis was 65 miles, and I have considered places that are further out than that. I am open to Mississippi, and even crossing the river to Arkansas.

Thanks for any input you might have.
this is really a conversation to have in real life but I'll give it a quick shot. Memphis City Schools have been dissolved and are now part of Shelby County Schools. Bartlett, Germantown, and Collierville are all forming their own school systems. Who knows what that will bring.

Personally, I don't think the overall quality of a system means very much. What matters is individual schools - the principal and the teachers but also the kids. If the parent(s) don't really care, their is nothing that can be done no matter how good the system/school is because it will go down.

My kids are in what was Memphis City Schools - Snowden, White Station Middle, and now White Station High School. By every measure, WSMS is one of the best in the state and maybe even the country. They routinely beat all the private schools in every type of math and science competition. Same for the bands actually. I coach enough Germantown kids to know my kid is in at least as good a school as they are, probably better. WSHS seems to be pretty good but the difficulty level for my freshman son was nothing compared to the middle school. We'll see about 10th grade.

Buy a house in East Memphis in a neighborhood zoned for Richland Elementary and you'll be more than set. Your kids will be able to walk to school in a neighborhood with sidewalks and big trees and you won't have to go out to eat at chain crap like Chilis and Applebees (a la Collierville).

After 15 years here, I'm ready to leave. I'd move to Bardstown or Elizabethtown tomorrow if I could.

Oh yeah, you can never go home. Keep that in mind before you pull the trigger.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #5494
JBXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Anyone going to Barber Motorsports Park to see the AMA Super Bike races this weekend? I am riding there tomorrow afternoon and will be camping. If you have never been it is worth the trip just to see the motorcycle museum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ó Hunter S. Thompson
JBXC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #5495
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
First I've heard of it.... Wish I'd known sooner. Been planning to get to a few races this year.

Get some pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBXC View Post
Anyone going to Barber Motorsports Park to see the AMA Super Bike races this weekend? I am riding there tomorrow afternoon and will be camping. If you have never been it is worth the trip just to see the motorcycle museum

dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #5496
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I had planned to earlier in the year but I have to work tomorrow night and Saturday night.

I would love to head down there to see the museum though.

Sent using smoke signals

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Old 06-19-2014, 10:37 PM   #5497
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC950 View Post
this is really a conversation to have in real life but I'll give it a quick shot. Memphis City Schools have been dissolved and are now part of Shelby County Schools. Bartlett, Germantown, and Collierville are all forming their own school systems. Who knows what that will bring.

Personally, I don't think the overall quality of a system means very much. What matters is individual schools - the principal and the teachers but also the kids. If the parent(s) don't really care, their is nothing that can be done no matter how good the system/school is because it will go down.

My kids are in what was Memphis City Schools - Snowden, White Station Middle, and now White Station High School. By every measure, WSMS is one of the best in the state and maybe even the country. They routinely beat all the private schools in every type of math and science competition. Same for the bands actually. I coach enough Germantown kids to know my kid is in at least as good a school as they are, probably better. WSHS seems to be pretty good but the difficulty level for my freshman son was nothing compared to the middle school. We'll see about 10th grade.

Buy a house in East Memphis in a neighborhood zoned for Richland Elementary and you'll be more than set. Your kids will be able to walk to school in a neighborhood with sidewalks and big trees and you won't have to go out to eat at chain crap like Chilis and Applebees (a la Collierville).

After 15 years here, I'm ready to leave. I'd move to Bardstown or Elizabethtown tomorrow if I could.

Oh yeah, you can never go home. Keep that in mind before you pull the trigger.

Thanks for the response. I agree that it is the individual school that makes the difference.

I have spent enough time in Memphis to know the areas to avoid, and when I left for Kentucky, I had no intention of returning. Now that we are returning, I, of course, want to do the best I can for my children. I will look into the areas you mentioned.

Thanks again.

Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #5498
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 894
Quote:

I'm thinking of driving down for a few hours on Saturday to check it out. I'll send ya a message if I end up going.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #5499
Dukerdr
New old guy

Oddometer: 136
Clear your calendar for the second weekend in October. Vintage weekend at Barber. Best time to visit there.

On a side note, The John Penton Story will be shown in Cordova if enough tickets are sold in advance.

https://gathr.us/screening/8205

Not enough were sold in Nashville, so they won't get a screening. Let's not let it slip through our fingers in Memphis.

"The first Penton motorcycles developed by John and built by a small bicycle and moped factory in Mattighofen Austria named KTM arrived in 1968. For the next ten years the Penton motorcycles along with Johnís family and loyal followers battled the competition, the motorcycle industry, a global economy and even more family tragedy to become a world-wide motorcycle racing dynasty.

Since Johnís first visit to Austria and KTM in 1967 and those first 10 Pentonís delivered to Amherst, Ohio in 1968, KTM Sportmotorcycle AG has become the largest producer of off-road motorcycles in the world.
This film features the largest cast of motorcycle legends ever assembled with over 100 interviews. "

Old 06-20-2014, 10:10 PM   #5500
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukerdr View Post
Clear your calendar for the second weekend in October. Vintage weekend at Barber. Best time to visit there.

On a side note, The John Penton Story will be shown in Cordova if enough tickets are sold in advance.

https://gathr.us/screening/8205

Not enough were sold in Nashville, so they won't get a screening. Let's not let it slip through our fingers in Memphis.

"The first Penton motorcycles developed by John and built by a small bicycle and moped factory in Mattighofen Austria named KTM arrived in 1968. For the next ten years the Penton motorcycles along with Johnís family and loyal followers battled the competition, the motorcycle industry, a global economy and even more family tragedy to become a world-wide motorcycle racing dynasty.

Since Johnís first visit to Austria and KTM in 1967 and those first 10 Pentonís delivered to Amherst, Ohio in 1968, KTM Sportmotorcycle AG has become the largest producer of off-road motorcycles in the world.

This film features the largest cast of motorcycle legends ever assembled with over 100 interviews. "

That is awesome! I will be buying a ticket and of course riding my KTM to watch it!!!!

Sent using smoke signals

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Old 06-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #5501
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Got my ticket reserved!!

Come on guys only 19 more folks and we can actually get it here!!

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Old 06-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #5502
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,346
I'm back in town this week, any plans for dinner?
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #5503
JBXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
I'm back in town this week, any plans for dinner?

I am up for whatever.

ó Hunter S. Thompson
JBXC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #5504
JustinT
I will ride my whole life

Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconstructed View Post
Thanks for the response. I agree that it is the individual school that makes the difference.

I have spent enough time in Memphis to know the areas to avoid, and when I left for Kentucky, I had no intention of returning. Now that we are returning, I, of course, want to do the best I can for my children. I will look into the areas you mentioned.

Thanks again.

If you lived in Memphis before you left you know how it was and the city counsel, politicians, taxes, crime, etc have only gotten worse. In any suburb you can find home values at the same price/sq ft with half the city taxes and better resale value. do your research. only be in Memphis city limits if you HAVE to... I've only been here 36 years and worked in every area from the river to Collierville.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #5505
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,346
Opposed to some here, we enjoy living in midtown. We go downtown a lot to shows, we are home in 10 minutes of walking out of the Orpheum or fed ex forum. We have at least 10 good, non - chain restaurants within 1.5 miles of the house. The only time that we have to deal with the cluster fuck of suburbian shopping center parking and endless stoplights is when we go to target for the 36 count toilet paper bundles or on our yearly trip to the mall for Christmas presents.

Figure out what sort of neighborhood you want your kids to grow up in then look for a good school.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote