Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #181
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit
I was just wondering what eveyone has done for mods and any instructions to do them would be appreciated. It's my understanding that the airbox on the 750's need attention as does the exhaust. Mine is pretty close to stock mechanically, but has a custom pipe and the can from a DRZ 400 and although extremely quiet, it's running very rich and doesn't seem as powerful as it should. I have a hard time pulling more than 145 km/h and is seems sluggish after 120. Do I need to completely remove the airbox and go with k&n's and a rejet and if so what size jets? Or is there some airbox mods or a different box that will work? I will remake the spark arrestor from the DRZ can so I can get more flow out of it.

Thanks

JR
I know from personal experience with DR800 SR43 that 400cc, 500 cc and even 650 cc bike race can is WAY to small for DR800.
I am running exhaust from Benelli Tornado Tre 1130 cc triple. And that is just about right. 800 is a single, so rules of game change a lot when it comes to exhaust. It must be massive volume to work and silence anything without choking that motor.
I am running stock airfilter with cut out top, that Benelli silencer, 132.5 jets and fuelling is perfect. And fully agree with 800rider about how it pulls till where. Get rid of that exhaust from DRZ, get some different size jets (+5, +10) and re-setup it all and will work perfectly
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #182
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310
how rude of me not to intrduce myself on my first post.
i'm Deano from NZ, currently riding a DRBIG750 and a DR500.
[IMG]file:///D:/Image018.jpg[/IMG]

will load some photos when i sort this farkin pc out
[ATTACH]
194488[/ATTACH]
Attached Images

Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:24 AM   #183
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Just back from Intermot 2008.
Did I find competitor for DR800 (in my personal market :)) - no. Totally and completely no.
I know it may cause disagreement, but...
Tenere - same weight, less power, better looks and marginally better suspension, but less comfort 2-up.
KTM690 - where do I start...Enduro is to fragile and needs loads of money to protect it from all, no 2 up riding (worse than sportbike), no really decent long distance luggage and no at all if 2 up, small tank, need lights upgrade. Positive - 45 kg lighter than DR800 and thousand times better suspension. But my key needs missed.
Sherco 5.1 - total cracker, totally non-long distance
BMW 800 - for that price I want 20 kg less weight and 50% less fragile exposed components. Suspension - check, engine-check, comfort - not check, actually worse than Tenere, DR and even softie Transalp. Seat needs doing.
It is not like I did not see those bikes before, I even had test ride on GS800 and saw Tenere in action and rode Sherco in parking lot, but it was first time I can look at every little piece without being rushed. Nice.

So, I thin I just get myself second DR to convert to solo adventure by cutting off all not needed and lightening it to 170 kg.

Summary - DR rocks.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #184
arrowrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Just got back from a ride up into Skippers Canyon and took the camera so here's a picture of My DR Big.
Attached Images

arrowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #185
arrowrider
Adventurer

And another Pic .
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #186
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 842
Arrowrider you lucky bugger, that ones on my must do list, hope there wasn't to much traffic.
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #187
arrowrider
Adventurer

When your next down this way you'll have to let me know and i'll show you around . I live 2 mins from the start of the Macetown road and about 10 mins from the Skippers road and then to finish it off 35 mins from the Nevis road so its not the best place to live.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:39 PM   #188
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Just back from Intermot 2008.
Did I find competitor for DR800 (in my personal market :)) - no. Totally and completely no.
I know it may cause disagreement, but...
Tenere - same weight, less power, better looks and marginally better suspension, but less comfort 2-up.
KTM690 - where do I start...Enduro is to fragile and needs loads of money to protect it from all, no 2 up riding (worse than sportbike), no really decent long distance luggage and no at all if 2 up, small tank, need lights upgrade. Positive - 45 kg lighter than DR800 and thousand times better suspension. But my key needs missed.
Sherco 5.1 - total cracker, totally non-long distance
BMW 800 - for that price I want 20 kg less weight and 50% less fragile exposed components. Suspension - check, engine-check, comfort - not check, actually worse than Tenere, DR and even softie Transalp. Seat needs doing.
It is not like I did not see those bikes before, I even had test ride on GS800 and saw Tenere in action and rode Sherco in parking lot, but it was first time I can look at every little piece without being rushed. Nice.

So, I thin I just get myself second DR to convert to solo adventure by cutting off all not needed and lightening it to 170 kg.

Summary - DR rocks.
Yep there real bikes, I mean how many Singles have over 700cc, there gonads are big as the name suggests and only a choosen few get to own them.
As I said before my mates CB1300 feels week down low by comparison
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:51 AM   #189
ztaj
jatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowrider
When your next down this way you'll have to let me know and i'll show you around . I live 2 mins from the start of the Macetown road and about 10 mins from the Skippers road and then to finish it off 35 mins from the Nevis road so its not the best place to live.
MMMMMM Nevis/ Carrick town. wouldn't mind heading over Coalpit rd then into the Nevis.

Saw you post and got inspired go and take a photo of my ride. Up Takaka hill,into Canaan downs, then up a side track on Canaan saddle[IMG]

[/IMG]
Old 10-14-2008, 07:25 AM   #190
ppe172
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
North Rider,

There's two on Vancouver craigslist, and have a look at this (Nelson BC):

http://www.mainjet.ca/view.php?id=366
ppe172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #191
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowrider

maybe the kiwi DRBIG's could get to gether for a south island trip next year,
worth a thought.
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:12 AM   #192
Jack Rabbit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
I know from personal experience with DR800 SR43 that 400cc, 500 cc and even 650 cc bike race can is WAY to small for DR800.
I am running exhaust from Benelli Tornado Tre 1130 cc triple. And that is just about right. 800 is a single, so rules of game change a lot when it comes to exhaust. It must be massive volume to work and silence anything without choking that motor.
I am running stock airfilter with cut out top, that Benelli silencer, 132.5 jets and fuelling is perfect. And fully agree with 800rider about how it pulls till where. Get rid of that exhaust from DRZ, get some different size jets (+5, +10) and re-setup it all and will work perfectly

I don't know. From the looks of the stock exhaust photos, a DRZ can with a moddified spark arrestor looks like it has a lot more flow than that tiny little stock unit. I am currently looking at a nice slip on to go on my oversized custom pipe. I am more concerned with the intake side of things now. I have been dreaming of fabbing up a custom airbox with possibly some K&N's or going with an automotive filter of some sort. Going the auto route would most likely make it very easy to access and change with just the seat off or with a bit more homework, maybe only the side panel. Since the weather is getttin colder, I'm going to start tearing into it and see what I can do. As always, I'm very open to suggestions and ideas from all especially if you have already done something like this.

JR
Jack Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #193
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH RIDER
if anyone sees, or has a DR750 for sale in canada please pm me. i am looking to buy one . please be ready to provide pics as i live in a remote area of ontario and will be buying the bike unseen. if any german members can help i would consider importing one from germany.
thanks in advance

north rider

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #194
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit
I don't know. From the looks of the stock exhaust photos, a DRZ can with a moddified spark arrestor looks like it has a lot more flow than that tiny little stock unit. I am currently looking at a nice slip on to go on my oversized custom pipe. I am more concerned with the intake side of things now. I have been dreaming of fabbing up a custom airbox with possibly some K&N's or going with an automotive filter of some sort. Going the auto route would most likely make it very easy to access and change with just the seat off or with a bit more homework, maybe only the side panel. Since the weather is getttin colder, I'm going to start tearing into it and see what I can do. As always, I'm very open to suggestions and ideas from all especially if you have already done something like this.

JR
OK, as for intake: I just cur out top of air filter on my SR43 along "step" on metal top. But KN makes filters for DR800. For DR750 you may adopt TwinAir filter.

I am really really curious about post above where DR owner added velocity stacks to intake. That can be VERY interesting...

From what I know DR in stock VERY restricted on exhaust. Exhaust I am running is 52 mm internal diameter and it is about right - it has part labirynth and part straight construction.
I read here that 2 inch header makes a lot of difference on DR in combination with good flowing pipe. Now with my big exhaust pressure on idle is still enough for exhaust gases to move light tools I am hanging on garage wall :) Imagine how much gas comes out on every exhaust stoke

I think for 800 140 jets + high flow filter + decent header and can will be appr. equal at least 60 bhp at crank. But nobody here can make for me decent 2 inch header at reasonable, not sky-high price and I myself simply do not have material :(
Old 10-16-2008, 12:28 AM   #195
ztaj
jatz

Like you Bluesman I would like to see this velocity stack setup, I'm thinking something like that inside the stock airbox with the top removed might suit me.
Got a muffler coming of a cbr1000, hopefully it'll help a bit, might just have to see about a 2 inch pipe leading to it, standard pipe looks to be about 1.5 inch.