ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 12:15 AM   #2056
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,142
He means to check it often. Every 400-500 km. I second that.
Little theory. Air cooled bikes oil consumtion highly dependant on riding conditions. E.g. if you really cooked your oil by getting bike very hot - it will start to dissapear as by magic, lots and lots. If you ride high speed for extensive period of time - it will take much more oil. If you plough along or even ride agressively (very) but in sub-70 mph - you will see little oil consumtion. Etc. etc. - so that if manual says every 2500 km oil blah-blah - ignore it and check it more often.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:48 AM   #2057
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
Yes please mate, send me the link.

And these headraces - DR ones right?
Correct, you need DR headrace bearings set. Buy a set with lower dust seal/protector, there is plenty of such sets on eBay UK - it really give lot of extra life to bearings.

I guess link to bolts shop can come handy for everyone - here it is:
http://stores.shop.benl.ebay.be/stai...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:51 AM   #2058
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really
 
Ladder106's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 4,805
I don't mean to start a huge oil discussion but I do have a quick question.

I "inherited" almost 2 cases of BMW's full synthetic motorcycle oil.

I've researched it and found BMW recommends it for all their bikes, even the ones with integral gearboxes and wet clutches. It has an MA rating.

I plan on using it in the DR750 tomorrow morning.

Does anyone think I'm making a mistake? To bed now, back in 8 hrs or so.

Thanks in advance.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:53 AM   #2059
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer
 
robmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigS
Hello to you all, just sold my f650 funduro to a friend and bought this one. Very nice bike, but it's taller than my old BMW. I need to lower it a little, so any suggestion would be appreciate.

thank you,

Looks great and it is getting spoilt ,on a tiled floor looks like a late model one beautifull its the last place Iwould look for one thinking that they usually ride the step throughs overthere.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #2060
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer
 
DrBigEd's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Oddometer: 695
OK, will oil change more regularly.

Which brings me to another question: fuel consumption. Seems my BIG is a lot more efficient than either my Hondas were in the same riding conditions. What's your consumption if I may ask - 800 don't have to answer as he rides too hard
__________________
"For long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be"

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:33 AM   #2061
nave
Nave
 
nave's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Israel
Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
He means to check it often. Every 400-500 km. I second that.
Little theory. Air cooled bikes oil consumtion highly dependant on riding conditions. E.g. if you really cooked your oil by getting bike very hot - it will start to dissapear as by magic, lots and lots. If you ride high speed for extensive period of time - it will take much more oil. If you plough along or even ride agressively (very) but in sub-70 mph - you will see little oil consumtion. Etc. etc. - so that if manual says every 2500 km oil blah-blah - ignore it and check it more often.
You explain much better then me!
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:53 AM   #2062
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBigEd
OK, will oil change more regularly.

Which brings me to another question: fuel consumption. Seems my BIG is a lot more efficient than either my Hondas were in the same riding conditions. What's your consumption if I may ask - 800 don't have to answer as he rides too hard
Depending on riding, but in my trip with my wife to Norway (which is good example of mixed riding because of large distance and different conditions), so with passenger and luggage I averaged 6 liters per 100.
Riding solo one day of very mixed riding I achieved 5.6 liters per 100.
I think riding solo in relaxed mode my DR takes about 4.7-5 liters per 100. Relaxed also means no highway speeds (130+ kmph).
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:00 AM   #2063
nave
Nave
 
nave's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Israel
Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBigEd
OK, will oil change more regularly.

Which brings me to another question: fuel consumption. Seems my BIG is a lot more efficient than either my Hondas were in the same riding conditions. What's your consumption if I may ask - 800 don't have to answer as he rides too hard
you don't need to change the oil more regularly, just check the level.
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:27 AM   #2064
MCmad OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBigEd
OK, will oil change more regularly.

Which brings me to another question: fuel consumption. Seems my BIG is a lot more efficient than either my Hondas were in the same riding conditions. What's your consumption if I may ask - 800 don't have to answer as he rides too hard
Ha, how hurtful

Well aprox consumption last non track ride, I went to reserve at 286kms using 18.5 litres which is 6.4litres per 100 km ( my bike is also running a bit rich at idle and has 135 mains)
on the track im quessing about twice that and on the beach on the 8500 rev limiter perhaps 5 times that
So I can do 4 and bit 25 min 33km sessions at the track to reserve (at a guess) or 140kms, no wonder the Dakar bikes need such big tanks

Welcome new owners to I D B C ( actually "Big International" sounds cool)

Beaky and bigS cool bikes, Check out front page you are there with the rest of us plus other info

MCmad screwed with this post 04-27-2009 at 04:21 AM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:44 AM   #2065
morse
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Estonia
Oddometer: 236
I'm beginning to develop doubts in my fuel pump. The bike rides really well when tank is at least half full, it also starts nice and accelerates nice .

But when the tank is a little empty, she seems to run quite lean. Usually I have some gas in the tank so the fault doesen't appear too often.

Today I had at least 10 litres in the tank (I have the BIGGER tank) and the bike stutterd a bit, I switched to RESERVE - all was smooth again, so I rode about 80 km and then switched back to ON and there was still gas to run, but the mixture was still a bit lean. I'm SURE that all will be ok when I refill.
ALSO I remember from last year that I definately can't use all of the 7 litre reserve... I think I can use maybe 3 or 4 liters.

The vacuum line to the pump should be ok, have to double check that. Last year I opend up the pump - it seemed to be ok.

IS MY FUELPUMP JUST TOO OLD. Suggestions?
Also I remember discussion from here about alternative pumps so I'm prepeared for getting a new one from a boatstore or something like that.

Thanks!
Morse
morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:45 AM   #2066
morse
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Estonia
Oddometer: 236
Also! Hello to newcomers! Nice bikes!
morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:48 AM   #2067
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer
 
DrBigEd's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
Ha, how hurtful


I just get more impressed with my DR BIG as time goes by...
__________________
"For long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be"

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:02 AM   #2068
MCmad OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBigEd


I just get more impressed with my DR BIG as time goes by...
True right,they even do this, Man I got to get a wider rear rim and tire though

Or this ( sorry about rehash of pics but Im running out of Ideas for new ones) Fuel consuption estimate here 20L/100kms


MCmad screwed with this post 04-27-2009 at 04:12 AM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:57 AM   #2069
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by morse
I'm beginning to develop doubts in my fuel pump. The bike rides really well when tank is at least half full, it also starts nice and accelerates nice .

But when the tank is a little empty, she seems to run quite lean. Usually I have some gas in the tank so the fault doesen't appear too often.

Today I had at least 10 litres in the tank (I have the BIGGER tank) and the bike stutterd a bit, I switched to RESERVE - all was smooth again, so I rode about 80 km and then switched back to ON and there was still gas to run, but the mixture was still a bit lean. I'm SURE that all will be ok when I refill.
ALSO I remember from last year that I definately can't use all of the 7 litre reserve... I think I can use maybe 3 or 4 liters.

The vacuum line to the pump should be ok, have to double check that. Last year I opend up the pump - it seemed to be ok.

IS MY FUELPUMP JUST TOO OLD. Suggestions?
Also I remember discussion from here about alternative pumps so I'm prepeared for getting a new one from a boatstore or something like that.

Thanks!
Morse
Very valid concern. It could be pump too old, but not pump itself need change, only membrane. Get new one and it must improve.
If you do search in this tread on fuel pump - somewhere there I posted information on that issue, related to fuel pump membrane. It is not that visible or evident, but your bike symptoms do fit that case.
Of course if you tank breather is not blocked!
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:04 AM   #2070
dannydoy 750
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 40
newbie with starting probs.

hi there all.i have recently bought my first dr 750 and am having problems getting it to start.i have hooked up with drbiged and we have discusses the problem(thanks ed)was wondering if any of you old pro,s could help me out.any advise would be appreciated.
dannydoy 750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014