User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #196
Jack Rabbit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
750 airflow

I pulled the airbox and the DRZ can off yesterday. I was toying with the idea of making a custom airbox but my go with open filters and a prefilter or open filters and an open box design just to protect the filters and possibly create a bit of a low pressure around them to help knock the dust out of the air. I want to have the ability of ease of access yet still retain a relatively clean environment to extend the filter life when riding in the back of the pack on high speed dirt roads. Can anyone tell me if there is a single filter that will fit the existing intake boot to the carbs or should I get rid of that boot and go with twin filters?

Also I think I may try the can from an XR650R and see how that performs. It is totally stock and I will open it up as needed to get the power and loudness I want. I'm sure I will have to open up somewhat and I know you can do wonders with them on the 650 just by changing/modifying the tip. Do you guys think this will be a worthwhile venture for the pipe? Or should I just go with a slip on from a big street bike and be done with it? In case it matters, I currently have a 50mm diameter custom headpipe so there will be little to no restrictions there.

JR
Jack Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #197
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310
maybe the kiwi DRBIG's could get to gether for a south island trip next year,
worth a thought.
Could be 2 of them in the top of the south for the Dusty Butt , I know there'll be 1

I'll probly do a run over the same course if it's being done on Waitangi weekend.
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:55 AM   #198
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
[ATTACH]
194488[/ATTACH]
Hi Again Dino, will add you to page one, one things for sure you wont be able to park your bike anywhere and not be noticed, I was out with some Harley friends ( My harley was in bits ) on my DR a while ago and a passer by was checking out my 800 and didnt even look at the Harleys, I still get a kick when people cant believe its that many CC;s and a Single

Blues, Im going to try cutting top out off my air filter and some kind of velocity stack soon as I think there a bit more HP hiding in there yet, Id say Im about 52hp at the wheels now ( stock when new and tight 47HP) so maybe 56HP with filter mods as I think someone:s done jets as it runs stong from cold and it fuel Smokes if revved, Pipes already modded and loud

DRBig Model Rundown for those who havn't seen before is on front page to view also
http://www.suzukicycles.org/DR-series/DR750-800S-Big.shtml

MCmad screwed with this post 10-21-2008 at 02:38 AM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:35 PM   #199
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
certainly gets the looks- i might have to get some matching rider gear so i look the part.
i gotta learn how to throw her around off road before i do any HP mods,
a lot of weight to hold up(and lift up) when it goes wrong
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:12 PM   #200
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowrider
When your next down this way you'll have to let me know and i'll show you around . I live 2 mins from the start of the Macetown road and about 10 mins from the Skippers road and then to finish it off 35 mins from the Nevis road so its not the best place to live.

Hey Arrowrider,
Used to ride all those, especially Macetown, used to race up there & back after work...good shit.
Back when the Royal Oak was in full swing.
Used to wheelie up Tobins track, & fish down the Arrow/Kawarau junction.
Can you still ride up to the Battery at Macetown?

Cheers, Neil.
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:31 AM   #201
arrowrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hi Neil .
No you can't ride up to the batterys as 4WD "DICK HEADS" had been going off the tracks and ripping the shit out of the area so they've fenced it off . And the Royal Oak has complete gone but the New Orleans is looking pretty flash these days
arrowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #202
Jack Rabbit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
bit of a change of plans

Well I gutted the DRZ pipe and wow it was really choked up. Not a lot of breathing room in that thing. Have been in contact with the previous owner and he only had it out for one ride with that can and he liked the quietness of the bike but never really had it long enough after the rebuild to get the bugs out.

So like the title says, I'm doing a bit of a change of plans. I was going do something with the intake like a k&n or something like that but after talking with the last owner he said that it had lots of power with the stock pipe (rusted out). So I was just going to rebuild the insides of the pipe for nowand leave the stock airbox in place.

I have discovered a small Twin-Air filter for a KTM that is basically just a flat piece of foam that would fit nicely if you made a cut out for it on the top of the stock box. I may go in that direction next season after I get the pipe finished and of course put her to sleep for the winter.

Otherwise I am going to build a straight through exhaust. I'm just building a mesh tube insert and going to wrap it with packing. I will play around with internal baffles until I am happy with the sound and power balance but I do expect it to be loud and powerful. I suppose the way it should be.

JR
Jack Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #203
Letsgo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Hey guys,

I previously owned a few sportbikes and rode some off road bikes way back when i was 15yrs. I'm now thinking about buying a dr800:

anything in particular with these bikes i should look for?

greetz
Letsgo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:55 PM   #204
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo21
Hey guys,

I previously owned a few sportbikes and rode some off road bikes way back when i was 15yrs. I'm now thinking about buying a dr800:

anything in particular with these bikes i should look for?

greetz
Yes, get your hands on a KLX650 front end, it will transform the bike and its a bolt on conversion with the exception of the steering lock.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:44 AM   #205
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
certainly gets the looks- i might have to get some matching rider gear so i look the part.
i gotta learn how to throw her around off road before i do any HP mods,
a lot of weight to hold up(and lift up) when it goes wrong
Two things to consider

1 It will never be a motorcross bike, and should be ridden acordingly,

2, setup is very important in regard to the type of ridding you intend to do tyres and ride hight settings are biggies, to be quite honest DRbigs are great on the road and gravel and can do hard dirt but any thing soft will have the front end in fits and the back end sinking unless you run agressive tires, Also setting the bike up low will alow you more leyway at slow spead when turning slow as you really nead to be able to touch you feet easily on the ground, otherwise the bike may fall over on you and 190kg is not so easy to move once down

I also as have a YZ250F motorcross bike and I notice when the tires lose thier edge.
Riding the My Dr in the soft would be like Riding my YZ on rims

Dont expect to much offroad on dual sport tyres and youl be OK
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:43 AM   #206
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
Yes, get your hands on a KLX650 front end, it will transform the bike and its a bolt on conversion with the exception of the steering lock.
I am very interested about that mod...but I never saw it done to DR800...Mine is 1992 with 43mm forks.
Can you give some more info, may be photos?
Here is some questions I am stuck with - I will really really appreciate if you can answer what you can...pleease! :)
Even if you only have that info for DR750 so far...
1. Do DR front wheel fits KLX forks without modifications?
2. If not - do I need complete front from KLX, with wheel and everything?
3. Those KLX forks - they are not adjustable kind, are they? Are they cartridge forks?
4. How different is rake etc. of front forks with KLX set? Is bike geometry changing a lot?
5. Do tripple tree fits DR header without mods? If not - what need to be done? E.g. bearings, axle etc. etc.?
6. Does it affect max. steering angle, e.g. turning radius?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:16 AM   #207
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,670
1. Do DR front wheel fits KLX forks without modifications?

I doubt that, I bought the whole front end including the wheel

2. If not - do I need complete front from KLX, with wheel and everything?

I think so

3. Those KLX forks - they are not adjustable kind, are they? Are they cartridge forks?

They are not adjustable; i dont know what cartridge forks are. They are upside down though. They behave a lot better than the originals on my 750

4. How different is rake etc. of front forks with KLX set? Is bike geometry changing a lot?

I dont know the numbers. But from my experience, the bike behaves much better. I had to play a little with rear preload, as it seems KLX springs are softer. I am planning to fix this in the near future by adding a spacer. However, they have never bottomed and there is no excessive dive while braking (I use 7.5W oil instead of 5W). Having said that, I have replaced the front brake disc with an EBC SM (320mm) and braking is awesome even with the original crappy 750 caliper, which was made to fit with a small spacer.

5. Do tripple tree fits DR header without mods? If not - what need to be done? E.g. bearings, axle etc. etc.?

Yes it does, at least on the 750. I used the 750 bearings. There is a little difference on the steering stem length, but there is enough thread to use two counter lock nuts. The thread is same as 750 thread. On my KLX steering stem, the top thread where the nut above the top yoke bolts in, was damaged and I didnt use it. The top yoke was held in place by the upper forks alone, whish is not that much of an issue.

6. Does it affect max. steering angle, e.g. turning radius?

I have filled off the steering locks on the 750 frame and havent yet soldered new ones; the bottom KLX yoke has a different steering lock pattern. I didnt want to touch the klx yoke as I knew I would transfer the forks to the 800. The steering angle is defined by the frame, so it is unchanged. The klx fork to fork distance is slightly bigger than the original on the 750, but it creates no problem whatsoever. There is enough space in the fairing to accomodate the wider distance. Turning radius is unaffected.

Unfortunately, I am away from the bike as we speak, but will start looking into the 800 conversion in about 2-3 weeks time. I will take pics and will post them here. I will also measure the offset and anything else anybody would like to know. I havent ridden the bike for about 2 years, so things are slightly foggy in my mind. What i do remember WELL though, is that:

a) There was no machining required for the conversion apart from filling off the steering locks on the 750 frame
b) The KLX front end is solid as a rock compared to the 750, maybe the difference from the 800 is not as prominent.
c) The bike after the conversion felt a lot lighter, due to lighter forks as well as yokes. I couldnt't believe the weight of the stock steel yokes, which is also placed high.

All in all, the conversion is easy and with very positive effect. Dont be scared by the lack of adjustability of the KLX USD's, there is nothing a competent suspension mechanic cant address. Whether the 800 conversion is equally easy will be defined by the inner diameter of the top head bearing on the 800. I know that the outside diameter is larger than in the 750. Bottom bearings should be identical, as well as the steering stems. Maybe someone else can chime in and fill the gaps here!

m.

mousitsas screwed with this post 10-24-2008 at 07:54 AM
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #208
Letsgo21
Gnarly Adventurer

thx for the info!

The bike will be used 80% on road and about 20% gravel/dirt roads so i'll think those dual sport tyres will do.
As those forks, i know the owner did a swap allready, i'm waiting for more detailed pics and info, will put them here asap!

greetz
Old 10-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #209
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Mousitsas, thank you very much for such comprehensive info! That's actually answering all my questions :)
I also found that KLX650R forks unlike C model have some adjustements but rest is totally same with C model, so perhaps I'll go for it...thou I can't really complain about 43 mm stock forks on SR43.

Now I am buried deep in making full-scale sump guard from what turned out to be (D'oh! How would I have known that this material is that) not aluminium but some hard aly alloy, so I am having bad time half-bending-half-bolting that thing (have no welder for aluminum) from 5 mm flat I bought by chance. It's so non-bendable, even heating it not helping. When done I probably will have pattern for folding it and process documented, but if all will work as I plan it's going to be killer strong sump guard...
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #210
Letsgo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Damn, i'm looking forward to pics

Any of you guys use that imo or something comparable to it?
You guys prefer those to normal speedo and revcounter?

Letsgo21 screwed with this post 10-24-2008 at 10:46 AM