Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #2131
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Actually, that's why it's easier for girls. We call that strange feeling you get way down deep in your gut when you're way up high "sillyballs".

It happens to all the new firemen when on our aerial ladder for the first time, particularly if it's windy.

BALANCER CHAIN CHANGES:
Well, I put oil in the DR and started it up after adjusting the balancer chain and the sound of the engine is very different. There is much less clicking, clacking "loose" sounding noise from the engine.

What there is now is a soft "whine". I'm assuming this is from the newly tensioned chain. It's not loud, it just wasn't present before. It's mixed with the other engine sounds. Do you guys hear that same thing?

Also vibes seem to be damped down just a bit....nice.

ANOTHER VERY STRANGE PROBLEM:
OK....With all the others here having problems starting their bike. Mine has decided to be different.

I CAN'T STOP IT !

Oh, the brakes work fine, I'm talking about the engine.

I shut the engine off with the decompressor (manual on my 750) as recommended. Well today I forgot and turned the ignition key off (like my other bikes) instead.......NOTHING HAPPENED....well, the tach and lights went off but the engine kept running. I quickly turned the key back on since I didn't want to overload an electrical circuit, and tried it again....still no engine stop.

The emergency (kill) switch works and will stop the engine but not the ignition switch.

Any ideas?

I guess I'll have to take the ignition switch apart to see what's not happening inside like it's supposed to.

So, it's electrical problem solving this afternoon, and then the forks.
Yes, I did get soft "whine" sound right after adjusted balancer chain, but it went away soon...I guess it is guides...

As for no stop. Well - better than no start

Welcome to wonderful world of Suzuki ignition locks of 90s. They plain suck. Just bad quality, nothing else. Take it apart, clean, adjust, put back and you will be OK.
Mine decided that out of 3 attempts only 1 resulting in key "accepted" by the lock so that I can turn it on or off.
Since I never painted plastics on my DR and it deliberatly made to be a "sleeper" (I hope nobody will wipe piece of frame to see nice shiny paint) I almost decided to change lock for some hidden switch...but then I put lot of silicone oil in it and it worked again...for a while.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #2132
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
I shut the engine off with the decompressor (manual on my 750) as recommended. Well today I forgot and turned the ignition key off (like my other bikes) instead.......NOTHING HAPPENED....well, the tach and lights went off but the engine kept running. I quickly turned the key back on since I didn't want to overload an electrical circuit, and tried it again....still no engine stop.

The emergency (kill) switch works and will stop the engine but not the ignition switch.
Mine does the same. I thought because the previous owner messed with the loom, he screwed up something. Well now...
Is all your life will ever be"

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #2133
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBigEd
Mine does the same. I thought because the previous owner messed with the loom, he screwed up something. Well now...
hey, hey, I can not guarantee previous owner did NOT screwed up something but my bike electrics are bone stock except few connectors replaced and loom re-taped and mine have problems with ignition key. For example parking light do not work no matter what. I never got to taking lock apart...but it is second lock! Previous owner had problems, replaced it - now I have 2 different keys, one for ignition one for seat.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #2134
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Fear of height...I certainly have it unless I am skiing...but my wife...

It is Prekestolen, Norway, rock that has about 600 meters to fjord surface. This crack in rock goes all way down. And this crazy girl is my wife....last summer. Nearly gave heart attack to me and whole lot of tourists
I would never ever let my wife do that, if she fell who would do the cooking and the ironing ,

Lucky this is the internet and I can say things without fear of retrobution
But just in case, Im out of here real fast before those woman rally

MCmad screwed with this post 04-27-2009 at 04:36 PM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #2135
MCmad OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBigEd
Ah, he's a local here in SA. Same province as me, just 600km east. AND he speaks with the same funny accent Spoke to him on the phone...

Oh, 800, before I forget - you can chalk a 750 next to both our names.
Sorted, nice that youve got a little buddy now, 600 kms at 16km per day it will only take you 37 days to reach him, but if the roads are good 1 day trip for a BIG
Old 04-27-2009, 07:09 PM   #2136
bigS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
That's good looking DR you have! Congratulations! :)

SR43 series (one you have) is actually lower than older 2 models (750 and 800). I am really short guy but I did not bother with lowering. BUT I had to figure out (and I did) that previous owner of my DR set rear spring preload to almost max. and that raised bike height a lot, really a LOT. So, when I set spring preload to factory standard - all issue with seat height dissapeared. I never even thought about lowering it anymore.

You may try to set preload to lower factory limit, but then you need to raise forks in the top yoke/clamp to reflect geometry change of rear.
If you want to lower your DR even after rear preload set to lower factory setting then best is to tackle seat. Stock DR seat is way to hard for long distance anyway.
Just do not touch rear suspension links. Usual sportbike rising/lowering methods (changing suspension links) in application to DR is really bad idea because of suspension trave range.
Thank you Blueman, I will check my preload ASAP.
bigS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #2137
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,809
I love that photo of the right hand corner with the bike crossed up "just right" for the exit.....nice.

Well, another afternoon of spinning spanners. Forks are off, disassembled and draining after flushing.

Front beak is removed and handlebars will be removed tomorrow to service steering head bearings.

Fixed the "bike won't shut off" problem

First remove clocks to get some slack in the wires, then pull ign. switch up out of the clock bracket.

I then looked at the bottom of the switch and found one wire (black with white stripe) had broken off the soldered connection at the bottom of the switch.

A quick clean, strip of a bit of insulation and resolder and the bike will now shut down with the key again. Seems strange to have to connect a wire to have the bike turn OFF....but, there you have it.

Drilling out damper rods and putting in the cartridge emulator tomorrow.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:42 PM   #2138
nave
Nave

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
These ones go on front page, Im sure if you get time off from modelling you could make money as a photographer, ( how can I ace those ??? )
I was once a fotografher assistant for one day of shooting...(a very beautiful German girl )
That was as close as I got to that world... although I wouldn't mind doing that insted of some of the jobs I had (I'm an Architect but that's only because I'm too short )
photograph is a hobby that's goes together perfect with the motorcycle. I'm riding with a small Minolta hanging on so that I can pull it on fast enough to catch picture like this one:

DRbigED- I do fear of heights, that's why I send ather guys to the age of the cliff and I take there picture

And Bluesman- you'r wife is definitely CRAZY, thats part of why we love our wifes
I had a picture all ready here but she gave my a veto...
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #2139
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by nave
DRbigED- I do fear of heights, that's why I send ather guys to the age of the cliff and I take there picture
Very clever chap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nave
And Bluesman- you'r wife is definitely CRAZY, thats part of why we love our wifes
I had a picture all ready here but she gave my a veto...
OK, out with it...now you made me curious...

I'm off to go wring some necks - I have not heard anything on my tanks yet and I wanted to fix them on the bike today - looks like I might have to hand out a few slaps...
Is all your life will ever be"

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:14 AM   #2140
MCmad OP
Banned

Quote:
I love that photo of the right hand corner with the bike crossed up "just right" for the exit.....nice.

Heres another one for you( in case you havnt seen it before) the grunt of the DR really helps here together with its stability, just go a bit wide then turn in and gas it, Bam and hold the slide on the throttle, The Dominater tends to wag its tall by comparison ( sorry if Im boring you mechanics out there )

Nave, stop it will you, give us a fighting chance ( na just kidding, love ever pic keep it up )

MCmad screwed with this post 04-28-2009 at 12:34 AM
Old 04-28-2009, 12:49 AM   #2141
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,101
Quote:
Ray hope you taught that ninga a lesson to
The Ninja is my girlfriend's bike
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:44 AM   #2142
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
I've got to learn to do that.

Trouble is we don't have gravel tracks around this part of the UK to go and play on.

Got an afternoon of 'speedway school' provisionally booked in in may. I wonder if they'd let me take the BIG for a couple of laps.
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:53 AM   #2143
Chanterman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Item number 120412037264 on Ebay UK worth a look...

I couldn`t get the link up

payback is a bitch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGJws...k.com/home.php

Chanterman screwed with this post 04-28-2009 at 02:50 AM
Chanterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:56 AM   #2144
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 822
OI, can you guys stop posting please
Been offline since the 4th and it's taking me a while to catch up....
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:01 AM   #2145
Chanterman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Even on a dayly basis the posts come in groups
Chanterman is offline   Reply With Quote