Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #211
Okta
rooky

Oddometer: 62
Greeeetingz from Hungary

Hello Doctor Bigz!

I'm Laszlo Ochtinszki -Okta- from Hungary, have my second SR41.

Check out our website: www.drbig.hu
It is Hungarian, so what interesting can be for you guys are the pics:

Members: Klub - Tagok
Meetings: Fotogaleria - tura / klub

A short movie from one of our members:
http://drbig.uw.hu/tagok/japex.wmv

Big up for Bigz!

Cheers
Old 10-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #212
Letsgo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Nice site you got there mate! Beautiful pics!
Letsgo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:53 AM   #213
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
got a little problem, and this is where i'm at at the moment. any advice would be great.
(1) has any one had any problems with the carb leaking gas, mine seems to be leaking from the T as it goes into the carbs is this T ment to have any movement in it, i'm thinking it may need replacing but i cant be 100% on the exact point of leak as its a hard spot to see into.
(2) it might even be the fuel pump that is stuffed because even when the bikes not running its still leaking at the carb, so am i right in thinking that when the bikes running the vacum of the carb works the fuel pump so when its not running there should be no fuel passing the pump- is that right or am i wrong? if i'm right does that mean it's just the pump that needs replacing and the fuel leaking from the carb is just an over flow.
last owner reckoned he had the carb over hauled.
any ideas?

cheers
Dean
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #214
Letsgo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310
got a little problem, and this is where i'm at at the moment. any advice would be great.
(1) has any one had any problems with the carb leaking gas, mine seems to be leaking from the T as it goes into the carbs is this T ment to have any movement in it, i'm thinking it may need replacing but i cant be 100% on the exact point of leak as its a hard spot to see into.
(2) it might even be the fuel pump that is stuffed because even when the bikes not running its still leaking at the carb, so am i right in thinking that when the bikes running the vacum of the carb works the fuel pump so when its not running there should be no fuel passing the pump- is that right or am i wrong? if i'm right does that mean it's just the pump that needs replacing and the fuel leaking from the carb is just an over flow.
any ideas?

cheers
Dean

imo y're right, i do think it's the fuel pump.
Do you know someone who has a spare carb or one that you can swap?
That's the way you can rule things out....

greetz
Old 10-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #215
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo21
imo y're right, i do think it's the fuel pump.
Do you know someone who has a spare carb or one that you can swap?
That's the way you can rule things out....

greetz
no spare carbs locally, gonna buy a new pump and try it (fingers crossed)
Old 10-27-2008, 12:55 AM   #216
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310
any ideas?

cheers
Dean
I think you migh have hit classical DR problem, or may be not (I am not 100% sure I understood correctly).

It can be not fuel pump yet (thou it can break too with slightly different symptoms).
Read fix here:

http://home.germany.net/avehrenb/Big/tips_e.html

As for fuel pump - if ever you will need to replace it - buy Mikuni fuel pump rather than original. Those Mikuni's easy to find (Google), cheap and much more reliable than stock pump.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/MIKUNI-FUEL...4718_10111.jcw
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #217
Letsgo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
I think you migh have hit classical DR problem, or may be not (I am not 100% sure I understood correctly).

It can be not fuel pump yet (thou it can break too with slightly different symptoms).
Read fix here:

http://home.germany.net/avehrenb/Big/tips_e.html

As for fuel pump - if ever you will need to replace it - buy Mikuni fuel pump rather than original. Those Mikuni's easy to find (Google), cheap and much more reliable than stock pump.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/MIKUNI-FUEL...4718_10111.jcw
now that's some very useful info!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #218
nave
Nave

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit
I pulled the airbox and the DRZ can off yesterday. I was toying with the idea of making a custom airbox but my go with open filters and a prefilter or open filters and an open box design just to protect the filters and possibly create a bit of a low pressure around them to help knock the dust out of the air. I want to have the ability of ease of access yet still retain a relatively clean environment to extend the filter life when riding in the back of the pack on high speed dirt roads. Can anyone tell me if there is a single filter that will fit the existing intake boot to the carbs or should I get rid of that boot and go with twin filters?

Also I think I may try the can from an XR650R and see how that performs. It is totally stock and I will open it up as needed to get the power and loudness I want. I'm sure I will have to open up somewhat and I know you can do wonders with them on the 650 just by changing/modifying the tip. Do you guys think this will be a worthwhile venture for the pipe? Or should I just go with a slip on from a big street bike and be done with it? In case it matters, I currently have a 50mm diameter custom headpipe so there will be little to no restrictions there.

JR
I drive mostly off road and Israel is a very dusty country…
Here is my solution for the air filter:
I made an aluminum adapter to fit between the carb' and the new open air filter (UNI) and kept the original air box.
I cut the age of the air box that points to the direction of the carb'
So first I connect the adapter then the air box goes in up until it touches the age of the adapter and then the air filter connects.
I kept the top of the air box but made the air holes bigger (and lose the original rubber snorkel.
Very easy to take care of the air filter now and the improvement in power and respond is excellent
Especially now when I have the Mikuni flat slide on

nave screwed with this post 12-23-2008 at 06:18 AM
nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #219
nave
Nave

here is the adapter...

nave screwed with this post 03-20-2009 at 12:07 AM
Old 10-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #220
nave
Nave

and the 3 parts togther

nave screwed with this post 03-20-2009 at 12:08 AM
Old 10-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #221
Jack Rabbit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
nice work

That is some nice work Nave. I was thinking about doing something like this as one of my options. I think I may have to try it now. Looks awesome and totally functional. I like the idea of the ease of access and cleaning as compared to the stock unit.

For the immediate future, I will be adressing the exhaust issue. I took the bike for a very short ride yesterday with no exhaust can and it has plenty of power and pull to 140 kph. I didn't go faster than that but I'm sure it functions nicely above that. I have a straight through exhaust coming in and will hopefully get a chance to report in it if the weather holds.

Thanks Nave for the awesome idea.

JR
Jack Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:51 PM   #222
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit
That is some nice work Nave. I was thinking about doing something like this as one of my options. I think I may have to try it now. Looks awesome and totally functional. I like the idea of the ease of access and cleaning as compared to the stock unit.
  1. For the immediate future, I will be adressing the exhaust issue. I took the bike for a very short ride yesterday with no exhaust can and it has plenty of power and pull to 140 kph. I didn't go faster than that but I'm sure it functions nicely above that. I have a straight through exhaust coming in and will hopefully get a chance to report in it if the weather holds.
Thanks Nave for the awesome idea.

JR
So that was you I heard, wondered what it was.

Thanks for the pictures nave, looks like a good setup might have to give it a try.

BTW, what octane fuel do you guys run. I usually run 91 unleaded and filled up with 96 just to see what would happen.......I won't be doing it again.
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:19 PM   #223
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj
So that was you I heard, wondered what it was.

Thanks for the pictures nave, looks like a good setup might have to give it a try.

BTW, what octane fuel do you guys run. I usually run 91 unleaded and filled up with 96 just to see what would happen.......I won't be doing it again.
mine seems to be sweet on 96 bro
Old 10-27-2008, 11:54 PM   #224
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,138
Nave, you are totally star!

I am going to IMMEDIATELY do that mod for filter right after finishing sump guard.
I do not have access to machining facility to make that beatiful part from aluminium, but I have velder and some inox in my garage, so I am going to bend it and weld it....Beatiful!

I guess with this kinda "velocity stack" setup bike gets additional "omph" on low RPMs?
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 AM   #225
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,580
Excellent idea Nave, this is the way to go! Can you tell us the overall length and outside diameter of the cylidrical part where the filter pod fits?
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote