Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2008, 06:20 AM   #16
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
A little bit offtopic - may be need to be posted to Tenere tread... Before you read this: I actually like new Tenere a lot and really tempted to buy it. Just for information. Believe it or not - I do not know. I am just sharing what I heard.
Literally 2 days ago I found some loads of info about how it lives in real life. We were on big offroad ride with mostly big DRs ( I think about 10 of them?), one KTM 640 Adv, Rally Superten and one XL600 Dakar for all day from 9:30 am to 6:30 PM and were lead by the guy who truly is riding God. He was riding old Tenere (that big tank version, forgot exact name) like he was born on it, on really hard-enduro like terrain and knew every gap in forests around.
He somehow was one of like long time official testers for Yamaha on new Tenere and ridden one to its death. He said: very good for soft riding, do not push it.
After he rode it same was as his old Tenere new one had some troubles:
1. Rear flappers, numberplate and all tail fell off. And I think if I understood correctly rear part of frame (subframe?) cracked.
2. Exhaust link pipe-header cracked and broke on left side under pillion
3. Rear wheel rim cracked
4. Front fender cracked in few places
5. Footpegs - something was up with them, not sure what...he said it in Dutch and I missed it
6. Even when front fender was OK on water crossings or in heavy rain water was getting straight under front mask and under headlight and literally spraying in his face from hole under headlight. He said it needs small flapper on front forks under mask.
7. Side stand have tendency to fold and you need to be very accurate and unfold it all the way.

Eventually he said that engine is sweet and rear swingarm is great too, forks kinda OK and brakes good as well, and he loved that grey plastic on sides for saving bike from total demolishing. With all that he did not crash it on hard ground at all, he just rode it as he rides his Tenere, he was positive on that. And bike now with Yamaha for some analysis. Perhaps they will be doing some changes or something? Anyway, positive part is that Yamaha guys DO care on what riders think!

For myself I (beginner) found after that ride that DR is SO much more capable than I thought and that changing tires to reall offroad tires, knobby kind is a must to be able to really ride it. My Mefo Explorers became useless moment I was hitting wet mud and clay, which for me (a beginner) was not that confidence-inspiring. Clay made them look like sleeks for Moto GP. Great on other surfaces, bad on mud. Other guys did let me see how Big should really be ridden in forrests and truly rough terrain....By God they were quick!
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:05 AM   #17
Molgan
nub

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
1. Rear flappers, numberplate and all tail fell off. And I think if I understood correctly rear part of frame (subframe?) cracked.
I had to fasten the numberplate once since it almost came off because of vibrations, so yes there is a problem. Gonna replace the whole plastic thing with a smaller alu thing when I get the custom exhaust. Had a look at the subframe and it looks really solid, can't belive he managed to crack it. But stranger things have happened.
Quote:
2. Exhaust link pipe-header cracked and broke on left side under pillion
It's a big blob of an exhaust and it vibrates so not impossible. Once again glad I'm replacing it. =)
Quote:
3. Rear wheel rim cracked
Reckless driving!
Quote:
4. Front fender cracked in few places
Weird. Getting a high fender anyway.
Quote:
5. Footpegs - something was up with them, not sure what...he said it in Dutch and I missed it
I think they are too short and I took the rubber off after a few kilometers because it didn't feel safe. Someone mentioned they could easily be replaced with WR ribbed foot pegs so I'll try that.
Quote:
6. Even when front fender was OK on water crossings or in heavy rain water was getting straight under front mask and under headlight and literally spraying in his face from hole under headlight. He said it needs small flapper on front forks under mask.
Yep, discovered that too. Hope the OTR high fender helps a bit.
Quote:
7. Side stand have tendency to fold and you need to be very accurate and unfold it all the way.
Yep! Second day after I bought it I slammed it to the ground, had the jacket, raincover and helmet on me and didn't see that the side stand returned. Felt kind of stupid.

Good points, and yep I guess Yamaha will see to it until next season. Must remember that these test drivers are supposed to drive the bike to it's death so things are supposed to break. =) I'm still incredibly happy with the bike and I guess I will stick to it for a long time. And you are correct that this maybe should be in the Teneré thread, a lot of people would be interested. Could also be posted here:
http://www.xt660.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

Quote:
Other guys did let me see how Big should really be ridden in forrests and truly rough terrain....By God they were quick!
Yes it's a lot up to the rider what the bike can do, seen some crazy stunts pulled off with the 800, some was even intentional.

Molgan screwed with this post 07-22-2008 at 09:13 AM
Molgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #18
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

I am really tempted with Tenere, and I think ergos on that bike just PERFECT... but then I will wait till Intermot 2008 (in October, just 1,5 hour drive from my house) and I am feeling I am going to end up with keeping DR+ buying something like WR450F. Unless of course KTM will make 690 Adventure and I will have to hold on for 2 years until they will fix all bugs

BTW - if you will ever need any help with DR spares etc. from Germany or other places - ping me, I'll try to help if there is postage/delivery problems etc.
Same goes for guys in US with DRs - if you need help just let me know...
Old 07-24-2008, 12:38 AM   #19
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 880
Hi all
Finaly managed to post after allsorts of login issues.
Anyway I'm the proud owner of an 88 DR750(will post pics when I work out how to embed them in the post).
Pretty much standard bike alround, swaped it for a 95 BMW f650,I think it was a good deal(still havn't made up my mind yet) find it much more comfortable to ride than the beemer, much better body position when up on the pegs. And the sound it makes is something else, I think it's a standard pipe although theres nothing to compare it to round here.
Havn't worked out how to open up the air box yet, but when I do I'll be back to find out about re-jetting.
Anyway I'm happy with the performance for now, and the sound(did I already mention that).
Bluesman, I could be in touch re the spares for this bike, not sure what prices are like where you are but I paid $100 nz for an air filter and oil filter which I thought was a bit steep, and I could get parts for the bmw out of the U.K. myself,cheaper and quicker than going through the local bike shop.

J.....
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:42 AM   #20
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Hi Molgan your Ten looks very cool, thanks for reply but I was wondering how the engines compared for power say if you are passing a vehicle travelling at 110 kays, my Dr with loud pipe cut air cleaner top and jetting absolutly stonks at that speed nothing ive ridden has more top gear pull from 100 to 140ks including KTM950 adventure or GSX1100 suzuki and what about general open road cruising is it relaxed at 110 to 130kph how would they compare , Just interested since you own both

Welcome ztaj, to post pictures I down size to under 144 kb in my files then you can pick them up in the advanced post under attachment by useing the brouser, Good luck, look forward to seeing pictures soon Also I will add you to owners list I am compileing ( see first post )

MCmad screwed with this post 07-24-2008 at 01:07 AM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:34 AM   #21
ztaj
jatz

1 more to come

ztaj screwed with this post 12-10-2010 at 07:41 PM
Old 07-24-2008, 02:39 AM   #22
ztaj
jatz

Anatori river, top of the South island

ztaj screwed with this post 12-10-2010 at 07:41 PM
Old 07-24-2008, 05:06 AM   #23
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Nice bike, sure - if you need help - always welcome! 100 NZ - what's that in Euro? I mean - real, not internet rates?
But the photos! Wow! What a stunning nature!

BTW - I totally agree about DR on high speed. Really weird that tumper goes like stink between 100 and 140. Of course not comparing with my other bike - VTR or any roadbike for that matter, but comparing to true DS....wow! It does not notice my wife as pillion and 3 had luggage cases.
Which is good, as I am off to Norway on 14 August...
Old 07-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #24
Molgan
nub

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
was wondering how the engines compared for power say if you are passing a vehicle travelling at 110 kays, my Dr with loud pipe cut air cleaner top and jetting absolutly stonks at that speed nothing ive ridden has more top gear pull from 100 to 140ks including KTM950 adventure or GSX1100 suzuki and what about general open road cruising is it relaxed at 110 to 130kph how would they compare , Just interested since you own both
Ah ok. I would definately say the 800 got more pull at 110 kmh as you say. It never hesitates even if I overload the bike, the Ten struggles a lot more. I usually kick it down a gear if I'm going to pass a vehicle at that speed since the Ten delivers the most around 5500-6000rpm (110kmh ~ 4200rpm on top gear). On the 800 I just pull the throttle. So, when it comes to brute force the Ten got nothing on the 800, the Ten has a wider rpm range though so it's easier to handle.

Still the Ten is a bit more comfortable on open road cruising. If it's not too windy, going steady at 160kmh isn't a problem while 120kmh is the most relaxed. The suspension works really well, the bike doesn't vibrate as much as the 800 (part from some annoying vibes in the handlebar) and the windshield does a good job. Took the Ten on a 2000 km trip, and the first thing I did when I got back home was taking the bike out on a cruising in town. I think that gives an idea about how comfortable I think the bike is. The engine is a bit weak though and could do with some modding..

@ztaj: Really nice bike and that water makes me wanna swim. =)
Molgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:29 AM   #25
ztaj
jatz

[quote=bluesman]Nice bike, sure - if you need help - always welcome! 100 NZ - what's that in Euro? I mean - real, not internet rates?
But the photos! Wow! What a stunning nature!

quote]

About 46 euro at todays bank rate, Doesn't seem so bad when I say it like that.

BTW, how do I open up the air box. It looks to me like the air enters through the center of the filter then passes through to the outside before going into the carb
Old 07-25-2008, 02:36 AM   #26
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

that's correct, flow goes that way.
Normally you shoul open up center of the filter by cutting bigger hole in top of the filter. Usually on my 800 (different filter, same principle) I am cutting following pressed edge

Attached is photo where I marked cut. This is not ideal, because you actually creating unstable airflow on that sharp edge, but it is still better than stock. To make it nicer it is recommended to actually use some kind of "flow smoothener" on that metal edge, for example that stuff that used on windscreens on bikes, the round edging rubber.
Then you need to get intake to match inlet of modified filter - no point opening up filter if intake still restrictive.
As far as I remember on 750 air intake is under left side plastick cover and has snorkel, correct?
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2008, 02:40 AM   #27
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj
Anatori river, top of the South island
Nice photo.

Looks like you could drop your front tyre pressure a bit though.

NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:46 AM   #28
ztaj
jatz

Yes, correct, theres a snorkel thing behind the plastic cover, so I open that up to about the same size ?
Old 07-25-2008, 03:39 AM   #29
MCmad OP
Banned

Some Pics taken today at Port Wiakato Auckland NZ

Hay Ztaj just realized you a fellow NZer cool Im wanting to compile a NZ owner List Maybe ,we can Start DR Big NZ rides

Molgan are those revs at 110kph correct if so I say that would be a reason for not so much passing power as My DR with standard gearing is doing approx 4750rpm at that speed Which allows it a top speed of Aprox 175kph at the 7500rpm redline, your Ten would be trying to pull about the same wieght with less rpm,
Still recon The Tens a good looker thou and probable easier to live with over a long distance as theres only so much one can do to smooth out that Big Dr power pulse I notice it seems real smooth at the start off a ride but after a few hundred ks she starts to wear you down, but boy can it pass things quick

Also I will record were we all come from at No 1 post
Attached Images

MCmad screwed with this post 07-25-2008 at 04:18 AM
Old 07-25-2008, 03:41 AM   #30
MCmad OP
Banned

Got it on the rev limiter on one off these ( 8500rpm I think ) which is easy to do with loud pipes
Attached Images