ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #3601
MCmad OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBigEd
Yeah, yeah - rub it in why don't you

One of these days the big cheese will have swung around and I'll be posting from the middle of the pool again
Hows it going Ed
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #3602
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer
 
DrBigEd's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
Hows it going Ed
OK. Missus got 6weeks left
__________________
"For long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be"

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #3603
MCmad OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 7,842
Yes that will be a big thing for you, is this your first
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #3604
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer
 
DrBigEd's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
Yes that will be a big thing for you, is this your first
Nope. Boy is 11 already

I better not work on the BIG's timing...
__________________
"For long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be"

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #3605
MCmad OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBigEd
Nope. Boy is 11 already

I better not work on the BIG's timing...
Cool you will have a baby sitter soon ,( I think my old brain is remember some pics you posted of your son a while ago now)

You do ride a thumper which dont fire that often so perhaps your on time
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #3606
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really
 
Ladder106's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Oddometer: 4,805
Nice work BigS

That thing is just begging for some slots so you can adjust it up and down
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #3607
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,100
Very good 800 for sale in the UK, looks like a lot of work has been done:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...l&Ntk=site&Ntt=
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #3608
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer
 
DrBigEd's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Nice work BigS

That thing is just begging for some slots so you can adjust it up and down
It sure does! Reminds me of the MRA screen for the older Varadero.

I think I described my previous screen issue wrong (this is what you get if English is only your second language). I suspect buffeting is that turbulance you get behind vehicles, etc. Right? If so, that's not what my problem was. I get full on full wind in my face/helemt. So much in fact that I've managed to sprain my neck when i looked around at 140km/h.

So, I am still in the market for a screen.
__________________
"For long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be"

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #3609
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ausibatla's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Waroona, West. Australia
Oddometer: 441
Got lucky

G'day everyone. I was sick of chasing all over the world for parts for my DR750 so I put an ad in the newspaper for parts or bikes just so I could draw the people that had them out into the open and I would know who had what. As it turned out I got just 2 calls from people wanting to buy a DR Big and then a call from a guy who had an '87 orange and white DR 750. Exactly the same as my '88 model. He had bought it about 18 months ago and couldn't get it to run for more than a few seconds. He assured me it had only done 31000kms and was complete. If I wanted it I could have it for $600. He had already spent $300 on a new fuel pump. Well it's not licensed but it is complete. It has a broken indicator arm and a cracked tail light lens and a couple of other small things that need fixing. I pulled the carbs off and the first thing I noticed was the vacuum hose from the pump went to the breather on the carbs. As I had already pulled them off I gave them a good clean and some new 'O' rings and put them back with the vacuum connected properly and away she went. I did the tappets while waiting for the 'O' rings to arrive and the inside of the motor looks brand new. When she started she sounded brand new. So this one is getting stripped back to bare frame then work on up 'til finished as new.
Now that I've told you all that , one of the parts I need is a bowl for one of the carbs. It has devcon in a small spot both inside and out on the bottom near the drain screw so it must have a small crack or hole in it. It's not leaking but I would like to replace it. Anyone got a spare bowl they can sell me or know of a bowl from another carb that will fit. I know these carbs were used on a lot of bikes. I would appreciate it.
Cheers,
ausibatla
__________________
Youth's a mask but it don't last
Live it long and live it fast
'88 Harley Davidson Springer '91 DR 800 '95 Yamaha XV1100
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #3610
MCmad OP
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBigEd
It sure does! Reminds me of the MRA screen for the older Varadero.

I think I described my previous screen issue wrong (this is what you get if English is only your second language). I suspect buffeting is that turbulance you get behind vehicles, etc. Right? If so, that's not what my problem was. I get full on full wind in my face/helemt. So much in fact that I've managed to sprain my neck when i looked around at 140km/h.

So, I am still in the market for a screen.
Edd, Buffeting is when the wind blast is derected at your helmet and makes you head wobble or vibrate, screens are a wierd science Im 5'10 and the 800 screen is near perfect for me no buffeting but removes weight from shoulders I prefer lower non buffeting than the other but dont want to be pulled off the bike at 120 kph DR is fine to 150kph

Am going to Aussie tmoror so last post for a while
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:15 AM   #3611
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer
 
DrBigEd's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausibatla
G'day everyone. I was sick of chasing all over the world for parts for my DR750 so I put an ad in the newspaper for parts or bikes just so I could draw the people that had them out into the open and I would know who had what. As it turned out I got just 2 calls from people wanting to buy a DR Big and then a call from a guy who had an '87 orange and white DR 750. Exactly the same as my '88 model. He had bought it about 18 months ago and couldn't get it to run for more than a few seconds. He assured me it had only done 31000kms and was complete. If I wanted it I could have it for $600. He had already spent $300 on a new fuel pump. Well it's not licensed but it is complete. It has a broken indicator arm and a cracked tail light lens and a couple of other small things that need fixing. I pulled the carbs off and the first thing I noticed was the vacuum hose from the pump went to the breather on the carbs. As I had already pulled them off I gave them a good clean and some new 'O' rings and put them back with the vacuum connected properly and away she went. I did the tappets while waiting for the 'O' rings to arrive and the inside of the motor looks brand new. When she started she sounded brand new. So this one is getting stripped back to bare frame then work on up 'til finished as new.
Now that I've told you all that , one of the parts I need is a bowl for one of the carbs. It has devcon in a small spot both inside and out on the bottom near the drain screw so it must have a small crack or hole in it. It's not leaking but I would like to replace it. Anyone got a spare bowl they can sell me or know of a bowl from another carb that will fit. I know these carbs were used on a lot of bikes. I would appreciate it.
Cheers,
ausibatla
FOR $600!!!!! I wanna move to Oz...
__________________
"For long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be"

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:08 AM   #3612
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ausibatla's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Waroona, West. Australia
Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBigEd
FOR $600!!!!! I wanna move to Oz...
Yair, Ed. I'm not kidding myself. I was pretty lucky.
__________________
Youth's a mask but it don't last
Live it long and live it fast
'88 Harley Davidson Springer '91 DR 800 '95 Yamaha XV1100
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:28 AM   #3613
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer
 
DrBigEd's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausibatla
Yair, Ed. I'm not kidding myself. I was pretty lucky.
Just checked the exchange rate. The whole bike cost you what just my tank respray cost me! Hell, that's a good deal. What did your other one cost - if I may ask. You can pm me
__________________
"For long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be"

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:30 AM   #3614
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ausibatla's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Waroona, West. Australia
Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBigEd
Just checked the exchange rate. The whole bike cost you what just my tank respray cost me! Hell, that's a good deal. What did your other one cost - if I may ask. You can pm me
My other one cost $1400. It needed a new starter clutch, a starter motor and one of the starter gears but it was licensed. Then I replaced a few other things, had the tanks painted and had some decals made up. All up it probably owes me about $2500.
Cheers.
__________________
Youth's a mask but it don't last
Live it long and live it fast
'88 Harley Davidson Springer '91 DR 800 '95 Yamaha XV1100
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:09 AM   #3615
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer
 
DrBigEd's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausibatla
My other one cost $1400. It needed a new starter clutch, a starter motor and one of the starter gears but it was licensed. Then I replaced a few other things, had the tanks painted and had some decals made up. All up it probably owes me about $2500.
Cheers.
Jeez, this is huting me badly... Mine cost me A$3825 so far...
__________________
"For long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be"

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014