Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #6361
zappa71
60.000 km BIG fun

Oddometer: 101
If it's a noise at a specific rev start at checking nothing is loose at the covers and so on..
also look at the chain guide wheels just after the front sprocket, top or bottom one could be missing..

If you are sure it's the engine making the noise [ did think that a few times to find that it was one of the things above] than it's is most likely the cam chain.

easy to check, just take off the rotor cover and feel at the cam chain, it shoud be real thigt..

Hope it a loose bolt or so, other wise changing the cam chain is a easy job.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #6362
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Hunter
Hey guys, I got a strange sound from my DR, it's like someone swirling a ballbearing round and round in a spray can at 3500 RPM is that normal?

And there is also a bit of vibration like a rattling on metal.
clutch basket maybe? where abouts the sound coming from...

mine had a simular sound at idol, but took it as normal engine sound
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #6363
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
OK fellow DRers...
I think it's time I actually post some photos of what I been busy with on my DR lately. No riding (yes, it's not sunny side of world) but tech.

So, here goes. Thumbnails - click for big picture

Now my DR have removable panniers off Aprilia Pegaso sitting on self-build from pieces I had left of 5Stars rack pannier frames. Actually, only thing remained from those racks is that frame from steep pipe. Rest was totally cut off and made from scratch.
Result? Wonderful. Each panner holds 30 liters of luggage and overall bike width 850 mm - exactly same with handlebar.

Cost of project - 2 panniers off eBay for 99 Euro (like new), 4 pieces from hardware store used as material, lots of welding and swearing and couple of rattle cans of paint.

Now, other stuff
New lower chain guide - I wanted to ensure chain never ever hit supermoto wheel when my DR plays road bike, so took care of both lower and upper part.

RMZ450 chain guide block plus couple of pieces of 6082 alloy plates.

And chain deflector - to avoid upper part of chain hitting 150 tyre. Plastic part - UHMW, that plastic known for very high resistance to wear and very slippery surface etc. etc. It is installed reliably - 2 metal pieces welded into holes drilled in swingarm and aluminium base of deflector bolted to swingarm.

And finally - Ta-dam! My hypersuperultracool Wilbers shock absorber! :)
All adjustable, all great.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #6364
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
some new stuff..

I sourced one particular version of Chaintec chain oiler from ebay (cheap - 15 GBP)- I was specifically after valve/reservoir which reacts to rough terrain. It's metal ball in specifically shaped plastic chamber....just turns out DR engine vibes enough to make that valve operate. When engine is off or idling it does not open.

Got that, now done actual lubricator part.

Here goes. No mods to stock parts, just couple of old pieces of metal and welder and patience. I just slide mount onto mount for sprocket cover that sticks out from casing. It is round, but at one side it is "sliced" to flat surface - factory, I did not do it. So mount for nozzles wont turn as I shaped it to match that cast thingy.

pieces

bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #6365
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Does anybody know where I can get a rear left foot peg bracket for a '91 DR800 (SR43A). They are cast alloy and have a place for bolting on the seat key lock. I only need the bracket but will gladly pay for a complete unit if the owner wont seperate it. I'm also after the wire speedo cable guide that bolts to the right fork leg. I had them coming from Germany but they have been lost in transit. 60 Euro down the drain.
Appreciate any help or advice. (Not too personal though).
Cheers.

ausibatla screwed with this post 02-28-2010 at 06:50 PM
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #6366
juss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
front brake caliper mount bolts

Does anyone know what type of bolts are holding the front brake caliper mount on the SR43B? One of the pre-owners has cranked in some M10 bolts that obviously didn't fit, but with furious anger and lot of power he somehow managed to fit the brakes with them and ride.. WHAT THE HELL WAS HE THINKING!!?

Luckily the mount is made out of some mighty heavy-metal substance that just seems to have re-threaded the bolts, so I just need to find the right ones.

juss screwed with this post 02-28-2010 at 10:33 PM
juss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #6367
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Bolts are M10, but smaller pitch than "normal" pitch thread. It's M10 fine thread.
If you want I can measure exact thread pitch today in the evening and post it.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #6368
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
Chain oiler is looking good.

It will be interesting to see how it works at the CS sprocket location.

Can you direct me to more information about the container/valve. An interweb search only brought up e-bay items but not much info on the company or the function of t he part.

Thanks
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #6369
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Unfortunately there is no company anymore. Chaintec is long gone...so eBay items is best you can find - NOS.
How it works: actually that model I have have steel ball sitting in kinda tricky shaped conical lower part chamber and it reacts to sudden moves by moving heavy ball out of the way of oil. Theoretically this was supposed to be for offroading, but I noticed that on DR engine vibrations at around 3000-3500 rpms and more give enough movement to ball to let oil through slowly. More gas - more oil. The reservoir itself strapped to frame. On top it have turn-cover and small hole, when you turn cap to close that hole in top of chamber it stops oil flowing completely as air does not get in. It's for transporting bike. When you turn to open air hole is free and oil can move when ball opens valve.
I heard numerous opinions, mostly bad about road version of Chaintec - it had inertia valve reacting to start-stop horizontal forces and straps usually to swingarm side. But I did not care - I liked idea of valve, rest did not matter.
The oiler part itself not very impressive in Chaintec kit. Just piece of flat metal with plastic nozzle attached by rubber ring etc. to be installed on rear axle and bent to point at sprocket. Actually all I needed from kit is valve-reservoir unit and clear tube ...well, and 250 ml of oil are useful too.
When I got it nobody even did bid for it on eBay - I checked now, same seller - already 5 bids and twice of what I paid.
The road version also there, nobody bidding for it. I am tempted to get that too.

I am curious as well - spent quite some time on it
But weather just goes from bad to worse yesterday I was afraid trees will fly off and will be hitting my garage - it was quite a storm. Today it is calmer but cold (+4 celsius) and rain is not my favourite combo for testing new shock, chain guides and oiler since I need to work bike a bit harder in corners to check new suspension.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #6370
zappa71
60.000 km BIG fun

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausibatla
Does anybody know where I can get a rear left foot peg bracket for a '91 DR800 (SR43A). They are cast alloy and have a place for bolting on the seat key lock. I only need the bracket but will gladly pay for a complete unit if the owner wont seperate it. I'm also after the wire speedo cable guide that bolts to the right fork leg. I had them coming from Germany but they have been lost in transit. 60 Euro down the drain.
Cheers.
Got them both, don't now what shipping would be do..

Got a lot more fore sale:
Wheel set
Front fork with lower plate and pin
Head light
Very ugly fairing set
Cylinder and cylinder head and piston { on where limit}
Oil cooler
CDI
Rotor
Lots of engine parts

And a SR43 ready to be taken apart, engine, electrics, wheels and things i need to keep the other SR43 running for a long time won't get sold..
The rest is for sale

And got those still for sale..

Old 03-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #6371
Chanterman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausibatla
Cheers. get
Aussi have you tried

www.drbig.info Index page

Big Bob will probably know where to get a lot of bits
Chanterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #6372
stefan rb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
many thnaks to ED!

and the home of DR BIG:
www.dr-big-shop.de
stefan rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #6373
stefan rb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
many thanks to ED!

i think its time to say THANK YOU for your help!

ed was looking for a tripmeter for my dr zeta.
he dont know me (not live ;-) )
but he check out and brought the part for me
thats a friend.

thank you one more!!
(sometimes the doctor big need help too )

and the home of DR BIG:
www.dr-big-shop.de
stefan rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #6374
ppe172
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Thanks for the kind words Stefan. I'm happy to help. I mailed it at lunch today.

Ed
ppe172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:34 AM   #6375
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,711
Went for a ride out to a place they call Dunns Swamp on saturday but it is really a dam that was built for the water supply for 2 towns called Kandos and Rylstone it is located in the Wollimi national park
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote