Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #6391
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,770
hey Juss thanks for the reply, and I like the frog brerumm berummm ding ding thing cool
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:02 AM   #6392
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
I heard that in the beginnig of this winter some radio station in western europe (maybe it was france) announced:
People shouldn't under any circumstances try to drive as fast as the cars with Estonian (Me, Juss, Mait, MonstaBlokaz) and Finnish (Aapo, Snocross and maybe someone else) numberplates do on the slippery roads. We are used to such things.

In Viljandi (Juss and I both work there I think) they have to gather the snow with trucks and carry it down to the lake, so people could move. It's expensive and so on but I take that anytime comparing to the rainy winters.

Ofcourse we have nothing compared to Norway.

morse screwed with this post 03-06-2010 at 02:40 AM
morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #6393
pikeman59
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Newbie on the forum.

Hi all, I learned to ride on a Dr Big 5 years ago and this winter I felt that I had to buy one again. I could ride it 1 time before snow fell and it was great. Found this forum with great people and great info.

The last 3 months I have been cleaning her up and doing some service, just finished with front forks, brakes, new wheel bearings and new rubber.

I really need another exhaust than stock, had a Laser Produro Sport on the first Big but it was a bit loud. Anyone with some info about the Laser Produro Legal system? Is it too quiet, will it improve performance?

//Sven
pikeman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #6394
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi! Sven! Welcome to the thread!
Sorry I have no Info on the laser (I use Sebring Enduro 4 and it's not the greatest - not very well built and even with db killer a bit too loud for me).

But soon you'll see the best features of the thread. Some of our fine thumperers gives you a good insight.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #6395
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

WindScreen

By The Way

If anyone has a spare windscreen for Sr 42 let me know (to give or sell for a modest price).

I'm thinking of trying to do a better "touring" screen. Maybe something with two parts. But I'd like something to start with. Right now I have home made (plexiglass) screen but it could be better.

Morse
Old 03-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #6396
juss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
To continue the nordic conversation (as the guys in the south are obiously out on their bikes for the weekend) ;)

I had a ride today!!!!

it was -18C in the morning, maybe -12C for the time i took an XT600 for a spin, the snowbanks were taller than the bike, the road was totally icey and I found out it did not have rear brakes... Just great!

AS my 4yo son keeps explaining to everybody: "dad had the back wheel spinning as hell all the time, snow was flying everywhere, but the bike did not move that fast at all... The u-turn was pretty fast though..."

Yeah...

We heard a few dominators refusing to start in the circumstances, and then we saw a DR650R from 1990, with less than 10K km on the clock... everything just new all around... A deco click and it just fires up like a dream... All soooo clean, except the tank that had totally rusted up from the inside out of the 20 years of not being ridden and a dead rear shock absorber... That's all just like pissing into the snow, as we say. An OK tank is included in the deal too.

I'm not a fan of any brands (or let's say i'm a fan of all brands that have made good stuff), but we decided for the suzuki today. The deal was done and I know a man not far from here who won't be able to sleep tonight ;)

cheers, juss

juss screwed with this post 03-06-2010 at 03:53 PM
juss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #6397
Molgan
nub

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Juss,

Take some photos and give us some insight on the Yamaha test ride. Is it the new Tenere?

We don't get that one in the US so information is lacking.
Maybe I can help, as an ex DR800 driver currently riding a studded XTZ. =)

What I miss compared to my old 800: The engine! The thump, the grunt and the charisma. The 660 just aint got the same feeling. What it has is comfort, balance and a rock solid engine that never fails, no matter how I torment it it just keep on running. Was it worth the cost switching from a 800? I think so, but every time I hear a BIG running by I feel unsure..
Molgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #6398
zappa71
60.000 km BIG fun

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman59
Hi all, I learned to ride on a Dr Big 5 years ago and this winter I felt that I had to buy one again. I could ride it 1 time before snow fell and it was great. Found this forum with great people and great info.

The last 3 months I have been cleaning her up and doing some service, just finished with front forks, brakes, new wheel bearings and new rubber.

I really need another exhaust than stock, had a Laser Produro Sport on the first Big but it was a bit loud. Anyone with some info about the Laser Produro Legal system? Is it too quiet, will it improve performance?

//Sven
Hi Sven,

Welcom here

Got both Lasers, the sport gives a better pull and horse in combi wth a K&N airfilter.. also 104db at 5000rpm
And sound cheks are getting normal bevore a off road ride here in NL

The legal is 94db but lacks some torque at lower revs compared to the sport..
To get a bit more noice from the legal you can pull out the mase at the end of the noosle at the back of the Laser

Both models give me 170km/h on the GPS but the sport is there faster
Old 03-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #6399
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,830
Stefan,

You probably already have these photos. But, incase you don't, here are two that illustrate the mounting of that Kawasaki trip meter. They are obviously different but I do not know what bikes are in the photos.

A friend just sent me a large file of Dakar photos and I had not seen these before.

I hope this helps. Please post many photos of the Marlboro bike both unfinished and complete.

Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #6400
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
These are a couple of photo's of what the Western Australian Transport Department call a Custom Motorcycle manufactured in 2010.
I guess it doesn't really matter what they want to call it, everybody else in the world knows it's a 1991 Suzuki DR800S and it is now licensed and I can ride it on the road. And check out that plate.

Cheers.

ausibatla screwed with this post 03-09-2010 at 12:01 AM
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #6401
juss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Wheeee!!!! Year model 2010 - that's something that would put it's price skyhigh in our part of the world. ;)

It looks very good too - and the plate!!! In the circumstances i think it would have been even cooler if you had "custom motorcycle" on your plate.

Do you guys have to pay for choosing a licence plate combination? it was extremely expensive here, then in the end of '90-s it was totally FREE for about three years and then it became extremely expensive again - I guess it would cost at least as much as my bike.

cheers, juss
juss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:29 AM   #6402
drdave_2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Looks good Lloyd. Glad it all worked out. Happy to have helped. David
drdave_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:32 AM   #6403
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

Who did you have to f...k to get that plate. And it just happens that your country's numberplate design fits for the Big like a charm.

Why is it custom, because of the handlebars?

I second Juss on that manufacuring year - price talk. Our people have somehow grown a stupid habit of buing the manufacturing year and miles (actually km) on the odometer RATHER than looking at the overall state. This has led to a situation where A LOT of used cars have odometers that are tampered with. It's not so big problem with bikes though.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:37 AM   #6404
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

I hope that dave wasn't the one that helped you get that plate.

Are we ok with gay jokes here?!? Actually I'm quite tolerant on the minorities myself (I work in a theatre and my flatmate is a black guy) but my humor might get wierd.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:39 AM   #6405
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdave_2006
Looks good Lloyd. Glad it all worked out. Happy to have helped. David
G'day Dave,
I was just about to send you and email. I still will anyway 'cause there's a close up of your plate on my bike. I was beginning to think it would never happen. Thanks again.

For those that didn't know Dave was the owner of the DR800 plate and I had to get permission from him to let the licensing mob give it to me. Once you get the plate in Western Australia it's yours for life unless the holder gives it up.
Cheers.
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote