Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #6541
zappa71
60.000 km BIG fun

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
I'm assuming that the marks on the cams shaft align with both the casting on the head AND the TDC mark on the flywheel?

Basic, I know, but I've been thinking that you might be off by one tooth or so on the cam drive sprocket.
If the mark on the fly wheel is in line with the point on the engine cover and the cam chain tension-er is pushing against the cam chain [ or use your finger when its not set yet] and the lines on the camshaft are in line with the cilinder head it's set correct [ the lines on the cam shaft could be a bid tilted to the front of the engine when the cam chain is a bit worn ]
Old 03-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #6542
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,924
Not to criticize to harshly, but that top-box sticking way out and way up there looks like a sure way to turn the CBR into an evil handling wretch.

I've always thought carrying stuff in that location was NOT a good idea. The manufacturers spend millions on "mass-centralization" and then the owners go sticking some big pendulum type weight up and out as far as it will go....makes no sense to me.

It's a nice bike but, being an old fart, I recognize that fact that I would get into real trouble riding something like that. I rode a friends 1000 GSXR Suzuki for a few days and could never figure out why EVERYBODY was going so damn slow.....until I looked as the speedo.....YIKES.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #6543
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonstaBlokaz
I really got to think this trough, but I dont feel like offroadin anymore, atleast now. One guy has offered me his bike, in exchange 1:1. 2000 Honda CBR 600 F
IMHO bland ultrareliable light-ish sporttourer with neutral handling (very friendly and can be fast), quite empty midrange and no lowdown torque, average fuel economy etc. "get up and go" Honda with minimum problems.
I tried it quite a few times, also one of those accompanied us on long tour in french alps. Frankly speaking I did not like it at all, comparing to my old-ish Hornet it felt very boring and not very comfy, but that's me.
I do not have much possibility for offroading so I made quick-swap-kit for my DR to supermoto kind. Believe me, it feels sooo good to "burn" 600 in slightly bumpy and very twisty road.
But then I also have this:
Attached Images

bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:34 AM   #6544
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,824
Dannydoy 750,
The six pin male plug on a 750 cdi box part no 44B00 7Y14,
Looking at the back of the plug where wires go in with the clip at the top,
top left and centre are white with a blue trace,
top right has no wire but does have a male pin,
bottom left red with black trace,
bottom midle black with red trace,
bottom right black with white trace,
yes there is a wire black with white trace on its own it should have a female conection on it.
black with white trace from memory is earth,
from memory the orange and green wires go to starter soliniod but check first.

maybe the two white with blue trace wires need to be reversed but don,t blame me if it starts smokin
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:45 AM   #6545
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

I have been restoring a 87 transalp XL 600 V here is a pic I have pics of the rebuild but this is really a big site most of the time
Old 03-25-2010, 07:50 AM   #6546
Chanterman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
IMHO bland ultrareliable light-ish sporttourer with neutral handling (very friendly and can be fast), quite empty midrange and no lowdown torque, average fuel economy etc. "get up and go" Honda with minimum problems.
I tried it quite a few times, also one of those accompanied us on long tour in french alps. Frankly speaking I did not like it at all, comparing to my old-ish Hornet it felt very boring and not very comfy, but that's me.
I do not have much possibility for offroading so I made quick-swap-kit for my DR to supermoto kind. Believe me, it feels sooo good to "burn" 600 in slightly bumpy and very twisty road.
But then I also have this:
Again , with Bluesman on this . Get some pram wheels on and feel the difference. No off roading but a very different view of the DR and turn on a pin . Throw the bike any way with ease. A different ball game alltogether
Chanterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #6547
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Some pics of last weekend trip with friends

jabroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #6548
dannydoy 750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Thanks robmoto

DR s are very very very scarce in south africa so it wasnt like i could just go to a mates and check out the wires on the cdi.Will check it today.

The thing is i am getting spark but wasnt sure if it was in the right order (this was before I got my lesson on wasted spark from the guys on here)

Now that i know that it fires on every tdc Im not too worried about the cdi................unless....................if i did get those white and blue wires swapped around,could this by any chance cause a weaker spark?

My understanding of a cdi is either they work or they dont............but lately im not to sure about my theories anymore.

so again guys any input would be great.

P S This goes out to all the guys on the forum.

A year ago I bought a dr 750 with no knowledge about this bike whatsoever.I am now at the point where I can basically strip it down and rebuild it and do some faultfinding all because you guys took the time to teach and help me.

So thank you all very much and if any one is still in contact with 800 rider (as i dont see him around very much )give him a big thank you for a kick ass thread that he started so long ago.

Cheers

Daniel Vermaak
South Africa
Port Elizabeth
dannydoy 750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:50 PM   #6549
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Dannydoy is your plugs getting wet [ie] fuel on them after cranking and check valves are closed at top dead centre and not held open by decomp shaft you can look in with a torch when tappet cover is off from the oil cooler side, the arm on the decomp this is the bit the cable runs through on outside of the motor should be 1 millimetre of the head cover not touching it at all.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:01 AM   #6550
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
Jabroka, I am envious. Seriously. Argentina is one country where I want to live eventually. At least I got to ride through, just got to. I been figuring out how to take motorcycle riding vacation in Argentina since 2 years now, but still did not figure it out (money and time and accepting fact that I can't ship DR over).
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #6551
Chanterman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Looks very nice over there and plenty of open space, nice bikes. thanks for the pics
Chanterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #6552
zappa71
60.000 km BIG fun

Nice pics Jabroka!

I assume you're the owner of the blue Dr 800 and see you ride without the front fender.
There's a iron brace in the front fender what stiffens up your front fork, i now because when i bought my fist BIG it was without fender and brace..
The front is a bit wobbly with out it and steering on road and off road is more accurate with the brace.

I do like the BIG more without the fender so when dry i just put on the brace, when it's muddy i put on the fender to.. except in clay.. the the fenders fills up with clay and stops the front wheel

I have a original brace lying around but i think fore the postage cost you can let one made
Old 03-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #6553
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydoy 750
Hi there guys.Havnt been around lately cause I was busy hitting my head against a brick wall.

Thanks

Daniel
Daniel,
I've been holding off on bringing this up because it sounds so silly.
I bought myself a complete DR750 with 31000km on it because the previous owner spent 2 years trying to get it going and couldn't so he sold it just to be rid of the misery. He even bought a brand new fuel pump and put on it.
The problem was he, and his mate, had the vacuum line from the pump going to the breather on the carbies and the breather on the carbies going to the pump. I changed them over and even after 2 years the old girl started on about the third try. Then I rebuilt the carbies.
It may not be your problem but it has happened and nobody else has mentioned it. You never know.
Cheers.
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:25 AM   #6554
zappa71
60.000 km BIG fun

Hey, that's a good one!

Seen my part of hoses on wrong places to, on the fuel cock and the pump and carbs.

The vacium pump hose goes on the left carb on the 1989 and 1990 models,
then there's the 91 and up model where it goes on the right model [ but not always by the 1991, see them with left mounting to]
easy to feel which carb it is, you feel it pulsing air out of little pipe

zappa71 screwed with this post 03-27-2010 at 04:47 PM
zappa71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #6555
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,189
bump!

Haven't been in the thread much lately.

What's happenin' guys?
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond