Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #7201
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
I some times get asthma myself and open my helmet visor for the ram air effect it works even under 160klm
Yes riding with the side cut out of sr/41 not good, even moving your left knee in and out makes a difference when using vacume carbs, if you get some sponge and squease in, in front off air intake to stop the air rushing past it helps.
Stefan has used a dr650 air cleaner and maybe Nave allso in a modified airbox but not with vacume carbs, can you find out what carbs were on the bike you road. cheers.
It was my ex-garage-neighbour's bike. It was an Sr42 with Sr43's carbies. The filter was an universal TwinAir (we fitted it on the rubber part that connects the airbox with carbs when in stock-mode )

He didn't have any windstoppers and I remember he's bike didn't have the left foot affect (I do).

The RamAir discussion was very educational. Thanks!
And on top of it a cherry! Open your visor, it's as good as RamAir Robmoto! i'm LOL
morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #7202
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

HMM!!

But would an Sr43's airbox get me out of asthma???
I might have one in the garage. The friend who fitted the twinAir, doesn't need it anymore...

I've just bought a new element for my filterbox
How often you guys change the element?

EDIT: I'm trying to graduate university for the last months. And I can't go to the garage. So this here is my way of doing garage things right now. You are helping me a lot in my education.

morse screwed with this post 05-25-2010 at 11:06 AM
Old 05-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #7203
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
On SR43 underside of seat works as "tent" on top of filter intake.

At the end of the day - here you go: 2 people including me run SR43 with cutout filter and not a single problem in last 15000 km, I guess this should be satisfactory. And that includes "flat out" highway riding in Germany. And CRAZY sidewind in Denmark. And falling into mudholes. Etc. etc. etc.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #7204
dubweiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Cdi

heia all,

does any of u please have some information, where can i get a used or new CDI unit for a 1991 BIG. (seems like a price of a new one is approximately 200 euros?)

Joel
dubweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:26 AM   #7205
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by morse
HMM!!

But would an Sr43's airbox get me out of asthma???
I might have one in the garage. The friend who fitted the twinAir, doesn't need it anymore...

I've just bought a new element for my filterbox
How often you guys change the element?

EDIT: I'm trying to graduate university for the last months. And I can't go to the garage. So this here is my way of doing garage things right now. You are helping me a lot in my education.
YES, sr43 box will get you out of asthma I don.t know if it fits though and maybe if it does wirering and mounting of CDI and other bits of electrical may have to be relocated.
I change my filters when you carn,t see the sun light coming through when you hold it up to the sun and look in..
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:33 AM   #7206
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubweiser
heia all,

does any of u please have some information, where can i get a used or new CDI unit for a 1991 BIG. (seems like a price of a new one is approximately 200 euros?)

Joel
Used

1. www.ebay.de
2. www.bike-teile.de

Good luck! :)
Old 05-26-2010, 04:04 AM   #7207
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubweiser
heia all,

Joel
I think Zappa had a few for spare. How do you know it's the CDI you need? Just for useful info.

morse screwed with this post 05-26-2010 at 04:17 AM
Old 05-26-2010, 04:40 AM   #7208
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,480
Well my crashbars and pannier frames should arrive next week. I'm almost like a kid I can't wait for them. I have so much to do to the bike before I take it on a big ride in August. I would still love a centre stand to top it off. Its going to a screen manufacturer for a Rallye style screen and headlamp protector shortly so some photos will be posted when thats done.

By the way does anybody know of any other company than Riky Cross that makes a centre stand for a SR43?

Brendan J screwed with this post 05-26-2010 at 04:52 AM
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:58 AM   #7209
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

5stars. If you want I can send you drawings I took off that one on someones request. With simple basic pipe bender and stick welder you can make one.
I removed mine because with my height and weight central stand is no use for me.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #7210
zappa71
60.000 km BIG fun

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
I think Zappa had a few for spare. How do you know it's the CDI you need? Just for useful info.
Sorry, CDI is sold, also the rotor.

But have some other parts for sale for a SR43;

Wheel set
Front hub
Front Disc
Rear rim
Front fork
Head lamp
Engine parts like gear sprockets, cover, axles and so
Oil cooler
Auto decompression
Rear wheel rubber cushions
Front Brake reservoir complete
Rear light cover
Km drive unit
Some carb parts
Cylinder and head [ needs over haul ]
Fairing parts, original blue but spray painted dull black [ ugly]
And some more small stuff

No worry's, still have the 2 BIG's up and running
[ And a KTM Adventure in cross trim ]

zappa71 screwed with this post 05-26-2010 at 03:58 PM
zappa71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #7211
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Zappa!

Is it easy to explain three bikes that similar? I have Dr for road and 125KTM for occasional offroad (plus oldies and girlfriend bikes) But I'd really like to try a LC4 or LC8 for longer rides someday. Problem is they are the same as DR BUT I don't want to give the old guy up...

Like how often you ride each bike? Even my mx bike doesn't get used sometimes for months... I can't decide wether I'm a practical person or not

Kind to think of it many of the guys here have similar multiple bikes...
Old 05-27-2010, 04:58 AM   #7212
vilguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
lol i have

dr750
cr500
husquvarna wr250
aprilia mx125

then for long long rides - aprilia futura rst1000
and mille for fast fast rides

and a gilera runner 125 for going around the city *beep beep*

The ktm adventure lc8 is quite different to a big though...
vilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:55 AM   #7213
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,770
Sorry, KTM,s don,t count , love Robo
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #7214
zappa71
60.000 km BIG fun

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Hi Zappa!

Is it easy to explain three bikes that similar? I have Dr for road and 125KTM for occasional offroad (plus oldies and girlfriend bikes) But I'd really like to try a LC4 or LC8 for longer rides someday. Problem is they are the same as DR BUT I don't want to give the old guy up...

Like how often you ride each bike? Even my mx bike doesn't get used sometimes for months... I can't decide wether I'm a practical person or not

Kind to think of it many of the guys here have similar multiple bikes...
Yo Morse,

I'm a bit odd.. have no car license, love BIG thumpers and off roading
The BIG is a good reliable bike but how i abuse it it suffers, so when i moved out of a big city to a really small town near by i had to be sure i had always a running bike.
So next to the first BIG i got a second one, looking like crab [ spray painted dull black but technical fine..
So then i had a set of wheels on nobbys and one on road tyres

My first BIG is being modified on the suspension front and rear, air in and out take and so on and is ridden almost every day, the second is out insurance when i bought the KTM but a licence plate is easily swept

I bought the KTM Adventure because it's weight, its under the 150kg like i have it with a 20 liter tank and cross headlight.
Its reliable bike for a off road bike and i use it fore that, do 500km + a day some times going to a ride, going off road for 250km + and back home.

doing 10.000km a year like that would cost me to much on a lite enduro bike so the KTM was the best bike.

Can handle lots of km's, far better suspension, more horses on the rear wheel then the BIG on the crankshaft, better brakes and stiffer frame so better steering

So for hard off road riding, heavy train and easy handling it wins on the BIG..
But the BIG wins on comfort on the road, reliability, and is more a challenge to ride off road and so forcing me to get better at technical riding so there more fun

So the KTM is for the weekends doing the hard stuff, the BIG for commuting and the easier off road rides and BIG off road rides i do for the Dutch BIG club..

My first BIG i will keep as long as i can get my leg over its seat, the second one is for keeping the first running..
Done more than 75.000km on the BIG, the KTM is just about 2500 there is fun but no real love yet

I'm sorry to tell i have broken almost everything on the BIG but did repair all of it my self.. poor thing even lost its 3th gear on a dirt track but brought me home with out it
Old 05-28-2010, 01:00 AM   #7215
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

So!

My MX-Bike is like your Lc4 (difference is I do most of the riding on track and I have a race-track 500 meters from my house).

The big is a big (and your second one doesn't matter that much, since you even don't insure it)

And as Vilguy said Lc8 is a bit different form big... And Robmoto said KTM's doesn't count at all... So I might consider one (I'm just looking for excuses here ). But actually I can't see why I would ride both on road...

So! On a case of me getting angry at money one day and buying a bike that costs as much as my other 6 bikes put together. I should make the Big a flat out gravel-your-ass-off bike.

Bluesman once called the Lc8 a maintenance whore. I talked to the service guys, they didn't give me useful info. They said it needs as much service as other bikes. And about the older modles having problems with waterpump they said they haven't seen anyone in Estonia with that problem. Probably the owners change the shaft themselves.

I read a writing from a KTM factory mechanic, who suggested changeing the waterpump parts every 20K km!?!! He was talking about the 2003 models I think. That's not better than Dr Big... I like the riding position and the bike overall though.

If anyone want's me to shut up, just say so .
I'm looking for reasons not to deal with school things.