User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2009, 02:45 AM   #781
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,734
Wicked Megamoto

Really really really nice bike so smick can I ask where you got the bash plate sump protector and rider footpegs from they are very smick indeed .
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:49 AM   #782
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,809
More noobish questions

Who makes the longer windscreen shown in the last few photos?

Would you NZ guys please elaborate on the term "metal road". I think I know what it means but I keep picturing you guys riding on a bunch of curly, lathe turnings.

Ray
Davis, CA
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #783
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,101
The Puig screens are on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Windscreen-Pui...1%7C240%3A1318

I think the same guys do the stainless steel chainguard.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #784
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okta
Btw he is a former member of a metal band called Halor...check out this vid and guess what bikes in it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFHSuXKWo4g
That guy looks quite tall.

Now I'm worried I won't be able to get on the bike
IBA #40578

Old 03-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #785
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

luggage question:

Gaspipe has alu panniers on his 750, and MegaMoto has a full luggage set-up.

Any tips on pannier frames, bags, etc?
IBA #40578

Old 03-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #786
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Who makes the longer windscreen shown in the last few photos?

Would you NZ guys please elaborate on the term "metal road". I think I know what it means but I keep picturing you guys riding on a bunch of curly, lathe turnings.

Ray
Davis, CA
I know Hessler (how often has that name come up in this thread ?) make /supply tall screens.

Metal road = A grevel road, I think its called shingle in the states

here's one
[IMG][/IMG]

some are more dirt than gravel, depends if a grader has been through
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #787
miszterember
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Hi Okta.

It's a fine pic:)
What is on you hip???
A firefighter hipbag?
..othetside Welcome the Ténéré club Hungary The UK DR-BIG riders!!!
:)
Stefan from HTC.
miszterember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #788
NORTH RIDER
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
2 stupid questions

I AM NEW TO THUMPERS SO DO NOT KNOW A LOT ABOUT THEM .HERE ARE SOME STUPID QUESTIONS
1 ) STARTING PROCEDURE- this is what i did ,it did not work. turned gas on, pulled choke lever, pulled in clutch and decomp lever and held them both down while holding the starter button. did this many times always holding the clutch and decomp levers in. the starter turns and if feels like it is strong so i think the battery is good. the sarter spun but the motor never seemed to catch. any input.??? i tried pulling the decomp lever in and letting go .as soon as i hit the starter button it would click and then the starter would not turn 'till i decompressed again so i just held it down for a few seconds and tried it several times but no success.

2) I WOULD LIKE THE TALLEST SCREEN AVAILABLE ,SO WHICH MANUFACTURER MAKES THE BIGGEST?? also i have a 1988 750 can i use a later model dr800 screen??? let's say from a 91 or 92 model??

sorry if these sound stupid

thanks

north rider
NORTH RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #789
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
That guy looks quite tall.

Now I'm worried I won't be able to get on the bike
Check my photos about Norway somewhere in this tread :) I am shortarse and have no problem (I am 171-172 cm and not specifically long legs).

On luggage - I just bought cheap 5start racks and cheap old Givi panniers and have no problem. BUT being pain in the ar...e I naturally am of course I re-welded them for strenght, made front mount more reliable and made new rear "link" between left and right to go around my custom exhaust setup.
Pictures in this tread....on Norway trip...
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #790
Jack Rabbit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
[quote=NORTH RIDER]I AM NEW TO THUMPERS SO DO NOT KNOW A LOT ABOUT THEM .HERE ARE SOME STUPID QUESTIONS
1 ) STARTING PROCEDURE- this is what i did ,it did not work. turned gas on, pulled choke lever, pulled in clutch and decomp lever and held them both down while holding the starter button. did this many times always holding the clutch and decomp levers in. the starter turns and if feels like it is strong so i think the battery is good. the sarter spun but the motor never seemed to catch. any input.??? i tried pulling the decomp lever in and letting go .as soon as i hit the starter button it would click and then the starter would not turn 'till i decompressed again so i just held it down for a few seconds and tried it several times but no success.

2) I WOULD LIKE THE TALLEST SCREEN AVAILABLE ,SO WHICH MANUFACTURER MAKES THE BIGGEST?? also i have a 1988 750 can i use a later model dr800 screen??? let's say from a 91 or 92 model??

Sounds like your battery is weak. Big piston to push. You should pull the decomp and let it go then hit the starter. Bike should still turn over. When my battery gets weak it will only turn the motor over with the decomp in. Try boosting it of a car battery since you are probably in really cold weather right now which isn't helping your cause. It may also be hard to start becasue it's cold as well but should definately turn over.

If you hold the decomp lever in you are risking the piston coming in contact with an exhaust valve. I'm not exactly sure on the BIG but most decomps open the exhaust valve for decompression to occur if not all.

I can't comment on the windshield since mine doesn't have the original headlight windshield assembly although I do have all the parts. There is a place out of Vancouver that can get you parts for the BIG. I don't know about aftermarket stuff but original stuff for sure. That is if your dealer can't/won't get stuff for you. I don't have the name off hand but will get it for you.

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne
Jack Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #791
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH RIDER
I AM NEW TO THUMPERS SO DO NOT KNOW A LOT ABOUT THEM .HERE ARE SOME STUPID QUESTIONS

sorry if these sound stupid

thanks

north rider
You going to hate me now...but :) Is fuel petcock in ON or Reserve position? Did you check plugs?
I mean - check all usual stuff and do not forget that if bike stood for a while most probably petrol in carbs evaporated and until you pump in enough fuel into float chambers it will not start....

Screen from 800 will not fit 750 as far as I know....at least not without mods.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #792
Chanterman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
nORTH rIDER

deCOMP LEVER IN AND PRESS STARTER BUTTON.
After a few revs let the lever go whilst starter button still pressed . If battery in good shape with petrol and spark in chamber it will fire .Don`t rev it to death as engine will be cold but just coax it along

Join the clutch safety start wires as I don`t think you need them really aand you have enough to do for starting
Chanterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #793
morse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH RIDER
1 ) STARTING PROCEDURE
Hi NORTH RIDER!
I) The starting procedure is next:
1. Pull deco and release it again, it stays engaged
2. Pull down clutch.
3. Do NOT touch the throttle (the starter won't be able to turn over the compression stroke if you open the throttle. Same thing, if you try to pushstart)
4. push starter button
5. release the starter button if the engine is running, NOW you can open the throttle a little bit to get the engine running smoothly.

! depending on your bikes setup and the weather you sometimes need to use choke. Pulling the choke ON has the same problem as opening throttle - its harder to turn the engine that way, ESPECIALLY if you are just a little bit low on battery (or your trying to push the bike on wet tarmac)

SO what I do, when I need to use choke, is that I begin starting with choke OFF, then I release the deco and THEN I pull the choke ON for a second and then push it back OFF again - usually thats when the engine starts - so I open the throttle just a little bit and then pull the Choke ON again - now the engine gets the rich mixture suitable for a cold engine and starts to warm up ofcourse.

The last section is my and mine invention only - others can argue that. And this is usually needed if the battery isn't at top. And actually I usually don't need choke at all.

Another thing that I'd like to point out is that: in order to have the DR start fine it's good to have the IDLE SCREW adjusted just right and that can be done best with the engine running. If you set the idle to 2000 RPM for example, then it's hard to start the engine with low battery. I think that 1500 RPM should be OK to start the engine easily. And the right mixture setting (screws under the carbies) is important too for starting.

If you'd like to pushstart your bike, the steps are next:
1. DON'T use choke or throttle
2. switch to second gear
3. pull clutch and deco
4. start to push
5. release the clutch
6. release the deco
7. when the engine starts, pull clutch in again.

Good luck getting used to it!!!
The toomuchtalking Morse

morse screwed with this post 03-05-2009 at 03:28 PM
morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #794
Okta
rooky

Oddometer: 62
Hey, International Big Forum!

1. I'm not gonna advise you about the starting procedure, I guess it's already done. Weak battery could be the weak point, I'm just about to buy a new one. (Yuasa)
2. Hi Steve, nice to looking in here. (He is the 'engine' of the Hungarian Tenere Club http://www.tenere.hu )
3. Windscreen of DR800 does not fit on DR750. The tallest for 750 is avalaible by Five Stars and by Givi, if I remember correct. Try to get one from e-bay, EUR80-100 is a usual price. Btw I'm not sure, that the tallest windscreen is always the best, you have to carefull about the streams behind it. E.g. I had a Five Stars touring screen on my first DR750 and it was OK for my chest (less push on it) but my helmet became more noisy. Also you can try these attached small screen (like vario-screen).
4. I'm 175cm but seat height is OK, I mean I can live with that. Once I can jump on it I feel like the Ruler of the Word...
5. I was thinking about s/m wheels few years ago but I realised that I can lean the bike with quality rubbers good enough for public roads, so I will keep my 21" (I'd rather upgrade the front brakes...my idea is to use KLE500 front forks with wheels and brake.)
Old 03-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #795
ppe172
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
I'll chime in with my two cents. I pretty much agree with what Jack Rabbit said, and disagree with a couple of other suggestions. This is how I start mine.

1: Turn on gas.

2: Pull choke out all the way (I don't see why this would make it harder to turn over, it's not like opening the throttle where you get more air volume and hence more compression, it just opens a passage to allow more fuel) and if it's cold it isn't going to start without the choke.

3: Pull in decompression lever and immediately let go. You don't need to hold it open, and I wouldn't think that holding it open would be good for it for a couple of reasons. (IMHO).

4: Pull in clutch.

5: Push starter.

How much gas is in it? It has a vacuum fuel pump and if the gas is low and the pump isn't working well maybe you're not getting any/enough fuel.
ppe172 is offline   Reply With Quote