Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #841
Letsgo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Ah! I have question to you too! Need advice...since I am not Belgian sometimes it is difficult to find my way around.
I have laced front wheel to 17 inch finally back using Husaberh hub, I have alinged spacers etc. etc., put it all together and I must admit that I have no strenght left and very much fed up with truing that wheel - radial and lateral play adjustment. Do you know place/shop in Belgium that I can bring that wheel to and get it all aligned and set up spokes tension etc.? I really do not even know where too look :( and today's work on house in combination with 6 hours of trying to get wheel right killed my enthusiasm - last time I trued spoked wheel was about 10 years ago. I gave up and willing to pay but have no idea where or how...may be you know place?
Thats a hard one, dont know such a place myself, but i will call a friend, maybe he will. Did you asked the mechanic of the local suzuki dealer?, that guy (rudi) must know some adresses?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #842
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo21
Thats a hard one, dont know such a place myself, but i will call a friend, maybe he will. Did you asked the mechanic of the local suzuki dealer?, that guy (rudi) must know some adresses?
Ah! Did not think of that -thanks for tip! Will ask - I know him, so no problem :) But if you find anything - please let me know! :)
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #843
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
DR750 info

G'day members, first thread and needed help to do that.
I live in Western Australia and just bought a 1988 DR750 in pretty good nick. I'd never heard of any single bigger than a Norton 600 until my son got a DR650 and then found out about the 750 and 800. Couldn't find a 800 and most Suzuki dealers hadn't heard of anything bigger than the 650. Anyhow, I consider myself lucky to find a 750 in so short a time. Only problem was seized starter clutch and that's on its way from the land of the rising sun. The bike cost $1400 and is lisensed. Then I knocked it over in the workshop and smashed the fairing visor. Anybody know where I can pick one up I'd appreciate it. Would also like advice on lowering the bike so at least one foot can reach terra firma. Generally, any advice would be great.
Love them big singles.
Cheers,
ausibatla

ausibatla screwed with this post 03-08-2009 at 07:56 PM Reason: spelling error
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:38 AM   #844
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Welcome ausibatla the boys will come along soon to give you techo advice also dont worry about spelling in your post were not picky like that

ray rev congrates on picking up bike , liked your little road test comments , Im into that kind of thing,

Im running conti escapes but cant tell u if there any good or not as I ride motard style and so if I dont have my foot out most tires seem funny to me , my main impression would be that I think the rear rim is to narrow and that the tire fails away on the edges to much,but Im really a dirt rider and dont understand road bike handling much, all I knows is when it comes to tight corners foot out and Bye Bye ,

Allso my Brakes seem Ok perhaps because there in good nick as previos owner replaced Disk and pads before I purchased or maybe its that Dirt bike thing again ??
I dont rev My Dr though I note with the Load pipe it seems to Bang up against the rev limiter on soft surfaces if your in to low a Gear so your probable right about the power delivery, cant say Ive ridden anything with more low end thump than the DR which makes it good for passing ,

Id Agree they seem to cover a middle ground Ive Ridden a Tennier and as you said its all top end with no brakes, Rode a KTM 990 SM the other day but gave it back before it killed me and sent me to Jail with no Liscence, so I think the DR is a good middle ground Bike as you said and they;ve got heeps of Character,Also everone looks at them in bewidlerment and says is it really a 750/800 single

MCmad screwed with this post 03-09-2009 at 01:50 AM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:24 AM   #845
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider
ray rev congrates on picking up bike , liked your little road test comments , Im into that kind of thing,

Id Agree they seem to cover a middle ground Ive Ridden a Tennier and as you said its all top end with no brakes, Rode a KTM 990 SM the other day but gave it back before it killed me and sent me to Jail with no Liscence, so I think the DR is a good middle ground Bike as you said and they;ve got heeps of Character,Also everone looks at them in bewidlerment and says is it really a 750/800 single
Yup, I think the bike will like some rough treatment

About the looks, I did notice a few other bikers doing double-takes. Could tell they were thinking 'what the hell is that?'
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:25 AM   #846
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
DR definitely is a bit of misconception - most people think it is really low-revving sump of metal, but in fact it is 2-kind of motor in one. Exactly same as VTR I have - simple and big torque low down, but slow revving. Until (on DR) you hit 4000. Then it superresponsive. Flatslide pumper carbs change it - it will be superresponsive everywhere.
One thing...I think your rear shock might be also incorrectly set up preload-wise. Why I think so - because you can flat-foot your DR. Earlier in this tread I posted factory settings for preload - check it up.
The shock is at 244. I can't flat-foot it, I have to shuffle in the saddle. I'm quite heavy, so I think that compresses the shock as well.
IBA #40578

Old 03-09-2009, 02:37 AM   #847
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Ah, OK - got it now. Yep, that's same way I can reach ground on my.
BTW - what color is shock spring on your DR? Is it black? Black = good, that's small "factory upgrade" :) of SR43 vs. SR42 and SR41 - stiffer spring. Just differently treated material, size is same.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:44 AM   #848
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Ah, OK - got it now. Yep, that's same way I can reach ground on my.
BTW - what color is shock spring on your DR? Is it black? Black = good, that's small "factory upgrade" :) of SR43 vs. SR42 and SR41 - stiffer spring. Just differently treated material, size is same.
Ooh, I don't know. I'll check later. There's a UK company advertising shock refurbs on ebay for 90. That might be an option too.
IBA #40578

Old 03-09-2009, 06:47 AM   #849
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,828
Re spoke

After hitting a rock on my DR650 and flat spotting it I bought a excell front rim it came undrilled so I drilled it myself using 1 small bit for pilot hole then larger one to suit nipples, After laceing the wheel I put the nipples on all exackly the same amount of turns untill there was a bit off tension on them , Then I put the wheel back in the bike, using a oil can as a pointer on the ground with the tip as a pointer set just of the rim spin the wheel now you can see if it needs fine tuning , if buckell in wheel loosen that side and tighten other side the same amount of turns eg, 1 third and 1 third doing smaller amount to the ends of buckle wheel is now true,Now measure between fork legs and wheel should be the same on both sides if not loosen all nipples on smallest measurement side by say 1 turn and do up other side by one turn untill the wheel to fork measurements are the same the wheel is now centred,Ok now tension all spokes the same amont if half a turn on one then half a turn on all ,Now drag back of finger nails over spokes should make a nice ringing sound if not tension some more flex in the wheel should now be gone, there will allways be a very slight flat spot where they join the rim regards, Rob
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:59 AM   #850
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,828
Giday

Hi ausibatla
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #851
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
After hitting a rock on my DR650 and flat spotting it I bought a excell front rim it came undrilled so I drilled it myself using 1 small bit for pilot hole then larger one to suit nipples, After laceing the wheel I put the nipples on all exackly the same amount of turns untill there was a bit off tension on them , Then I put the wheel back in the bike, using a oil can as a pointer on the ground with the tip as a pointer set just of the rim spin the wheel now you can see if it needs fine tuning , if buckell in wheel loosen that side and tighten other side the same amount of turns eg, 1 third and 1 third doing smaller amount to the ends of buckle wheel is now true,Now measure between fork legs and wheel should be the same on both sides if not loosen all nipples on smallest measurement side by say 1 turn and do up other side by one turn untill the wheel to fork measurements are the same the wheel is now centred,Ok now tension all spokes the same amont if half a turn on one then half a turn on all ,Now drag back of finger nails over spokes should make a nice ringing sound if not tension some more flex in the wheel should now be gone, there will allways be a very slight flat spot where they join the rim regards, Rob
Well, I did it in similar way, got offset right, but no matter what I seem to have about 2 mm radial play and 2 mm side play. Since rim is not brand new it is difficult to tell if it is really play or "lip" of rim a bit bent. Also, since it is really wide rim side play also have serious effect on radial play. And doing both at same time is a bit too much for me :)
So I made template that I taped to forks and I can see radial play of middlge section, "step" on the wheel and side play on "vertical" part of that step. There I get 2 mm play, but mostly because I think I am getting fed up an loosing patience :) it was long build already, so :)
I just thought if I can pay a bit and get that done - why not, I still have work to do
Old 03-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #852
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Footpegs

Are these the OEM ones?

IBA #40578

Old 03-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #853
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Ray that looks like them

Pic, DR after a hard days work with conti:s showing there teeth, Bike in alter Ego with tank covers off for that mean look
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #854
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Luggage Mounting

Any out there that fit w/out major mods?

Someone mentioned the 5-star; the XTZ used them, and they are pretty rare.
IBA #40578

Old 03-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #855
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

5stars fit, they just not strong in my opinion - so I modded them.
Then there is Hepco and Becker - Hessler have them
And there is Ricky Cross - Hessler have those too. No mods required.
I'd spend a bit extra and go for Ricky Cross. Genius design of mounting points.