User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #12916
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,760
Oh dear, what have I done?

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #12917
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
I love a torquey big bore four stroke & currently ride a KLR which I love but, like any KLR owner I find myself wanting more. I'm not overly mechanical & was wondering if there's a reason no one has ever made a 1000cc four stroke single with a nice wide ratio six speed tranny?

This would seem like the perfect bike to me unless there's a limiting factor to how big you can go with a single thumper. Is there a point were increased displacement in a single gives diminishing returns & if so why? If such a beast was made would any of you DR 750 & 800 guys want one?
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #12918
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,827
Quote:
Oh dear, what have I done?
Locked yourself into tarmac travel only....nice bike though..something I'd buy. They can stuff all that Canbus crap.

Quote:
If such a beast was made would any of you DR 750 & 800 guys want one?
I'm no mechanical engineer, but I think the rate of "flame" travel across a piston has some limiting factors.

Particularly with the rubbish they call fuel these days.

I'd only want one if it has a beak
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #12919
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Weekend project

After a week or so with the GPR silencer, I was ready to try the GSXR 1000 silencer I've had for a few weeks. (I finally used it Hielke!)

Spent Saturday morning trying this and trying that. I decided the most efficient thing to do was to use the mid-pipe that came with the GPR. I had the local muffler shop build an adapter pipe that slid tightly over the end of the GPR bit and a few brackets to mount the springs. The can mount lined up almost perfectly with the right rear grab handle bolt so I use that as mounting point.

I like the sound of this silencer even better than the GPR. It's much deeper with more bass and a bit quieter. The harsh popping on hard acceleration through the mid-range is much reduced.

It's also all metal and will not require any re-packing over time. Overall, I'm well pleased. I think it's a "keeper"

My new DR800 is due to arrive tomorrow....(hopefully)

Ladder106 screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 06:54 PM
Old 05-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #12920
Jimmythechiz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
First longish ride of the season

Hi all.
Got my dr cleaned up a bit,sandblasted, painted and installed my better condition exhaust,changed out bars for some wider,flatter ones and made a set of soft bag carrier-standoffs.Re-built forks to standard specs......much better.New grips too!.Took it out for 465km trip,hit miserable weather.Hail,rain,wind.Rode to Quesnel,then over to Barkerville.Snow on the roadsides and snow on any sideroad that hadn't been plowed.Returned to Quesnel to fuel,wasn't sure what to expect. Went 287.5km on 12.48 liters.Heated vest was the only thing that made the trip even possible,and the bike didn't seem to mind the draw.
Next time I go,I'll bring a goldpan.....maybe I can pay the fuel cost with any gold I get? (Barkerville was a big gold rush town way back)
Jimmythechiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #12921
Jimmythechiz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Forgot to mention,the other day I saw a place called " Raider motorsports" based in Coffs Harbour,Australia that has a dr800 based supermono racer for sale,and they also mention in the ad copy that the have a tuning kit for the bike that gives 855cc and 75hp.Sounds good for any of you guys there?
Jimmythechiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:51 AM   #12922
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
After a week or so with the GPR silencer, I was ready to try the GSXR 1000 silencer I've had for a few weeks. (I finally used it Hielke!)

Spent Saturday morning trying this and trying that. I decided the most efficient thing to do was to use the mid-pipe that came with the GPR. I had the local muffler shop build an adapter pipe that slid tightly over the end of the GPR bit and a few brackets to mount the springs. The can mount lined up almost perfectly with the right rear grab handle bolt so I use that as mounting point.

I like the sound of this silencer even better than the GPR. It's much deeper with more bass and a bit quieter. The harsh popping on hard acceleration through the mid-range is much reduced.

It's also all metal and will not require any re-packing over time. Overall, I'm well pleased. I think it's a "keeper"

My new DR800 is due to arrive tomorrow....(hopefully)
Ray good job and looks great and is where a muffler should be, nice and high and in close as possible.
OK now don,t forget pic,s of the new bike when it arrives .
I too have been playing with mufflers I sent a PM to Resi / lars as I could not read the German ebay to bid for me on this , Its a old arrow exaust and just needed a good polish with mothers all metal polish.
After installing I started her up and it idles fairly quite but when free reving is loud , when riding its not loud but makes a nice sound.
Seeing I took off the back foot pegs I lost the lower mount so I made 3mm ally one and works well.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:59 AM   #12923
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Jimmythechiz, thanks for the link for us blokes down under 75 hp .
Hey the next time you go to the goldfields can you show us and me some pic,s of the area and what you find thanks I new you would .
Old 05-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #12924
snocross
carbikesledboatrockaholic

Oddometer: 69
Problems with start button...

I have had problems with start button past weeks. There was no ignition when the start button was pressed lightly, but it did start if i pushed it hard. Today it did not start at all.

Any ideas?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #12925
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Rob,

That one looks great. There is supposed to be a DEVIL brand exhaust that is no longer sold in France and Germany but I've not seen any on ebay.de.

BigBob over at www.drbit.info sez that these were the best pipes for the DRs but I've never seen one.

Bluesman was right about volume inside the pipe. The GSXR silencer has probably 3 times the internal volume than the GPR pipe and it's much more pleasing to hear.

Quote:
is where a muffler should be, nice and high and in close as possible
Thanks I tried to get it to parallel the "line" of the seat/sidepanel seam and also inboard as much as possible. I've got about 10mm gap between the inside of the can and the rear tire at full compression of the rear.

Quote:
Seeing I took off the back foot pegs
I've done the same. Dunno if the 800 pegs are lighter but the pillion pegs for the 750 weigh a TON! Now I'm not one of these "weight weenies" but I think you could lift the entire machine with the pillion pegs that Suzuki provides.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 08:30 AM
Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #12926
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
There was no ignition when the start button was pressed lightly, but it did start if i pushed it hard.
If it truly is dependent on the pressure you put on the button, I'd advise taking the right switch gear apart and cleaning the switch.

After that - working downstream - it's the starter relay and then the starter motor. There is also a decompressor interface and even a sidestand switch (which is an evil "lowest common denonimator" device and should be defeated on any motorcycle) wired in there at some point that deserves a look.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #12927
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Rob Breaks his Piggybank

OK, Rob. Here is is the nee-ultimate-brand-spankin'-new-never been used-bike of your wildest dreams.

No right minded DR collector can be without this piece.

I just have to post the entire article for all to read and drool over

Harris 800
This is for all those with an interest in something different as well as exceptionally rare!!

We are now able to offer one of only 6 Harris 800 Singles ever build. This specific Suzuki powered Harris custom bike is one of 6 bikes ever built using the Harris performance Components in combination with the Suzuki DR800 powerplant.

Harris of England, well known for their Magnum frame series bikes, as well as for a multitude of Japanese and Italian engined custom bikes, decided upon a project in the early 90’s to put all their expertise into the design, construction and building of 6 ultra-limited Harris Suzuki 800cc Single cylinder bikes. They designed a frame, swing-arm and bodywork set to be fitted out with the largest production based single cylinder engine which at the time was the Suzuki DR800cc, AKA Dr Big.

With over 50 h.p. in stock configuration, this project would provide the ultimate super-light sport-bike experience when mated to an ultra-light-weight Harris Reynolds tubing frame and GP-style aluminium swing-arm. Using Suzuki RGV250 wheels and upside-down forks & triple clamps, a purpose built fully adjustable high-end Ohlins rear-shock were combined with 6-piston billet calliper front brake system and a CNC-machined rear-calliper on the rear, giving this exceptional motorcycle unheard of performance for a single-cylinder, street-legal road-bike.

This Harris 800 Single is brand new; it has never had fuel in the tank although the engine has been dyno ran. The engine, electrics and other components were all sourced brand-new at the time of construction, but due personal circumstances of the previous owner the bike was only 95% finished. The project has remained stored in a dry, warm basement, never to be seen again until now (spring 2012) when we acquired it from a relative of the late owner.

We are now able to offer this extremely rare Harris 800, including the benefit of allowing the final colour and setup of the bike to be decided by the new owner i.e., as a sport-bike with the original Harris half-fairing, or as it is seen here, in naked Super-Moto appearance with top-mounted tapered handle-bars and a round headlight.

If you are interested in owning the only Harris 800 Single in Australia please contact us for an in-depth conversation as to how we could finish this motorcycle to fit your personal taste.

Furthermore, we can also offer a tuning-kit for this bike that increases engine capacity to 855cc, and increases performance to approximately 75 hp. Comparable to the famous Ducati Supermono in performance and specification, but available at a fraction of the cost. While the Supermono is built for competition-use only, this bike is 100% street legal; the ultimate street-fighter.

Price upon request by principals only, please.

$0.00Price:
Gallery

More photos here:....and BTW this is a great website. I'm not much for retro-bobber bikes but these guys have a way of doing this correctly IMHO>

http://raidermotorsport.com.au/produ...ki/harris-800/

Ladder106 screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 08:48 AM
Old 05-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #12928
snocross
carbikesledboatrockaholic

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
If it truly is dependent on the pressure you put on the button, I'd advise taking the right switch gear apart and cleaning the switch.

After that - working downstream - it's the starter relay and then the starter motor. There is also a decompressor interface and even a sidestand switch (which is an evil "lowest common denonimator" device and should be defeated on any motorcycle) wired in there at some point that deserves a look.
Thanks Ladder

I opened that switch today and was amazed that how the hell did they get so many wires in such a small space... I try to clean that switch tomorrow. Also the wires looked really bad.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #12929
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Ray, the harris doesn,t do much for me, why you ask well I allready got one with 3 spoke mag wheels and a chrome frame, and I got pumpers and the Harris hasn,t and a better seat too.
The thing I an,t got is the strocker crank shaft or does a 110 mm piston make it 855, but I do have 2 yes 2 108mm pistons one for the tard and one for yella terra and allso a 800 crank for the yella fella and a few bits for the blue one
Old 05-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #12930
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Aha.....I think I'm guessing your strategy.

but I don't think selling off those bits (tasty as they are) are gonna get you a bike for which they don't even post the price () .

The SR43 arrived late yesterday but it's not house-broken yet. I think all the bouncing around in transit sloshed fuel out of the bowls and onto the air cleaner element.

Combine that with our first 90 deg (F...so 32) day with a strong N wind (my garage door opens to the North) and Carole was shouthing about the kitchen smelling like a petrol station.

Had to put the new bike out back. Pulled the air cleaner (wow, that's much easier on the 43 than on the 41) and will let it sit while I'm at the Firehouse until Thursday so it can learn some manners.

Will take some family photos then.

It runs very strongly but I can never leave well-enough-alone so I'll likely be taking it down to the frame for a ground-up refinish. The frame has a bit of surface rust (thanks to its life in Florida) and a few fasteners are furry and the spokes should be replaced (all things were disclosed by the PO so no surprises).

At least now I can discover first-hand if the 43 airbox can be crammed into a 41 frame....same with the windscreen.

One of Resi's headlight kits is likely making the US customs inspectors scratch their collective heads right now since it seems to be taking about 3 weeks to get here. That along with a relay kit from Jim @ Easternbeaver and I'll have dual healamps on the 41. So finishing the 41's the next project.

Then I'll see how much of the 43 I can scatter over my garage in bits and begin to line the pockets of the local powder coater and painter. (BTW, what do you all like better for frame finishing...?? Paint or Powdercoat?)

Off to work now...Have to try to keep silly idiots from paying the ultimate price for their leaning experiences.