Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #13621
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,139
Absolutely. Any time as of next week - I will come. Since selling DR I done 7000+ on Tiger - been to Norway with 15 bikes, ride was total success and spent some time in Normandy...so I have few stories apart from Morocco :)

Are you going to Intermot? I'll be there on Saturday...
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #13622
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,803
Quote:
Photos, please
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #13623
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Absolutely. Any time as of next week - I will come. Since selling DR I done 7000+ on Tiger - been to Norway with 15 bikes, ride was total success and spent some time in Normandy...so I have few stories apart from Morocco :)

Okay, lets see if we get a date fixed for Horrem round table.
I was planning to go to Intermot, but unfortunately I have a paramedic skill enhancement this weekend and there's no way to go to Cologne on thursday or friday... :(

Stefan's DR ZETA is shown at Suzuki's... ;)

Cheers,
Lars
Resi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #13624
mait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Intermot

Make sure you don't miss Suzuki's stand

Edit: Lars was quicker than me
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #13625
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Photos, please
Yes, Sir! Will be done :)
We will have couple of "people with big expensive cameras that taking photos of everything" with us, so when all compiled I will post links to galleries.
My focus is luggage solutions, seats, new KTM, BMW, Strom, Street Tripple and Multistrada. But I usually boringly meticulous in visiting every boot to see what they do.
As mandatory - we also go to "caferacers corner" and of course Stefan's Zeta and "Dakar corner" where they put ex-dakar race machines from as far ago as 80s.

Intermot is huge and interesting, so I can't wait. Really. Just can't wait. Plus we meet with at least 10-15 our "russian speaking motorcyclists in Western Europe community" friends from France and Germany.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:57 AM   #13626
Silent Hunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
Looks like all DR bigs now use this number 5820044B02 for the clutch cable SR41/42/43. get one from suzuki.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spen View Post
DR 650 ,freewind and a few others ,best to check with BOB on here to be sure
http://www.drbig.info/forum/
check your clutch cable isn"t sticking and holding the clutch on when the lever is released ,this seems a common fault and only needs the cable lubed
Thanks for the tip Robmoto & Spen.

That should save me a bundle in shipping if I need to replace my clutch cable.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #13627
CTMC
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Canadian parts availability

Hi there,

long time lurker but have a question for any Canadian DR owners. How is parts availability through Suzuki Canada for the DR? I am debating whether I should restore my 88 over the winter.....

Thanks for any input!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #13628
Puddle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
@ CTMC. Let me first introduce myself, Puddle from Toronto, 1988 DR750. I've had no problems ordering parts from Suzuki here but to do it you must have the part number. The dealers have not loaded the specifications in there inventory systems because there were only 36 ever sold in Canada. However, they can look them up and get them. I've recently purchased new carb parts and choke. You will find that some are in Canadian inventory and some are brought in after you order. Best to check before you take a part off.
Puddle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #13629
Jimmythechiz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Canadian parts

I've been using Modern Motorcycling on Commercial drive in vancouver. They were pretty sure they had sold my '89 brand new.They seemed to have good parts interchange knowlege and were tried to find good used parts first before ordering new.(And they mentioned they had lots of Dr750 parts in stock,brand new still)I havent tried my local suzuki dealer,but he says with the part number..etc etc etc.
Jimmythechiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #13630
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Intermot photos - as promised. Last few photos in album not from there (ones with blue DR800)

http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/r..._ip/?start=all
Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #13631
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,803
New stuff

Thanks very much, Bluesman.

Some observations on your observations.

The Blue Garmin DR750 still looks great even sitting with all the modern stuff. Any idea what windscreen was on this bike. It appears to flare out a bit at the bottom. I'd like to find one like that.

The Honda Dakar (450?) bike looks very nice. Sadly this will never be built for us.

Honda (and others) still don't understand (NC700) that exhaust pipes do not function as bash plates.....or maybe they really don't expect you to take the bike off-road...not really.

BMWs new water cooled bike looks interesting but doesn't that rather negate the whole "boxer" concept in the first place? How long can we beat this horse if it really is dead?

Is Honda brining back a "classically designed" CB750...If so...I'm for it !

Custom Harleys all look like.....well.....Custom Harleys....yawn.

Triumphs experimentation with sharply angled bodywork is doomed. Rather reminds me of the italian designed cars of the 80s that were all square and sharp corners with square headlights....they just look dated now. Whereas the more "rounded" designs (Africa Twin SR500s the old cafe racers etc) still look at least contemporary. (Oh, I would have happily loaned that Africa Twin owner the correct right side panel for the show. I'd be embarrassed to include something like this...unless it has some vintage race value or something)

OK...Ohlins forks are great but just slapping all that GOLD onto any bike regardless of other paint and bodywork just looks tacky..Why not a large glowing neon sign that sez I HAVE OHLINS with a big arrow....blahhh.

Many thanks for all the wonderful photos. I'll have to take another hours or so to go through them all again.

......and YEP, your Big still looks great even with all the other "bling" from the show.....
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #13632
stefan rb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik Le Ray View Post
Hi Guys i now have a set of original rear tanks check it out what do you think we will be having some more sets made for our bikes

cool job - you have the bike ready yet?

and the home of DR BIG:
www.dr-big-shop.de
stefan rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #13633
stefan rb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mait View Post
Make sure you don't miss Suzuki's stand

Edit: Lars was quicker than me
and quicker than me ;-)

and the home of DR BIG:
www.dr-big-shop.de
stefan rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #13634
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Thanks very much, Bluesman.

Some observations on your observations.

The Blue Garmin DR750 still looks great even sitting with all the modern stuff. Any idea what windscreen was on this bike. It appears to flare out a bit at the bottom. I'd like to find one like that.

The Honda Dakar (450?) bike looks very nice. Sadly this will never be built for us.

Honda (and others) still don't understand (NC700) that exhaust pipes do not function as bash plates.....or maybe they really don't expect you to take the bike off-road...not really.

BMWs new water cooled bike looks interesting but doesn't that rather negate the whole "boxer" concept in the first place? How long can we beat this horse if it really is dead?

Is Honda brining back a "classically designed" CB750...If so...I'm for it !

Custom Harleys all look like.....well.....Custom Harleys....yawn.

Triumphs experimentation with sharply angled bodywork is doomed. Rather reminds me of the italian designed cars of the 80s that were all square and sharp corners with square headlights....they just look dated now. Whereas the more "rounded" designs (Africa Twin SR500s the old cafe racers etc) still look at least contemporary. (Oh, I would have happily loaned that Africa Twin owner the correct right side panel for the show. I'd be embarrassed to include something like this...unless it has some vintage race value or something)

OK...Ohlins forks are great but just slapping all that GOLD onto any bike regardless of other paint and bodywork just looks tacky..Why not a large glowing neon sign that sez I HAVE OHLINS with a big arrow....blahhh.

Many thanks for all the wonderful photos. I'll have to take another hours or so to go through them all again.

......and YEP, your Big still looks great even with all the other "bling" from the show.....
What I will say now will probably make lot of "Beasts" section guys angry, leave alone Katoomers and Beemers and Hondofils and even Stromers...but
This is all MY opinion only, my impressions and please if you offended just skip it :)

1. In my opinion Stefan's Zeta still best dual sport on that Suzuki stand on Intermot. Specially after seeing supposedly new concept Strom 1000. I can make that "concept" in my garage.
2. In my opinion KTM just closed door on one of craziest and best bike they ever had. I did not like 1190 a bit. It looks underdeveloped, rough, lots of stuff sticking out yet it still not half as comfy as Multistrada and for me - almost impossible to stand on. It is on GS territory. Big Katom legend is dead to me. They confirmed production of 990 Adventure stopped forever about month ago.
3. I loved what BMW did with new GS. I think they finally dropped over engineered, long in tooth and far from optimal (in effects to drive and chassis) motor and made superb bike. IMO better job than KTM.
4. I fell in love with new Triumph Street Tripple. No, I won't buy it. But old one was good (ridden it) and this one just up my alley - small like Duke 690 and totally hooligan machine if motor is not worse than old one.
5. I still do not like Explorer 1200.
6. I still think that Thunderbird 1600 are better cruiser than any Harley and cooler too.
7. I think that Kawasaki Z800 is one of most horrible and ugly Kawasaki creatures. I think that every old customized Zed I seen there looks miles better than any new of their bikes.
8. I still think that panigale 1190 is incredibly gorgeous. And Multistrada pushing boundaries of tech way ahead of everyone else with that new tech for active suspension. But I won't ever buy it. Too much gimmicks.
9. I think that Honda Crosstourers etc. are boring and uninspiring bikes with budget suspension and brakes and are not suitable for any offroad whatsoever. Photos from underneath with visible cat etc. - those are from crosstourer.
10. That "retro" is Honda CB1100, new bike. And I think this is very nice simple UJM that was missed for a while.
11. I still think that NC700 series is buzz killer and motorcycling shall not be all about fuel economy at costs of fun.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #13635
CTMC
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle View Post
@ CTMC. Let me first introduce myself, Puddle from Toronto, 1988 DR750. I've had no problems ordering parts from Suzuki here but to do it you must have the part number. The dealers have not loaded the specifications in there inventory systems because there were only 36 ever sold in Canada. However, they can look them up and get them. I've recently purchased new carb parts and choke. You will find that some are in Canadian inventory and some are brought in after you order. Best to check before you take a part off.
Hey Puddle, I moved to Cape Breton from T.O., my DR is from Toronto originally but not many people know what they are out here. Even the dealer had no clue.

I have stripped the bike down and I am in the process of cleaning/blasting the frame before repainting and piecing it back together. The electrics were molested by the previous owner so that's where I have to replace/repair. The tanks are rough as well as some other bits but all in all its complete. Just needs love now!

Thanks for the info Jimmy. If I have trouble out here, I will look at getting parts thru them.

Cheers!