Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #1351
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausibatla
I must point out though to all you blokes that like Iron maiden. ROCK & ROLL HAS BEEN GOING DOWN HILL SINCE BUDDY HOLLY DIED!!
That's why I mostly listen to Pink Floyd, old Genesis with Gabriel and some Led Zep.
Is all your life will ever be"

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:21 AM   #1352
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Ray_rev, check it out with guy selling - see, it says KLX650R forks. R, not C. R forks are quite a lot better than C forks and fully adjustable. If you can snap it - it would be more than good upgrade.
Yes, they are the R forks, and now they belong to me . Should be here next week, though it's going to take me a while to get them fitted (not a job I feel confident doing myself really).
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:30 AM   #1353
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
Yes, they are the R forks, and now they belong to me . Should be here next week, though it's going to take me a while to get them fitted (not a job I feel confident doing myself really).
Do you also have the klx front wheel?
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:34 AM   #1354
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
Do you also have the klx front wheel?
Um, no. Should I?
IBA #40578

Old 04-08-2009, 02:45 AM   #1355
MCmad OP
Banned

Oddometer: 7,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMaidenFan

Thanks Ray

Yes, I do refer to Iron Maiden :) They have just finished an amazing world tour!

It seems the DR world is getting bigger and stronger despite them not being built for over 15 years now. (not sure sure how long they kept on with the 800's like yours, to be honest)

Anyway, here she is... and only 20 years old !! :)

Cheers
Welcome DRmaidenfan and Congratulations as you are our 50Th DRBIG OWNER to join the thread,
and what an entrance you've made were all drooling over your bike, Im going to stick my neck out and say yours is the best so far,( can I have your address so I can come and steal it.)
Our at least for political reason I must say a close second to our own Bikes
I will pick you up on the way through to track day if you let me stand next to it and have my picture taken so I can tell other people its mine

MCmad screwed with this post 04-08-2009 at 02:59 AM
MCmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:01 AM   #1356
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
Quote:
Um, no. Should I?
Theoretically it would make it easier with one downer - KLX front disk stock I think not 300 mm as DR stock (need to check) And front brake on both DR and KLX ...arghm...shall I subtly say "not efficient" for conditions of street riding in Europe and UK (e.g. loads of traffic in confined space).
Ray, I think you can fit DR front wheel to KLX forks. Seriously, I think it will work.
Can you tell what it front axle diameter on KLX-R forks? Is it 15 or 17 mm by any chance?
Also - did you get them KLX forks with brake caliper or without?
I think with this info I can cook "minimum work required" coversion plan for you :)
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:06 AM   #1357
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

so far I found that stock KLX-R front axle was 15 mm. Same size as DR stock.
That means that all you need is KLX-R front axle (eBay or just buy off dealer if not supplied with forks) and spacers to set DR stock wheel in centerline between fork legs.
Spacers are basically 2 pieces of pipe :) so - no probs there.
Then comes question about brakes.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:08 AM   #1358
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,585
Quote:
Theoretically it would make it easier with one downer - KLX front disk stock I think not 300 mm as DR stock (need to check) And front brake on both DR and KLX ...arghm...shall I subtly say "not efficient" for conditions of street riding in Europe and UK (e.g. loads of traffic in confined space).
Ray, I think you can fit DR front wheel to KLX forks. Seriously, I think it will work.
Can you tell what it front axle diameter on KLX-R forks? Is it 15 or 17 mm by any chance?
I think with this info I can cook "minimum work required" coversion plan for you :)
I will check later in the day as I have both and shall let you know.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:47 AM   #1359
DrBigEd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
I will check later in the day as I have both and shall let you know.
I like this site - so helpful.
Is all your life will ever be"

BREATHE
Dark side of the moon
Pink Floyd 1973
DrBigEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:24 AM   #1360
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
What I'm getting is KLX650R forks, top yoke, fork seals, and custom spacers to fit DR wheel. So it doesn't look like I need a KLX wheel at all .

Thanks for the input guys

(OK, which brakes do I need? I'm on the slippery slope of here, I can tell..)
IBA #40578

Old 04-08-2009, 05:28 AM   #1361
DRMaidenFan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800rider

Welcome DRmaidenfan and Congratulations as you are our 50Th DRBIG OWNER to join the thread,
and what an entrance you've made were all drooling over your bike, Im going to stick my neck out and say yours is the best so far,( can I have your address so I can come and steal it.)
Our at least for political reason I must say a close second to our own Bikes
I will pick you up on the way through to track day if you let me stand next to it and have my picture taken so I can tell other people its mine
Wow...praise indeed !!! Thank You ! And to be 50th Owner on the thread... that's great. Lets hope we get another 50 joining shortly.

As I said yesterday, Malta is straight on at the Libyan 'traffic lights' and then first right. It would be a pleasure riding with another DR rider - As for the photos... anytime !

Personally I really like ray_revs black 800 from what I have seen - it looks very 'mean'.

Does anyone know the production figures from Suzuki for the DR BIG 750 & 800 series in some detail ? SR41/42/43 etc. I would be interested to find out.

Cheers !
DRMaidenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:58 AM   #1362
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What I'm getting is KLX650R forks, top yoke, fork seals, and custom spacers to fit DR wheel. So it doesn't look like I need a KLX wheel at all .

Thanks for the input guys

(OK, which brakes do I need? I'm on the slippery slope of here, I can tell..)
Will lower yoke with steering stem be included too?

Brakes. My hate/love theme.
There are quite a few options. Most of them require fabricating caliper mount adapter and finding 4-pot caliper which would clear spokes on 21" wheel. Not so much of $$$ and not that much of problem, don't worry. Worst case scenario - I can try to make adapter for you or draw it for you and you can have it made in UK, thou it is a bit difficult without forks at hand. I would wait for information kindly offered by Mousitsas - if he can tell what is distance between mounts for brake caliper on KLX forks then it will be easier to find best solution.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:53 AM   #1363
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Will lower yoke with steering stem be included too?

Brakes. My hate/love theme.
There are quite a few options. Most of them require fabricating caliper mount adapter and finding 4-pot caliper which would clear spokes on 21" wheel. Not so much of $$$ and not that much of problem, don't worry. Worst case scenario - I can try to make adapter for you or draw it for you and you can have it made in UK, thou it is a bit difficult without forks at hand. I would wait for information kindly offered by Mousitsas - if he can tell what is distance between mounts for brake caliper on KLX forks then it will be easier to find best solution.
Thanks. In any event it's not urgent. I need to get some work done on the CBR first, then I can turn my attention to the DR. I just thought the forks were too good to pass up.
IBA #40578

Old 04-08-2009, 06:55 AM   #1364
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMaidenFan
Personally I really like ray_revs black 800 from what I have seen - it looks very 'mean'.

You mean this one?

IBA #40578

Old 04-08-2009, 07:18 AM   #1365
DRMaidenFan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:

You mean this one?

Thats the one ! How come the exhaust is so discoloured ? Is it due to long runs and extensive heating ?? I have the same one I think but its still like new 5 years on. It's also inscribed as 'Road Illegal' on the inside. Is that not a problem round your way then ?
DRMaidenFan is offline   Reply With Quote