Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #13651
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
Quote:
Those motors cost next to nothing, don't put you hopes too high
But are they "generic" or specific to the task? How long do you think manufacturers will carry them in their parts stock before
"No longer available" starts showing up?

I've not seen any of these mechanisms myself so I'm really talking about something about which I actually know very little (something I try NOT to do)
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #13652
Puddle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
It Finally Runs!

Today is a great day. My DrBig runs! I am a very happy camper. In the end it was the carbs. They were full of dirt. It was a long process with many diversions. We started with the CDI and a swap from a friends bike here in Toronto. Followed with a new Stator from Germany. Then back to the Carbs. I say back to the Carbs because earlier this summer I took the bike to a local shop and they said they went through the Carbs so I had eliminated that as the problem. But after having no luck I pulled them from the bike and they were terrible, with one main jet completely blocked and the idle jets on both so blocked that you will notice I actually posted here to see if one side was supposed to be closed. Its clear we were not on the same page in this area. Then this past week we switched the Stator back to the original as the bike would not idle below 2000 rpm. Thank you to Lars who said the wrong stator would show this sign. So I learned a lot. 1. dig in yourself. 2. ask questions. 3. take your time. 4. stay with it. Thanks to everyone who over the last year or more have given me some tips on where to look. I really appreciate this place and your experience. Cheers,

Another one of the 35 ever sold in Canada, now running, 1988 DR750, 25,733 kms on the clock and counting...
Puddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #13653
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
I'm going to have to discover what company makes all those stepper motors used in injection systems and suspension adjustment systems and traction control systems and windshield adjustment systems,etc.

I should be buying stock in those companies waiting for all these tiny motors to begin failing in about 5 years. Lots of money to be made here.....that or lots of motorcycles are going to be "not running.....parting out"

.....Just an opinion.....

I'll stick with carburetors and suspension that you have to actually get off the bike and kneel down to adjust.
Yep I hate a bike loaded with tons of expensive to replace, price inflating, weight adding gizmo's that just make the machine that much more likely for something to fail on you. I like a reliable machine that has the money put into the stuff that really matters, a motor and suspension that performs, and quality materials that will last for the long haul.

I do like fuel injection ALOT tho.......its not even in the same universe as a carb for throttle response, power, mileage, and you can let a fuel-injection system sit for years (let alone just over winter) and it'll almost always fire up and run like it was just parked...plus their ultra-reliable, and work at all elevations perfectly.
The best addition ever made to the internal combustion engine imo ......except for turbo's
And did I mention you can jet it with a laptop?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #13654
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Well done, Puddle....

most important is:

Quote:
1. dig in yourself.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #13655
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
New Helmet

A couple of photo's of my new full face helmet. Won't this look cool riding down the road!

Just Kiddin' guy's. It can be worn but it wouldn't be legal and it certainly wouldn't be safe. I bought it in Bali this week to keep as a novelty souvenier.

I might lend it to the kid next door for that Halloween night crap that we somehow inherited from the Yanks. Like baseball caps on back the front and Shorts that go half way between your knees and your ankles and show half your arse.

I know you're smiling, Ladder106! And robmoto, you can stop grinning too!

Cheers.
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #13656
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

I'm only smiling 'cause a few of the local Harley riders 'round these parts have taken to wearing neoprene type masks over their nose and mouths that have skeleton type printing on them and look very similar to your "helmet"

This is odd because it's been quite warm here for autumn so it's obvious it's all for looks....then again....that's what the Harley is for in the first place. Although why having a dead guy riding a motorcycle is cool...I'll never know.

Dunno how in hell you lot inherited Haloween (all hallows eve...whatever) from us....its really pretty stupid. But people being people have even taken to decorating their houses with lights etc like Christmas...

I'll never figure out humans.

Came around a corner the other day while riding in the hills to see an oncoming bike with the riders arms waving wildly in the air....thought he was warning me of rocks, deer, or something....as he got closer I realized he had HUGE ape-hanger bars on the bike and that was the way he was riding..........
Old 10-13-2012, 02:33 AM   #13657
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
[QUOTE=Ladder106;19807363]I'm only smiling 'cause a few of the local Harley riders 'round these parts have taken to wearing neoprene type masks over their nose and mouths that have skeleton type printing on them and look very similar to your "helmet"

I know what you mean, mate. Over here in Oz, and I suppose where anybody buys a Harley, or any other cruiser type machine, the Space helmet is obligatory. All the outlaw bikie wankers here wear a flat black puddin' basin or space helmet. As if their brains aren't fried enough! I asked one of them once why he wasn't wearing a full face. He replied that they like the feel of the wind in their faces. The next time I saw him he was on a ride with the rest of the gang members and all, bar one, were wearing sunglasses and bandanna's. So much for the wind in the face. Maybe after he goes over the bars and grinds his face away on the road he might change his mind.
Cheers.
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:22 AM   #13658
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
I'm only smiling 'cause a few of the local Harley riders 'round these parts have taken to wearing neoprene type masks over their nose and mouths that have skeleton type printing on them and look very similar to your "helmet"

This is odd because it's been quite warm here for autumn so it's obvious it's all for looks....then again....that's what the Harley is for in the first place. Although why having a dead guy riding a motorcycle is cool...I'll never know.

Dunno how in hell you lot inherited Haloween (all hallows eve...whatever) from us....its really pretty stupid. But people being people have even taken to decorating their houses with lights etc like Christmas...

I'll never figure out humans.

Came around a corner the other day while riding in the hills to see an oncoming bike with the riders arms waving wildly in the air....thought he was warning me of rocks, deer, or something....as he got closer I realized he had HUGE ape-hanger bars on the bike and that was the way he was riding..........
Well I have been over in the US of A, California trying to track down Ladder 106 Raymond the fireman some locals rented me a harley and said they saw him go up this dirt road I went up there coudn,t find him but on the way back, yep you guessed it here comes a blue DR 750 with a orange frame , I was waving with both arms so he would see me , BUT, but he rode straight past with middle finger pointed skyward yelling f,,,,can harley wanker .
So much for the hospitality you yanks .
Old 10-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #13659
Puddle
Gnarly Adventurer

Its time to get new Headstock Bearings. Anyone know the size of the top and bottoms for the SR41? Appreciate the help.

Found them. All good.

Now does anyone know if the dust cover will survive the exercise of taking them out? Or should I plan to purchase a new one in advance? Seems like a small issue, but this part may be hard to find unless it is common to another bike.

Puddle screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 12:18 PM
Old 10-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #13660
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
@Puddle,

Bottom is a 32006-X, but be careful, the sealing might not be fitted on several bearings.
Reason is, that the inner Ring on some bearings has a 1mm larger diameter than the bearings Suzuki built in.
Top is similar to a 32005-X BUT WITH A 1MM LARGER OUTER RING!

There are some bearing sets availlable, even on aftermarket shops.

Cheers,
Lars
Resi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #13661
Puddle
Gnarly Adventurer

For Bearings....

I have the standard stuff available locally. They are: NTN 32005X (for top) and Timken 32006X (for bottom).

I thought these were correct based on looking at the CMNSL site. But the bottom one on CMNSL looks a little different in that it appears to have some form of cover on the top side showing and a slight flange on the top side. Am I seeing things?

I checked the local shops and they say these all are standard.

Is what I have going to work? Or cause problems?

Thanks, Rob
Old 10-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #13662
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
BUT, but he rode straight past with middle finger pointed skyward yelling f,,,,can harley wanker .
So much for the hospitality you yanks .
OK...that was funny.

You actually had me believing for a few moments....until I read the last sentence.

Thanks for the laugh. Hopefully by the time you get here for a visit I'll have either the 750 or 800 to loan you.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 08:42 PM
Old 10-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #13663
CCM/GARRY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
ktm forks

Well the 91 model dr 800 i bought is striped bare the motor is in the shop for a full rebuild the frame is off to get powder coated and the tank covers are on the way. But i need some help has anyone put some 48mm white power forks on their bike i slide them in place and they look like they fit just have to match up some bearings but it can"t be that easy what have i missed.
CCM/GARRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:17 AM   #13664
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
Check turn angle. 48 mm forks seriously mess up turn radius. One of my friends installed those on his DR, and that what he got. Apart from that everything else was walk in the park.
This is why back then I went for 50mm rwu WP Extremes. Plust Extremes provide more "plush" ride without being too soft.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #13665
werarju
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
This is the last pic I have taken Lioyd, and how it is going stay, just with suzuki stickers on the swing arm and robmoto on the tank, when time permitts its getting SR/43 ignition timing I now have all the parts to do it and no time.
Please don,t show this bike with a dakar sticker .
Hey Robmoto,
I really like your bike and I would like to do the same with my bike. Can you tell me whitch parts you've been using.
Are this parts from a DR 650 RE? If yes, do they fit without any problems or is a modification needed?
Thanks for your help
werarju is offline   Reply With Quote