User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #13921
bushybutt
Bushybutt

Oddometer: 20
Spen's centre stand & Aussie DR owners

Hi Spen, I take it the stand would suit a SR41/42 750/800. What is the height of the stand in the down position.
The reason I ask is that I have a SR43A with an Ohlins with a I kg heavier spring than standard for two up riding with luggage and at rest the bike sits higher than a standard sprung bike. I was wondering if the stand would be long (high) enough to get at least one wheel off the ground.
Cheers Bryn

Hi Robmoto, I hope you, your family and all our DR riding mates are safe from the bush fires that are ravaging through Oz at the moment. Our thoughts are with you.
Bryn
bushybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #13922
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,803
A bit of parts number research this evening shows a difference between the big rotating part of the generator....called the "rotor" oddly enough.

It would appear that I have to see if the SR41 rotor will fit onto the SR43 crank.

Then get out the calipers to make certain nothing comes in contact while spinning.

.....maybe this is more complication than is reasonable?

Robo....hope you're keeping cool down there.

Ladder106 screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 09:42 PM
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #13923
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Also...if you plan to loosen the balancer chain sprockets, this is the time. Use the strap flywheel holder to hold everything while loosening the balancer shaft bolts. If you remove the flywheel, tensioner and balancer shaft chain, you'll have to resort to the "special tool" to hold the balancer shaft sprockets.....or put everything back together again back to step #1 (yeah, I learned this the hard way also)
I'm looking for info about balancer chain timing for my DR650 and came across this post. I used an old Makita 5" angle grinder pin spanner that I found at work. Looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Amico-3-5mm-Gr.../dp/B007VD33S0

Just had to grind a small amount off of the inside so that it would clear the boss on the sprocket. Does the job and cost stuff all
Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #13924
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,139
Quote:
My current "Big" situation is like this:

(a) I purchased an SR43A last spring and am in the process of stripping it down for a frame - up repaint and refurbish. Engine is good but cosmetics are not where I want them.

(b) My SR41 is shedding some metal bits in the oil and I'm going to disassemble the engine to try to discover what is in the process of exploding.

So.....

My plan it to remove the engine from the SR43 and stick it into the SR41 frame. So I at least have one running machine while I'm working on frame/paint on the 43 and the engine on the 41.

THE ASSUMPTION:

I am assuming that the SR41 stator must be used when swapping the SR43 engine into the SR41 frame to keep all the SR41 electrics and CDI ignition compatible and happily passing electrons to each other.

The SR41 stator and ignition sensor will bolt directly into the SR43 left case.

The SR43 carbs will be carried over and everything else should fit right up.

UNLESS I AM TOTALLY WRONG OR MISSING SOMETHING.

I'll be working on this tomorrow and (unlike Lars) should take a few days to get finished.

So...................

If this is somehow totally unreasonable and will tilt the earth on its axis melting the ice caps and drowning everyone, please post and let me know.

Has anyone out there ever done this or am I the only crazy?
Happy New Year, evryone! :)

Ladder, yes BUT....
Timing on SR43 is different than timing on SR41. E.g. I can't say it will not work - 99.9% it will, but will it be good or not optimal - hard to say, since you going to use "brains" and pickup coil location off SR41 on camshaft of SR43.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:36 AM   #13925
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
G'day everybody, its been a while since i posted in here. haven't ridden the big girl in a while. fractured my right humurus (no, it wasn't) when i fell off the KTM back in september. anyway I'm back on now, the arm is not 100% but it will do.
I have a slightly dodgy starter motor. i pulled it apart to clean and inspect it and found two sections of the commutator smeared/shorted together. I fixed the commutator as best i could and gave it a good clean up. it works better now but won't spin fast enough to fire it up in the cold weather like you blokes on the other side of the planet have now. it starts easy here in 30 to 40 degree C temps we have at the moment
anyway i was wondering if this starter motor was used in any other applications? did a part no. search on google but have had no luck. it appears to be DR BIG only.
pn. 31100-44B00-H17
i am going to replace the brushes and increase the cable size and see if that helps. i have a new battery already.

any other ideas or assistance would be appreciated.

Rob, i will get those jets to you soon. sorry for the delay.
Simosez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #13926
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
since you going to use "brains" and pickup coil location off SR41 on camshaft of SR43.
Oh...do you mean the valve timing is different on the SR43 also. I have to have a look at that. Hopefully the service manual lists it.

Thanks

Simosez,

Had a bit of a search-around and pretty much found what you did. There are a few places that will sell the armature only if that is your problem. German ebay also has brushes for sale.

I wouldn't think that there would be that much variation in starter motors across the whole motorcycle industry. Just looking at the motors on all my bikes it seems their size and mounting points are all about the same.

Maybe a trip to the local salvage/breaker yard with motor in hand would be beneficial.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #13927
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Hi Ladder,
just trying to reach Lars (Evildent Resi) by phone but he doesn't seem to be at home. I think he could answer your questions. I'll send him an e-mail to direct him to your questions ... and Stefan Hessler too, of course. I could answer to parts of your problem but not in every detail. I fear, this would lead you to more misunderstandings than help.
Keep calm, help is at hand ...
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #13928
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Hi Longdude,
just to correct this: 'Bambi, you are a genius, and you too Lars!'
Lars is the genius!!! I just do remember most things around motorcycles that caught my interest ...
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 01-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #13929
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,703
Hi everyone , It has been hot here 40 celsius some day,s and I have been been working outside in it doing work arround my place moving dirt and cutting down trees and stuff.
Luckily no fires in my area at the moment, my blue big is now fully apart to get ready to paint I bought all the bling bits 6 months ago but had no time to do the job .
Ray 43 fly wheel should go on as far as I know, a rattle gun works good to get those big nuts of ballancers and alike.
Big screens wider ones if you run bark busters they will hit the screen I have tried this allready. cheers.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #13930
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simosez View Post
G'day everybody, its been a while since i posted in here. haven't ridden the big girl in a while. fractured my right humurus (no, it wasn't) when i fell off the KTM back in september. anyway I'm back on now, the arm is not 100% but it will do.
I have a slightly dodgy starter motor. i pulled it apart to clean and inspect it and found two sections of the commutator smeared/shorted together. I fixed the commutator as best i could and gave it a good clean up. it works better now but won't spin fast enough to fire it up in the cold weather like you blokes on the other side of the planet have now. it starts easy here in 30 to 40 degree C temps we have at the moment
anyway i was wondering if this starter motor was used in any other applications? did a part no. search on google but have had no luck. it appears to be DR BIG only.
pn. 31100-44B00-H17
i am going to replace the brushes and increase the cable size and see if that helps. i have a new battery already.

any other ideas or assistance would be appreciated.

Rob, i will get those jets to you soon. sorry for the delay.
Simmon there are 4 brushes inside don,t forget just not 2. I had to go and buy more jets not happy never again.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #13931
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,139
Quote:
Oh...do you mean the valve timing is different on the SR43 also. I have to have a look at that. Hopefully the service manual lists it.

Thanks

Simosez,

Had a bit of a search-around and pretty much found what you did. There are a few places that will sell the armature only if that is your problem. German ebay also has brushes for sale.

I wouldn't think that there would be that much variation in starter motors across the whole motorcycle industry. Just looking at the motors on all my bikes it seems their size and mounting points are all about the same.

Maybe a trip to the local salvage/breaker yard with motor in hand would be beneficial.
Or just simply wait for Lars to come online :) I am sure he has done it in some form or shape and will have answers for you right away.
I just been thinking - why not to do full transplant, e.g. SR43 motor + brains+coils into SR41 frame? It won't be big deal if you use "bridge" wiring except it will require a lot of looking at diagram and tracing :)
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #13932
MrPopples
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Lars, stefan,

Thx for your answers,
really helpful :)

Job is a bit *complicated* right now, that's why my answer is quite delayed ... and rather short :(
I'll keep you updated about what I'm doing about this fork ...

Thx,
Guillaume.
MrPopples is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #13933
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
why not to do full transplant, e.g. SR43 motor + brains+coils into SR41 frame?
I'm a big chicken when it comes to electricity....that's why I've stayed away from bikes with tiny servo-motor for everything short of putting the stand down for you (although that is probably not far off)

I do much better with nuts, bolts, wrenches and, of course, hammers

The SR42 engine is at least out of the frame. The SR41 is on the work stand and I'm waiting for all the

YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND

opinions to come through before I attempt a transplant.

Thanks, everyone, for their ideas and assistance so far.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:11 AM   #13934
khanez
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Something Unexpected.

Hey folks finally found a Dr lover thread. I am the only one in Pakistan with a DR that i know off. I had know clue that Suzuki had a DRbIg800 every produced. i was in Karachi visiting a friend. As he got few bikes around. i was ready to take on a trail bike that is dual purpose on and off road. After spending some time with different dealers i met this guy who had this big blue crazy looking bike that said DR BIG. I was convinced that the owner is a doctor. I took the dr for a ride and i was blown apart. The power was just crazy. i was just loving the ride. I made a deal and got it at my friends place. Where i got the oil changed and in two days i packed up canceled my air fair. Sat on my bike and after 1300km i was in my home with a big smile. The bike was not in original condition it was raised 5inches. The previous owner had it for stunts mainly wheelies. It took 11months for me to get it back to original condition. Its all ready to hit KKH next summer on it.

The only thing that i need is new tires.

Hope to see you with your DR on KKH. Wonder if there have been any on it !!!

What was the reason DrBig800 was not introduced in USA?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

khanez screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 07:29 AM
khanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #13935
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Sanity regained

Hey....guess what....Lars sez I'm NOT nuts

43 engine into a 41 transplant is proceeding on schedule.

Thanks, Lars.

Then the plan is to tear down the SR41 engine, discover where the metal bits are coming from, fix that and rebuild with new piston (going to need someone's help with this one but I think I can get on from Stefan),valves (Kibblewhite here in the USA has brand new valves for the Bigs....shockingly expensive...but available) and maybe an 800 crank installed (per Robs advice).

Then the SR43 will get all repainted (1991 stripes and RED) and powedercoated and I'll have TWO in the USA (of course I'm the only one that cares)

Welcome Khanez,

Remember your bike is air cooled. For your climate, you'll want to use very good oil and change it often. Also keep a close eye on the air filter due to sand and make completely certain that the rubber boot between the airbox and the carbs is sealed correctly to the carbs. It's difficult to see this and easy to get wrong if the bike has been apart before.

Also, I hope you mean the bike was raised by 5cm NOT 5 inches or you'd be getting on with the help of a box.

Send us photos of your bike and your rides, please. It's great to see these bikes in other parts of the world.

The reason the Bigs never came to the US was because most Yanks remain ignorant about Rallye racing/riding. We still see 2 distinct schools or riding here....either road racers or Harleys. Adventure bikes are beginning to catch on but not popular yet. I hope they never do become too popular here since that always tends to spoil things. I'll continue to cope with getting parts and advice from folks in other parts of the world.....it also makes for much more interesting conversations.

All the people on this thread are great. Try reading through it from the start. If you do that you'll gain almost all the knowledge and ideas you need to keep your bike running well.