Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #13936
Longdude
Tall Geezer !

Oddometer: 62
I just got my engine back from Soda crystal blasting. Nice job. Just need to wash off all the dust, dry it and then etch primer followed by satin black. What do you think ?

Before....

After.....

Suzuki DR 800 BIG / Triumph Tiger 955i.
Longdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #13937
khanez
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Hey....guess what....Lars sez I'm NOT nuts

43 engine into a 41 transplant is proceeding on schedule.

Thanks, Lars.

Then the plan is to tear down the SR41 engine, discover where the metal bits are coming from, fix that and rebuild with new piston (going to need someone's help with this one but I think I can get on from Stefan),valves (Kibblewhite here in the USA has brand new valves for the Bigs....shockingly expensive...but available) and maybe an 800 crank installed (per Robs advice).

Then the SR43 will get all repainted (1991 stripes and RED) and powedercoated and I'll have TWO in the USA (of course I'm the only one that cares)

Welcome Khanez,

Remember your bike is air cooled. For your climate, you'll want to use very good oil and change it often. Also keep a close eye on the air filter due to sand and make completely certain that the rubber boot between the airbox and the carbs is sealed correctly to the carbs. It's difficult to see this and easy to get wrong if the bike has been apart before.

Also, I hope you mean the bike was raised by 5cm NOT 5 inches or you'd be getting on with the help of a box.

Send us photos of your bike and your rides, please. It's great to see these bikes in other parts of the world.

The reason the Bigs never came to the US was because most Yanks remain ignorant about Rallye racing/riding. We still see 2 distinct schools or riding here....either road racers or Harleys. Adventure bikes are beginning to catch on but not popular yet. I hope they never do become too popular here since that always tends to spoil things. I'll continue to cope with getting parts and advice from folks in other parts of the world.....it also makes for much more interesting conversations.

All the people on this thread are great. Try reading through it from the start. If you do that you'll gain almost all the knowledge and ideas you need to keep your bike running well.
I am 6ft2 and i was on my tippy toes. Only could get my one foot down just to get the balance. it was that much raised. i think it was 5inches(with some hollywood twist) but now i can very comfo siting on it. i have more control on it.
don't have an option to attach pic but you can always cheek out my FB page
Thank you .
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2461213&type=3
khanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #13938
mait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Ray, you can buy one of those pistons from Stefan.
http://www.dr-big-shop.de/BIG_MotorTuning_689.html
I think shipping cost will be not be an issue any more

I pulled the engine out of the frame yesterday, too. I hope I can find out where the oil is going.
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #13939
Silent Hunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Hi Guys, I got my bike going.

Now it revs up on the first couple of tries every time, even got my battery recharged after a few rides. :)

Turns out its a very very very rich mix that causes it to be difficult to start.
What I did was screw the Air : Fuel screw all the way in, then experimented with 1/2 a turn out each time, and got it easy to rev at 2 turns out on each side. Before that it was 5.5 & 6.0 turns out on the left and right screws respectively.

Fuel consumption was an amazing 11 km per liter!

Yap, I do turn off the fuel tap BEFORE I turn off the decompressor.and ignition key. :)
Old 01-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #13940
Silent Hunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
I'm a big chicken when it comes to electricity....that's why I've stayed away from bikes with tiny servo-motor for everything short of putting the stand down for you (although that is probably not far off)

I do much better with nuts, bolts, wrenches and, of course, hammers

The SR42 engine is at least out of the frame. The SR41 is on the work stand and I'm waiting for all the

YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND

opinions to come through before I attempt a transplant.

Thanks, everyone, for their ideas and assistance so far.
You might need a SR41 CDI for a SR41 engine Ladder.
The last time I bought a SR43 CDI from Zappa for my 1991 SR41 DR800 SL. Sad to say it doesn't work, the CDI was missing a cable that attaches to the wiring harness. 3 head for a 2 head socket.

So I gave it away to Robmoto and it works for his bike.

I hope you can get around this problem and avoid buying a new CDI for the transplant though, CDI s are expensive!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #13941
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Gidday.

I've got a wiring scheme about connecting a 96 CDI to an SR41 bike.

http://www.bollertante.de/rur/bis91-...CDI-002-00.pdf

Cheers,
Lars

Gesendet mit Tapatalk über Erdfunkstelle Usingen/Taunus
Resi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #13942
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,721
Pissed Thread-locker Blues

Quote:
You might need a SR41 CDI for a SR41 engine Ladder.
I've got the entire SR41 motorcycle. That is what I'm moving the SR43 engine into so I have the 41 CDI and all wiring.

Thanks for the warning though.

What I do NOT have is a removable timing chain tensioner.

The timing chain is very slack and must be adjusted. I thought I'd do this while the engine was on the bench........

.........but then.....

The rear bolt that holds the tensioner on unscrewed with great difficulty

A previous owner used some sort of brown (maybe it's old RED loctite) thread locker on these bolts.

The (*&$#(*&) FRONT bolt will NOT unscrew. I've finally rounded out the 6mm hexagon for the allen wrench after trying the bolt with my impact driver. I really try NEVER to do this and have a pretty good "feel" for when I'm applying too much torque....not this time.

I've already tried a bit of gentle heat from a plumpers propane torch (Didn't want to get the oxy/acetylene rig in there....tooo HOT)...but the plastic cushioning material on the tensioner sprocket started to overheat so I gave up on that.

Prevailing wisdom suggests tapping in an appropriately sized TORX driver and trying again.

Most warn against the use of screw extractors (and I've personally NOT had good luck with them) since they tend to snap off and then leave a very HARD bit behind right in the center of the bolt......and your next step is to drill off the bolt head.

If the TORX driver solution does not work, I guess I'll drill the head of the bolt off, remove the chain and tensioner, then try heating the remaining bolt stem and (fingers crossed and a few prayers) turning it out with vice-grips since I should be able to concentrate heat on the offending part with all the other bits out of the way.

If anyone has any other tips for removing a stripped allen bolt, LETS HEAR THEM.

I'm not really excited about drilling right inside the engine. I'll place a few small magnets around the area to try to catch any metal bits coming off the screw head...but it's still a bit nerve-racking.

Wish me luck.........
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #13943
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Thumb Success !!

YAY !

The Torx trick worked.

Screw is removed and the area cleaned up.

Red Loctite is evil.....should be thought of as epoxy for threads.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #13944
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,603
Silent hunter, I still havn,t put it on yet, I too bought some parts from Zappa a sr43 rotor and the stator from Bluesman, this was to change the ignition for the motard but just haven,t got to it yet, working on my last bike resto forever .

Ray why are you taking off the cam chain tensioner anyway, has it a broken spring or something.

Simon the jets arrived thanks mate.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #13945
spen
on my arse

Oddometer: 318
Just bought a DR 750 in bits ,the guy stipped it to tidy up but had no money ,lifted it and brought it home in the back of the car ,so i"m looking ideas for a rebuild .Colours etc .any thoughts
spen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #13946
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer

Spen, orange-white like on 1988 models, or a blue frame with yellow bodywork...

Or... like on 1995 ones a dark british racing green...

Cheers,
Lars

Old 01-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #13947
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
working on my last bike resto forever
OK....THAT is hard to believe. You still have to do mine, you know.

Quote:
why are you taking off the cam chain tensioner anyway, has it a broken spring or something.

Robo,

It was the balancer chain adjuster that had me using bad language. All is well there now.

.......except (continued on next post)
Old 01-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #13948
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Balancer chain timing and Valve timing

.....and yet another question for those of you who have screwed together a few BIG engines.

I've set my balancer chain timing per the manual. My chain has NO chrome links as the manual stated but I've counted chain pins at least 20 times and am certain that it's set correctly.

BUT

When I look at the CAMSHAFT timing and set the CAM so that the two marks on the cam are EXACTLY in line with the top of the cylinder head..

.....the flywheel mark that should be at the TDC casting on the case

....is about 5mm to the left (anti-clockwise) to the mark.

Now moving the cam one tooth one direction or the other in the cam chain results in these marks being a LOT farther off than I have them right now.

So, am I just being too crazy and precise with this set-up? Or am I doing something silly again.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #13949
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer

Ray,

sometimes the aligning marks do fit exactly. I remember one engine with a slight misalignment, like your' s. If you like I can go to the shed and take a picture with measurement of the balancer chain.

Cheers,
Lars

Old 01-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #13950
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,603
Ray, the line on the camshaft if it is a couple of degrees out thats ok, I put it down to slight wear in the cogs quiet normal nothing to worry about.
Did you notice that the 2 bolts re ballancer chain adjuster are 2 different lenths, I just had too hellicoil Shane Falcon,s bike because the front one was stripped, I did not drill all the way through the crank cases so the hellicoil would not come out the other side, clever prick arn,t I .
Another bike I have worked on a SR/43 had the bolts the wrong way arround and the front one was stripped but with the bolts put in the right holes there was enough good thread left for grab, long bolt went to the front.