Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #14431
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
speaking of the first page, since 800rider (mcmad) got himself banned or maybe excommunicated might be a better term in this case, we no longer have a means of updating the info that is there. i know i would like a quick reference list to later additions such as Robs airfilter setups, Ladders informative tech advice as well as many others valuable contributions.
what we need is for someone else to take over page 1 so as to have the ability to continually update page 1. do we have any mods amongst us who may be able to assist?
i would be willing to take on the job if it is possible. i'm not getting rid of my Big anytime soon and i don't intend on getting banned
Simosez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:08 AM   #14432
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer

i've sent a message to a mod and am awaiting a reply.

Rob, do you know what post no. your custom filters were? i will be ordering some flatslides soon and wanted to have a suitable filter sorted.
cheers.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #14433
p3dro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
CDI Unit help!!!

Hello all,
Apparently my starting problems are due to a faulty CDI unit - does any one know where I can get one, where I can get mine repaired, or have a working one for sale?
DR800 SR43A
The generator has returned from being re-wound but now there is still no spark and the CDI is to blame I'm told...
All help greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Pete
p3dro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #14434
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,603
Simon ,I have a treat for you to look at sitting on my bench, I have a 150mm x 115 dia filter that fits inside the 41/42 airbox with a seperate course inner filter that acts as a pre filter, this pre filter can be removed from the side without removing the tank.
Just where the other filter mods are I don,t know .
Old 05-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #14435
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3dro View Post
Hello all,
Apparently my starting problems are due to a faulty CDI unit - does any one know where I can get one, where I can get mine repaired, or have a working one for sale?
DR800 SR43A
The generator has returned from being re-wound but now there is still no spark and the CDI is to blame I'm told...
Cheers,
Pete
Have a look on world wide ebay you might get one there and ask on the DR BIG info forrums in England.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #14436
p3dro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
thanks robmoto.
p3dro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #14437
jurvooss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
today i got myself a complete front end of a ktm to put on my dr800 1990, but was is now the thing that i have to modify on the stem? and which front fork and yokes are now the best for a dr800?

greets
jurvooss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #14438
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,725
Be certain to check front fork travel to be sure that the front tire/fender doesn't hit the frame downtube/crashbars/bottom of triple clamps on full compression.

Others here (Bluesman I think) needed to have the travel limited internally to keep bad things from happening on hitting really large bumps.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #14439
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Be certain to check front fork travel to be sure that the front tire/fender doesn't hit the frame downtube/crashbars/bottom of triple clamps on full compression.

Others here (Bluesman I think) needed to have the travel limited internally to keep bad things from happening on hitting really large bumps.
I would also check to see whether the fork length, wheel rolling radius and triple clamp offset will give a reasonable trail number.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #14440
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3dro View Post
Hello all,
DR800 SR43A
Cheers,
Pete

Pete, I ended up getting one from Hessler Motorsport, they are as rare as rocking horse droppings in the UK.

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #14441
Silent Hunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I ordered my CDI replacement from Robinson's Foundry.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #14442
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
Simon ,I have a treat for you to look at sitting on my bench, I have a 150mm x 115 dia filter that fits inside the 41/42 airbox with a seperate course inner filter that acts as a pre filter, this pre filter can be removed from the side without removing the tank.
Just where the other filter mods are I don,t know .
sounds interesting. how does the filter seal? piccies?
i'm working on coming on the hill end ride at the end of the month. are you staying out there on saturday night?
i think i'll start the rebuild/hotting up sometime after that.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:39 AM   #14443
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Simon the other blokes from Sydney were going to camp and just call in here after the Bridle Track section and then I was going to show them some dirt over Mt Horrible and in the scrub across to Sunny Cnr.
Then I was going to do a loop to the Turon and back up Red Hill Rd.
No pic,s at the moment as it will have a patent on it .
You can come and have a look if you want .

Forgot to mention PV moto the bloke who was organising the ride from the big smoke has sold his 990 and won,t have a bike in time for the ride, but others may go we will just have to wait and see, could all be a piss in wind thing.
He has the thread on Ozz ADV.

robmoto screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 02:45 AM
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:17 AM   #14444
Puddle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle View Post
...and does anyone know the specifications of the standard shock so I can go ahead a look for a new one without having to take this bike apart? Its my daily rider. Thank you.
Shock discussion among those I ride with is like talking about oil. So I'd like to hear from those who have one of these. If you have a new shock or fixed yours...tell me what you did and why you chose it?

And..is the original shock rebuildable?

Thanks everyone.
Puddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #14445
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Puddle, here,s my two bobs worth,
I have used in the past a good standard shock with a standard spring with the preload wound down to the max and put a new bottom bearing in which was about 65 bucks and the result was well a better ride height and the result, well I would say fair.
I then tried a heavier spring with the same shock and sort of thought a bit better but to much rebound.
I then went to a slightly heavier spring and heavier in the front too and thought not to bad, this is what is in my blue bike and is used on tar and dirt roads no real bumpy stuff or jumping so happy with this.
On my yellow bike which is used for easy and hard trails and jumping I bought a Wilbers 641 shock and there recommended front springs and Ricor intiminators, and Hessler HRT fork brace, result perfect.
On my orange bike only for tar riding and trips away fully loaded with luggage I use heavier front springs and rear spring with standard shock and front fork brace, found this set up being loaded good for the tar and twisties.
On my red bike a total stock set up and is well you know stuffed compared to the others.
On my motard on the rear is a Wilbers 641 beautifull these are great, front is KTM and only just .
So the answer for the best is WILBERS front and back and no stuffing arround.
Others have used different brands and are happy with there set up , but the above is what I have done .
And just fitted a 641 wilbers and front springs non progressive which were recommended with intiminators were already in with a super brace from procycle on my DR 650, only had a small test ride today on the tar looking for bumps and it smooth as.

robmoto screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 06:27 AM
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote