Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #14551
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
first ride on the Big in two months!! rebuilt starter works a treat.
saw 153km/hr before I ran out of road pulls big skids everywhere.
stock carbs with 125 mains
KTM akropovic pipe
stock air filter with the triangular side cut out with a bead of silastic to smooth the edges.
96 RM 250 closed chamber forks
93 husaberg shock with "custom" remote reservoir.

future mods will be:
Resi special custom 1st oversize piston.
flatslide carbs
bigger header pipe
and if I can track one down, an 800 crank.

I enjoyed the Big girl today and Robs mods have given me inspiration to chase a few more ponies
Simosez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #14552
obrut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
800 intensification

hey guys

long time lurker but avid reader

had my DR 2 years now and enjoyed every mud filled,water logged moment but now it's time to update.

i have aquired a set of WP extreme forks for which some adjustment advice would be most welcome

also have a budget for the flatside carbs , power plus cam + new rockers and the big piston from stefan hessler bit would really like your thoughts on a couple of other things

first off i know wilbers is de rigueur for the DR but can anyone reccomend an alternative for around 400 ? was looking at hyperpro or YSS but can't find any relevent reviews

secondly i'm sure i've read somewhere that the main difference between the 750 and 800 engine was the 800 got a longer throw crank but a shorter rod ( seem to recall a figure of 3mm ) can anyone confirm this either way? i'm sure you can guess where i'm heading with this...

anyways enough of the waffle have a few dirty pics

obrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #14553
jurvooss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
ouch..

that yamaha leaning on ur rear disk brake can not be completely good for it i guess Nice pics for the rest, a good habitat for the big
jurvooss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #14554
Hyena986
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
In my travels i found a brand new (20k km) '91 DR800 Big. It was all stock even the tires...

Hyena986 screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 11:35 PM
Hyena986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:30 AM   #14555
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by obrut View Post
hey guys

long time lurker but avid reader

had my DR 2 years now and enjoyed every mud filled,water logged moment but now it's time to update.

i have aquired a set of WP extreme forks for which some adjustment advice would be most welcome

also have a budget for the flatside carbs , power plus cam + new rockers and the big piston from stefan hessler bit would really like your thoughts on a couple of other things

first off i know wilbers is de rigueur for the DR but can anyone reccomend an alternative for around 400 ? was looking at hyperpro or YSS but can't find any relevent reviews

secondly i'm sure i've read somewhere that the main difference between the 750 and 800 engine was the 800 got a longer throw crank but a shorter rod ( seem to recall a figure of 3mm ) can anyone confirm this either way? i'm sure you can guess where i'm heading with this...

anyways enough of the waffle have a few dirty pics

WP Extreme forks. You will need new steering stem or machine bottom yoke a tad and press in DR steering stem. You will need to revalve (or re-cartridge) forks. If you are really tall guy you may extend forks (talk to Hessler) and retain original stroke (280 mm for Husaberg WPs, 300 for KTM WPs) or shorten stroke and no forks extension. In last scenario you will need to shorten stroke to 250 mm max. To do so you will need to machine cartridge. You can do it all yourself or just send forks to Hessler and get full bolt-on forks back.
You will need to offset rim of original DR wheel by 4 mm to the left (you will see when measure, it is easily done by adjusting spokes tension) to line up disk with caliper while keeping rim center in forks. You will need to ditch original caliper (it sh...t anyway) and source either direct bolt on (for WP extremes) Beringer 4 piston, or buy cheaper flat 4 piston or use original sliding 2 pot brembo.
You will need to install front fender using clamps as WP Extremes have no mount tabs.
You may ditch original speedo drive on the wheel and install nice and clean dash like Trailtech Vapor that actually twice more useful than original DR dash. Otherwise you will need to machine adapter for speedo drive.
As for shock alternatives - you can take cheaper Wilbers for 400 GBP but you won't find cheaper all-way adjustable shock with remote reservoir cheaper than Wilbers. In fact 400 GBP buys you a VERY nice Wilbers, not the cheapest model. Hyperpro are OK but not cheaper. YSS - never seen them do shock for DR dimensions.

As for bore-stroke etc, I believe you absolutely correct. Not sure why thou. One nice thing to do with DR is to get higher compression piston so that engine will be adequate to 95 petrol. As it stands now DR does best on 92 which is non-existent in most of Europe.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #14556
spen
on my arse

Oddometer: 333
Headed out on Thurs morning to get the early boat ,this was cancelled due to the high winds , not a great start.The ferry people stuck us on another ferry into Cairnryan this added 60 miles on to our first day ,with the wind howling we headed for Portree Skye ,by the time we had reached Inverary the sun was out but the wind was still blowing ,Up past the commando memorial and over Invergarry the temp dropped and it began to really blow hard and pour down . We had originally planned to take the road out of Fortwilliam to Malaig and get the ferry but with our first ferry being cancelled it ment we had to head for the Skye bridge and hope it was open with the high winds.The little Tenere hammered away into the head wind struggling to pull in top gear .330 miles later we made it to our B&B un packed the bikes and headed for a few pints of Guinness :tup: .Talking to a few other bikers one told us how his mate was blown over twice when he stopped at traffic lights and he himself had ended up in a ditch because of the high winds.

Friday was a better day and we set of for Laide via Applecross up over the pass there was still snow at the sides of the road ,the weather was lovely although i did fall up to my knees into a snow bank up on top of the pass, We stopped at the Applecross in and had lunch with a few other bikers and headed on out around the coast to our next stop, about 160 miles this day.

Up and away on Saturday morning, a beautiful day heading for Durness using the single track roads around the coast.We went to the Corrieshalloch gorge the deepest one in the UK. We headed for Stoer lighthouse, we had spotted a little ad in a shop "LIVING THE DREAM !! COME VISIT US AT THE MOST REMOTE TEA VAN IN THE UK " the BASTARDS were closed LOL after 30 miles of the smallest tightest and shittiest road we got there ,I lost the front on the Tenere twice and nearly hit a dozen sheep.We took the road on round towards Cape Wrath and on up into Durness. More Guinness followed.

Our next stop was to be Fort Agustus via Tongue ,Inverness and down the side of Loch Ness.We headed out on Sunday morning and rode a 70 mile single track road to Lairg i counted 4 cars in 70 miles ,The only other thing a saw was a Stag which ran out in front of me and scared me shittless another 15 yards and it would have been comin home with me ,from there it was Bonnar bridge then Inverness ,we checked the weather for Monday which was when we were to get the boat home and it looked bad ,with the thought of hundreds of miles in the rain on Monday we decided to head for the boat on Sunday night ,it was long trip down from Durness to Troon was 370 miles the Tenere was singing all the way down the road ,and my arse was sore but not to bad .

We did 1100 miles and the bike was doing around 65/70 MPG the weather changes in Scotland so quickly and the winds would put you in the hedge but it was fun .
spen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #14557
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,876
Lovely photos and yet another great machine NOT imported to the USA.

Dunno what Yamaha is thinking.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #14558
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Hello ole friends,
sorry, been a bit busy for the last weeks getting Marvin (white_bear) from ADVriders'-forum on his way to wladiwostok (or vladivostok). Now I'm preparing for our big annual Big-gathering, this time in Hamburg, next weekend.

There are great pics around here and to this guy

obrut
Adventurer

I would like to say, that I'm lost there since the early 70's. Meet me on the corner ...

Kind regards to all of you, Bambi

PS: I'll post a link to the pictures of our meeting next week. I'm really sad to make you envious, but that's been Suzuki's decision!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #14559
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,800
Bambi, but that's been Suzuki.s decision .
A lot if good pic,s you blokes keep em coming . .
Ray have you heard from Don.
cheers, Rob.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #14560
obrut
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
WP Extreme forks. You will need new steering stem or machine bottom yoke a tad and press in DR steering stem. You will need to revalve (or re-cartridge) forks. If you are really tall guy you may extend forks (talk to Hessler) and retain original stroke (280 mm for Husaberg WPs, 300 for KTM WPs) or shorten stroke and no forks extension. In last scenario you will need to shorten stroke to 250 mm max. To do so you will need to machine cartridge. You can do it all yourself or just send forks to Hessler and get full bolt-on forks back.
You will need to offset rim of original DR wheel by 4 mm to the left (you will see when measure, it is easily done by adjusting spokes tension) to line up disk with caliper while keeping rim center in forks. You will need to ditch original caliper (it sh...t anyway) and source either direct bolt on (for WP extremes) Beringer 4 piston, or buy cheaper flat 4 piston or use original sliding 2 pot brembo.
You will need to install front fender using clamps as WP Extremes have no mount tabs.
You may ditch original speedo drive on the wheel and install nice and clean dash like Trailtech Vapor that actually twice more useful than original DR dash. Otherwise you will need to machine adapter for speedo drive.
As for shock alternatives - you can take cheaper Wilbers for 400 GBP but you won't find cheaper all-way adjustable shock with remote reservoir cheaper than Wilbers. In fact 400 GBP buys you a VERY nice Wilbers, not the cheapest model. Hyperpro are OK but not cheaper. YSS - never seen them do shock for DR dimensions.

As for bore-stroke etc, I believe you absolutely correct. Not sure why thou. One nice thing to do with DR is to get higher compression piston so that engine will be adequate to 95 petrol. As it stands now DR does best on 92 which is non-existent in most of Europe.

cheers Bluesman

i have a copy of what i believe is your drawing for a DR stem and getting things machined up is no problem at all.

the forks i have are the KTM ones so would you know exactly what's involved in machining the cartridges or will i be able to work it out once i have the forks apart?

doubtful i'll chance offsetting the rim as wheel building is a black art to me...putting an 18 inch rear wheel in anyway so might be changing the front wheel to a KTM one or i could always make either a disc spacer or offset the caliper mounting bracket as the sooner i ditch that woeful excuse for a caliper the better.

mudguard mounts are taken care of and i already run a trailtech unit on a custom dash.

as for the rear shock looking at stefans site 400 just gets me the base spec wilbers and i dunno if the base spec one would suit what i want to do with the bike..just not sure if it would have enough adjustability to allow the type of offoad riding i intend to do..maybe just save up some more and get the pro model.

with regards to the piston you reccomend the 10.5:1 compression ratio?...would this still be ok should i end up travelling where fuel might come in plastic bottles?..lol...looking more for useability than outright power if i'm honest.

oh and while i remember has anyone had the crank lightened? if so thoughts/impressions would be most welcome
Old 05-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #14561
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
I must admit I did not manage to figure cartridge machining down myself. I've sent mine to Stefan, he did that and revalved forks.

As for KTM wheel - best decision for sure.

10.5 compression should not be a problem anywhere. My friend run his KTM 690 SMR alongside my DR in Morocco and we once filled from bottles and no problems. And he got like 12 compression ratio...

As for lightening crankshaft....I'd avoid it. Reason - huge piston, heavy stuff, crank dampens a lot of those 2nd level vibrations. You will get quicker revving less torquey motor - not reall DR kind :)

I got my wilbers off german eBay shop, with warranty, new for 550 euros - with all except remote preload (which I do not need anyway).
But that was yearly promotion at wilbers. Normally they go at 630 euros.
But for 400 GBP you will get substantially better than stock unit. And no worries about adjustment.

Fully adj

http://www.ebay.de/itm/D256-Wilbers-...item23132ec1b3

Very basic (still loads better than stock)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/H976-Wilbers-...item53e760b5c9

more adjustable

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Wilbers-Feder...item3cb4a12df1
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #14562
obrut
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurvooss View Post
that yamaha leaning on ur rear disk brake can not be completely good for it i guess Nice pics for the rest, a good habitat for the big
the yams rear wheel just missed the disc...i only fell off because he parked on top of me and until that point i was the only one out of 12 bikes not to fall off

and to Bambi...great band eh run for home is my favourite track by them gadgies...(Geordie, pejorative) An old man.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #14563
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,876
Robo.

Not a sound from Don at Ricor.

I'll see if I can telephone (remember them) and find out what's going on.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #14564
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,800
OK thanks Ray.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #14565
Jakob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
look what arrived today!!
Great thanks to Resi.