User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #14671
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Hello all,
to Spen: great bike, I'm sooo envious when I compare it to my well used Miss Marlboro!
to Simosez: great ride, tall story! That's what it's all about! Best thing to surprise the fellows with an underrated bike. But I wouldn't be able to do so! Off-road I'm lucky if I manage not to fall off ...

OK, now the big question for help:

Marvin (white_bear) of this forum is on his way from Germany to Vladivostok and got trapped with a worn clutch near Novosibirsk (Kemerovo to be accurat). As I do know that lots of us are interested in other part of this forum, too: Has anybody contact to a guy in that region who could lend a helping hand. My wife Iris and me are busy to get spares to Marvin but it would be great to have some guy(s) over there! Please pn me if you are there or if you do know somebody there! Thanks a lot!

Kind regards, Bambi
Old 06-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #14672
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by spen View Post
Resi i will need to order an alloy sump guard from you are they in stock or made to order ?
Spen, there are a bunch bash plates in stock :)

Cheers,
Lars
Resi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:25 AM   #14673
spen
on my arse

Oddometer: 331
PM me the price please
spen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #14674
Bob Herr
Oilpatch Univ. Graduate

Oddometer: 263
Fuel system question -88 DR750

Running up I-57 yesterday at about 75 MPH when the bike dies. I switch to reserve. It is slow to come back to life but finally takes hold and I run another 10 miles to a gas station. I put .8 gallons in the right tank and 3 gallons in the left tank. I expected the bike to take 6-7 gallons of fuel
But it only took 3.8. I switch off of reserve and run another 22 miles home at 75 MPH with no problems.
I think I have a plugged line between the 2 tanks but when I check the service manual fuel system diagram it does not has show any line from the right tank except the reserve. So how does the fuel get out of the right tank to the carb when the bike is not running on reserve?
Are you supposed to switch to reserve to let the two tanks equalize?
Any help would be appreciated. - bob

On second thought maybe a better question to ask is: What would cause the bike to run out of fuel when the right tank is nearly full?

Much Too Young(To Feel This Damn Old)

Bob Herr screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 05:27 PM
Bob Herr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #14675
mait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Bob, the fuel level in tanks should equalize via reserve lines. I guess there is probably clogged fuel line or vacuum in right tank.
I had this problem several times, rust from the tanks was clogging fule hoses and fuel tap.
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #14676
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,829
Make certain your fuel lines are routed correctly.

It's easy to get this wrong without the diagram.

Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #14677
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,768
If ever stuck some where for a quick fix and has worked for me is blow through the breather tubes, take the petrol caps of too and give them a rattle incase they are stuck at the breather.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #14678
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,829
I'd look at the caps first as Rob suggests since that's easiest......then.

I'd have a look at the fuel connector between the two tanks. It equalizes the level (except your's doesn't) by moving fuel from the lowest point in the tanks so it is easy to get clogged if you have crud in your tanks.

Best to do this by draining the fuel and removing the tanks. Playing with this valve with full tanks will invariably put a LOT of petrol on the shop floor, your hands and down your arms. Much better with low tanks on the bench.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #14679
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Hello Rob,
sorry, I didn't see your question immediately: as far as I know there have been a few more than last year. It's been told that there have been some 160, 170 people. Perhaps a few more. The list of registrations said 183, but a few didn't make it to the meeting and a few came over without signing the list.
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 06-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #14680
Bob Herr
Oilpatch Univ. Graduate

Oddometer: 263
Thanks

Mait, Ladder106 and Robmoto, thanks for your help. I looked at that fuel system diagram 3 times and could not get it in my head that fuel equalized through the reserve lines but it obviously does. I looked in the tank with a flash light and can see rust on the metal surfaces so something is most likely plugged with rust.
If you guys ever get to Southern Illinois look me up as the brews are on me. - Bob

Much Too Young(To Feel This Damn Old)
Bob Herr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #14681
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
[QUOTE=Ladder106;21553058]Yes, I do.........

However

I finally bought a strictly road bike. Wanted a big road-burner to get to far away places fast without rubbing all the knobblies off my other bikes.

Lookin' good, Ray. Now all you have to do is chuck the missus on the back do the 'Route 66" trip.
Cheers.
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #14682
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=spen;21598182]Another sunny day so what better to do than stick the tanks on the DR .I had thought of a white seat with the Suzuki in black but i may just go for a black seat to "tone" it down a bit

spen, It's a credit to you. Keep the seat black or it will be too much white. I reckon it looks great.
Cheers.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #14683
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3dro View Post
Thanks Jim, I'm a total novice with electrics so could you please tell me where that would be to check? I'm guessing the 'kill' switch on the throttle controls? I'm going to ask the garage what they have checked this weekend and discuss how much they want to charge me...

Cheers,
P
p3dro, did you get your bike out of that place and get your electrics sorted?
Cheers.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #14684
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

G'day

G'day to everyone and his dog. The site has been interesting of late. Good to see people helping people. I haven't had much to say but I've been lurking.
Been spending a lot of time on my '95 XV1100 and it's been great. The last two times I took the DR800 for a ride I fell off. True story. Two rides, two offs. Both times while moving backwards into a parking space. That's bad enough and god only knows so, so emarrassing in front of people in the car park. But each time it did a little cosmetic damage and had to be touched up. Luckily I had some paint left to fix it. And remember everybody, my bike has been lowered 70mm so both feet sit flat on the ground. Perhaps I should have left it standard where only my toes touched the ground. I never fell off it then! It's mystery and one I hope doesn't repeat again.
Keep well and ride safe.
Cheers.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #14685
wundis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Howdy guys,

A little update on my progress:

Had loads of fun with the carbs on Saturday, boiled them and made a nice soup. Sprayed everything with carb cleaner and let it dry. Next morning I was scared to bits, since I've left everything on the balcony in the open (and I live on the 6th floor) and a windy storm came in. I was lucky to find all parts smashed around in the corners of the balckony, nearly lost the floats...
Anyhow, I have discovered a few things:
one carb:

the other carb:

A keen eye would notice straight away that the needle is not on the same level, and the thread of the needle jet is damaged on one carb.

And vuala, upon a quick check, the needles really aren't leveled:

And the cause is this little washer:

Comparing it to the other one, this one loocked odd, nearly like a diy washer which was slightly too big to fit into the place it was designed to fit in the slide. I polished it slightly, and got the needles leveled. Needles to say, this caused one needle to be raised by a major level, causing the main jet to work on iddle...
1 problem down.

Upon further assembly, I have re-checked the main air jet and pilot jet - positions 34 and 35 (the 2 small jets on the intake). I had the feeling that at some point perhaps during my 52nd carb assembly i had them misplaced. Checked with the manual, got them definitely right this time.

And voila - it runs.

On a test run in the forest I remembered that I had troubles with the battery - damn the beast is heavy.

Mot'ed, insured, commuting today. Hay!

Thanks to all the help guys, much appreciated.

I'm going to start another thread on how to jump-start the sr43. How do you do it?

EDIT: i'm still not 100% happy with the carb settings, perhaps need to adjust the needle/mixture a bit as it feels sluggish on heavy acceleration. the sound goes very deep and it accelerates somewhat slow.
wundis is offline   Reply With Quote