Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2004, 12:08 AM   #16
deangs OP
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
Thanks for all the great advice all. I think I'm going to first replace the lines to SS ones and see how that feels.

Anyone have a good line on SS lines for the old R80GS?
deangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:58 AM   #17
XRsLug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
My old R80G/S had a Harrison six-piston caliper on it, along with a stainless line and a new EBC rotor. Two-finger easy stopping from any speed. If you bounced the rear end at the right point you could probably do a stoppie with this set-up -- highly recommended.
Also bolts directly on, which is a plus. Downsides? Each piston has its own pad, which means replacements are around $85. Check out www.cbtimports.com (that's Cal BMW's import/accessory business).
XRsLug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:21 AM   #18
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,214
I normally buy the parts & make my own lines to suit. For the last few years I've spent a little extra & bought in-line fittings for the caliper end of the line, with a Q/D fitment. I recently fiited such a set up to my g/f R80GS as a Xmas present

The line has a swivel fitting that screws on to a permanent fitting in the caliper, meaning that the caliper can be removed without disturbing the copper washer.

Total cost was £31.00 inc. protective plastic spiral braiding. Able to provide photos if needed?

Steve
Possu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 02:00 PM   #19
Gringo
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRsLug
My old R80G/S had a Harrison six-piston caliper on it, along with a stainless line and a new EBC rotor. Two-finger easy stopping from any speed. If you bounced the rear end at the right point you could probably do a stoppie with this set-up -- highly recommended.
Also bolts directly on, which is a plus. Downsides? Each piston has its own pad, which means replacements are around $85. Check out www.cbtimports.com (that's Cal BMW's import/accessory business).
I've been looking at Harrisons for my '92 R100GS. Apparently CBT, sole N. American importer, has stopped selling new calipers and is now only selling pads and rebuild kits for Harrisons; they used to have a page with a photo and specs on the R100 kit but when I called them to buy a set last fall they told me they no longer stocked them as demand/volume had dropped and they could not make a decent profit after exchange, shipping, etc. from England. Offered to special-order one for me for a much higher price than that still advertised on the dedicated page! Assholes. I e-mailed Harrison directly and after a 2-month wait I got a reply and profuse apologies for their failed email server that had me in limbo; they offered to sell to me direct fm England, but would ship only via (expensive!) registered commercial carrier, which added about $55 to the price. Since it took 'em so long to reply, I had already spent the cash on other upgrades to my bike and now exchange rates are not so favorable, so I am now thinking of doing the 4-pot Brembo thing; appreciate the good info here! Hey Jackafrica, how thick is the aluminum plate you used on that conversion bracket? I think I can manage to work aluminum with my woodworking tools, and that's real nice looking looks like the best option at this point.

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:06 PM   #20
jackafrica
sinking low in the saddle

Oddometer: 426
G'day Gringo,
The plate is 16mm thick high tensile marine grade alloy. Dunno about a milling pass with wood working tools though.
Motorworks in the UK sell modified calipers to suit the paralever airhead GS models. They are a doable upgrade for the later bikes and reasonably priced.
http://www.motorworks.co.uk/rd/home.php
Old 03-16-2004, 12:12 AM   #21
Possu
de-nOObed!

I normally use 12mm thick aluminium sheet. If you're careful & take your time, you can cut it with an electric Jigsaw. If you have difficulty cutting it to shape, drill a series of holes close together & cut through all of them with an Abra-File mounted in a 10 or 12" Hacksaw, finishing off by file & sandpaper. I've managed this with a 1" thick block when making a HD cover for my GSX-R1100.

Steve
Old 03-16-2004, 06:48 AM   #22
Gringo
simple by nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackafrica
G'day Gringo,
The plate is 16mm thick high tensile marine grade alloy. Dunno about a milling pass with wood working tools though.
Motorworks in the UK sell modified calipers to suit the paralever airhead GS models. They are a doable upgrade for the later bikes and reasonably priced.
http://www.motorworks.co.uk/rd/home.php
thanks for the tip - they really do have it all. Their 4-pot Brembo conversion is just the ticket, and quite a bit cheaper than a Harrison (less than 1/3 the price!). I got all excited, spent a half-hour putting together an order, and when I went to fill out the 'enquiry form', I saw this:

We regret that, due to insurance considerations, we are no longer able to export to the USA and Canada.

Dammit! Looks like I'll be looking for some aluminum plate and a hacksaw....
So when I go shopping for a used 4-pot, it needs to be suited for mounting upright on the right side, similar to the 2-pot I have now, correct? Anything more specific I need to know?

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Old 03-16-2004, 08:12 AM   #23
Possu
de-nOObed!

If you have a GS with a single caliper mounted in front of the fork leg, ideally you need a caliper with pistons of the same size i.e Brembo.

If your caliper is mounted behind the fork leg, you can use a caliper with different sized pistons i.e. leading pistons (rear of caliper) should be smaller than the trailing pistons (front of caliper) i.e. GSX-R caliper or similar.

Steve
Old 03-16-2004, 09:00 AM   #24
Gringo
simple by nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickford
If you have a GS with a single caliper mounted in front of the fork leg, ideally you need a caliper with pistons of the same size i.e Brembo.

If your caliper is mounted behind the fork leg, you can use a caliper with different sized pistons i.e. leading pistons (rear of caliper) should be smaller than the trailing pistons (front of caliper) i.e. GSX-R caliper or similar.

Steve
Thanks Steve, that's good info. Mine is mounted in front of the right fork leg, so if I understand you correctly, I could get a later-model Brembo off a K-bike or something, right-side front mount (or maybe left side mount behind the fork would be the same) with two equal-size pistons, and I should be OK. I've read elsewhere how to proceed from there - install pads and attach the hydraulic line, slip the caliper on the disk in the right spot and apply the brake to hold it in the correct position on the disk, then make a cardboard template for the mounting holes on the caliper and the fork; then drill and cut aluminum to match, and find/make spacers to center the caliper on the disk. I'll have to start hunting for a suitable used caliper...

Old 03-16-2004, 01:24 PM   #25
Possu
de-nOObed!

Good luck, anyone with a small lathe should be able to knock up the spacers to your dimensions quite cheaply.

For 10mm bolts, I'd use round aluminium bar of 20mm outside diameter, space allowing.

Steve
Old 03-17-2004, 11:43 AM   #26
Motocicletta
ridetowork

Oddometer: 506
R80-100 Front Brakes

I use the MAP 320mm kit after a long search to improve the brakes on the R100 GS.

I've learned this:

Galfer Green pads, simple effective upgarde.

Braided stainelss line, this with the above can really uprgrade the stock system without $$$.

Motobins in the UK sells a 4 pot Brembo from a K bike machined on the mounting bosses to fir the GS.

A 15mm or 16mm Magura master cylinder really reduces brake lever travel for two finger braking without pinching fingers. This, in my case was the best improvement, I can brake *and* use the twistgrip at the same time. The 13mm stck Magura MC is just to small. See vintabrake.com for caliper - MC ratios.

The above I owe to Ed at Guzzitech.com who can fabricate and sell an braket to mount any e-bay caliper on the GS. Ed is an enginner, not an aftermarket salesperson.

And from the airhead list this:

Paolo Ambrogio schrieb:
>
> '88 R100gs
>
> SNIP<
>
> New pistons? New caliper (how about 4 pot Brembo?). Polish the piston
> & bores & reassemble again?
>
I have not had my 2 pot caliper apart, so my comments will only be about replacement with a 4 pot unit.

The hole spacing on the Brembo 4 pot from the R100R, and the R1100 series, is the same as the 2 pot on the R100GS. I have measured this.
You need a port side caliper to fit the starboard side of your GS, as on the GS the caliper is mounted in front of, instead of behind the fork leg.

It is not so completely simple, however, as the spacing to the brake disk is different. Hearsay has it that approximately 3mm needs to be taken off the mounting bosses of the 4 pot caliper. I have not measured this. I would measure this carefully, and then mill off an appropriate amount of metal.

Supposedly HE Motorradtechnik will supply their 320 mm rotor with a spacer so that the machining is not necessary.

http://www.he-motorradtechnik.de/Eig...msanlagen.html

In my opinion 225 Euro is a much better deal than the MAP rotor.
However, there very well may be some reasons for the additional expense of the latter. Lots of people are happy with it. However, lots of people are happy with the HE rotor also, and they have an extra 200 left over. I have no idea if there are English speaking people working here or not. Probably at least one.

Another alternative is from Boxer Schmiede, 460 Euro for the caliper, pads and line. Subtract 50 if you already have a braided line. This conversion is with a state of the art Brembo 4-pot. I was told by one the owners, "Schorsch", that 3 stops, with full luggage, from top speed did not fade this brake. Complete satisfaction in the mountains. He says that a larger rotor is not necessary. I have not tried this setup, but am looking at it, as the GS brakes are not so hot. "Schorsch" lived in the U.S. for a while, and I assume his English is pretty good.

www.boxerschmiede.de
click on Angebote
click on Bremsen

Alfa Technik has a nice kit.

Spiegler has a nice kit, but it is really pricey.

If your 2-pot caliper turns out to be shot, I might very well go with one of the above options. Heck, I will likely go with an upgrade of some sort on my GS, and my caliper is still good. But, hopefully someboday else can give you some advice on where your rebuild has gone bad.

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS
Motocicletta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:25 PM   #27
Gringo
simple by nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Sant'Ambr
The hole spacing on the Brembo 4 pot from the R100R, and the R1100 series, is the same as the 2 pot on the R100GS. I have measured this.
You need a port side caliper to fit the starboard side of your GS, as on the GS the caliper is mounted in front of, instead of behind the fork leg.

It is not so completely simple, however, as the spacing to the brake disk is different. Hearsay has it that approximately 3mm needs to be taken off the mounting bosses of the 4 pot caliper. I have not measured this. I would measure this carefully, and then mill off an appropriate amount of metal.
Thanks, Paolo, this is EXACTLY what I needed to know, to be able to go out and shop for a new caliper!

If you read my previous post, you'll see that I tried to get a caliper from motorworks, adapted to my R100GS, but they won't ship to the US anymore. Apparently this is the caliper they 'remachine' to fit the GS.

Old 03-17-2004, 02:18 PM   #28
Motocicletta
ridetowork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo
Thanks, Paolo, this is EXACTLY what I needed to know, to be able to go out and shop for a new caliper!

If you read my previous post, you'll see that I tried to get a caliper from motorworks, adapted to my R100GS, but they won't ship to the US anymore. Apparently this is the caliper they 'remachine' to fit the GS.

Try Motobins.com in the UK, they unlike motorworks will ship to the US.

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS
Old 03-18-2004, 10:50 AM   #29
Gringo
simple by nature

Thanks, Paolo, and sorry, I should've read your first message more carefully.
So today I tried Motobins, here is the reply I got:

"We are unable to locate anymore calipers to do the conversion so we are
unable to help. It is a good conversion providing you have the caliper
machined correctly to suit the GS. Sorry we are unable to assist this time.
Moto-Bins Online sales BMW M/Cycle Spares"

At least their reply came back the same day. I guess I'll have to try one of the used parts places here in the states, or start lurking on E-bay... the info you and the other guys provided will help me alot. Thanks again!

Old 03-18-2004, 12:08 PM   #30
Motocicletta
ridetowork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo
Thanks, Paolo, and sorry, I should've read your first message more carefully.
So today I tried Motobins, here is the reply I got:

"We are unable to locate anymore calipers to do the conversion so we are
unable to help. It is a good conversion providing you have the caliper
machined correctly to suit the GS. Sorry we are unable to assist this time.
Moto-Bins Online sales BMW M/Cycle Spares"

At least their reply came back the same day. I guess I'll have to try one of the used parts places here in the states, or start lurking on E-bay... the info you and the other guys provided will help me alot. Thanks again!
E-mail Ed at www.Guzzitech.com he has done this on a G/S. and can email phots of the work.

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS