ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
igowahoo OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Shoei Hornet DS LEAKS

Hey folks, I'm new to the site and I'm trying to solve a helmet issue. I while back I bought a showy hornet DS. I wrote a couple times with it in the summer and then didn't ride with it for quite a while. When I started writing with it in the winter, despite having tried every change in position I could for the shield, it consistently leaked water into the inside of the shield from right above where my eyes are looking through the shield. This water would fill the pin lock insert that I had and made riding in the rain, which happens not infrequently here in the Northwest, quite dangerous. After for rides in the rain and many tries at changing the position of the shield on the shell I simply tested it by blowing air from my mouth through a tube pointed at the edge of the shield. It was water vapor tight at every point around the shield except those two spots directly above my eyes. I'm wondering if anyone out there has had a similar problem. I've posted it on my local site for another forum and no one has had issues with the hornet DS leaking. On the advice of the vendor I sent it back to a place called helmet house in California who forwarded onto showing. My response was that it was a discontinued helmet and it was used with really no other response. I looked back onto the sites I had been looking at it on and they both said that the shield seals completely around I port. The folks that show you told me it was never intended to seal and that the helmet is just the way it is. At least from the information I've gotten from folks on one of my local forums, it seems none of them have issues with it leaking and only one with a minor leak said it was only at the very base of the shield which was not a particular safety issue for them.

I'm wondering if any of you out there of had this issue. I've tried every variation of position of the shield on the shell with the amount of adjustment that's available and those two areas simply won't seal. From the information I've gathered so far, it seems like mine is a defective helmet. To me, leaking right above where my eyes are looking through the shield makes the helmet fairly useless in my area where it rains s lot. Since I'm not commonly riding with goggles and even if I were riding with goggles, which the info on the helmet says I should be able to , along with the shield, it still seems that if it leaks directly over where your eyes are eliminates the usefulness of having a shield even with a pin lock insert. My pin lock insert consistently filled up with water from the leak above though there were never any issues with fogging if it wasn't raining.

Any thoughts?
igowahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:17 AM   #2
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
No Satisfaction, DIY

If you can't get satisfaction from the dealer or manufacturer you could put a new seal on your helmet. McMaster-Carr carries soft bulb seals in short lengths, most with an adhesive back. Clean Seal has a huge selection, but you might have to buy a 100' roll. Sorry to hear you've had such trouble with both the helmet and lame support. dd
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #3
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,463
Bummer. I've had 2 Shoei Hornet's and neither one of them has leaked greatly in that position, and I don't avoid the rain on my nearly daily commute. That being said, LONG rides in HEAVY rain, eventually I'll get wet in there.

Not sure I understand how water is getting between your PinLock and the sheild though. There is a silicoln gasket on the pinlock that is supposed to be waterproof. You might try rotating the pinlock pins in order to get a tighter seal on the pinlock. I've had to do that before after removing the pinlock for cleaning...it's a subltle adjustment. If lots of water is coming in that may not do much, but if it's just a little bit, maybe you can channel it off to the sides of the pinlock with a better seal.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
igowahoo OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
shoei hornet ds leaks

Thanks. I think it must be the helmet. I have posted to a couple different forums and very few have had this problem. I would understand a helmet that was supposed to be used with goggles having a loose shield but still would expect it seal at the top. Being that I got nowhere with the warranty dept, I'll likely write the marketing and customer service people. The ads say "eye port seals completely. The warranty fellow says not supposed to seal. In the end, leaking just above where my eyes look through is a problem. I think it gets into the pin-loc by the air pressure in the area because I tested the pin loc by breathing on it with a tube and it is vapor tight. No fog past the silicone bead.

Anybody know anyone at Shoei? The fellow I spoke to in warranty was Don. My dealer said he was the head of the warranty at Shoei.
igowahoo is offline   Reply With Quote