ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
TK-421 OP
not at my post

Oddometer: 56
Question Being prepared?

I'm looking for some input and advise from my fellow PNW riders. I've been getting into this adventure thing and now that I'm riding more and more gravel and getting farther into the hills I'm thinking much more about preparedness.

I've ridden on-road for years and on my old airhead I've got enough spare parts and tools to do almost a full rebuild by the side of the road. There's security though always knowing you can thumb a ride if things go sideways... Last time I rode to Oakridge on the gravel I didn't see a single other person for 3 hours so that changes my thinking about fixing vs. walking.

My new bike, F800 comes with a "tool kit" under the seat, (a screwdriver even though the bike uses torx fasteners almost exclusively and a wrench, perhaps these are for snugging the fittings on your espresso machine while camping at the KOA?). Pretty worthless in other words so I'm trying to be prepared without becoming that crazy guy who rides around loaded for a trans-Siberian tour.

Hoping to come up with a complete but sensible tool/parts kit to carry into the woods. Tire changing is my absolute least favorite task and I'm not sure I want to carry extra tubes and a compressor, I'm thinking tire irons, patch kit, and a small hand pump. Is this foolish? could I seat the tires properly with a bicycle pump? I know I should try in the garage to find out first but hey, this is what internets are for.

OK, so for riding around forest service roads, gravel, a few trails, camping, etc. what do you folks find is the "right" amount of stuff to keep on board for emergencies? Ever find you needed something desperately that you didn't have? Any items that you've carried for years but never used?

Thanks in advance for any help. -Paul
TK-421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
redneckmech
Hooked on 2 wheels..

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I'm looking for some input and advise from my fellow PNW riders. I've been getting into this adventure thing and now that I'm riding more and more gravel and getting farther into the hills I'm thinking much more about preparedness.

I've ridden on-road for years and on my old airhead I've got enough spare parts and tools to do almost a full rebuild by the side of the road. There's security though always knowing you can thumb a ride if things go sideways... Last time I rode to Oakridge on the gravel I didn't see a single other person for 3 hours so that changes my thinking about fixing vs. walking.

My new bike, F800 comes with a "tool kit" under the seat, (a screwdriver even though the bike uses torx fasteners almost exclusively and a wrench, perhaps these are for snugging the fittings on your espresso machine while camping at the KOA?). Pretty worthless in other words so I'm trying to be prepared without becoming that crazy guy who rides around loaded for a trans-Siberian tour.

Hoping to come up with a complete but sensible tool/parts kit to carry into the woods. Tire changing is my absolute least favorite task and I'm not sure I want to carry extra tubes and a compressor, I'm thinking tire irons, patch kit, and a small hand pump. Is this foolish? could I seat the tires properly with a bicycle pump? I know I should try in the garage to find out first but hey, this is what internets are for.

OK, so for riding around forest service roads, gravel, a few trails, camping, etc. what do you folks find is the "right" amount of stuff to keep on board for emergencies? Ever find you needed something desperately that you didn't have? Any items that you've carried for years but never used?

Thanks in advance for any help. -Paul
I carry 3 tire irons, patches, plugs, and a CO2 inflator.. You could air it up with a hand pump but may have a combination of carpal tunnel and tennis elbow by the time you are finished the CO2 inflator makes short work of it. I have a Tusk brand inflator, it is cheap, light, small, and very effective.
1990 XR250
redneckmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
redneckmech
Hooked on 2 wheels..

Oddometer: 149
One other thing: Small first aid kit
Very handy if you cut yourself, get a headache....
1990 XR250
redneckmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,191
I assume you are running tubes and not tubless? If so a bicycle pump should be fine, but a cheap Slime compresssor doesn't take up much more space. Of course you need to carry a tube or patches. Personally I wouldn't patch unless it was a last resort. I carry a front tube, that can be used one the rear in a pinch and a couple of Pro-Moto Combo tire irons (Ones with a wrench/ring spanner in the end).

As for tools, the sky is the limit. I've slowly been whittling my tools down to a manageable level. I carry the bare minimums for day rides, but for overnighters I have a tool roll (Roadgear) with a good selection (About the size of a Large Nalgene Bottle). I try to use this same tool roll for doing routine maintainance, that way you know what is missing. The most used tools in there are T-handle socket driver with correct bits, set of allen keys, flashlight, test light, multitip screwdriver, leatherman.

Also carry a small pouch (About the size of a hot-dog) of spares: Fuses, Zip Ties, epoxy, screw assortment, safety wire, spare master link, electrical tape etc. I've used this pouch as much as the tool roll.

Finally, I almost always have a small emergency stuff sack (About the size of a Whopper Cheeseburger): Space Blanket, Survival Kit, First Aid Kit, Water Purifyication Tablets and matches.

There's a toolkit thread that will give you much more and better ideas.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 8,013
Here's a good thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998
Old 04-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
509rider
509rider

Oddometer: 44
I do a lot of gravel road. Be prepared to walk and make a fire if need be. Fixing your bike is great ( I also carry stuff to fix tire and small repair kit) but getting cold hungry and dehydrated sucks. Your bike is big enough that you will almost always be able to get back to it with a truck it need be. In a ideal world we would always have some one to ride with, in reality we almost never do. Bring snacks, water, warm clothes, head lamp a lighter and walking shoes. Good luck and enjoy.

509rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #7
Mr Dual Sport
Wanderer

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
Great thread!

1994 XR600R-Plated
Mr Dual Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #8
TK-421 OP
not at my post

Oddometer: 56
Perfect, thanks for the replies guys!
TK-421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #9
doggitter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
I'm almost in the same boat as you TK. I probably get more nasty, remote area covered than you, learning what all to include for a kit now too. One thing I've decided I will take as soon as I can make it happen is Spor Messenger. I ride alone too much to be without one I think.

We need to meet up and ride, or at least so I can check out the F800.

Loren
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,109
Why I carry toobz..

Framing nail did this 45 miles out on a gravel road...

I covered it with two big truck tire patches. That got me 2 miles out of the deep woods to main forest service road before it totally failed. 4PM, 45 miles up the Smith River, N California, on the wrong side of a rock wall scaling operation that had the road closed to traffic 8 to 5.

Ditched the bike in the woods, took off the rear wheel, sat there to see who came down the road or if I'm "camping out."

A local came by, eventually got to Crescent City 930PM. Next day, got a new tube installed, hitched back up the road, got through the scaling op at noon shutdown and bike rolling at 1PM, but couldn't get out until the road work shut down again!

I had another rear flat on the coast that took two days to fix a couple years ago, the stem tore out, and another big nail tube-killer here in baja last month.

That's why we carry tubes, sometimes they can't be fixed and then your screwed!

"Bad roads, good people. Good roads, bad people." Mama Espinoza
“Ride first, tart second. Sorry bro but that’s the way it has to be.” Cbrit, 2008
“You gas it where I brake!” trackday passenger, Thunderhill, 2005
HellsAlien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #11
wonderspoon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quicksteel!
wonderspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #12
Marine By Choice
Sergeant 0311

Oddometer: 120
I always carry a few highway road flares. Perfect for starting fires even in wet area.
Marine By Choice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #13
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I also like to carry a small tarp or piece of tarp to lay the wheel on while Im changing the tire/flat repair, a pair of Mechanix gloves to work on the bike and small pump bottle of Matrix tire lub(or Windex). Lubing the bead makes it SO much easier.....
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #14
Double H
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,181
Bug spray.

Because when you finally do get that flat, it will be in the middle of a mosquito infested forest.

also tape, for when the rimlock falls apart

Double H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #15
twentyvolume
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hey, so this is kind of a silly question, but that photo above with the rear wheel propped up got me thinking.

When you're out in the middle of nowhere and get a rear flat, what's the best way to get the wheel up and off the ground to take it off the bike? Find a tree / rock to get the bike on? Dump it on it's side?
twentyvolume is offline   Reply With Quote