Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
liceyscrub OP
ADV rider(mostly solo)

Oddometer: 111
Give thanks for Joshua Tree.

Day 1: San Jose to Tulare

Went for my first "big" ride this past week. Thought I would give you a bunch of pics, my first drop of the bike, and a few words as well.

Oh ya... this much fun should be illegal.

I recently added this thermometer to my bike and it is a nice cheap($5) addition with valuable information.

Instead of going to Utah camping like we have done for the past few Thanksgiving's, Brenda and I thought we would take advantage of the nice weather south of us and go to Phoenix to visit my sister and then to Joshua Tree NP. We left on Tuesday about 1pm and I hit up a site in Fresno on our way down to our friends. They had a feast waiting for us at the end of our day. Thanksgiving on a Tues???? tasted just as good. Myron and Andrea had enough food to feed an army, so we had a great time as usual.

Sunset is way to early this time of year.

Of course the camera strap has to get in the way when I am trying to get a picture of the Nor Cal/So Cal border. If you have to ask, the Evergreen represents NC and the Palm is for SC. I know the evergreen seems small, but the old one fell over last year and this is the new one.

Day 2: Tulare to Pheniox (9hrs, 3 stops, and about 550mi) I have a very understaning wife.

Not much to write about, but here are a few pictures.

Mojave stop for gas. We decided to go over Tehachape pass.

Taqueria for lunch. I try to avoid fast food chains and always visit the dirtiest taco place I can find...which is usually the best.

liceyscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:53 AM   #2
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
Looks good Keep it comin'
Old 12-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
liceyscrub OP
ADV rider(mostly solo)

Day 3 and 4

Day 3: Last night we got in about 745pm, hung out a bit, but then went right to bed. Nothing like a good nights sleep after a long day. Today we went to the Thanksgiving service in Pheniox and then hung out with about 25 of our most distant friends(I only knew about 4 of the people there) and had dinner.

We were able to get a short hike in.

There is a nice window in the rock to overlook the southern part of the city.

Games rounded out the festivites.

We then had a chhance to go on the southern hill overlooking the city and watch the sun set.

Day 4: Dirve from Pheniox to JT and arrive at a fellow inmates cabin.

The drive was great and we did not have anything out of the ordinary happen, but just great views and great roads.

In JT I just passed a guy and then pulled into the lane and bam...a cop. Luckily there was a car behind me that thought it would be a good idea to continue on and try to pass me. 1/2way through his pass he noticed the cop, but it was to late.

Pulled off the road and opened a gate to get this photo.

Arrived at the inmates cabin at about 4pm and had picked up groceries for a nice quiet dinner.

Day 5 and 6 are comming.....
Old 12-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
liceyscrub OP
ADV rider(mostly solo)

Final report

Day 5: JT

Woke up to rainy skies and 45deg for the high. A bit on the chilly side, but we still wanted to check out JT and do a hike

after a hike up Ryan Mountain to warm us up after the cold ride into the park, we ran into snow and sleet. It only lasted a little while.

Still managing to smile...heated grips are great and I may never go back.

went on a few dirt roads. Then I decided that we should go on the Geology tour. The sand just soaks up the rain anway ...right??? That is not the case. I was going around 15-20mph with the old lady on the back and then I saw a little muddy soil. Before I could react I was on the ground with my wife and the Bike was pointed 180deg from where it was, and was 90deg the wrong way.

After checking on my wife I picked the bike up and snapped this pic. No one hurt and just a minor plastic piece broken. We turned around and stayed on the tarmac the rest of the day.

Snowing, but just slightly.
We then went back to the house and warmed up.

Day 6: JT to San Jose

Woke up to rain outside......and inside??? Yes inside.

I had to poke a few holes to drain the water faster, as it was comming in at a pretty good clip.

After about 5gal, the water was done and all was well. The leak did not bother us, as we got to stay at this place for free and it was way better than any hotel. I have got to give a shout out to the inmate that let us stay here. Although I will not mention his name (as he may get too may requests) he was so easy going and it was a great vacation and made a believer out of my wife.

The ride home was uneventful (except for traffic and big crosswinds), so I did not take any pictures. Great ride and a lot of fun.