User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #151
Dyno
Tilts at Windmills

Oddometer: 1,750
Aw Shit. Grocery spigot dried up?

Ordered the shirt as a down payment on the next installment. Maybe all us subscribed FF's should oughta order one to hold us over until the Cack collectibles get released.......
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #152
OldSchoolMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Laugh

Quote:
These Columbian fellers where hanging out at the market they where the real deal. They had ridden all the way for Medillin on small displacement dirt bikes. Note the sterile unadventured V-strom with pristine skid plate next to them. The guy has a good job but only 2 weeks per year off.

OldSchoolMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #153
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermin
Ok like I said before there is a country song for all occasions. Every body take a deep breath and inhale some "Hag"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-IJxTd8dCo
I'll buy a round. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFHJ41ktt3Q

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #154
vermin OP
unrepentant thinner

Oddometer: 541
Enter at your own risk

We wake up in Seattle ready for the real adventure to start
Song that Doll and I started singing in the morning and could not stop the rest of the trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWaAy...eature=related

It becomes apparent that Cack is probably gonna make it North of Seattle so I make the decision to make reservations on the ferry up the inside passage. The boat trip would give me a chance to hang out and watch the scenery go by without having my constantly vigilant eyes on the road. This is a significant financial leap of faith. I have no small amount of tension as I have signed up to fling myself an additional 2375 miles into the unknown on a bike that is old enough to have graduated from high school last spring. Vermin moron or rocket surgeon only time will tell. Any way we do the hug, hug, pat,pat with JR and Damsel so fair and head north and east toward Hope B.C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF0zCM5IB7k

By the way as a promotional gimmick to encourage tourism Canada pretty much only hires hot chicks to be their customs agents. Way to go Canada Ay.

Yer average British Columbia scenery

Mental downward spiral triggering event
I was cruising east on some largish road with standard amounts of traffic, toward Hope BC, when I saw what would become the major mind warping catastrophe. I saw a dead smooshed adult raccoon with 2 dead smooshed teenage raccoons. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I have always had a natural kinship with road kill. These are the varmints that where picked last in gym class to be on the dodgeball team. They are slower and less adept at understanding their changing environment than the non smooshed varmints. This particular Racoon had done some seriously poor velocity calculations vis a vis road width and traffic and it’s entire family was flattened.

The brainbucket of doom on the dead racoon highway

“People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.”
Hellen Keller

AAAAARG I start internalizin the dead varmints and ruminatin

ru·mi·nate
Show Spelled Pronunciation[roo-muh-neyt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, -nat·ed, -nat·ing.
–verb (used without object)
to chew the cud, as a ruminant.

to meditate or muse; ponder.
[Origin: 1525–35; < L rūminātus (ptp. of rūminārī, rūmināre to ruminate), equiv. to rūmin- (s. of rūmen rumen) + -ātus -ate1
—Synonyms 2. think, reflect

In other words I am essentially, regurgitating and rechewing mental silage over and over until at long last it becomes complete and udder bullshit. Or as my undyingly negative buddy big Ger says “food for thought gives you shit for brains”
I turn north toward the fear of the unknown while Hope vanishes in my rearview mirror.

The vermin backstory to put this rant in context

1958 Born on a farm as the agricultural era vanished
1967 Moved to the Motorcity as industry commenced to vanish
1995-2000 Went to night school to become part of the information/ knowledge sector and worked my way into a reasonable living just in time for India and China to come online.
2008 Saw some dead raccoons and took it real hard.

In other cultures (primitive?) there is some continuity. Ritual dictates the cycles of life, a boy grows with groceries from his father and wisdom from his grandfather. In our modern consumer driven material culture these links are being severed and dismissed. Fortunately I was raised knowing old school ways from my dad and grandfathers and my dad is being a good wise elder to my kids. I am just having a hell of a time getting the groceries and making sense of a world that increasingly looks like some bizarre science fiction movie.
Long story short I have to get my pups to make it to the other side of the road without getting smooshed and I don’t have a clue how, or for that matter why we even cross the road.

Is it s’posed to be 108 degrees in Central British Columbia

High Hot British Columbia Desert

I am kind of like an older greyhound track racing dog, I know no one ever catchs the rabbit, I have recently found out it isn’t even a real rabbit and I also know if I quit chasing it the veterinarian gets out the big syringe.
Now I am given the task of convincing my pups that the rabbit is gonna taste real good when they catch it.
These trips I take them on to show them the world as it really exists may actually confuse them and make it harder to chase the mechanical rabbit.

At this point, with too much alone in helmet time, I become angry with myself for not living in the moment. I have a beautiful daughter on the back of my good running bike in scenery that most people would die for and my thoughts keep ricocheting back and forth through time and space inside my helmet. I have set up plausible negative thought patterns that keep reinforcing themselves and obliterating any good thought that is foolish enough to stagger through.

This mountain ate too much roughage

As I head north the ruminations start mixing with Roger Millers

"Hah-ha I come on TV grinnin,’ wearin’ pistols and a hat
It’s a kiddy show and I’m a hero of the younger set
I’m the number one attraction every supermarket parkin’ lot
I’m the king of Kansas City, no thanks, Omaha, thanks a lot"

It is obvious to me that I am several thousand miles from home and quite probably headed for some nervous breakdown not unlike the one that had Robert Pirsig sitting in a puddle of his own piss with blisters on his fingers where a cigarette had burned clean through.

“I’m a Kansas City Star
That’s what I are
I drive a big old Cadillac with wahr wheels
And rhinestones on the spokes”

vermin screwed with this post 10-12-2008 at 05:57 AM Reason: self aggrandizement
vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #155
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
1958 Born on a farm as the agricultural era vanished
1967 Moved to the Motorcity as industry commenced to vanish
1995-2000 Went to night school to become part of the information/ knowledge sector and worked my way into a reasonable living just in time for India and China to come online.
2008 Saw some dead raccoons and took it real hard.

In other cultures (primitive?) there is some continuity. Ritual dictates the cycles of life, a boy grows with groceries from his father and wisdom from his grandfather. In our modern consumer driven material culture these links are being severed and dismissed. Fortunately I was raised knowing old school ways from my dad and grandfathers and my dad is being a good wise elder to my kids. I am just having a hell of a time getting the groceries and making sense of a world that increasingly looks like some bizarre science fiction movie.
Long story short I have to get my pups to make it to the other side of the road without getting smooshed and I don’t have a clue how, or for that matter why we even cross the road.
Well worth the wait vermin...keep it up...beautiful expression of "life" nowadays.

Life is a participatory sport - say YES and let the adventure begin.
DarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #156
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,840
Brother Vermin,

"With much wisdom comes much grief."

Hang on to the big picture, my friend and keep thinking good thinks.

We're rootin for you!

Truth and goodness will prevail!

best,
Lornce
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:12 AM   #157
rusty muffles
travel for life

Oddometer: 1
get a move on, the weather is changing in the north

A friend of mine in San diego turned me on to your thread, i have been on a 5 week camping trip that started in Los angeles and went all the way to deadhorse alaska[ the farthest one can travel north in north america.
presently i am on the Cassiar highway heading south. The weather is changing for the season and you had better get a move on if you dont want to be riding the alcan ass deep in snow and continding with way below 0 temps.
I am traveling in a 8500 pound dodge truck with all the bells and whistles that make a trip like this as comfortable possible, yet i can go places that most trucks would not dare.
I love your writing style and hope your adventure is all you expected.
be safe and watch out for moose and carribou , they seem to have polarity to moving things on the highway. If you are riding at night i hope yo have a hid headlight,otherwise i would say stay off those roads in the dark for your own safty. I have covered a lot of this territory, so if you have any questions, just shoot me an email.
My travel blog is
rustymuffles.com
rusty muffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #158
vermin OP
unrepentant thinner

headed toward the love boat

Logically/mentally I step away from the monkey mind/ internal dialogue buzzsaw and see a lot of similarities between my train of thought and the unibombers so I horsewhip the monkeys back into their cages and resume a reasonable facsimile of an noninsane excellent adventure.

Winston Churchill said NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVERNEVER EVER confuse your monkey butt rash creem and JB Weld Kwik set.

Summer here is about a week and a half long so all the critters and flora rock out .

Simultanious fleurgasm

We cruise into Williams Lake around dusk. The mental turmoil and the heat of the day has pretty much drained my vitality so instead of camping we get an old fashioned motel as all the modern ones were booked up by a rodeo that was in town. I set up my cook stove and cooked up some grub while Doll read a book. The day was done and so was I. I slept like the dead.

vermin screwed with this post 10-10-2008 at 07:39 AM
Old 10-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #159
flying_hun
Moral Hazard

Oddometer: 303
A tip of the at to Kluts

My old buddy, Kluts brought this thread to my attention. I'm hooked.

Oops, it should say "tip of the hat". Oh well.

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014

flying_hun screwed with this post 10-11-2008 at 09:56 AM
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:22 AM   #160
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Oddometer: 1,765
Teaching your cubs that the "Big Picture" is really a mosaic, made up of a whole lot of little pictures, is a great start on the safe way across the highway. You're kids already have a great head start, they have parents who care, and are involved in their lives. These trips are going to be legen (Wait for it) dary fodder for your grand cubs my friend. Take my word for it, you're doing great, and they will too.
Da Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #161
dogmantra
the White Shadow

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Wildlife

Funny. I know they guy who pastes these wolf images around town. He's an acquaintance and art teacher at my daughter's school.

1968 BSA B-25 Starfire
dogmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #162
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,068
Sometimes (usually) a dead racoon is just a dead racoon.
rufus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #163
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Oddometer: 1,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus
Sometimes (usually) a dead racoon is just a dead racoon.
I've a 7,000 gallon pond filled with Koi. A dead racoon is a good raccon......
Da Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:51 AM   #164
vermin OP
unrepentant thinner

headed to the love boat

We woke up In Williams Lake BC, Roger Miller and his Dead Racoon band have quit playing in my head temporily and It is a beautiful day out. So far at this point we have been “into the mild” for 10 days and have had not one drop of rain. I do a cursory review of the photos and can find not even one single cloud ever since we left San Diego.

I run across some adv riders from Jalisco Mexico at one of the chain hotels. I went over and eagerly shot the breeze with them trying to make friends with people from some place I might want to land. They didn’t really warm up to me (I think frightened is the term). They finally let their guard down enough to ask about route selections down by Kamloops as they are headed home. I was a horrible disappointment as all I had was my Laminated Trucker Atlas and I had not been anywhere near where they were asking about. We get gas and cruise toward Prince Rupert (boat) which is approx. 1.5 days away

This area seemed cow oriented .
Whos idea was it to strangulate a surly bulls test tackles and then sit on it?

I don’t really understand bull riding, isn’t there better ways to mulch yourself? If self destruction is the goal just pilot your scooter amongst the tires of a semi trailer on the freeway.
There was the big yearly rodeo at the fairgrounds and I would have dearly liked to hang out but I have my dagnabbed schedule. I know there is a boat motoring toward a dock and if I miss it my entire routine collapses and I have do a thousand mile detour.
This one time Paul Bunyon tripped over his kids size 15 marching band shoes and sprained his ankle and needed a wheel chair

Majestic forest on its way to becoming Orville Reddinbachers bags and houses and stuff.

I was motoring west on a road and I saw some movement to my right and all of a sudden a big gray wolf went shooting across the road in front of me. I looked to my left and saw this big unit.

We pretty much blasted down the road spending the night in Terrace BC . The Canucks were celebrating Canada Day which is the Canadian version of the Fourth of Julio in the USA. They celebrate not shooting redcoats and not setting into effect a chronic chain of blasting people that don't agree with you, cut you off in traffic, tax you without representation, give you poor performance reviews, irritate you at work or serve you lukewarm coffee. Buy and large, as a group, Canadians seem a lot less hostile. I think they must use h0ckey as a pressure valve. To deflect any accusations of being unpatriotic I will say that of the 200(+/-) countries in the world the USA is certainly one of them and being a citizen has worked out good for me. (as a historical footnote the battle of Camden was won by the british in the revolution because a young sentry named Wilson Charles Vermin was looking around the side of the trail for his can opener when British General Cornwallis launched his suprise attack. Causing one of the major setbacks for the American Patriots)

We finally stagger into Prince Rupert in the morning and I finally semi relax for the first time in the trip.

Dead Bronze Canadians

The bad with the good parenting moments
As we sat in Mommy laundrymat around 10 oclock in the morning (mommy is a chinese guy that runs the shoe store around the corner) several people came in to use the payphone.

Payphone user number1: mid thirties woman negotiates the value of some commercial affection for that days inebriates

Payphone user numberb: semi homeless stinky guy arranges to stop by his vitamin m merchants humble abode to procure his daily dosage

oh well I am showing my kids the world, hopefully they can see how unattractive substance abuse can be.

Apparently big city vice has infiltrated this quaint setting.

I relacks and stop to smell the flowers
Sorry doll your dad is a stone to the bone dork!

We cruise into the customs/ferry departure area and start a 2 day long yapping festival with other bikers and miscellany.
I fortuitously run into a guy (Gold wing Wayne) that I have been leapfrogging gas station to gas station since prince george. He is a newly retired bush pilot from Alaska that gives me several key pointers about how to comport myself around customs and get the primo sleeping spots on the deck of the ferry. Mucho Gracious ay.

GWWayne seems deeply disturbed by my rolling stock and uses every chance to point out how vastly superior his BRANNY NEW GOLDWING is. He becomes irritated with me as I point out that his additional $18,000 investment only provides cruise control and an obligation to worry and polish his scooter. His cruise control had two buttons I had to dwell on the fact that those buttons cost $9,000 each. This set up some good natured tension that was to last the next several days.

Dear big bad iron butt high milage guys these two women started out in Whitehorse Yukon and had ridden down the Cassiar Highway and over to Prince Rupert and where going to continue pedalling up from Haines back to their house in Whitehorse. And they looked good doing it!

Which near as I can figure is about 1800 miles.

I must have jimmied up the wire to my flux capacitor again

Those yapping truck drivers pilot those big semis into and out of the gaping maw

vermin screwed with this post 10-16-2008 at 09:04 AM
Old 10-16-2008, 04:58 AM   #165
vermin OP
unrepentant thinner

intermission

While folks are milling about getting popcorn and smoking during this little intermission I would like to show you a picture (circa 1998)
of the genesis of a truely cackified bike. On the left we have my blank canvas on the right we have the art of the 2nd law of vermaldynamics* (ratropy, bad ideas fall off)

Ingredients

a) old belt drive Kaw 440
1) briggs and stratton pull start
b) 30 or 40 states
2) van running boards sawzalled to size
3) lean angle indicators (curb feelers)
4) anna nicole smith headlight array (headlight nacele from late 50s dodge found upside down in the field behind my house)
5) Alice Chalmers seat suspended with 350ci chevy valve springs
6) Old f150 right side mirror
12.5) Note the curb found barbeekue on the back.
7) barbeeque on back
r) wrotten mink remnants dangling off of tank
&) putrify your pungencense to taste

* the first law of vermal dynamics is never ever wash a good running bike. The only time to wash anything is if it is necesary to get to run. Like pistons you should never have yard waste on your piston.

The show will resume in 10 minutes please find your seats

vermin screwed with this post 10-16-2008 at 07:07 AM